The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: V-Adore on June 02, 2004, 09:14:30 pm

Title: Gelatinous ...Cubes? Ranching? Whaa...?
Post by: V-Adore on June 02, 2004, 09:14:30 pm
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
Do you mean "lute?"

Or do you actually mean he's going to give out loot, schwag, booty as wedding favors?

I fully intend to have wedding schwag, especially if I invite the friend of mine who actually owns a "Stop and Loot" t-shirt.

I'll try to make it a total Monty Haul occasion.
Title: Gelatinous ...Cubes? Ranching? Whaa...?
Post by: side_show on June 02, 2004, 09:18:36 pm
Ah!  Monty Hall, Winnipeg's forgotten son!

When I look for Monty Hall online I get many, many pages about the supposedly famous "Monty Hall Problem": will you win a goat?

http://math.ucsd.edu/~crypto/Monty/monty.html
Title: Gelatinous ...Cubes? Ranching? Whaa...?
Post by: St_Zartan on June 02, 2004, 10:19:26 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I'll try to make it a total Monty Haul occasion.


Quote from: "side_show"
Ah! Monty Hall, Winnipeg's forgotten son!


I guess what's behind Curtain Number Two, God help you, is a three-year subscription to Dragon magazine.

This would be an excellent jumping-off point for my anecdote about the campaign that revolved almost entirely around Purple Worms, but I am far too classy for that.
Title: Gelatinous ...Cubes? Ranching? Whaa...?
Post by: V-Adore on June 02, 2004, 11:17:53 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
This would be an excellent jumping-off point for my anecdote about the campaign that revolved almost entirely around Purple Worms, but I am far too classy for that.

Truly a cruel tantalization, sir. Truly cruel.
Title: Gelatinous ...Cubes? Ranching? Whaa...?
Post by: AugustWest on June 03, 2004, 02:08:03 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
This would be an excellent jumping-off point for my anecdote about the campaign that revolved almost entirely around Purple Worms, but I am far too classy for that.

Truly a cruel tantalization, sir. Truly cruel.


Would it bother you if I dropped a hint about a long ago and far away weekend of gaming that revolved around Gelatinous Cubes?  And Mattocks?
Title: Gelatinous ...Cubes? Ranching? Whaa...?
Post by: V-Adore on June 03, 2004, 09:32:53 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
This would be an excellent jumping-off point for my anecdote about the campaign that revolved almost entirely around Purple Worms, but I am far too classy for that.

Truly a cruel tantalization, sir. Truly cruel.


Would it bother you if I dropped a hint about a long ago and far away weekend of gaming that revolved around Gelatinous Cubes?  And Mattocks?

Argh! You people are grotesque in your cruelty.

This is all sounding even better than the story involving the elven lesbian bar, which had up until now been one of the crowning stupidities of my career.
Title: Gelatinous ...Cubes? Ranching? Whaa...?
Post by: St_Zartan on June 03, 2004, 09:54:59 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
This is all sounding even better than the story involving the elven lesbian bar, which had up until now been one of the crowning stupidities of my career.


Better, I dare say, than the Room with The Four-Poster Bed in which I was shocked, baffled, and ashamed to find myself (and the brand-new associated statistic added to the margins of the character sheet of my hapless Crazy) upon entering the Rifts campaign of some friends, then in ninth grade, whom I hadn't seen for a year. Role-playing games!: the potential embarrassment is limited only by your imagination.

EDIT: GELATINOUS CUBE RANCHER - redundant preposition removed
Title: Gelatinous ...Cubes? Ranching? Whaa...?
Post by: V-Adore on June 04, 2004, 12:47:46 am
I would totally make a character who ranched gelatinous cubes. "Gelatinous cube ranching: it's the toughest job you'll ever love."
Title: Gelatinous ...Cubes? Ranching? Whaa...?
Post by: CortJstr on June 04, 2004, 01:35:17 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I would totally make a character who ranched gelatinous cubes. "Gelatinous cube ranching: it's the toughest job you'll ever love."

Cube ranchers? That certainly ads a kink to the dungeon ecosystem (http://www.bookofratings.com/dndmonsters2.html).

But who would buy one? I could understand various companion animals like trained panthers or small dragons but would you really want a gelatinous cube oozing along behind you vainly attempting to look cute?
Title: Gelatinous ...Cubes? Ranching? Whaa...?
Post by: V-Adore on June 04, 2004, 02:32:51 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I would totally make a character who ranched gelatinous cubes. "Gelatinous cube ranching: it's the toughest job you'll ever love."

Cube ranchers? That certainly ads a kink to the dungeon ecosystem (http://www.bookofratings.com/dndmonsters2.html).

