The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: Lane on June 03, 2004, 08:47:11 pm

Title: Why can't I use the five-letter word?
Post by: Lane on June 03, 2004, 08:47:11 pm
*****.

What's the story here?
Title: Why can't I use the five-letter word?
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on June 03, 2004, 08:51:53 pm
Sorry, was that ##### or *****?

[preview: awesome. I did not realize there was a difference.]
Title: Why can't I use the five-letter word?
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on June 03, 2004, 08:53:14 pm
Pantzuh and rowbott seem to work.
Title: Why can't I use the five-letter word?
Post by: Gimpson on June 03, 2004, 08:56:07 pm
Please stop with the cursing.  My virgin ears are bleeding.
Title: Why can't I use the five-letter word?
Post by: Pedro Picasso on June 03, 2004, 09:05:34 pm
Admin induced societal anomaly.  It's one of the little quirks that make this place special.  Every board has their grammar nazis and their peni-centric discussions.  But few boards prevent you from describing what kind of ##### a ***** wears.
Title: Why can't I use the five-letter word?
Post by: sjlimmer on June 03, 2004, 09:20:14 pm
Quote from: "Krusty"
Back then, you couldn't say "#####" on TV.  I was banned for ten years.


Ahh, The Simpsons.

http://www.snpp.com/episodes/CABF10
Title: Re: Why can't I use the five-letter word?
Post by: CortJstr on June 03, 2004, 10:18:40 pm
Quote from: Lane
#####.

What's the story here?
Real answer: it's a holdover from when this board was part of Dumbrella. RStevens (who runs that site/writes Diesel Sweeties) would occasionally go mad with power and ban random words that he felt people used too much.

For some reason both ***** and ***** stuck and were banned pretty much perpetually. Jough keeps them banned here so we don't forget our roots.
Title: Re: Why can't I use the five-letter word?
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on June 03, 2004, 10:22:35 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "Lane"
#####.

What's the story here?

Real answer: it's a holdover from when this board was part of Dumbrella. RStevens (who runs that site/writes Diesel Sweeties) would occasionally go mad with power and ban random words that he felt people used too much.

For some reason both ##### and robot stuck and were banned pretty much perpetually. Jough keeps them banned here so we don't forget our roots.


Who is clever? CortJstr, that's who!
Title: Re: Why can't I use the five-letter word?
Post by: slink on June 03, 2004, 11:13:02 pm
Quote from: "PinkStainlessTail"


Who is clever? CortJstr, that's who!


Naaaaah, he's just old and wrinkly like Abe Simpson is all.
Title: Re: Why can't I use the five-letter word?
Post by: CortJstr on June 04, 2004, 12:20:29 am
Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "PinkStainlessTail"
Who is clever? CortJstr, that's who!

Naaaaah, he's just old and wrinkly like Abe Simpson is all.

Don't make me repost the picture of my chest from Dumbrella. I'll do it!
Title: Re: Why can't I use the five-letter word?
Post by: jay-ell on June 04, 2004, 03:19:56 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
The Truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.  


I'm so glad we have folks like Cort, who consistently provide us with the proper links to Achewood strips, fill us in on Dumbrella lore, and generally make sure that everybody's keeping up.  

CortJstr, this one's for you.  

*chug*

*applause*
Title: Re: Why can't I use the five-letter word?
Post by: CortJstr on June 04, 2004, 03:26:29 am
Quote from: "jldunston"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
The Truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.  

I'm so glad we have folks like Cort, who consistently provide us with the proper links to Achewood strips, fill us in on Dumbrella lore, and generally make sure that everybody's keeping up.  

CortJstr, this one's for you.  

*chug*

*applause*

::bow::

::catching of room keys and panties thrown by adoring fans::

::little dance::
Title: Why can't I use the five-letter word?
Post by: side_show on June 04, 2004, 02:13:47 pm
Cute.  I want to see this little dance.
Title: Why can't I use the five-letter word?
Post by: jay-ell on June 04, 2004, 03:28:16 pm
When your little dance is done, can I have my panties back?
Title: Why can't I use the five-letter word?
Post by: wombat on June 04, 2004, 03:46:40 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
When your little dance is done, can I have my panties back?


