The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Bozack on May 27, 2004, 06:39:04 am
-
Okay, it is official. Uncle Culpepper is AMAZING. As is the second to last frame. Ray has finally found someone more easily suckered than him. And the contrast between Culpeppers statements, and Rays translations, is basically treasure.
Also, I finally start a topic.
-
Ray even looked sceptical at the name Pregnancy F/X. Is he wising up?
This reminded me of a machine they had (have?) at the Sydney Powerhouse museum that takes your photo, and someone else’s. Then returns an image of what your child could look like.
It was nasty.
-
This is indeed a pretty great comic, in that it did in fact make me laugh audibly, or LOL if you will.
I don't think I would want a picture of myself pregnant or of a child I could accrue during said pregnancy, however. And now the idea is stuck in my head. This will be a weird day.
-
At one of the maternity stores I went to when my sister-in-law was pregnant for the first time, they have a strap-on belly that you can wear to see how different clothes will fit you when you're out to |........) here. It's kind of amusing, but Sis couldn't convince me to try it on.
-
Wow. It's not just Ray who is the greatest, it's just his entire family. Great stuff.
-
At one of the maternity stores I went to when my sister-in-law was pregnant for the first time, they have a strap-on belly that you can wear to see how different clothes will fit you when you're out to |........) here. It's kind of amusing, but Sis couldn't convince me to try it on.
I took a bunch of actors to the costume lab of the U of Wpg theatre department because I needed to get them suited of for a play I was directing, and while they were trying on costumes, I found a pregnancy belly. I wore it around school under my clothes for several hours, went to the cafeteria and talked very loudly about how drunk I got at the bar the night before. People looked very angry. T'was funny.
-
Yes, now that you mention it, I took a tour of the costume warehouse of the Stratford Festival (http://www.stratford-festival.on.ca/) when I was little, and my second-favourite thing after being able to try on comedic hats was the long row of various fake pregnancy/Falstaff bellies slung casually along a railing.
-
This strip is basically like treasure, particularly Uncle Culpepper's phrasing. We need more use of the phrase "parturient condition."
-
I took a bunch of actors to the costume lab of the U of Wpg theatre department because I needed to get them suited of for a play I was directing, and while they were trying on costumes, I found a pregnancy belly. I wore it around school under my clothes for several hours, went to the cafeteria and talked very loudly about how drunk I got at the bar the night before. People looked very angry. T'was funny.
Sweet!
I'm afraid I'm not completely sold on Uncle Culpepper. This is twice in two days, however, that I've read the word "parturient".
-
I'm afraid I'm not completely sold on Uncle Culpepper. This is twice in two days, however, that I've read the word "parturient".
To be fair, Uncle Culpepper could still go either way, at least in my opinion. He's funny now, but if he keeps this up too long, it'll get old. It really just depends whether 'stad handles the character gracefully or not -- and that, as always, is a big ol' open question.
-
I'm fairly certain that it's just me, but the whole "hey look, we're talking old-timey" just doesn't do it too much for me. I love the character art, though, and the concept in this strip. It's just the dialog that I'm not fully into.
-
Anyone ever see the SNL with Christopher Walken skit about Colonel Angus? That's what this strip reminds me of. Perhaps this is why it hasn't really won me over yet either.
-
I'm fairly certain that it's just me, but the whole "hey look, we're talking old-timey" just doesn't do it too much for me. I love the character art, though, and the concept in this strip. It's just the dialog that I'm not fully into.
See, I confess I'm digging it just for the turn of phrase. Onstad really has a talent for pithy dialogue, and it's particularly demonstrated when he writes these sort of "character dialects"; since he's writing the old-timeyness in a clever way, I can dig, much in the same way that his "slightly antiquated Californian slang" style was a jumping-off point for particularly clever dialogue with Ray and eventually solid character voices.
But hey, YMMV.
-
It is possible Ray is the creator of Pregnancy F/X, as part of a strange cycle of nephews defrauding uncles over the internet?
-
It is now.