The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Limmo on June 15, 2004, 05:37:54 pm

Title: new Pixies song
Post by: Limmo on June 15, 2004, 05:37:54 pm
Since the Pixies reunion thread is now locked, I'll just have to put this here.  

There is a new Pixies song.  It is called "Bam Thwok," and it is available on iTunes for a whopping 99 cents.

Is is great?  No.  It's a B-side, if that term is still valid in 2004.  It's based on a children's book, and the song stops dead halfway through for a snippet of Joey Santiago's dad playing circus organ.  

But...the fact that the first new Pixies song in 12 years is sung by Kim Deal is a big, um, deal to me.  And hearing Joey Santiago spray his discordant burning guitar all over the walls gives me goosebumps.  I don't care if their first step is a baby step, I'm so excited that these four people are making music together again that I could just scream.
Title: Re: new Pixies song
Post by: andalucia on June 15, 2004, 08:35:26 pm
Quote from: "Limmo"
But...the fact that the first new Pixies song in 12 years is sung by Kim Deal is a big, um, deal to me.


Booo.
This may have something to do with not being a first-wave Pixies fan, having attained the tender age of one by the time Come On Pilgrim was released, but I often prefer Frank Black solo to the Pixies.
Well, I'm not really sure.  But I like Kim Deal as much as I like that other singing, bass-playing, alternative-90's Kim, Gordon, of Sonic Youth, and that is not so very much.
Title: Re: new Pixies song
Post by: sjlimmer on June 16, 2004, 04:05:16 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"

This may have something to do with not being a first-wave Pixies fan, having attained the tender age of one by the time Come On Pilgrim was released, but I often prefer Frank Black solo to the Pixies.


Oddly enough, a song from C'mon Pilgrim (Caribou) played on the radio while I was reading this.

I'm also sort of a latter-day Pixies convert.  When I was sixteen and everybody told me how great the Pixies were, I just didn't "get it."  I thought some of their songs were OK, but didn't understand the bid deal.  It wasn't until I picked up a copy of Doolittle about 8 years ago (I was selling CDs for a living, and bought all sorts of stuff just to hear it) that I began to see the light.  I'm still not a rabid fan (I only own 2 albums and one single), but I'm stoked to hear something new from the kids.

As for Frank Black solo, I haven't heard much, but there have only been two songs that have struck me as great (Headache and Nadine).  I suppose that's enough to check out the rest of his catalog, one of these days....