Not before you take your photograph.
Title: Why can't I use the five-letter word?
Post by: CortJstr on June 04, 2004, 04:30:06 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "jldunston"
When your little dance is done, can I have my panties back?

Not before you take your photograph.

Wombat, this response cannot be topped. Awesome.
Title: Why can't I use the five-letter word?
Post by: wombat on June 04, 2004, 05:10:38 pm
This is the second day in a row that a guy has responded to me with the word 'awesome' here.  Dang, why is the Internet so much better than real life?
Title: Why can't I use the five-letter word?
Post by: Pedro Picasso on June 04, 2004, 05:22:34 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
This is the second day in a row that a guy has responded to me with the word 'awesome' here.  Dang, why is the Internet so much better than real life?


You think that's cool?  Some hot babe a couple forums over just called one of my anecdotes 'fascinating'.

Chicks dig me.
Title: Why can't I use the five-letter word?
Post by: CortJstr on June 04, 2004, 06:50:31 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
This is the second day in a row that a guy has responded to me with the word 'awesome' here.  Dang, why is the Internet so much better than real life?

It's not always. I bet we could find gobs of fora that are "teh suq" compared to real life.
Title: Why can't I use the five-letter word?
Post by: side_show on June 04, 2004, 07:19:39 pm
Like, say, not one, but two threads about the internal workings (or failings) of yours truly?
Title: Why can't I use the five-letter word?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 04, 2004, 07:50:11 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
It's not always. I bet we could find gobs of fora that are "teh suq" compared to real life.


Pretty much a direct quote from a Homestar Runner forum I checked out once:  "Do you get it?  He said 'Excardon me,' which is like combining 'excuse me' and 'pardon me.'"

I like it here because you all aren't idiots.
Title: Why can't I use the five-letter word?
Post by: V-Adore on June 04, 2004, 09:12:38 pm
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
It's not always. I bet we could find gobs of fora that are "teh suq" compared to real life.


Pretty much a direct quote from a Homestar Runner forum I checked out once:  "Do you get it?  He said 'Excardon me,' which is like combining 'excuse me' and 'pardon me.'"

I like it here because you all aren't idiots.

Ah, Homestar Runner; why do you attract the stupidest fans on the goddamn face of the Earth? Even stupider than (insert trendy webcomic you don't like here)?

For a while I was subscribed, purely for train-wreck potential, to an e-mail list dedicated to Homestar Runner porn. Now that was a terrifying interweb experience.
Title: Why can't I use the five-letter word?
Post by: wombat on June 04, 2004, 09:54:31 pm
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"

You think that's cool?  Some hot babe a couple forums over just called one of my anecdotes 'fascinating'.

Chicks dig me.


Oh my, we certainly do.
Title: Why can't I use the five-letter word?
Post by: AugustWest on June 05, 2004, 03:30:45 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"

Ah, Homestar Runner; why do you attract the stupidest fans on the goddamn face of the Earth? Even stupider than (insert trendy webcomic you don't like here)?


Be thankful.  If it didn't whose grammar, spelling and punctuation would Strong Bad make fun of?
Title: Why can't I use the five-letter word?
Post by: Nabubrush on June 09, 2004, 09:32:51 pm
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
It's not always. I bet we could find gobs of fora that are "teh suq" compared to real life.


Pretty much a direct quote from a Homestar Runner forum I checked out once:  "Do you get it?  He said 'Excardon me,' which is like combining 'excuse me' and 'pardon me.'"

I like it here because you all aren't idiots.

Are you sure you don't mean "you aren't all idiots"?
Title: Why can't I use the five-letter word?
Post by: arkabee on June 10, 2004, 01:33:50 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
It's not always. I bet we could find gobs of fora that are "teh suq" compared to real life.


Pretty much a direct quote from a Homestar Runner forum I checked out once:  "Do you get it?  He said 'Excardon me,' which is like combining 'excuse me' and 'pardon me.'"

