The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Carlos del Vaca on May 26, 2004, 06:33:31 pm

Title: Lileks sux teh coq
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 26, 2004, 06:33:31 pm
Go here (http://www.veryveryhappy.blogspot.com/2004_05_23_veryveryhappy_archive.html#108553067569781729) and scroll down for a rather enjoyable sample Lileks entry.
Title: Lileks sux teh coq
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on May 26, 2004, 06:57:36 pm
That guy does a really good Glennn Reynnolds.
Title: Lileks sux teh coq
Post by: andalucia on May 26, 2004, 10:03:17 pm
That was indeed pretty good.  I get nostalgic every once in a while and go read the Bleat, and it's never worth it... except maybe for his usually excellent header designs.
Title: Lileks sux teh coq
Post by: V-Adore on May 26, 2004, 10:14:17 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
That was indeed pretty good.  I get nostalgic every once in a while and go read the Bleat, and it's never worth it... except maybe for his usually excellent header designs.

I copy this. I haven't visited Lileks.com in ages, mostly because, even with the Institute stuff, it's such a gorgeous visual design with such frequently-loathsome content.

I rather love the parody here, just because it manages to capture perfectly the hypocrisy of Bleats for about the past two or three years. There's only so long that cute-kid stories stay cute when you realize that Lileks really would, on some personal level, want you to suffer for your political beliefs.
Title: Lileks sux teh coq
Post by: AugustWest on May 27, 2004, 01:17:28 am
And the dude is just 9/11 obsessed.  Not that it wasn't a national tragedy and a horrible defining event.  But it's like he's made 9/11 horror the center of his very being.  

Dude, get a grip.  You live in fuck*ng Minneapolis.

Akbar:  O great leader, which decadent festering sore upon the vile body of the Great Satan shall be target next?

Osama:  I have pondered long over this matter, my friend.  Many hours have I spent studying the culture and ways of the cowardly and bloated Americans.  After much thought and prayer, I have come to an inevitable conclusion.

A:  Yes, my captain?

O:  We must strike... Minneapolis.  For it holds that most enormous symbol of American Imperialist Effemininate Commercial Secular Materialism -- THE MALL OF AMERICA.

A:  Accursed Shopping Center!

O:  That, and it's the home of the Metrodome.

A:  Stupid Homer Hankies.

O:  It's was either Minneapolis or Cleveland.  They got the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, and that's hella decadent too, so it was a close call.
Title: Lileks sux teh coq
Post by: Gimpson on May 27, 2004, 03:05:37 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
O:  That, and it's the home of the Metrodome.


I fully support terrorist acts against the Metrodome.  

Fuckin' Vikings...
Title: Lileks sux teh coq
Post by: andalucia on May 27, 2004, 11:31:55 am
Quote from: "Gimpson"
Fuckin' Vikings...


I know so little about sports that declarations of this sort, or headlines in the sports section about one team defeating another make me laugh.  Dolphins crush Senators, etc.
(yep, those are from different sports... couldn't think of two hockey teams)
Title: Lileks sux teh coq
Post by: Mite on May 27, 2004, 12:38:30 pm
Quote from: "Gimpson"
I fully support terrorist acts against the Metrodome.  

Fuckin' Vikings...

::Head spins around::

You shall know my wrath, Gimpson. Only Minnesotans are allowed to insult the great and powerful Vikings!

On a side note, I went to high school 3 miles from the mall of america. It really ain't all that great.
Title: Lileks sux teh coq
Post by: arkabee on May 27, 2004, 01:16:43 pm
Quote from: "Mite"

On a side note, I went to high school 3 miles from the mall of america. It really ain't all that great.


there's a rollercoaster made out of snoopy there.

you have high expectations from life, don't you?
Title: Lileks sux teh coq
Post by: Pedro Picasso on May 27, 2004, 02:49:39 pm
My team won today.  Of course by my team, I mean a bunch of guys I've never met, playing a sport I'm not very good at, for a university I attended, though I was studying when I was there and they are obviously kicking and throwing things.  So yeah, my team.  Those guys I have nothing in common with and probably wouldn't like in person.  They won.  Won the game.  Let's go throw toilet paper.
Title: Lileks sux teh coq
Post by: V-Adore on May 27, 2004, 08:50:25 pm
I entirely approve of the Vikes and the Twins, because honestly, what else can you do?

