The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: palm trees on June 07, 2004, 10:28:35 am
-
Lie Bot!
i have no words.
-
chris onstad is a genius
-
Gasp!
-
Wow! I certainly did not see this coming! :O
I feel like I'm witnessing those plot twists that happen on soap operas... but WAY BETTER!
...since those are just lame
-
I feel like I'm watching Scooby Doo!!!
Dang. What up with Lie Bot's malice? What was his motive? To get all up ins with Tina? Not likely, as how would he have ever known she was going to call that day while Ray was in the shitter?
There are some questions that need to be answered. But I doubt that's going to happen. I think we're all supposed to be so blown away by this furious (ding dong) plot twist that we no longer worry about how this all occurred.
We shall see.
-
I dig Ray's slack-shouldered dumbfounded expression in panel #3.
Also, I don't like pissing contests about the "titles" of these threads, but clearly the proper title for this is Mendacious Burlesque.
-
I think Onstad is trying to have Beef killed by every one of the main characters.
-
That mask did a really excellent job of concealing the cylindricalness of his head. What they can't do with latex these days.
No word on Beef yet. He was definitely wearing his heaven robes though. I'm wondering if Lie Bot won't be forced to donate a part to fix him up.
-
Bah. Freakin' Lie Bot. I prefer him distributing relatively minor disinformation, not impersonating relatives and shooting people.
-
I always find the revelation of disguises a big let down in fiction.
-
I think it was meant to be an ironic revelation of disguise, hence the remnants of lipstick even though culpepper doesnt have lips. I liked this strip in spite of the scooby doo style mask removal, because knowing that it was liebot the whole time does not explain anything. It just sort of makes new questions, which, in the spirit of achewood, may or may not be answered.
also some people on this board need to look at how many of their posts contain information or any kind of thought. I see so many 'onstad is great' posts that I am almost ready to write a software program to filter out all the posts that contain the word 'genius' or 'brilliant'. praise is all well and good but it doesnt mean anything if the post has no thought behind it or substance.
-
I think it was meant to be an ironic revelation of disguise, hence the remnants of lipstick even though culpepper doesnt have lips. I liked this strip in spite of the scooby doo style mask removal, because knowing that it was liebot the whole time does not explain anything. It just sort of makes new questions, which, in the spirit of achewood, may or may not be answered.
Agreed. Making it a disguise is needlessly complicated and thus funnier. What's missing was a random appearance by Liebot at the beginning of the storyline that makes us all look back and go "ahhh."
-
Agreed. Making it a disguise is needlessly complicated and thus funnier. What's missing was a random appearance by Liebot at the beginning of the storyline that makes us all look back and go "ahhh."
Just you wait. Ever changing, the archives are.
-
Even after this revelation, Pregnant F/X still sounds like a plausible dotbomb.
-
I liked this strip in spite of the scooby doo style mask removal, because knowing that it was liebot the whole time does not explain anything. It just sort of makes new questions, which, in the spirit of achewood, may or may not be answered.
This is a brilliant analysis. Doomglobe is some sort of genius.
-
Agreed. Making it a disguise is needlessly complicated and thus funnier. What's missing was a random appearance by Liebot at the beginning of the storyline that makes us all look back and go "ahhh."
Just you wait. Ever changing, the archives are.
Historical accuracy. Archival integrity. A Jedi cares not for these things.
-
Lie Bot just wanted to have forthright and honest emotional interactions but can only express himself through lies and deception (except possibly around Vlad). It was therefore necessary for him to assume a false persona through whom he could have such relationships, which would be honest to the persona while still maintaining the necessary falsehood. He shot Roast Beef because he could not bear to break the persona and that is what Uncle Culpepper as he played him would have done, bad aim and all.
It is all very Serious and Tragic, but *****s Cannot Cry.
-
*****s Cannot Cry.
That's it. I'm changing the name of my band tonight.
-
Awesome ***** philosophy
Rock. On.
