The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: Bozack on May 21, 2004, 07:59:16 pm

Title: This Poll Is Not About #####
Post by: Bozack on May 21, 2004, 07:59:16 pm
Okay, so it's godawfully hot in Kentucky right now, and I spend most of my work day wearing jeans or cords, running around. Which means I am one hot, hot dog. However, I think there might be a solution:
(http://www.utilikilts.com/images/mocker/intro-mock.jpg)
However, here's the thing: you know how there's always some guy who's got a kilt, and wears it, and thinks he's really awesome for doing so? I don't want to be that guy. I just want to be the guy who doesn't like a sweaty ass. Would I be massively lame for buying those?
Title: This Poll Is Not About #####
Post by: AugustWest on May 21, 2004, 08:10:46 pm
PAT!  Don't wear a cape!

Yes, wearing a kilt would be highly affected.

Jeans and cords are hot because they're heavier fabrics.  Get some light weight khakis.
Title: This Poll Is Not About #####
Post by: Mantonio on May 21, 2004, 08:22:30 pm
You might also want to consider getting a specialized licence plate that says RENFAIR for your car.

Seriously, though, I don't think it would be such a negative societal development if dudes outside the arrogant frat-boy demographic started wearing kilts.
Title: This Poll Is Not About #####
Post by: jay-ell on May 21, 2004, 08:51:07 pm
As one who can -- and does -- occasionally wear skirts in public without being ridiculed, I can attest that a good pair of lightweight chinos (the color-neutral term for khakis) are far, far more comfortable than your average over-the-knee.  

Then again, you probably wouldn't wear it with pantyhose.  

Pedro would probably recommend these (http://www.dockers.com/mobilesitelet/flash/mobilePantFrame.html).  According to Time magazine, one of the ten best inventions of 2000.  

Pants.
Title: This Poll Is Not About #####
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 21, 2004, 08:58:53 pm
Are you Scottish?  If so, then get a kilt in your correct tartan.

Clan Campbell RULES!
Title: This Poll Is Not About #####
Post by: wombat on May 21, 2004, 09:26:35 pm
As a female who wears skirts as little as possible, I second jl's opinion.  In fact even without pantyhose, skirts are not as comfortable in the summer as you are imagining.   Shorts are better than anything else.
Title: This Poll Is Not About #####
Post by: Bozack on May 21, 2004, 09:44:50 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
In fact even without pantyhose, skirts are not as comfortable in the summer as you are imagining.   Shorts are better than anything else.

I don't know, man. I've spent some time in some skirts, and the "nadular mobility factor" felt pretty amazing. However, yeah, I didn't want to say it, but I'd feel like I should be rocking out with my renfaire chainmail and claymore all the time.
I am Scottish, but I'd really rather not drop like $500 on the tartan and everything.
However, I do notice that, although the COMMENTS are overwhelmingly negative, the poll is in a three way tie. We'll decide this DEMOCRATICALLY, damn it.
Title: This Poll Is Not About #####
Post by: Pedro Picasso on May 21, 2004, 09:58:03 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
However, I do notice that, although the COMMENTS are overwhelmingly negative, the poll is in a three way tie. We'll decide this DEMOCRATICALLY, damn it.


I got caught up with the chads hanging off my Diebold voting machine.  So I'm giving up on democracy and just telling you: If you wear a kilt to work, half of me will respect you for it.  Really nobody else will.  So that's half a person for you, and about 6 billion against.  Even people in Scotland would be all, "For the love a' crap, laddy.  Put some ##### on."

So from half of my brain to you, "Go for it!"


Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
Clan Campbell RULES!


Aye, the McPhearsons could kick your clan's arse!
Title: This Poll Is Not About #####
Post by: St_Zartan on May 21, 2004, 09:58:53 pm
I actually think that looks fuck*ng rad, especially with those boots. I've also worn a skirt or two in my time, and I think they're pretty damn neat, citing Bozack's "nadular mobility factor" u.s.w.