I will confess that a reason Lileks offends me is that in some way he's a bizarro version of my extended family -- from the same upper-midwest background, with the same pretensions of down-home common sense, but while my mom's folks are actually sensible*, he's some sort of histrionic whine-beast.

* Except for my weird Republican uncle who attempted to raise hairless cats, but he appears to be the exception to the rule.
Title: Lileks sux teh coq
Post by: Nabubrush on May 27, 2004, 09:05:13 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Dolphins crush Senators, etc.
(yep, those are from different sports... couldn't think of two hockey teams)

Well, of course the Fins crush the Sens - it's 11 gladiators to 6! (counting goalie, ok?) Although the 6 have sticks and knives on their feet.
Title: Lileks sux teh coq
Post by: V-Adore on May 27, 2004, 09:23:46 pm
On the subject of hilarious sports rivalries, my personal favorite at the moment is the rift between my college and its hated and despised rival, which dates from roughly 1824(1) and has continued with unabated, NCAA-alarming fervor(2) in the adjoining 180 years.

Both my school and its rival are named after colonial figures somehow involved in their inceptions, and in typical uncreative fashion, both have as their mascots the same colonial figures. Thus, we have the eternal rivalry between the Ephs(3) and the Lord Jeffs. I'm surprised our football teams haven't started showing up with bayonets and muskets.

(1) The man who would become Their president was originally one of Our professors; he decided that We were too remote and, with suitable gravitas and respect, he stole half of Our students and half of Our library books before running off to become Them. We send them overdue slips ever so often, but no dice.

(2) This got to the point that, during the Division III basketball playoffs, we got an all-campus e-mail begging those of us who went to the game to please not yell personal insults at Their forwards and that people wearing the "what do They and shit have in common" T-shirts sold at Homecoming would be ejected from the gym. Go Us.

(3) Short for Colonel Ephraim. No connection to matchsticks and doody, as far as I know.
Title: Lileks sux teh coq
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 27, 2004, 09:31:41 pm
What did she say?

There's a Division III?
Title: Lileks sux teh coq
Post by: V-Adore on May 27, 2004, 09:39:47 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
What did she say?

There's a Division III?

Yes. It is for tiny schools which really shouldn't actually have sports rivalries; my school and Our Hated Rivals are very stubborn about keeping ours in place, lest too much actual studying get done.
Title: Lileks sux teh coq
Post by: CortJstr on May 27, 2004, 10:33:30 pm
We were similarly warned that while The University wouldn't take any action they felt that "UNC Sucks" shirts were not appropriate for football games and to please stick to the traditional orange and blue tie.
Title: Lileks sux teh coq
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 28, 2004, 01:09:19 pm
Yay Division III!  Go Dips!  Boo Amherst!


That's the Franklin & Marshall Diplomats, aka Dips.  I prefer the unofficial team nickname, the F&M Fighting Amish.
Title: Lileks sux teh coq
Post by: V-Adore on May 28, 2004, 10:10:25 pm
If the University of Nebraska Lincoln, a school which concentrates on its sports teams to the detriment of fundamentally everything else, can have national-quality football (and other) squads named "the Cornhuskers," a Div III school should certainly be The Fighting Amish. It isn't like we aren't living up to the big boys' standards of dignity.
Title: Lileks sux teh coq
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 29, 2004, 12:22:01 am
That's not the standard Division I-A cares about. I mean, I went to a school where our Mascot was a guy with a nut for a head.

And we CRUSH at football most of the time.
Title: Lileks sux teh coq
Post by: Ben-San on May 29, 2004, 01:51:52 am
Earlham had (and presumably still has) the Quakers.

"Fight, fight, inner light!
Kill, Quakers, kill!
Knock them down! Beat them senseless!
Do it till you reach consensus!"