My two cents: this is all foreshadowed by the "Rock and Roll Faggots" strip (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=05142004), where we see Lie Bot's increasingly strained relationship with Chucklebot (as reflected through a faux-friendly game of the Dozens) and his disconnection from Vlad. (Andy, of course, has not been supportive for some time.) The entire Uncle Culpepper facade is an elaborate attempt to regain something resembling emotional intimacy; indeed, one might go so far as to say that Lie Bot's soul was drowned in the tears he cannot cry (being a ***** and all) and was subsumed by something bigger.
Also, this thread so should have been "mendacious burlesque."
-
also some people on this board need to look at how many of their posts contain information or any kind of thought. I see so many 'onstad is great' posts that I am almost ready to write a software program to filter out all the posts that contain the word 'genius' or 'brilliant'. praise is all well and good but it doesnt mean anything if the post has no thought behind it or substance.
Ugh. This is why I hate forums. Even if this does bother you, trivial as it is, is it really necessary to insult me? No, it isn't. Just get over it. Some of us like to share our opinion of the strip, not analyze it.
You're a real dick.
-
also some people on this board need to look at how many of their posts contain information or any kind of thought. I see so many 'onstad is great' posts that I am almost ready to write a software program to filter out all the posts that contain the word 'genius' or 'brilliant'. praise is all well and good but it doesnt mean anything if the post has no thought behind it or substance.
Ugh. This is why I hate forums. Even if this does bother you, trivial as it is, is it really necessary to insult me? No, it isn't. Just get over it. Some of us like to share our opinion of the strip, not analyze it.
You're a real dick.
Bitch Fight!!!!
no, really, shut up the both of you before JL gives you a hell of smack down.
-
Ugh. This is why I hate forums. Even if this does bother you, trivial as it is, is it really necessary to insult me? No, it isn't. Just get over it. Some of us like to share our opinion of the strip, not analyze it.
You're a real dick.
No friend, no! You're so very close to proper discourse. You mustn't let it slip away! Truly, sharing your opinion is important, but doing so in a new, interesting, or humorous way is important and socially redeemable.
For example, don't just tell us that Onstad is a genius. Tell us that his genius has warranted a second 'a' in his name from the Royal Commission of European sounding names. Or that if Onstad deigned to join Mensa, and the members were to each design a rocket ship, his would not only travel to the moon and Mars, but to any moon or Mars from any of your favorite 50's sci-fi films.
Additionally, don't just inform Doomglobe that he is a dick. I assure you, if someone is a dick, then deep down inside they know it. Tell him he belongs in a full body jimmy-hat or that he should at least wipe the smegma off his neck if he wants to join polite conversation.
This sort of thing will win well deserved cheers from your fellows. Not the sort of jeers you get when you suggest that they all photograph themselves in their skivvies.
Always think, How would Onstaad phrase this?.
-
What would Mr. Onstad do if he were here right now? He would lock a thread or two, that's what Mr. Onstad'd do if he were here right now!
I am not 'stad, however, and since I generally approve of this strip and a lot of the discussion, I'm not locking it. Just watch yo'selves (all of you, but I'm looking at Doomglobe especially here).
-
Complete fuck*ng dissertation on proper internet communication, educating by example.
I do believe you've just become the Emily Post of the Internet, Pedro. Miss Manners ain't got nothin' on Mr. Netiquette.
-
Tell him he belongs in a full body jimmy-hat or that he should at least wipe the smegma off his neck if he wants to join polite conversation.
Well, that alone makes this tiny spat of a thread worthwhile.
That and making me realize how high the level of affability and discourse generally is here compared to the Internet At Large. Huzzah!
-
People, do you even know Doomglobe?
:droops:
:shakes-head:
-
People, do you even know Doomglobe?
:droops:
:shakes-head:
I actually have a lengthy rant about why I don't give a flying philodendron about the Designated Asshole phenomenon, but we're already far, far too off-topic.
Ahem.
Lie Bot's lipstick: what the heck is up with that, doggs?
-
People, do you even know Doomglobe?
:droops:
:shakes-head:
He's Old Skool.
And remind me never to start a flame war with Pedro, or by extention, JL.
-
Lie Bot's lipstick: what the heck is up with that, doggs?