I like it here because you all aren't idiots.

Are you sure you don't mean "you aren't all idiots"?


or, if he was from the north-east, maybe he meant "youse guys".

or,
or,
or,

we could just kill off dialects and everyone wear star trek uniforms.
Title: Why can't I use the five-letter word?
Post by: Nabubrush on June 10, 2004, 02:18:54 pm
Oh, I meant more in terms of "you aren't all idiots", meaning that we would all be thinking "yeah, AugustWest and Doomglobe and Pedro and I are pretty bright, but the rest of these guys . . . hoo boy."
Title: Why can't I use the five-letter word?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 10, 2004, 02:18:56 pm
Or if I was from Pittsburgh, "yinz guise."
Title: Why can't I use the five-letter word?
Post by: AugustWest on June 10, 2004, 02:44:21 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Oh, I meant more in terms of "you aren't all idiots", meaning that we would all be thinking "yeah, AugustWest and Doomglobe and Pedro and I are pretty bright, but the rest of these guys . . . hoo boy."


Woo Hoo!  I made the list.  

I am so smart. S-M-R-T!
Title: Why can't I use the five-letter word?
Post by: Pedro Picasso on June 10, 2004, 02:55:25 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Woo Hoo!  I made the list.


Of course you did, Jeopardy-boy.  And while I am also exuberant to be included, I suspect The Brush just put me on there lest I fault his etiquette.

Often overlooked rule: It's rude to make a list of smart people that doesn't include me.
Title: Why can't I use the five-letter word?
Post by: Nabubrush on June 11, 2004, 02:58:29 am
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Woo Hoo!  I made the list.


Of course you did, Jeopardy-boy.  And while I am also exuberant to be included, I suspect The Brush just put me on there lest I fault his etiquette.

Often overlooked rule: It's rude to make a list of smart people that doesn't include me.

No, no - my etiquette is fucked. It can't be that.
Title: Why can't I use the five-letter word?
Post by: JorgeFabregas on July 07, 2004, 10:12:54 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
For a while I was subscribed, purely for train-wreck potential, to an e-mail list dedicated to Homestar Runner porn. Now that was a terrifying interweb experience.


I can't, nor do I want to, wrap my mind around that idea.  :cry:
Title: Why can't I use the five-letter word?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 07, 2004, 12:28:56 pm
Ol' Marzipan must have been pretty busy, being the only girl and all.

Unless...
Title: Why can't I use the five-letter word?
Post by: V-Adore on July 07, 2004, 10:29:45 pm
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
Ol' Marzipan must have been pretty busy, being the only girl and all.

Unless...

Your "unless" was entirely accurate, incidentally -- this was the kind of list populated entirely by teenage girls who did their utmost to totally ignore Marzipan's presence.

Coach Z, however, got overrepresented in a way that still sort of chills me.
Title: Why can't I use the five-letter word?
Post by: Bozack on July 07, 2004, 10:42:58 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Coach Z, however, got overrepresented in a way that still sort of chills me.


Would this be some sort of "Mandingo Cliché"?

Or, rather, "Mandango Clitchy"?
Title: Why can't I use the five-letter word?
Post by: AugustWest on July 08, 2004, 02:24:12 am
No, more like a Mindarngo Clertchy.
Title: Why can't I use the five-letter word?
Post by: slink on July 08, 2004, 07:10:50 am
That's right. Forum's got nards!
Title: Why can't I use the five-letter word?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 08, 2004, 01:18:52 pm
I am going to pick up our softball team's division championship trophy today.  As long as it's in my possession, I will say "Here the Chort have a trophy!" to myself over and over and over.
Title: Why can't I use the five-letter word?
Post by: V-Adore on July 08, 2004, 09:31:18 pm
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
I am going to pick up our softball team's division championship trophy today.  As long as it's in my possession, I will say "Here the Chort have a trophy!" to myself over and over and over.

This is absolutely appropriate and I applaud you for it.

(Congratulations on the division win, incidentally.)