The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: andalucia on June 03, 2004, 10:40:53 am
-
Nooo!
Well, I guess this means more post-life antics. I'm ambivalent about that.
Secondly, Jesus Christ, I've got to stop getting up so early.
-
Well, I guess this means more post-life antics. I'm ambivalent about that.
What I thought, but then I considered Molly.
Oh, and yea, Jesus Christ I gotta stop getting up.
-
Oh yeah, like I didn't see that coming.
Really, I didn't, but it feels like I should have.
-
BEEEEEEEEFFF!!!!!
Oh. Wait. He just got shot again. No big deal. But who shot him? Was it Ray or Culpepper? And how am I going to make it as far as lunch without getting some KFC®? Dang I need some Crispy Strips!
Hey, is that story arc pull down on the front page new? I don't remember noticing that before today. Not a bad idea.
-
heheheh. crafty onstad starts a whole complex family feuding story arc, just so beef can get shot again. i nearly leapt with glee. the timing of that is perfect.
-
gut reaction when seeing comic
AUGH!!
-
BEEEEEEEEFFF!!!!!
Oh. Wait. He just got shot again. No big deal. But who shot him? Was it Ray or Culpepper? And how am I going to make it as far as lunch without getting some KFC®? Dang I need some Crispy Strips!
Hey, is that story arc pull down on the front page new? I don't remember noticing that before today. Not a bad idea.
Well Culpepper had said before that he wouldn't actually fire on kin but maybe since Ray's an adult that's different. Besides, Ray has shot Beef at least twice in the past. And hey, maybe Beef can actually get some kisses this time.
And KFC? Do you live in some kind of horrid Popeye's deprived area or something?
http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?t=986
-
Dang, Beef's gonna run out of lives. Aren't we on 4 or 5 and counting. I mean, he's only got 9 and all...
-
It's totally Little Nephew who shot him this time. Totally.
-
Beef's been shot! YAAAAAAAAAY! Molly here I come!
-
But Molly sent him a nice shirt in the alive world. (I'm either too lazy or too at-work to dig up the strip where Beef receives and buries it.) She might be alive when he gets up there. What will he do?
HE'LL CHILL WITH BLISTER AND GET HIS SWERVE ON.
-
(I'm either too lazy or too at-work to dig up the strip where Beef receives and buries it.)
You really blew it this time, Pedro. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02182004)
-
Wow, I was really not expecting this, but I'm always for more hot Molly-Beef action.
Isn't Molly the cutest girl name? Can't you see yourself with a girl like that? All eating shepard's pie, going to bookstores and coffee shops, all listening to the Dirty Three and reading in bed.
God I'm so alone.
-
Why weren't there any roller skates in this one?
-
OMG they killed
Kenny Roast Beef!
At least he's already at the hospital this time.
-
It's totally Little Nephew who shot him this time. Totally.
I thought that at first too, since it says "Nephew!" but don't forget that Culpepper is Ray's uncle and thus LN's great uncle.
Since the bullet passed clean through this time I guess it won't mess up Beef's wireless internet or Aibo lung.
-
I was cheering at the last panel. Who knew a depressed cat's death could bring such joy?
I hope this was a stroke of genius and not Onstad all being out of ideas and like "well, i guess i could off Beef again......(sigh)"
-
I'm excited. After the golf talk in another thread, I was rereading the Nightlife Mingus storyline just yesterday and ended up wondering when we'd see Molly again.
So the question is: Will beef confront Molly about his discovery in her bathroom last time they met?
-
I was cheering at the last panel. Who knew a depressed cat's death could bring such joy?
I hope this was a stroke of genius and not Onstad all being out of ideas and like "well, i guess i could off Beef again......(sigh)"
I fear that. At this point it almost feels like Beef dying is sort of the way for Onstad to end an arc that he isn't quite satisfied with; I guess I would have hoped for a better ending, or at least a more unique one.
I do like Emeril's dialect, though. Aggryvated!
-
Okay, does Emeril have an accent/dialect that somebody here recognizes or is Onstad having a laugh? "He did grab hine heart"? The hell?
-
I was struggling with Emeril's 'dialect', too. I don't know who says 'hine'.
How many times has beef been dead now? (assuming he's going to die this time)...Shot twice, wrecked the golf cart and self-electrocuted so far, I think. Were there more?
Uncle C is in for a good time if Tina tried to swallow that Crazy Stick the long way to impress him. Stupid to shove it in her windpipe, though.
-
How many times has beef been dead now? (assuming he's going to die this time)...Shot twice, wrecked the golf cart and self-electrocuted so far, I think. Were there more?
We know that Ray shot Beef at least once before the strip started then again when he got the wireless internet.
But when Beef was in seen in heaven after Pat shot him he's acting like it's new to him. So either the Ray shootings didn't kill Beef, he went to hell during those (unlikely), or he went to some kind of purgatory (but then what did he do to get upgraded to heaven in the meantime?).
