The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: Nabubrush on May 25, 2004, 02:15:48 pm

Title: Hosting
Post by: Nabubrush on May 25, 2004, 02:15:48 pm
If I was really lazy and didn't want to do any research, could someone tell me in general terms what a reasonable amount to pay would be for a place to host a handful of pictures? The little dingus above where I am typing right now wants $10 a month. Also, is that shit very hard to figure out?
Title: Hosting
Post by: CortJstr on May 25, 2004, 04:01:47 pm
On the recommendation of several dumbrellites I went with JiffyNet. I mainly just wanted a real e-mail account and a bit of server space for my use so I went with the 100MB storage/20GB bandwidth plan for $20/yr.

http://www.jiffynet.net/jiffynet100mb.htm

On that page click on Web Based Control Panel for a demo of the interface.
Title: Hosting
Post by: misterhaan on May 25, 2004, 07:32:02 pm
if you are just looking to host a few pictures, you can get that free.

well, depending on how many pictures and how big they are.
Title: Hosting
Post by: Nabubrush on May 26, 2004, 02:29:08 am
$20/yr sounds reasonable.
Title: Hosting
Post by: CortJstr on May 26, 2004, 03:15:40 am
Quite. I mainly set up the whole thing so my lady and I could stop using crappy hotmail and yahoo mail accounts. We both change jobs too much to rely on work mail. Ditto for using our ISP's address.
Title: Hosting
Post by: Nabubrush on May 26, 2004, 02:30:45 pm
Does a person have to be all braniac and shit to figure it out? Would it help to get a book? Is it like programming?
Title: Hosting
Post by: jough on May 26, 2004, 04:35:24 pm
If you just need an account to share some photos and stuff just fuck*ng *ask* me, dude.

-- the guy with the big server
Title: Hosting
Post by: Nabubrush on May 27, 2004, 09:11:28 pm
Well, see, that's sort of my point. I don't know jack shit about the whole hosting thing. The question that I asked at the top basically is the best question I could formulate from the information I have. Plus, what if I wanted to host naked pictures of my cat? I would assume that you would have access to them then, and how good a deal would that be?
Title: Hosting
Post by: CortJstr on May 27, 2004, 10:35:52 pm
If that's really all you want to do you might consider one of the photo album sharing services with names like "ophoto." I've never used one but have camera obsessed friends who insist that they are just dandy.
Title: Hosting
Post by: andalucia on May 27, 2004, 11:36:48 pm
I use Photobucket when I need to put a picture of something I've painted somewhere, and it's worked well for me thus far.
Title: Hosting
Post by: AugustWest on July 15, 2004, 07:28:26 pm
Quote from: "jough"
If you just need an account to share some photos and stuff just fuck*ng *ask* me, dude.

-- the guy with the big server


OK, I'm asking.  I would like some sort of web presence for a shudder blog and to post some pictures a la prodigal Paul.  Is this something with which you can assist me?
Title: Hosting
Post by: jough on July 15, 2004, 07:44:14 pm
Sure.  Just e-mail me with your needs and budget.
Title: Hosting
Post by: wombat on July 15, 2004, 08:44:59 pm
GO AUGUST WEST'S BLOG!
Title: Hosting
Post by: V-Adore on July 15, 2004, 08:51:40 pm
Ooh, an AugustBlog. Quick, set up an RSS feed and I'll get it onto my LiveJournal friendslist.

such a poser. god, my life is a hollow lie.

But I would like to read August's blog anyway.
Title: Hosting
Post by: AugustWest on July 16, 2004, 07:17:03 pm
OK, it's did.  Such as it is. (http://frank.plagiarist.com/Septiheptihan.html)  Sorry about the big-ass image.  I'll work on it.

[edit: fixed the link - CortJstr]
Title: Hosting
Post by: V-Adore on July 16, 2004, 08:29:08 pm
Dang, man. That is a heck of a Roofter, right there.

("Roofter" makes me feel like I'm doing some sort of 18th-century-typesetting parody, but no.)
Title: Hosting
Post by: Limmo on July 16, 2004, 10:14:28 pm
I would be proud to have a specimen like that hanging around the place.  Awesome.
Title: Hosting
Post by: AugustWest on July 17, 2004, 02:24:31 am
We've had him about two months now.  He belonged to my secretary's daughter, who has chickens.  He was really agressive with her hens and chicks and she was on the verge of killing him.  She asked if we'd take him and we did.  We've never had poultry before.  He's an agressive little cock, that's for sure.
Title: Hosting
Post by: CortJstr on July 17, 2004, 03:18:21 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
We've had him about two months now.  He belonged to my secretary's daughter, who has chickens.  He was really agressive with her hens and chicks and she was on the verge of killing him.  She asked if we'd take him and we did.  We've never had poultry before.  He's an agressive little cock, that's for sure.

I sense a new title for AW
Title: Hosting
Post by: jough on July 17, 2004, 06:32:08 am
Bwoohoohahahaha!
Title: Hosting
Post by: V-Adore on July 17, 2004, 07:08:38 am
Shazam!
Title: Hosting
Post by: AugustWest on July 17, 2004, 04:58:59 pm
Ahem.  When applied to me, that title is half right.