The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: St_Zartan on June 07, 2004, 11:20:39 pm
-
I am currently completely obsessed with Vertical Shooters; I thought it was a passing fancy, but this has been a Problem for literally months now. Just about every night, I crank-start the ol' MAME and get stuck deep into some 1941 (http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=&game_id=6765), Battle Garegga (http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=&game_id=7043), or, embarrassingly enough, Vapor Trail (http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=&game_id=10296) (a sentimental favorite).
Rather than fight the Obsession, I have resolved to feed it. Can anyone recommend any more games in this genre?
-
Wasn't Xevious a similar game?
-
Wasn't Xevious a similar game?
One of the first in its genre, and a terrific game. Relatively sedate compared to modern shooters, though (William Poundstone, in describing Xevious, said the game had a "golf course aesthetic"). Flashing back to that Merriam-Webster "favorite words" thread, Souvalou (the name of your ship in Xevious) is just such a great word.
Such a great word.
-
i had xevious on my atari 7200.
the fact that i hate vertical shooters not-with-standing,
i don't think we are talking about the same xevious.
-
I miss Vanguard (http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=10293&letter=V).
-
Gotta be Xenon on the Speccy.
Though I did spend a goodly while playing R-Type, although it is horizontal of course.
-
Aero Fighters. There were weeks when I couldn't do laundry in college because all my quarter went to that game.
-
Would Galaga fit?
-
There used to be an absolutely awesome flash game called Robobombo but I think they moved it to a pay site. But if you can track it down it's well worth your time.
-
What was the isometric shooter I used to play on my C=64? Let's see, quick google search...
Oh yeah, Zaxxon. I remember it being fun.
-
Aero Fighters. There were weeks when I couldn't do laundry in college because all my quarter went to that game.
Oh (http://zanyvg.overclocked.org/aerofighters/), the (http://zanyvg.overclocked.org/aerofighters2/) dialogue (http://zanyvg.overclocked.org/aerofighters3/) in those games. I do like games where you can choose from different craft, even if the differences are occasionally pretty generic and / or superficial.
Would Galaga fit?
Not quite; Galaga's more like Space Invaders, Gorf, or Galaxian (well, yeah) in that you take out endless, relatively stationary racks of opponents. The shooters I'm thinking of involve actual motion, wherein you fly at enemies and vice versa.
Galaga is, however, in the lingo of the trade, fuck*ng godhead. So.
-
Hey now, it seems to me that on the special bonus rounds, the enemies moved in from the sides. Or do you mean that you advance along a landscape on the games you are describing, and in Galaga you are just in one spot?
-
...you advance along a landscape on the games you are describing, and in Galaga you are just in one spot?
*ding*
Galaga created the illusion of movement with the scrolling starfield, but your position relative to the enemy formation was always the same. You're right: the Challenging Stages were more like an old-school shooting gallery setup, though.
-
Now I'm following you.
Literally - look out your window, I'm across the street, waving!
-
I've always preferred 1942 to 1941, mainly because of the selection of planes -- not so much the enemies.
Nintendo had a couple early games that mixed side-scrolling with vert-scrolling; I wish I could remember what they were called (not C.O.B.R.A.), something like Venom or Virus or Antibody or T-Cell. Something remotely biological. I liked those.
-
Nintendo had a couple early games that mixed side-scrolling with vert-scrolling; I wish I could remember what they were called (not C.O.B.R.A.), something like Venom or Virus or Antibody or T-Cell. Something remotely biological. I liked those.
There was Stinger. Look out! Watermelon slices with eyes are attacking!
-
I wish I could remember what they were called (not C.O.B.R.A.), something like Venom or Virus or Antibody or T-Cell. Something remotely biological. I liked those.
Abadox and Life Force were both intensely biological shooters, as (if my memory serves me right) they both involved, essentially, flying into the body of some galaxy-sized menace and killing it from the inside. The final Boss Battle of Life Force was actually the creature's soul, if you can grok that. Said Soul being basically a giant pissed-off serpent writhing around a big, monocular orb. This was extremely cool at the time.
-
Random fact: Life Force was actually Gradius 2. All the games in that series had the same power-up structure which was ripped off by shooters for years to come.
Oh, and the best power-up was the Options. W00t!
-
I am bumping this because I like video games and nobody mentioned the Raiden series, inexplicably. I swear, Raiden 2 introduced the iconic "Purple Snakey Toothpaste Laser Weapon", and that counts for nothing with you people?
-
I swear, Raiden 2 introduced the iconic "Purple Snakey Toothpaste Laser Weapon", and that counts for nothing with you people?
I was first introduced to this weapon's ugly sister in Blazing Lazers (sic) for the TurboGrafx(sic)-16; it was more like blue ribbed angular toothpaste, but yeah. I can't even remember if Raiden 2 was playable in MAME when I started this thread (and I haven't even fired up MAME / the old IRC watering hole at least since San fuck*ng Andreas, which I know totally blows my credibility); I've heard good things, though.
Speaking of iconic weapons: why was the best looking weapon in Gradius (the ripple) also the fuck*ng weaksauce?
-
I was first introduced to this weapon's ugly sister in Blazing Lazers (sic) for the TurboGrafx(sic)-16; it was more like blue ribbed angular toothpaste, but yeah. I can't even remember if Raiden 2 was playable in MAME when I started this thread (and I haven't even fired up MAME / the old IRC watering hole at least since San fuck*ng Andreas, which I know totally blows my credibility); I've heard good things, though.
Speaking of iconic weapons: why was the best looking weapon in Gradius (the ripple) also the fuck*ng weaksauce?
As far as I know, none of the Raidens are playable in MAME, at least none past the original, which was toothpasteless.
I think it's pretty common now for the ugliest thing in any game to be the most useful. If you want to look stylish while playing a video game, you have to make some sacrifices.
-
Meh. I never excelled at games like that. Give me the Concrete Donkey any day.
-
Meh. I never excelled at games like that. Give me the Concrete Donkey any day.
Finally.