The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: linnea on June 12, 2004, 09:27:50 pm

Title: Perfect Oven Fries Every Time
Post by: linnea on June 12, 2004, 09:27:50 pm
All righty. Has anyone tried Ray's "Perfect Oven Fries Every Time" recipe? I'm currently making some, but my Achewood Cookbook has been MIA since the move. I know it's in a box *somewhere*...but it has not yet turned up. :(

At any rate, I'm going off memory here. So far I've brushed the russet wedges with olive oil, and they are currently in a 450 degree oven, and the little wedges are standing up.

I'm planning on taking them out, re-applying olive oil, and flipping them onto their sides. Crank oven to 500 degrees, return baking sheet to the oven, and let the wedges roast until dark (I seem to remember Ray mentioning that he likes to sit next to the stove with the oven light on with a magazine, checking in on them periodically).

Is this pretty accurate? Does anyone have any tips or additional points that I'm forgetting here?

I am trying to avoid the hot-slug effect. I'll let you know how they turn out, but I'd be interested in hearing others' experiences with the oven fries.
Title: Perfect Oven Fries Every Time
Post by: wombat on June 12, 2004, 09:37:30 pm
I thought the oven fries were pretty good until I tried the recipe for home fries and decided that there was no way of eating potatoes in the whole universe that was superior to that recipe for home fries.

That being said... man, this recipe is complicated.
20 minutes standing up at 450
10 minutes lying on their side at 450
Take them out while oven heats to 500
Brush with oil, 15-20 minutes at 500

You only need to sit there with the magazine for the last ten minutes.
Title: Perfect Oven Fries Every Time
Post by: Gimpson on June 12, 2004, 09:40:27 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
I thought the oven fries were pretty good until I tried the recipe for home fries and decided that there was no way of eating potatoes in the whole universe that was superior to that recipe for home fries.


I wholeheartedly concur.  Beef's instructions will surely make me the hero of after-party breakfast next time I throw a party.  I've been eating those home fries with dinner just about all week...
Title: Perfect Oven Fries Every Time
Post by: slink on June 12, 2004, 10:26:07 pm
I still have never managed to get round to buying the cookbook, but I figure from what I've seen that my fries are pretty much the same. And they're great. I can never be bothered turning a fryer on to do them deepfried, and this way I can have a whole tray cooked in half an hour.
I don't use them often, but well, I always have potatoes around.

And yea, as far as my method goes, I dice the potatoes, throw them in a bowl of oil and then throw them in a tray in the oven at 200C.
I give them about say, 10 minutes like that then use a spatula thing to scrape any stickage and toss them all over. Then throw em back on the oven for another 10 minutes or so.
Because I use a non-non-stick tray I think it avoids the thing you were talking about in having to turn them often. It also might be the size of the bits of potato you end up with.
Title: Re: Perfect Oven Fries Every Time
Post by: arlyn9391 on May 18, 2009, 04:48:36 am
All righty. Has anyone tried Ray's "Perfect Oven Fries Every Time" recipe? I'm currently making some, but my Achewood Cookbook has been MIA since the move. I know it's in a box *somewhere*...but it has not yet turned up. :(

At any rate, I'm going off memory here. So far I've brushed the russet wedges with olive oil, and they are currently in a 450 degree oven, and the little wedges are standing up.

I'm planning on taking them out, re-applying olive oil, and flipping them onto their sides. Crank oven to 500 degrees, return baking sheet to the oven, and let the wedges roast until dark (I seem to remember Ray mentioning that he likes to sit next to the stove with the oven light on with a magazine, checking in on them periodically).

Is this pretty accurate? Does anyone have any tips or additional points that I'm forgetting here?

I am trying to avoid the hot-slug effect. I'll let you know how they turn out, but I'd be interested in hearing others' experiences with the oven fries.



An oven is an enclosed compartment for heating, baking or drying. It is most commonly used in cooking and pottery. Ovens used in pottery are also known as kilns. An oven used for heating or for industrial processes.




_________________
Commercial Deep Fryer (http://www.katom.com)
Title: Re: Perfect Oven Fries Every Time
Post by: Ruta Bagas on May 18, 2009, 12:59:03 pm
Fuck me, that's where my oven chips have been going wrong. I've been chopping potatoes and just stuffing those bad boys up a duck for forty minutes.
Title: Re: Perfect Oven Fries Every Time
Post by: AugustWest on May 18, 2009, 02:02:07 pm


An oven is an enclosed compartment for heating, baking or drying. It is most commonly used in cooking and pottery. Ovens used in pottery are also known as kilns. An oven used for heating or for industrial processes.



Isn't this a TMBG song?
Title: Re: Perfect Oven Fries Every Time
Post by: JorgeFabregas on May 18, 2009, 02:04:29 pm
Mmm...so spammy....
Title: Re: Perfect Oven Fries Every Time
Post by: Ruta Bagas on May 18, 2009, 03:45:03 pm
If they're coming out spammy you're cooking them wrong.
Title: Re: Perfect Oven Fries Every Time
Post by: Turbo Ninja on May 18, 2009, 03:57:58 pm
The oven fries have become a favorite side dish at Turbo Casa.  Potato uniformity is key because it results in uniform wedges, which in turn cook evenly rather than some coming out hella black and others being starchy like Archie.

We throw our middle fingers up by flipping the wedges onto the "other" side about halfway through the home stretch.  Maybe it's the pan we use or the height of the rack in the oven but that seems to result in a more even doneness for us.
Title: Re: Perfect Oven Fries Every Time
Post by: wombat on May 18, 2009, 03:58:55 pm
Oven spam fries seems like a good idea to me actually.
Title: Re: Perfect Oven Fries Every Time
Post by: theinevitable on May 19, 2009, 03:25:57 am
wait, that is best spam ever.

the sig is even a link to a home fryer.

is so good.
Title: Re: Perfect Oven Fries Every Time
Post by: JorgeFabregas on November 21, 2010, 03:32:20 am
Hey guys, remember this spam?
Title: Re: Perfect Oven Fries Every Time
Post by: pmcd9 on November 21, 2010, 05:49:22 am
That was some quality spam.
Title: Re: Perfect Oven Fries Every Time
Post by: side_show on November 21, 2010, 04:34:33 pm
What we need more of is relevant spam.
Title: Re: Perfect Oven Fries Every Time
Post by: arkabee on November 21, 2010, 08:00:17 pm
i miss slink.
Title: Re: Perfect Oven Fries Every Time
Post by: Nabubrush on November 22, 2010, 12:22:13 am
I like the five year interim. That's a hallmark of a quality performance - leaving time to season.