But who would buy one? I could understand various companion animals like trained panthers or small dragons but would you really want a gelatinous cube oozing along behind you vainly attempting to look cute?

Well, I always got the impression that people owned a lot of real estate with large, 10'x10' stone corridors. Gelatinous cubes are the perfect size to basically serve as "dungeon vacuums."

You could probably raise them to be smaller, to those dungeon-builders with slightly smaller floor plans.
Title: Gelatinous ...Cubes? Ranching? Whaa...?
Post by: CortJstr on June 04, 2004, 02:41:31 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Well, I always got the impression that people owned a lot of real estate with large, 10'x10' stone corridors. Gelatinous cubes are the perfect size to basically serve as "dungeon vacuums."

You could probably raise them to be smaller, to those dungeon-builders with slightly smaller floor plans.

Wouldn't that involve some kind of binding to keep them from growing. Forcing them to live in little metal boxes. Dying them designer colors to mach their owners decor. You'd have the D&DPCA on your ass so fast your amulet of water-breating would spin.
Title: Gelatinous ...Cubes? Ranching? Whaa...?
Post by: St_Zartan on June 04, 2004, 03:02:02 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
...but would you really want a gelatinous cube oozing along behind you vainly attempting to look cute?


Clearly, you've never experienced the Godhead that is Monster Rancher 2. I would imagine, from my extensive experience as a Kal-Kan Top Breeder of Champion Monoliths, that a gelatinous cube could exhibit gobs of personality. Having a trained and loyal gelatinous cube at one's disposal is very nearly the coolest thing I could imagine.

HOLY CHRIST IS THAT AN ALIVE KNOX BLOX
Title: Gelatinous ...Cubes? Ranching? Whaa...?
Post by: AugustWest on June 04, 2004, 03:06:17 am
What about breeding them so they're less cubic.  Gelatinous dodecahedrons f'rinstance.  Or perhaps a gelatinous pyramid.
Title: Gelatinous ...Cubes? Ranching? Whaa...?
Post by: CortJstr on June 04, 2004, 03:24:27 am
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
...but would you really want a gelatinous cube oozing along behind you vainly attempting to look cute?

Clearly, you've never experienced the Godhead that is Monster Rancher 2. I would imagine, from my extensive experience as a Kal-Kan Top Breeder of Champion Monoliths, that a gelatinous cube could exhibit gobs of personality. Having a trained and loyal gelatinous cube at one's disposal is very nearly the coolest thing I could imagine.

Personally I'd rather have a Ryo-ohki. Or a fuchikoma (http://images.google.com/images?q=fuchikoma&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&sa=N&tab=wi)!
Title: Gelatinous ...Cubes? Ranching? Whaa...?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 04, 2004, 12:59:15 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
What about breeding them so they're less cubic.  Gelatinous dodecahedrons f'rinstance.  Or perhaps a gelatinous pyramid.


A gelatninous dodecahedron could just about roll, making it much faster in its pursuit of your party.  I would think that a gelantinous cube would be pretty slow.
Title: Gelatinous ...Cubes? Ranching? Whaa...?
Post by: St_Zartan on June 04, 2004, 03:24:57 pm
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
A gelatninous dodecahedron could just about roll, making it much faster in its pursuit of your party.  I would think that a gelantinous cube would be pretty slow.


Yes. Like that awesome scene at the beginning of Cloak & Dagger.

Although I somehow feel that inherent cuteness is inversely proportional to the number of sides; you could count on the cube to be dopey and affable, like a labrador retriever, but a dodecahedron or other million-dollar shapes of similar complexity would probably end up all snarky and selgiraffe (like an expensive cat, or a teenage girl who types in alternating caps).

EDIT: This thread is like a bonfire upon which we can just throw all last remnants of pretense of social function or credibility
Title: Gelatinous ...Cubes? Ranching? Whaa...?
Post by: CortJstr on June 04, 2004, 04:33:05 pm
Cubes? Dodecahedrons? We're getting dangerously close to Gleep territory here, people. Conversations about D&D, wrestling weddings, and giraffe placentas are one thing but Hanna Barbarra cartoons?

Have you no shame?
Title: Gelatinous ...Cubes? Ranching? Whaa...?
Post by: Pedro Picasso on June 04, 2004, 04:53:33 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Yes. Like that awesome scene at the beginning of Cloak & Dagger.

Although I somehow feel that inherent cuteness is inversely proportional to the number of sides; you could count on the cube to be dopey and affable, like a labrador retriever, but a dodecahedron or other million-dollar shapes of similar complexity would probably end up all snarky and selgiraffe (like an expensive cat, or a teenage girl who types in alternating caps).


