The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Choop on August 08, 2003, 03:54:55 am

Title: Sub-Pop Records, anyone?
Post by: Choop on August 08, 2003, 03:54:55 am
I just picked up a CD last night by a band called The Postal Service - it's a Sub-Pop record, and I got to thinking, how many freakin' cool bands have been on Sub-Pop?

Handily, they include a flyer.
Any other favorite records/bands on the Sub-Pop label?

PS: I highly recommend The Postal Service's album Give Up - kind of a post-electro-rock thing happening. Not raw, but not synth, and good a) ballads and c) anthems. Plus, Atari sounds. Five stars! (and not s|<ott, either.)
Title: Sub-Pop Records, anyone?
Post by: slink on August 08, 2003, 08:41:48 am
The original Mark Lanegan solo albums that I am a huge fan of were on Sub-Pop.
Soundgarden if you didn't mention them were originally, for FOP.
I'm not sure about Screaming Trees (Lanegan's band way back), they might have been but I'm not sure.
Title: Sub-Pop Records, anyone?
Post by: andalucia on August 14, 2003, 03:22:04 am
Sub Pop is indeed the king of rad.

What about K Records?  Or Kill Rock Stars?  Are you a well-rounded indie rocker?
Title: Sub-Pop Records, anyone?
Post by: Choop on August 14, 2003, 03:26:33 am
Oh, ho ho! Certainly not! I've recently begun to turn a leaf and gain some indie knowledge (note: not "cred") by vowing to go to the local independent record store and buying something at least once per week, or twice per paycheck.

I just never realized how many kick-ass bands there were on this label to which I'd never previously paid any heed. Savvy?

Please, feel free to make some recommendations - I may just choose one of your faves to purchase, oh, tomorrow!
Title: Sub-Pop Records, anyone?
Post by: starlight on August 16, 2003, 10:15:37 am
Trembling Blue Stars is on Sub Pop (at least for their last two releases; not sure if their new singles one is on that label or not, I'm thinking no - I'd have to double check; personally I like their old stuff off Shinkansen better regardless)

Anyway, The Postal Service rocks! :D
I personally only bought it at first cause it had that Death Cab for Cutie guy and Rilo Kiley girl (I wish I could remember their names; darn me and my laziness) which I both liked already
Title: Sub-Pop Records, anyone?
Post by: Noah on August 17, 2003, 03:31:27 am
The Beachwood Sparks are Sub Pop, and they're really good, but I've only heard their first CD.
Title: Sub-Pop Records, anyone?
Post by: andalucia on August 18, 2003, 05:10:11 pm
I'll restrain myself.... I have this unfortunate tendency to turn into a gibbering indie geek at the mere scent of a music discussions, so I'll be gentle and limit myself to five:
Neutral Milk Hotel:  Part of the Elephant 6 Music Collective, a venerable indie institution, they are utterly charming
Beat Happening:  For those fans of droning singers with slightly silly voices.  There's no shame in that.  I'm one.
Belle & Sebastien:  From that subgenre described as "twee"
Mary Lou Lord:  A folksingery type who unfortunately came to prominence after having slept with Kurt Cobain
Songs: Ohia:  Might just be me being a teenage girll, but I think they are rad.
Yo La Tengo:  Sometimes there is a band that is just perplexing by their lack of worldwide fame.

Anyways, hope that helped you out and I didnt come across as too obcessive  :wink:
Title: Sub-Pop Records, anyone?
Post by: sjlimmer on August 19, 2003, 12:45:03 am
Quote from: "andalucia"

Yo La Tengo:  Sometimes there is a band that is just perplexing by their lack of worldwide fame.


I swear I saw Yo La Tengo open for the Sundays back in the day, when I was about 17.  I swear I wasn't impressed.  Thus, I've gone around for the last decade and more thinking that I didn't like Yo La Tengo.  Then, a month or two back, I heard "Don't Have to be so Sad" (off their most recent album?), and it was absolutely marvelous.  So over the weekend I bought "I Can Hear the Heart Beating As One," it is also very nice.  I guess I've had my head up my ass for 13 years.

Also, I really like The Lucksmiths