The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Noah on June 14, 2004, 09:55:58 am
-
Whew. That 'FIN' just meant an end to the Culpepper story arc, and not the Beef story arc. This strip is bizarre in the most perfect way...
-
aaaah no
molly? oh no
also, w t f.
-
So, uh, anyone else find that really, terrifyingly jarring? Reading Achewood is one of the first things I do in the morning and this didn't go well with my cereal.
-
Oh my god. This is the saddest thing ever. I feel like I'm going to cry. :cry:
It's much, much sadder than these:
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=11052001
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=06022003
-
This is one of those mornings when I think of that quote:
They're cartoon characters. Pull their arms off -- reattach them backstage. They have eternal life. I just brought Roast Beef back from a two-week stint in heaven. That guy can't die. He is so awesome.
And then I contemplate how fascinating it is that authors of fiction can so easily manipulate our emotions with a few words on a page, and make us care so sincerely about someone who doesn't even exist in the real world.
AND THEN I WANT TO CRY.
-
I heard creepy 30s jazz the whole time I was reading that strip. Tres Betty Boop.
-
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Wait. How could people die in a fire when they're already in Heaven?
Or perhaps Beef isn't in heaven... but then he's not driving a Subaru Brat, either.
GBV on the soundtrack, obviously.
-
More weirdo one-offs with strange dialects - super! I really enjoyed the tail bandage.
-
The skinny black cat with cast & tail bandage scares the hell out of me. Very creepy. I could almost hear a distant sax on the wind with this one.
-
The soundtrack to this one is obviously Radiohead's "Pyramid Song."
Poor Beef - denied even an afterlife this time.
-
Whew. That 'FIN' just meant an end to the Culpepper story arc, and not the Beef story arc. This strip is bizarre in the most perfect way...
yeah I dont think 'fin' actually means anything at all. I see Onstad making a point of not differentiating between story arc and 'reality', also he tends to glom consious, self reflexive character interaction with unknowing, blind story. I personally interpret this as a critique of continuity, just Onstad flipping the bird up at continuity like 'screw you, continuity, FUCK YOU'.
-
I am saddened.
-
*weeps*
-
Maybe Molly had stepped out to buy more gigantic condoms and wasn't home when the fire started.
-
Not their Souls!!! NOT THEIR SOULS!!!!!!
Yyyyaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!
-
This comic strip kind of punched me in the face and then put its arm around me without saying anything.
-
Also, what is it with strange duos this month. First Emeril and Spongebath, now these two. Are Jay and Silent Bob gonna make a cameo?
-
Achewood is one of the rare drops amid a flood of media I consume daily that can every so often provide a very special commodity, something new. I don't know these characters or this place. I don't even really know the feeling being evoked by this strip very well. It's all so strange. Surreal but specific. The idea of heaven burning down is not a new one. Our idea of heaven is so limited, it almost follows that you should be able to die there and go somewhere else. The visual and lexical style of this place -- to me -- is something truly new. And while I don't think that Onstad is some sort of cereberal genius, he has a certain innate talent for weaving old ideas into new feelings.
Something like that.
-
Beef is Tom Joad all coming back to "where the hell done evr'body gone to?"
-
I'm still really creeped out... but intruiged to see where this is going, if anywhere, i.e. whether we'll get closure on the whole metaafterlife concept.
-
The best term used in this thread to describe this is jarring.
For some reason I'm drawn to this strip again and again; the idea that Heaven can burn; that there are winos in the street in front of it, that souls can die. Everything we hope isn't possible played out before our wretched eyes, that reality gets no better in the afterlife. At least hell had Friendly's and KFC. And probably won't be affected much by burning.
Good Christ I need a drink and it's only lunchtime.
-
Lunchtime for you.
Beer:thirty for me.
-
Lunchtime for you is get up time for me, though.
And AdultSwim starts at, like, 7 pm here so I can watch ATHF every day and still go to bed before 10...
-
Well played, friend!
WELL PLAYED! AH-HA-HA-HAAAA-HA!
-
And AdultSwim starts at, like, 7 pm here so I can watch ATHF every day and still go to bed before 10...
Me too. It's called a TiVo.
-
If I wanted to watch yesterday's Adult Swim, I'd get me one o' dem TIVOs...
-
I heard creepy 30s jazz the whole time I was reading that strip. Tres Betty Boop.
Yea. I had something like that going on when I read it.
Definite mysterious, smokey jazz feel.
I really like it. OK it's not at all what I expected but I really like the new characters there and the rest of the art is back to the quality of the 'Philippe kidnapped?' arc.
-
Sweet Jesus. I go away for a few days and smoke too much pot, and come back to THIS? This is definitely my karmatic payment for ganja. Well, that and being around 90,000 hippies for a weekend.
But KEYRIST is this saddening. I saw this and....damn. Damn, man. I need a hug SO MUCH RIGHT NOW.
-
Sweet Jesus. I go away for a few days and smoke too much pot, and come back to THIS? This is definitely my karmatic payment for ganja. Well, that and being around 90,000 hippies for a weekend.