Cloak & Dagger ruled!  As to snarky dodecahedra, nothing can beat Bit from Tron.  Another wonderous video-game based movie.

No no nononononono!
Title: Gelatinous ...Cubes? Ranching? Whaa...?
Post by: Gimpson on June 04, 2004, 05:36:48 pm
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Yes. Like that awesome scene at the beginning of Cloak & Dagger.


Cloak & Dagger ruled!


As a youngster, I attempted to make up a role playing game based on Cloak & Dagger.  That was about as far as I delved into role playing, though.
Title: Gelatinous ...Cubes? Ranching? Whaa...?
Post by: V-Adore on June 04, 2004, 08:56:21 pm
I would totally buy a tame gelatinous dodecahedron to destroy my enemies. Even a gelatinous icosahedron, were such a thing possible.

(Dorkiest aside ever: I remember once becoming a valuable team asset in an inter-school math contest in high school because I was the only person on the team who knew what an icosahedron looked like, which was vital to one of the problems. Nobody ever say that D&D doesn't teach you anything.)
Title: Gelatinous ...Cubes? Ranching? Whaa...?
Post by: Pedro Picasso on June 04, 2004, 09:10:49 pm
When our 9th grade biology teacher mentioned that the head of a virus microbe was a decahedron, I pulled one out of my dice bag and played show and tell.

I was the belle of the ball.
Title: Gelatinous ...Cubes? Ranching? Whaa...?
Post by: Bozack on June 04, 2004, 09:19:13 pm
CHRIST.
I spent $20 on comic books today. I don't have a girlfriend. I'm geek friends with most of the record store cashiers in my city. I bought a certain type of guitar because Link Wray used to play one. The other day, I thought about buying a "Hero Clix" Starter Pack. Yet this board seems to exist only to show me that no matter how deep I dig into the Geek Mine, I can never really hit the bottom.
It's a good thing all of my online crushes are all into role-playing; I can now own a tiny statue of Kitty Pryde with no fear of being maligned.
Title: Gelatinous ...Cubes? Ranching? Whaa...?
Post by: V-Adore on June 04, 2004, 09:51:03 pm
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
When our 9th grade biology teacher mentioned that the head of a virus microbe was a decahedron, I pulled one out of my dice bag and played show and tell.

I was the belle of the ball.

Well, you certainly are my hero.
Title: Gelatinous ...Cubes? Ranching? Whaa...?
Post by: CortJstr on June 04, 2004, 10:43:04 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
CHRIST.
I spent $20 on comic books today. I don't have a girlfriend. I'm geek friends with most of the record store cashiers in my city. I bought a certain type of guitar because Link Wray used to play one. The other day, I thought about buying a "Hero Clix" Starter Pack. Yet this board seems to exist only to show me that no matter how deep I dig into the Geek Mine, I can never really hit the bottom.
It's a good thing all of my online crushes are all into role-playing; I can now own a tiny statue of Kitty Pryde with no fear of being maligned.

http://www.brunching.com/geekhierarchy.html
Title: Gelatinous ...Cubes? Ranching? Whaa...?
Post by: andalucia on June 04, 2004, 10:54:26 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
http://www.brunching.com/geekhierarchy.html


God bless Lore.  By his reckoning, I'm pretty near the respectable top of that chart, as I go no lower than "Comic book fan"
Title: Gelatinous ...Cubes? Ranching? Whaa...?
Post by: AugustWest on June 05, 2004, 03:38:56 am
Quote from: "Bozack"
CHRIST.
I spent $20 on comic books today. I don't have a girlfriend.


What?  A guy who wears Capri ##### and reads comic books doesn't have a girlfriend?  

You must be pulling my leg!
Title: Gelatinous ...Cubes? Ranching? Whaa...?
Post by: Bozack on June 05, 2004, 03:59:47 am
Hey, man, I'll admit it. I read superhero comics. DEAL WITH IT WORLD.
Actually, there's this really awesome series out right now from DC called "The  New Frontier," which is essentially historical fiction set in the post-WW2 world, where, among tons of other stuff, McCarthy and Cohn have turned their sights from the entertainment industry to the masked vigilantes, forcing them all to register and reveal their true identities. It's really amazing, and the artwork very much calls to mind the styles of the 50's. Here's (http://www.dccomics.com/features/newfrontier/index.html) the site for it. Personally, I think you should all buy it but HEY. What evs.

One day, you will ALL read comics. OH YES.
Title: Gelatinous ...Cubes? Ranching? Whaa...?
Post by: St_Zartan on June 05, 2004, 05:03:44 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
What?  A guy who wears Capri ***** and reads comic books doesn't have a girlfriend?