Of course, going so far as to go out in public under non-Halloween situations might be pushing one's luck. Especially in Kentucky (what the fuck are you doing in Kentucky?). Not because I give two shits about the "you're two years away from an ascot and jewel-studded cane, you precious fop" factor so much as I wouldn't want to have to explain every thirty-fuck*ng-five seconds that yes, okay, technically this is a skirt and yes, I am a guy and no, I don't crave the dick.

But if you can pull it off, get on down with your bad self.
Title: This Poll Is Not About #####
Post by: CortJstr on May 21, 2004, 10:20:19 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
Pedro would probably recommend these (http://www.dockers.com/mobilesitelet/flash/mobilePantFrame.html).  According to Time magazine, one of the ten best inventions of 2000.  

Pants.

I fricken love the mobile #####. I have 2 pair and would love to convert to those entirely except that tha both Hecht's and Penny's stopped selling them and I can't find another other stores that ever had them.
Title: This Poll Is Not About #####
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 21, 2004, 10:23:45 pm
Are they called the Mocker for a reason? Or is that just to set you up for the Mockery you are likely to get if you wear it?  The picture is of a garment that looks significantly less masculine than a "classic" tartan kilt.
The dude also looks much smaller and less likely to crush anyone who mocks him than your average Highland Games competitor.

The advantage that I can see is that you can probably run a little faster in that  than in #####. But if you were wearing #####, less people would want to kick your ass in the first place.

Chinos are the way to go - take it from a guy in a place where hot is the year-round. And humid too. The hot isn't the problem in #####, it's the humidity + sweat - the sac sweat and the chafing are the real issues. Boxers + a cute schoolgirl pleated skirt like this would take care of those problems but would open up a backfiring can of whoopass in some parts.
Title: This Poll Is Not About #####
Post by: pmcd9 on May 21, 2004, 10:33:32 pm
The women say it's less comfortable and I guess they would know.  The guys are pointing out the obvious that A kilt gets a lot of unwanted attention from stupid people just off the turnip truck.  It takes a big man to either put up with all that shit or kick ass on a pretty much constant basis.  Lets face it, if you wear a kilt you are gonna get heckled.  However only a few have pointed out that the Kilt is AWESOME!!!  But Bro., you gotta get the tartan, otherwise it's just a skirt.

The McRae Tartan

(http://www.scotlandshop.net/images/swatches/m%20200x200/macrae-htg-mod-200.jpg)

~Paul
Title: This Poll Is Not About #####
Post by: wombat on May 21, 2004, 10:49:36 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Boxers + a cute schoolgirl pleated skirt


I was afraid to mention it but something like this (except I personally would NOT wear the pleats) is actually the most comfortable solution.

Aw jeez, now I've got strange men on the Internet thinking about my underwear, right?  My momma warned me it would come to this.
Title: This Poll Is Not About #####
Post by: slink on May 21, 2004, 11:31:01 pm
Sorry. No on the kilt. And I'm Scottish.
Kilts are just bad. Bad news. Guys shouldn't be wearin' shorts let alone kilts man.

My best limbic coverage device is my died-black 40's moleskin combat trousers. Both hot and cold depending when you need it.
And they don't show leg. So it's ok.
Title: This Poll Is Not About #####
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 21, 2004, 11:56:33 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Boxers + a cute schoolgirl pleated skirt


I was afraid to mention it but something like this (except I personally would NOT wear the pleats) is actually the most comfortable solution.

Aw jeez, now I've got strange men on the Internet thinking about my underwear, right?  My momma warned me it would come to this.


I just figure all women wear thongs and leave it at that. Simplifies my internet-underwear-thinking considerably. And don't tell me otherwise, I really like my delusion just fine.
Title: This Poll Is Not About #####
Post by: CortJstr on May 22, 2004, 12:13:56 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
The advantage that I can see is that you can probably run a little faster in that  than in #####. But if you were wearing #####, less people would want to kick your ass in the first place.

Unless you're R (http://www.theraveneffect.com/media/images/nwa/nwa417.jpg)a (http://www.theraveneffect.com/media/images/nwa/nwa421.jpg)v (http://www.theraveneffect.com/media/images/promo/nwatna/006.jpg)e (http://www.scottlevy.com/media/images/indies/roh/032203/set2/012.jpg)n (http://www.theraveneffect.com/media/images/indies/roh/090603/001.jpg).