But KEYRIST is this saddening. I saw this and....damn. Damn, man. I need a hug SO MUCH RIGHT NOW.
Also, it looks like your avatar died. Maybe its wemt in the fire.
-
Bozack's Avatar is working for me. Could be a cache thing, somehow.
-
Bozack's Avatar is working for me. Could be a cache thing, somehow.
Damn the cache!
-
I heard creepy 30s jazz the whole time I was reading that strip. Tres Betty Boop.
Funny thing - I was listening to some 30s jazz today here: http://www.dismuke.org/radio/ . I didn't think it really sounded creepy. Until I looked at today's strip again. Then it sounded creepy.
-
Here (http://www.blissblood.com/index_cantonement.html) is some more cool old-timey jazz. In fact, all of the music on Bliss Blood's website is really amazing; the Moonlighters make me want to buy a uke.
-
Sweet Jesus. I go away for a few days and smoke too much pot, and come back to THIS? This is definitely my karmatic payment for ganja. Well, that and being around 90,000 hippies for a weekend.
How was Bonnaroo? I made it last year and the year before, but there's a pretty decent festival going on this weekend closer to me that I decided to do instead this year...
-
I have to agree with Pedro here. This is a sad strip and a jarring strip (especially when experienced through "dum te dum te dum, let's catch up with my archives"-vision), but more importantly it's entirely novel. There's something to be said for that.
-
How was Bonnaroo? I made it last year and the year before, but there's a pretty decent festival going on this weekend closer to me that I decided to do instead this year...
It was actually pretty awesome. I believe that, in the final days, jam bands will ride with the four hossmen of the apocalypse, striking down the righteous and unrighteous, so the headliners didn't really do anything for me. But....David Byrne? Wilco? Camper Van Beethoven? Calexico? Many more? Those did me fine, thanks. The only bad thing is, before Bonnaroo, I had smoked weed twice. I smoked weed about 6 times during Bonnaroo. I bought a damn PIPE. I went to Bonnaroo a normal teenager and came back an f'in STONER.
-
I went to Bonnaroo a normal teenager and came back an f'in STONER.
Welcome to the cabal. Have you learned the secret handshake yet?
Oh, yes, and I continue to envy you your presence at said festival. Especially since I'm missing Lollapalooza to be away taking a freaking French course (http://www.uwo.ca/cstudies/tp/english/index.html). They'd damn well better have the internet out in Eastern Quebec or I will be one sad, scared geek.
-
Welcome to the cabal. Have you learned the secret handshake yet?
That's the one where unless you are a stoner, you looke uncomfortable and fumble hands with the other person. Yea.
I wanted to do some of the festivals this year but no chance. Looks like the only thing I might get to go see is The Cat Empire.
-
Welcome to the cabal. Have you learned the secret handshake yet?
Ha, when I typed up that first post, I was like, at some point, andalucia's going to comment on this, STONER THAT SHE IS.
Yeah, Lollapalooza's gonna blow my freaking head away. Also, a few friends and I are already making plans to go to next years Bonnaroo, so if you can get to Louisville, Kentucky, we can drive you from there.
-
Also, a few friends and I are already making plans to go to next years Bonnaroo, so if you can get to Louisville, Kentucky, we can drive you from there.
An Achewood campsite next year would rock...
-
An Achewood campsite next year would rock...
If I am finally on that continent by then, then I can take care of all stoner supplies for an Achewood campsite. Would rock...
-
Stoner campsite? Aren't all campsites stoner campsites? And as for stoner handshakes - that’s when you shake your hands in front of your face, realise how cool your hands are, then wave them in front of yourself for a good 5 minutes, isn't it? I know that one. Hell yeah.
There is a great deal of foreboding in this and the following strip. The fog will roll in soon.
-
Ha, when I typed up that first post, I was like, at some point, andalucia's going to comment on this, STONER THAT SHE IS.
Blast! Who knew that I was so predictab....ohh... shiny...
</inevitable>
-
I just realized - the character smoking the pipe is a dog. The only other dog I ever remember appearing in achewood was poor, lost Scrambles.
-
I'd have sworn rabbit, which (I believe) would be a first.
-
I'd have sworn rabbit, which (I believe) would be a first.
Well... (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09252003)
-
I'd have sworn rabbit, which (I believe) would be a first.
Hollandaise (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09242003)
-
I'd have sworn rabbit, which (I believe) would be a first.
Well... (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09252003)
Aw, crud. You beat me. Well, at least the strip I found was from the day before yours, so technically, I still win. :P
-
Okay, okay, there was a pet rabbit for a few strips. We have yet to encounter a talking rabbit character until Heaven was Cured.
-
Okay, okay, there was a pet rabbit for a few strips. We have yet to encounter a talking rabbit character until Heaven was Cured.
Yes, but the rabbit ambulance (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09252003) strip has clearly established that rabbits are, if nothing else, capable of talking. Either that or are somehow a wonder civilization of mutes nonetheless capable of establishing the social and technological infrastructure necessary for an ambulance service.
That strip was a bitch to look up, because it took me several seconds to realize that the "Pat Goes Renfest" storyline started as "Anarchist's Cookbook."