Ummmm, I don't know, maybe because it's hella hot when *****s wear lipstick?
I mean....HOTT!
-
This is a brilliant analysis. Doomglobe is some sort of genius.
wombat I didnt read your post.
-
also, I seem to have stirred up some proverbial shit, I assure you all it was totally an accident, I did not direct any insult at anyone, I was just saying that people who have been posting meaningless praise to a man who doesnt even read this forum ought to join in and post some of their thoughts instead. that is what has made the achewood forum rock for so many years.(that, and onstad locking every thread he sees or just arbitrarilly deleting the entire forum just for the hell of it)
-
See, Doomglobe is just sad because he misses the old days. It makes him cranky and he spoke a little too harshly. Now everybody kiss and make up because I am having a very bad day and I thought this was the one place in my life where everyone was not a jerk, dang it.
And everyone who jeered at Pedro is GROUNDED FOR A WEEK.
-
Another random observation about this strip:
Ray appears to have lost some weight in the five-day timespan between this strip (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=06022004) and today's. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=06072004) At least, he looks decidedly less corpulent. Maybe it was the sudden stress?
-
i don't like the *****s, liebot especially. whenever i think of liebot, i think of the "what's the saddest thing" strip, and i think to myself: "kevbob, if you were a retarded 5 year old otter, would you ask someone named LIE BOT _anything_ ever?"
i don't like the 'bots at _all_.
i miss the OLD achewood, the creepy vignettes of alive stuffed animal disfuncionality with a twist of tennessee williams in their julip.
i mean, i like roast beef, and i like roast beef dying, but it's like it's not Achewood anymore, but Ray's Towne, wherein the antics of Ray will be what the strip is about. Goofy neighbor sitcom-ville, rather than sad and poignant SEPIA-TONED pictures of mind-numbingly melancholy Stuffed Animals.
i mean, i don't want to sound ungrateful, i'm _GLAD_ that onstad is getting over his mental illness, it's just that only the truly insane will ever display PURE GENIUS.
-
Another random observation about this strip:
Ray appears to have lost some weight in the five-day timespan between this strip (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=06022004) and today's. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=06072004) At least, he looks decidedly less corpulent. Maybe it was the sudden stress?
it almost looks like once he realizes he's in the presence of his real uncle, he stands up straiter.
-
Yeah, this debate's been kinda played out. I'll restate my opinion that old-school and new-school Achewood both have their merits. I like the old structure but prefer the new aesthetic.
And yes, I am one of those people who always wondered why both teams couldn't just win.
-
Lie Bot just wanted to have forthright and honest emotional interactions but can only express himself through lies and deception (except possibly around Vlad).
And by playing the banjo.
-
guys, i did consider "mendacious burlesque", really i did. just thought mendacious was far too obviously a funny word. and because of my own understanding of the butterfly effect, had i done so this thread wouldn't have been half as funny.
good bleess onstaad.
-
Yeah, this debate's been kinda played out.
So is Smithers gay or what?
-
You know, I think Edward Lorenz cries a single tear every time anyone mentions the Butterfly Effect.
-
remind me never to start a flame war with Pedro, or by extention, JL.
Awww. I remember when Pedro was an extension of me.
And everyone who jeered at Pedro is GROUNDED FOR A WEEK.
It's good to know that even when I'm tied up with other things, this board still has a Den Mother.
Rock, rock on, Wombat. Rock, rock on.
-
It's good to know that even when I'm tied up with other things, this board still has a Den Mother.
Rock, rock on, Wombat. Rock, rock on.
Since we're apparently filling in for absent admins in this thread, uh, ahem...
You assholes are totally lame. Why is everybody suckin' each other's dicks in here. Onstad sucks.
/bad Jough imitation.
-
It's good to know that even when I'm tied up with other things, this board still has a Den Mother.
Ah, now I understand that feeling I got that it all seemed vaguely familiar, when I was working on those lesson plans for the kindergarten kids in zoo summer camp today.
Shape UP people. You oughta at least remind me of when I used to teach college, for pete's sake.
-
WEAK