Why yes, I'm pretty bored tonight and do have a cable modem. However did you know?
Title: This Poll Is Not About #####
Post by: Nabubrush on May 22, 2004, 01:56:40 am
Wear the kilt and carry a mace. And, only if people make snide renfaire comments, bash them in the melon.
Title: This Poll Is Not About #####
Post by: V-Adore on May 22, 2004, 02:25:22 am
This may be my own problems with skirts showing through, but I've never found it any easier to run in a skirt than it is in #####. It's usually more awkward, considering that part of the problem with secret junk freedom is having to then keep track of the secret junk &c. I cannot picture this being any easier with men.

My advice? Just get ##### of light fabric, or get shorts with legs. They're good.
Title: This Poll Is Not About #####
Post by: Nabubrush on May 22, 2004, 02:31:21 am
Well, I like seeing people in skirts. Ok, I can only really say that I like seeing the ladies in skirts, but I'm sure the boys look nice in skirts as well.
Title: This Poll Is Not About #####
Post by: Bozack on May 22, 2004, 02:48:39 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"

My advice? Just get ***** of light fabric, or get shorts with legs. They're good.


In response to the stuff about  getting mocked for wearing a kilt: I already wear Capris on a fairly regular basis, because they allow air-flow whilst preventing those creepy red circles you get on your knees when you sit with your legs crossed. I'm not even sure there's that much of a mocking increase from Capris to kilts; I'm pretty sure Capris engender some sort of mocking Event Horizon, after which there can be no more mocking.
I don't know, guys, khakis? Dockers? I'm not a tech consultant YET. I still have a good 6 years before I switch to just wearing khakis and blue button-up longsleeves.
Title: This Poll Is Not About #####
Post by: Mite on May 22, 2004, 12:49:27 pm
Yo. All you need to know - Utilikilts (http://www.utilikilt.com). They're way cheaper than regular kilts, you can get them with "modesty snaps", and they're in all kinds of colors. They've got pictures of guys on the website who can really pull it off. I say go for it! Khakis are for people who are dead inside!

As one of those skirt-wearing chicks, I have to say that skirts are way more comfy than shorts when it's ultra-hot. As long as you stay away from the pantyhose, which I'll assume you will.

One other idea: how 'bout some of those nylon blend cargo #####, maybe with legs that zip off? I love those, but you gotta make sure it's breathable nylon, otherwise the naughty bits will get a little sweaty.
Title: This Poll Is Not About #####
Post by: Mite on May 22, 2004, 12:51:54 pm
I just realized your picture came from utilikilts. That's a new style since the days when I was considering buying one for my boyfriend. Carry on.
Title: This Poll Is Not About #####
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 23, 2004, 12:16:32 am
Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "V-Adore"

My advice? Just get ***** of light fabric, or get shorts with legs. They're good.


In response to the stuff about  getting mocked for wearing a kilt: I already wear Capris on a fairly regular basis, because they allow air-flow whilst preventing those creepy red circles you get on your knees when you sit with your legs crossed. I'm not even sure there's that much of a mocking increase from Capris to kilts; I'm pretty sure Capris engender some sort of mocking Event Horizon, after which there can be no more mocking.
I don't know, guys, khakis? Dockers? I'm not a tech consultant YET. I still have a good 6 years before I switch to just wearing khakis and blue button-up longsleeves.


You were capri #####? Like Mary Tyler Moore? I never heard of such things for men. Maybe you should try a nice pair of culottes or a skort.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you are a transvestite already, then the kilt is probably a step more conservative, actually. Wear what you like.
Title: This Poll Is Not About #####
Post by: Nabubrush on May 23, 2004, 01:44:11 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
I guess what I'm saying is, if you are a transvestite already,

You aren't judging, are you?
Title: This Poll Is Not About #####
Post by: jay-ell on May 23, 2004, 03:35:29 am
Okay, I hate to even say this, because this is not the kind of thing to which I'm usually attracted, but this boy (http://www.utilikilt.com/photogall/gal10/fulls/CT-KILT.jpg) looks fine in his kilt.  

