The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: bluebird_of_unhappiness on June 04, 2004, 10:58:07 am

Title: Beef apotheosized? - 4 June 2004
Post by: bluebird_of_unhappiness on June 04, 2004, 10:58:07 am
Sorry for the mildly weak topic, but I didn't have much dialogue to work with other than "POW!". Some beautiful imagery from Chris in this one. Somehow, Beef falling through the universe in a white robe seems so fitting.

Perhaps the topic could have been: "Ray gets his Satisfaction"
Title: Beef apotheosized? - 4 June 2004
Post by: palm trees on June 04, 2004, 11:36:15 am
man this is hell of dramatic.

and i hope beef isn't just disappearing into the stars for good. that would make me sad. he needs to be in heaven.
Title: Beef apotheosized? - 4 June 2004
Post by: bluebird_of_unhappiness on June 04, 2004, 11:55:39 am
Please ignore the spelling of 'apothEosized'. Where do you all assume this is going? Is Beef's plummet through the heavens supposed to symbolize a greater idea?....or is he just falling? Holy Mother of Pussy this is confusing.
Title: Beef apotheosized? - 4 June 2004
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 04, 2004, 12:55:41 pm
This does NOT bode well.  Uncle Culpepper is going to show up in heaven and try to get all up ins with Molly.

I could be wrong, but I think the field of stars and the alt-text are a reference to "2001: A Space Odyssey."
Title: Beef apotheosized? - 4 June 2004
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on June 04, 2004, 01:20:12 pm
Is there some kind of horrible face in the pattern of stars in the last panel?
Title: Beef apotheosized? - 4 June 2004
Post by: arlucasinc on June 04, 2004, 01:35:28 pm
Holy CRAP!!! Ray shot his own uncle!! I mean, yeah, I guess they were gearing up for that anyway, but still.

See Ray hadn't actually fired yet, he just ducked out of the way. He was probably figuring that Uncle C. would get a shot off, they'd look at look at each other like "Oh my god, look how dumb we are, shooting at each other like this." Then there'd be hugs and everything would be okay again. Oh, and maybe they would have been arrested.

Once Ray saw that UC had done in Beef, he really went off his halves.

And yeah, that looks like a skull head in the stars. That can't be a good sign.
Title: Beef apotheosized? - 4 June 2004
Post by: Pedro Picasso on June 04, 2004, 01:52:23 pm
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
This does NOT bode well.  Uncle Culpepper is going to show up in heaven and try to get all up ins with Molly.

I could be wrong, but I think the field of stars and the alt-text are a reference to "2001: A Space Odyssey."


I immediately thought that Beef was now DEAD dead, and Funcle Coldpeppy was going to put his greasy KFC paws all over our beloved Molly.  All I can say is, if that's his plan, he'll have some humongous 'shoes' to fill.

As to the song Daisy.  It is a 2001 reference, but the song's use in 2001: A Space Odyssey was itself a reference to computer music history (http://www.mtu.com/support/mtufounders.htm).  I'm not sure if the linked story is completely factual, but from my computer music course at State I can sum it up thusly.  One day a very smart programmer thought it would be fun to create music using a computer.  Other smart programmers had thought this before, but this one specifically wanted sung lyrics.  He wanted to synthesize a human voice.  So he worked, and studied, and punched his cards.  And when he was done, he put his progrogram into the very large and sophisticated computer's hopper and turned on his radio.  The computer churned through the punch cards, performing the instructed operations, its little internal components giving off radio signals as they worked.  The radio signals hit his radio, and made sound.  At first it was static, but then carved out of the static was a human sounding voice.  A voice that sang Daisy.  This song's lyrics were the first words ever spoken with a computer's voice.  I have heard this voice.  It is hell of creepy.

So that's it.  A huge, long-winded explanation.  Daisy was the first thing a computer ever said, so in 2001, when the speaking computer wound down, Daisy was the last thing it remembered.  Creeptastic.
Title: Beef apotheosized? - 4 June 2004
Post by: wombat on June 04, 2004, 03:06:39 pm
Total geek alert:  I spent some time surfing web sites about 2001 this morning trying to see if I could figure out what the HELL this reference had to do with Beef and the story.  I didn't find anything as fascinating as Pedro's anecdote.  Nor any kind of a clue.

And we won't find out before Monday.
Title: Beef apotheosized? - 4 June 2004
Post by: CortJstr on June 04, 2004, 04:26:57 pm
Beef is at least wearing his official Heavenly Robes so that's a good sign. But the stars gathering into a face was kind of weird.
Title: Beef apotheosized? - 4 June 2004
Post by: arkabee on June 04, 2004, 05:05:30 pm
i thought the face in the stars kind of looked like a sad, crying monkeyman from planet of the apes.
Title: Beef apotheosized? - 4 June 2004
Post by: AugustWest on June 04, 2004, 05:25:27 pm
I thought the face in the stars looked like Ray.
Title: Beef apotheosized? - 4 June 2004
Post by: andalucia on June 04, 2004, 07:17:02 pm
Quote from: "arkabee"
i thought the face in the stars kind of looked like a sad, crying monkeyman from planet of the apes.


Agreed.  And monkeys do connect tenuously to 2001....
Title: Beef apotheosized? - 4 June 2004
Post by: side_show on June 04, 2004, 07:27:02 pm
I thought of the squeegee kids I see wearing Ministry T-shirts with a skulls on them that I see every day.  The face reminded me of that.
Title: Beef apotheosized? - 4 June 2004
Post by: V-Adore on June 04, 2004, 08:43:16 pm
Just... gorgeous. This strip took my breath away, and I too am hopeful that Beef is going to his reward on some level.

Will fix the topic posthaste. After that, I'm going to go stare at the face some more.
Title: Beef apotheosized? - 4 June 2004
Post by: ndpatel on June 05, 2004, 12:29:45 am
misfits. they have misfits t-shirts.
Title: Beef apotheosized? - 4 June 2004
Post by: Noah on June 05, 2004, 01:59:16 am
Achewood has been awesome lately! This actually reminds me of the South Park movie, with Kenny dying. Flying around in space and then plummeting towards hell. I just hope Roast Beef isn't going to back to hell. I bet Onstad would hate me for making that comparison.
Title: Beef apotheosized? - 4 June 2004
Post by: AugustWest on June 05, 2004, 03:45:28 am
Quote from: "Noah"
I bet Onstad would hate me for making that comparison.


Don't fret.  Onstad hates us all, no matter what we do!
Title: Beef apotheosized? - 4 June 2004
Post by: Choop on June 05, 2004, 04:34:36 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Noah"
I bet Onstad would hate me for making that comparison.


Don't fret.  Onstad hates us all, no matter what we do!


Kinda like Jough!
Title: Beef apotheosized? - 4 June 2004
Post by: jough on June 05, 2004, 08:55:44 am
I only hate some of you.

But I hate with love!