The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: miles on June 02, 2004, 04:00:16 am

Title: my stupid life
Post by: miles on June 02, 2004, 04:00:16 am
My life is stupid.  Maybe someone, some kind soul, can help me with one aspect of my stupid, stupid life.

See, on May 7, I visited several web pages.  A few here, a few there, you know.  Achewood, was, of course, one of them, as was slate, and pitchfork, imdb and a few others.  Since then, on several of those websites, when I visit them again, THEY ARE STUCK ON MAY 7!!!  It is absolutely maddening!  With slate, achewood, and pitchfork, by slightly altering the usual url I would use, I can get the current updates.  But on several others, IT IS STILL STUCK!  It only happens with those websites I was visiting on, or around, May 7.  Any ideas?  A virus or worm or whatever?
Title: my stupid life
Post by: AugustWest on June 02, 2004, 04:03:22 am
What are you talking about?  It is May 7.

Yours truly,

Needlenose Ned.
Title: my stupid life
Post by: miles on June 02, 2004, 04:17:23 am
Man - you have no idea!  I seriously was going insane for a couple of days.  I really thought that either I was dreaming, hallucinating, or part of some world wide web conspiracy.  It didn't help that I was in the process of quitting my "meds," so I was already totally out of it.

Quote from: "AugustWest"
What are you talking about?  It is May 7.

Yours truly,

Needlenose Ned.
Title: my stupid life
Post by: AugustWest on June 02, 2004, 04:37:38 am
Rise and shine, campers, and don't forget your booties 'cause it's cooooold out there today!

Have you ever had déjà-vu?
Didn't you just ask me that?
Title: my stupid life
Post by: miles on June 02, 2004, 04:44:35 am
Man, all you guys is gonna do is fuck with me, huh?

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Rise and shine, campers, and don't forget your booties 'cause it's cooooold out there today!

Have you ever had déjà-vu?
Didn't you just ask me that?
Title: my stupid life
Post by: AugustWest on June 02, 2004, 05:13:59 am
Rise and shine, campers, and don't forget your booties 'cause it's cooooold out there today!

Have you ever had déjà-vu?
Didn't you just ask me that?
Title: my stupid life
Post by: Bozack on June 02, 2004, 05:50:14 am
Ha, this is totally a "Ray-Beef" thread.
Title: my stupid life
Post by: miles on June 02, 2004, 05:54:48 am
Heh heh, and which one am I?  (And are you implying I am computer stupid?)

But seriously friends, if anyone can help...

A big thanks is in store.

Quote from: "Bozack"
Ha, this is totally a "Ray-Beef" thread.
Title: my stupid life
Post by: andalucia on June 02, 2004, 10:27:35 am
Trying clearing your cache.
Title: my stupid life
Post by: slink on June 02, 2004, 11:10:04 am
Yea, CTRL+R surely.
Title: my stupid life
Post by: CortJstr on June 02, 2004, 12:44:17 pm
IE definitely likes to misbehave when the Temporary Internet Files gets full so that's probably the best bet. Plus you'll clear out a bunch of nasty old cookies in the process.
Title: my stupid life
Post by: miles on June 02, 2004, 02:47:23 pm
Done, done and done.

Refresh was the first thing I did, plus the cache/temporary internet files have been cleared numerous times, and I have been deleting the history folder vigilantly.

Quote from: "CortJstr"
IE definitely likes to misbehave when the Temporary Internet Files gets full so that's probably the best bet. Plus you'll clear out a bunch of nasty old cookies in the process.
Title: my stupid life
Post by: Pedro Picasso on June 02, 2004, 03:32:37 pm
Quote from: "miles"
Done, done and done.

Refresh was the first thing I did, plus the cache/temporary internet files have been cleared numerous times, and I have been deleting the history folder vigilantly.


As well you should.  I would additionally recommend that you get a better browser (http://mozilla.org/products/firefox/) and only use IE as a backup.


Firefox Setup for Windows (http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/0.8/FirefoxSetup-0.8.exe)
Firefox Extensions List (http://texturizer.net/firefox/extensions/)  Get AdBlock, ImageZoomer, and IEView and you will be set for life.
Title: my stupid life
Post by: CortJstr on June 02, 2004, 04:15:00 pm
Who's your ISP? Do you have any of those dial-up accelerators? Have you tried a hard refresh (I believe it's ctrl+F5 in IE)

Edit: Don't forget the Tabbrowser Extension (http://texturizer.net/firefox/extensions/#tbe). It's what makes the web worth browsing.
Title: my stupid life
Post by: miles on June 02, 2004, 07:26:54 pm
Earthlink.  It's free for a few more months, then I'll probably get a high speed connection of some sort.  And I do use the earthlink accelerator.  I tried the ctrl+F5, and it did appear to refresh but it didn't change anything.

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Who's your ISP? Do you have any of those dial-up accelerators? Have you tried a hard refresh (I believe it's ctrl+F5 in IE)

Edit: Don't forget the Tabbrowser Extension (http://texturizer.net/firefox/extensions/#tbe). It's what makes the web worth browsing.
Title: my stupid life
Post by: miles on June 02, 2004, 07:28:49 pm
Wait a minute, you genius you!  I just went to the accelerator options and cleared THAT temp file, and it appears to have done the trick.  Thanks, thank you and thank you.  You are a good kind person.

Edit:

And thanks to the rest of you who helped, and to those who made fun.  It was a good laugh.  I somehow knew that I would find the answer here.

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Who's your ISP? Do you have any of those dial-up accelerators? Have you tried a hard refresh (I believe it's ctrl+F5 in IE)

Edit: Don't forget the Tabbrowser Extension (http://texturizer.net/firefox/extensions/#tbe). It's what makes the web worth browsing.
Title: my stupid life
Post by: AugustWest on June 02, 2004, 09:06:38 pm
Rise and shine, campers, and don't forget your booties 'cause it's cooooold out there today!

Have you ever had déjà-vu?
Didn't you just ask me that?
Title: my stupid life
Post by: arkabee on June 03, 2004, 12:28:16 am
Quote from: "miles"
Wait a minute, you genius you!  I just went to the accelerator options and cleared THAT temp file, and it appears to have done the trick.  Thanks, thank you and thank you.  You are a good kind person.


*ring*ring*
Hello? Earthlink?

-Ya.

Um, so, tell me about how your internet is faster than the internet i have now?

-Ya, we have an accelerator, and it makes the internet, faster.

Um, so, I download a web page, and um, it's faster?

-Ya, everything that you download, see, our Accelerator, see, it SAVES it to your computer!!

Um, so i don't have to download it again, right?

-Ya, right!  you aren't too stupid.

Um, ya, so, that would be why weather.com is telling me that there's a 98% chance of snow today? In July? In Tennessee?

-....

Um, ya, so, uh, how're those $cientoligists treating you guys?  You ever just miss

*click*