Sorry, Pedro.
Title: This Poll Is Not About #####
Post by: arkabee on May 24, 2004, 01:46:28 pm
As someone with little or no fashion sense, here is my advice:

if you don't care about people making fun of you, wear what you want.

if you care about people making fun of you, wear clothing that submits to the "norms" of your local society.

because, as i understand it (and the fact that i have to clarify that should be most telling inre: my ability to dress myself), clothing serves several purposes:

to stop you from freezing to death,
to stop you from snagging/scratching/scraping soft fleshy bits of important flesh,
and allowing an individual to interact in social situations.

by "dressing outside the norm" you are purposefully isolating yourself from "the norm".

asking your social group whether or not you should do that seems like a good topic for a thesis or something.
Title: This Poll Is Not About #####
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 24, 2004, 02:33:35 pm
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"

Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
Clan Campbell RULES!

Aye, the McPhearsons could kick your clan's arse!


Oh yeah?  Ever heard of a little event called the Glencoe Massacre (http://www.tartans.com/articles/glencoe1.html)?

If you come over to my house for the weekend, you need to be wiiiiiiiiiiiiide awake.
Title: This Poll Is Not About #####
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 24, 2004, 08:06:01 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
I guess what I'm saying is, if you are a transvestite already,

You aren't judging, are you?


Nice for changing my context:

"I guess what I'm saying is, if you are a transvestite already, then the kilt is probably a step more conservative, actually. Wear what you like."

/not judging.
Title: This Poll Is Not About #####
Post by: AugustWest on May 24, 2004, 08:22:24 pm
Oh yeah?  I'm twice as non-judgmental as you intolerant jerks!
Title: This Poll Is Not About #####
Post by: Bozack on May 25, 2004, 01:12:10 am
Girls, girls, you're BOTH pretty.
Title: This Poll Is Not About #####
Post by: Nabubrush on May 25, 2004, 03:10:21 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
I guess what I'm saying is, if you are a transvestite already,

You aren't judging, are you?


Nice for changing my context:

"I guess what I'm saying is, if you are a transvestite already, then the kilt is probably a step more conservative, actually. Wear what you like."

/not judging.

I was only trying to make sure that you are cool with transvestites.
Title: This Poll Is Not About #####
Post by: andalucia on May 25, 2004, 04:28:15 am
Quote from: "jldunston"
Okay, I hate to even say this, because this is not the kind of thing to which I'm usually attracted, but this boy (http://www.utilikilt.com/photogall/gal10/fulls/CT-KILT.jpg) looks fine in his kilt.  


True story, that is.  Can I change my vote to pro-kilt?  I voted before I saw the photo, and I was basing my opinion on the day after the school rugby team came back from Scotland.
Title: This Poll Is Not About #####
Post by: Bozack on May 25, 2004, 07:38:04 am
It's still 9-7-4. COME ON PEOPLE. MIXED MESSAGES ABOUND!
Title: This Poll Is Not About #####
Post by: JorgeFabregas on May 25, 2004, 10:40:36 am
Half of the people who voted pro-kilt are either somewhat malicious, curious, or just enjoy odd things, I'm guessing. It's like when I told my friend with the patchy beard that he should just let it grow to see what happened.
Title: This Poll Is Not About #####
Post by: jough on May 25, 2004, 10:50:22 pm
Well, reasonable people who want to be taken seriously in the world will not wear a kilt in the U.S. because it's odd and will mark you as a freak.

However, college kids can pretty much get away with any fashion faux pas, since people assume that they don't know shit from shinola anyway.