..was allegedly the cheer, but it was pretty easy to totally ignore sports and I kind of did.
Title: Lileks sux teh coq
Post by: andalucia on May 29, 2004, 04:13:19 pm
That is seven kinds of totally great.  I'd say those blasted Quakers deserve whatever they get, but my opinion's tainted from being forced year after year as a child to attend Quaker summer camp.
Title: Lileks sux teh coq
Post by: Ben-San on May 29, 2004, 09:21:27 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
That is seven kinds of totally great.  I'd say those blasted Quakers deserve whatever they get, but my opinion's tainted from being forced year after year as a child to attend Quaker summer camp.


From what I understand there are two major movements of Quakerism in the US, one of which is rather mellow and laid-back and the other of which is relatively uptight. Earlham is run by the mellow kind.

My other major experience with Quakers was a high school friend who practiced aikido and always got 100% accuracy on arcade light-gun games, so either I've been lucky with who I've met or it's a good thing for the rest of the world that Quakers are pacifists.
Title: Lileks sux teh coq
Post by: andalucia on May 29, 2004, 10:25:45 pm
Oh yeah, these were the mellow kind.  I just thought they were too damn into singing and cuddling.

But, uh, feel free to resume the non-digressive end of this thread; don't mind me.
Title: Lileks sux teh coq
Post by: V-Adore on May 29, 2004, 10:34:37 pm
Quote from: "Ben-San"

My other major experience with Quakers was a high school friend who practiced aikido and always got 100% accuracy on arcade light-gun games, so either I've been lucky with who I've met or it's a good thing for the rest of the world that Quakers are pacifists.

We really need more spaghetti westerns about pacifist Quaker weapons masters.

I don't think we actually have any clever cheers around here, unless "AMHERST SUCKS" and "CHOKE, CHOKE, CHOKE, CHOKE" (directed towards opponent taking free throw) count, which they most assuredly don't. I do my best to forget the fact that, as highly elite small liberal-arts colleges go, we are, in fact, brutally troglodytic.
Title: Lileks sux teh coq
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 29, 2004, 11:46:28 pm
The clever cheers at schools like that are for the chess team and the debate team anyhow.
Title: Lileks sux teh coq
Post by: AugustWest on May 30, 2004, 01:55:00 am
Um, my alma mater's basketball team has won more games than any other teams and has 7 national championships.

I'm just sayin' is all...
Title: Lileks sux teh coq
Post by: Nabubrush on June 01, 2004, 03:24:37 pm
We had blue turf and a national championship in football.

ok, division I-AA, but still.
Title: Lileks sux teh coq
Post by: side_show on June 02, 2004, 02:24:31 pm
I am so ig'nant. I thought this post was about crappy Canadian band Lillix:

 http://www.muchmusic.com/music/artists/index.asp?artist=699

Also, to be more stupid "sux teh coq" means sucks the cock, right?
Title: Lileks sux teh coq
Post by: CortJstr on June 02, 2004, 04:11:09 pm
Quote from: "side_show"
Also, to be more stupid "sux teh coq" means sucks the cock, right?

Right. And w00t! means . . . well it just means w00t!
Title: Lileks sux teh coq
Post by: andalucia on June 02, 2004, 09:57:47 pm
Quote from: "side_show"
crappy Canadian band Lillix


I loathe them so!  Why must they take my given name, remove the final letter, and add an idiotic suffix?  It just. isn't. fair.
Title: Lileks sux teh coq
Post by: TALKYdude on August 21, 2004, 07:49:20 am
I thought the Instapundit and Kausfiles parodies were hysterical. The Lileks one left me cold though, didn't even twitch. I just didn't think it was very funny. It seemed kind of mean spirited and overwrought, really.
Title: Lileks sux teh coq
Post by: V-Adore on August 21, 2004, 09:17:19 pm
Quote from: "TALKYdude"
I thought the Instapundit and Kausfiles parodies were hysterical. The Lileks one left me cold though, didn't even twitch. I just didn't think it was very funny. It seemed kind of mean spirited and overwrought, really.

Nah, I get you. I guess it just hit home for me because the Bleat, to me, often comes off as very mean-spirited and overwrought, too. The parody wasn't all that funny, but it was very, very accurate.