The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Nabubrush on June 14, 2004, 02:57:26 am

Title: Y^3s
Post by: Nabubrush on June 14, 2004, 02:57:26 am
So, I bought Yeah Yeah Yeahs "Fever to Tell" and listened to it some. I went and saw them play in Seattle. I just got a CD that has some new unreleased song by them. I've read the innumerable articles about them. Why do I get the feeling that the Empress ain't got no clothes on? They've got like one song that I can bear. It's not as though the only CD in my collection is Freedom Rock. What gives?
Title: Y^3s
Post by: AugustWest on June 14, 2004, 03:18:32 am
I hereby give you permission to not like something which you apparently think you are supposed to like.
Title: Y^3s
Post by: andalucia on June 14, 2004, 03:19:29 am
I had the same reaction.  Usually I resist listening to the trendiest indie bands for a while then break in the interests of being able to keep up with the moment's hipster discourse.  And I was very disappointed by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, primarily in that I find them kinda sorta unlistenable.  I don't tend to like female vocalists to begin with, though, so I don't entirely trust my own judgement.
Title: Y^3s
Post by: AugustWest on June 14, 2004, 04:17:26 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
I don't tend to like female vocalists to begin with, though, so I don't entirely trust my own judgement.


See, this is what I'm talking about.  Why should you not trust your own judgment?  Who's judgment should you substitute for your own?

It's your listening time.  It's your head.  If you don't like something, you don't like it.  That's not to say that X sucks if it isn't to your taste.  You may be able to recognize that some has aesthetic quality without it bringing you pleasure.  But, Lordy Mercy!  Like what you want to like!
Title: Y^3s
Post by: Nabubrush on June 14, 2004, 02:27:57 pm
I didn't feel too bad about not liking them; I felt a little strange that they are such critical darlings all of a sudden with one album. I feel like writing in to Spin (or whatever) "ok, they are Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, and the Beatles all wrapped up in one shrieking woman and two post-punk instrumentalists - can we move on?"
Title: Y^3s
Post by: sjlimmer on June 14, 2004, 05:58:08 pm
Glad to hear I'm not the only one who doesn't understand all the hype about these kids.  I figured it was just me getting old...
Title: Re: Y^3s
Post by: slink on June 15, 2004, 12:16:56 am
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
They've got like one song that I can bear.


I apologise for the fact that I am secretly (or not so secretly as may now be the case) laughing because the second I saw them I said that they were just too derivative and would, in the end be utterly futile.
Just another band who are going to disappear without making any mark on music history despite their brief, heady fame.

There are too many bands turning up all the time who are just 20 or so years behind and getting marketed like hell as 'this year's new The #s'.

I get far too worked up about the music industry, but I keep getting closer and closer to it and the fear is setting in. So again, I apologise.
I secretly remain benevolent...