There are plenty of awesome girls who occasionally dig their boys in drag.

There are also plenty of awesome girls who also can and do read comic books - yes, superhero comic books - without having their arms twisted into awful and sinister ways and places behind ye olde back.

DON'T MAKE ME DRAW THE DAMN VENN DIAGRAM

Quote from: "Bozack"
Actually, there's this really awesome series out right now from DC called "The New Frontier"


Haven't read it, yet, but the whole masked vigilante witch-hunt motif  smacks of Watchmen, a/k/a the gateway drug. People who think they don't like superhero comics Get Served after being loaned Watchmen and discovering that they cannot put it down. I don't think I have an ex who got away without, through the brilliant work of Alan Moore et al, a jones for the four-color.

JACK'S AGILITY IS TWENTY-FOUR; HE ESCAPES
Title: Gelatinous ...Cubes? Ranching? Whaa...?
Post by: jay-ell on June 05, 2004, 07:43:05 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Watchmen, a/k/a the gateway drug.


It's funny because it's true!
Title: Gelatinous ...Cubes? Ranching? Whaa...?
Post by: AugustWest on June 06, 2004, 12:05:13 am
I never said I didn't like comics.  However, in my experience as a single person (which is almost 20 years ago now -- YIKES!) superhero comics never helped my love life.
Title: Gelatinous ...Cubes? Ranching? Whaa...?
Post by: wombat on June 06, 2004, 02:09:23 am
But August, then how did you learn to be the superhero and babe-magnet you are today? Bozack needs to know.
Title: Gelatinous ...Cubes? Ranching? Whaa...?
Post by: AugustWest on June 06, 2004, 02:16:45 am
Women -- other than the wonderful Mrs. West -- seemed to start showing an interest in me the day after I got married.
Title: Gelatinous ...Cubes? Ranching? Whaa...?
Post by: Choop on June 06, 2004, 01:45:36 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Women -- other than the wonderful Mrs. West -- seemed to start showing an interest in me the day after I got married.


God's honest truth. What the hell's that about, huh? Ladies, I'm all set. I don't need the attention now. And boys, it never would have happened anyway.

It's like this ring on my finger is the super-duper all-purpose pheromone generator.
Title: Gelatinous ...Cubes? Ranching? Whaa...?
Post by: Bozack on June 06, 2004, 08:08:55 pm
Yeah, the only time I ever get hit on is whilst engaged in a serious relationship. However, apparently this server at work feels comfortable enough with me to tickle me randomly, and I know she's a)currently single and b)cool with a 4 year age difference.
SO, INTERWEB LADIES, HOP ON THE MARK TRAIN, BEFORE IT LEAVES LOVE-CONNECTION STATION AND TAKES THE COMMITMENT LINE DOWN TO GETTINLAIDSVILLE!

I'd like to thank Mite for "gettinglaidsville"
Title: Gelatinous ...Cubes? Ranching? Whaa...?
Post by: Mite on June 06, 2004, 09:27:40 pm
Once upon a time - many, many moons ago, mind you - I dated my DM. How I ever turned out even partially normal, I'll never know.

And guys, it's simple: once you're in a relationship, you're chick tested, woman approved. You're safe for consumption. With single guys, who knows what you might find?
Title: Gelatinous ...Cubes? Ranching? Whaa...?
Post by: jough on June 06, 2004, 10:52:05 pm
Quote from: "Mite"
Once upon a time - many, many moons ago, mind you - I dated my DM. How I ever turned out even partially normal, I'll never know.


DM?

Dungeon Master?
Title: Gelatinous ...Cubes? Ranching? Whaa...?
Post by: V-Adore on June 06, 2004, 11:56:42 pm
Quote from: "Mite"
Once upon a time - many, many moons ago, mind you - I dated my DM. How I ever turned out even partially normal, I'll never know.

Oh, I can beat this (sadly enough): I once got a co-GM position because of a recommendation from my boyfriend, who was one of the entrenched GMs of the same game. Pseudo-nepotism of the dorkly kind ahoy!
Title: Gelatinous ...Cubes? Ranching? Whaa...?
Post by: Nabubrush on June 10, 2004, 02:26:42 pm
Screw all that, I'm taking this thread over. We're going to Cuba. Failing that, I want a gelatinous tesseract.
Title: Gelatinous ...Cubes? Ranching? Whaa...?
Post by: V-Adore on June 15, 2004, 04:21:08 pm
Gelatinous Tesseract: Four Dimensions of TERROR!

(CR +3.)