So do what thou wilt, as long as you don't mind getting your ass kicked by rednecks.
Title: This Poll Is Not About #####
Post by: AugustWest on May 26, 2004, 01:16:39 am
I think you should make tiny pånts for each leg.  SAY IT!
Title: This Poll Is Not About #####
Post by: St_Zartan on May 26, 2004, 03:58:05 am
My last comment on this ridiculous subject -

The times that I have worn a skirt, it's been because the girls I've been with at Moments X,Y,etc happened to find the whole concept of a skinny long-haired guy in a skirt quite to their liking. Women have all kinds of secret Thinkings-About that they will never ever admit to anyone, except when they do, and then watch out. Don't even try and lie, ladies. But one wants to be attractive. And one will happily accept shortcuts. HAVING SAID THAT

I did think, while wearing a skirt, "damn, this is actually pretty comfortable in ways" (much as teepees are better, in ways, c.f. the end of Mars Attacks!). I then also thought, "it's a damned shame that my wearing skirts is not, in this day and age, at all practical". Let's face it. If you're a guy wearing a skirt out in public on a regular basis, you either live in an extremely insulated community or do a lot of work in the theatre (-re suffix retained intentionally). Generally, we sacrifice ventilation for not having to shave our legs. And that feels fair.

Bozack, you talk about loose-lipped golden-agers with clit piercings and frank discussions of racy photos at your workplace, to say nothing of your own "gay raver from outer space" (admit it) costume at some sort of company photo-op. If you think you can pull off a utility skirt / kilt / whatever, fuck*ng do it. From the sounds of things, your wearing a skirt in the straight-up sex-fiend environment you somehow tumbled ass-over-teakettle into giving you money for showing up sounds like it could only be a positive.

EDIT: I STILL HAVE PROBLEMS WITH ADVERBS
Title: This Poll Is Not About #####
Post by: Choop on May 26, 2004, 12:16:09 pm
Theater is the building or space.

Theatre is the act or process.


Just thought I'd clear that up. Both have discrete meanings, and neither is pompous, if both are used correctly.
Title: This Poll Is Not About #####
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 26, 2004, 06:56:45 pm
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Theater is the building or space.

Theatre is the act or process.


Just thought I'd clear that up. Both have discrete meanings, and neither is pompous, if both are used correctly.


However, the correcting party may or may not sound pompous while doing the correcting....nothin' but love, Choop....

Carry on.

Also, in light of the recent favorite words thread: discrete is an awesome word and one of those words that separates the power users of the english language from the wannabes, who will tend to indiscriminately interchange 'discrete' and 'discreet'.


ps. As a former STD/HIV counselor and investigator, believe me, I'm down with transvestites, as well as intersexuals, transgendered people, and the whole dandy rainbow of people in minority groupings of gender identity and sexuality. I totally miss that whole scene because it is never ever boring (although it is often overly dramatic).
Title: This Poll Is Not About #####
Post by: Choop on May 26, 2004, 09:21:58 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Theater is the building or space.

Theatre is the act or process.


Just thought I'd clear that up. Both have discrete meanings, and neither is pompous, if both are used correctly.


However, the correcting party may or may not sound pompous while doing the correcting....nothin' but love, Choop....

Carry on.



Well played, friend! Ah-ha-ha-HA-HA-HA!!!</Lipton>
Title: This Poll Is Not About #####
Post by: andalucia on May 26, 2004, 10:02:07 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Also, in light of the recent favorite words thread: discrete is an awesome word and one of those words that separates the power users of the english language from the wannabes, who will tend to indiscriminately interchange 'discrete' and 'discreet'.


That and disinterested/uninterested.  How I love being a Jr. Grammar Ranger.
Title: This Poll Is Not About #####
Post by: Bozack on May 27, 2004, 04:36:46 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
That and disinterested/uninterested.  How I love being a Jr. Grammar Ranger.


When the Revolution comes, you people will be first against the wall.

PEOPLE OF THE WORLD, ORGRANIZE!
Title: This Poll Is Not About #####
Post by: V-Adore on May 27, 2004, 10:17:10 pm
I spent a highly frustrating ten minutes during one afternoon of high school Student Congress trying  to convince another school's delegate that "simple" and "simplistic" did not actually mean the same thing. I am still proud that the words "total fuck*ng dumbass" never came up.
Title: This Poll Is Not About #####
Post by: arkabee on May 28, 2004, 02:36:19 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I spent a highly frustrating ten minutes during one afternoon of high school Student Congress trying  to convince another school's delegate that "simple" and "simplistic" did not actually mean the same thing. I am still proud that the words "total fuck*ng dumbass" never came up.


they say that the youth of today are our future leaders of tomorrow.

your anecdote would seem to explain much.