So I'm going to say the Ray shootings so far have not been fatal for Beef.
-
Wow, I was really not expecting this, but I'm always for more hot Molly-Beef action.
Isn't Molly the cutest girl name? Can't you see yourself with a girl like that? All eating shepard's pie, going to bookstores and coffee shops, all listening to the Dirty Three and reading in bed.
God I'm so alone.
I was in love with a girl named Molly once. Then she moved off to college and I never seen her agin. It was also hella awkward when I revealed my crush. The prose in that love letter was so purple I bet it stained her fingers.
-
My OED has this to say about hine:
Obs. exc. dial.
Forms: 1 hiene, 1–2 hyne, 1–4 hine, 2–5 hin, 4–5 hyn, hen; 8–9 s.w. dial. en, un, 'n. [OE. hine, hiene, accusative of he; cognate w. OFris. hine (hini, hin), MDu. hin, hen; and parallel in inflexion to OS. and Goth. ina, OHG. in, inan (MLG. ine, ene, MHG. in, Ger. ihn).
In English, as in Frisian and Dutch, this original accusative has been superseded by the dative him. Already before 1000, traces are found of the dative form used instead of the acc., and before 1150 hine was obsolete in the north and midlands. Hine was used in Kentish (beside him) in 1340, but appears rarely in literature after 1400, though still, in the reduced form Sn, En, 'n ((@)n), the ordinary form of the accusative in s.w. dialects, as ‘we zeed 'n gwayn’, we saw him going. (See Barnes Dorset Gram. (1863) 20, Elworthy W. Somerset Gram. (1877) 36.)]
= him, direct objective. Also refl.
c855 O.E. Chron. (Parker MS.) an. 787 Hiene mon ofslo¼. 898 Ibid. an. 894 Hi hine ne mehton ferian. c1000 Gosp. Nicodemus v, Gelęde hyne in to me. 1126 O.E. Chron. (Laud MS.), He sende him to Walingeforde+and let hine don on harde bande. c1175 Lamb. Hom. 19 We hine sculde luuian. Ibid. 23 Ža man že beoš in že castel and hin Šemeš. c1205 Lay. 584 Mid him he hine lędde. Ibid. 26371 Let hine halden France [c1275 let him holde]. a1225 Ancr. R. 86 Že uorme+preiseš hine biuoren himsulf, & makeš hine+Šet betere žen he beo. c1250 Gen. & Ex. 3004 FleŠes kin sal hin ouergon. c1250 O. Kent. Serm. in O.E. Misc. 26 Hi wolden gon for to hyne anuri. Ibid. 27 Al swo hi hedden ifonden ure louerd, swo hin anurede. 1340 Ayenb. 16 LiŠtbere že angel+him wolde emni to god, žet hine zo uayr an zuo guod hedde y-mad. c1450 Lonelich Grail xxxviii. 374, I saw hyn fyhten as I vndirstond. 1746 Exmoor Scold. (E.D.S.) 208 Whan tha hadst cort en by the heend Legs o'en. Ibid. 256 Tha wud'st ha' borst en to Shivers, nif chad net a-vung en. a1754 Fielding Fathers iii. i, I would a brought un to town, but the dogs would not spare un. 1785 S. Fielding Ophelia II. iv, They called the dead halloo, and cried out—‘To-un, boys, to-un!’ 1856 Punch Jan. 37 Each feller I met, ‘Didst thee zee un?’ did cry.
b. Rarely (by confusion) for the dative.
1127 O.E. Chron. (Laud MS.), Se kyng of France+ięf hine žone eorldom, and žet land folc him wiš toc
Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_language_cases) has a nice discussion of language cases; you can look up the accusative and the dative there. I did, but I'm no smarter about this than I was before. Sigh.
-
Wouldn't it be creepy if, each feller you met, "didst thee zee un" wouldst he cry?
-
I thought it didn't sound right, but I resisted looking it up because I am trying not to be in that line of work, or thought, anymore.
So Emeril is terribly confused then, if 'hine' is accusative or even confusedly dative, because he should be using a genitive at that position in that sentence. I wonder if Onstad got a bad grade in Old English Grammar. (And here I resist the impulse to look up whether they offer Old English at Stanford. They certainly ought to.)
Perhaps he is terribly drunk? (Emeril, not Onstad.) I don't know if that's the sort of mistake drunk people make, though. There's so little case-marking in English, it's hard to test. Do any of you find yourselves mixing up 'she' and 'her', for example, when under the influence?
PS Oh god poor Beef. I totally did not see this coming, I am every author's easily surprised dream reader.
-
so depending on wich way we look at it, beef is either down to 7 lives, or 3. jesus, you'd better be able to get a refill.
-
If I was an insurance salesman, I would not take business from either Roast Beef or Shelley from Scary-Go-Round. Those two are definitely high risk.
-
Dude, Spongebath and Emeril are totally Juggalos.