The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Gimpson on June 15, 2004, 08:03:34 pm

Title: The Webcomics Examiner
Post by: Gimpson on June 15, 2004, 08:03:34 pm
I've hardly had a chance to delve into this, but it appears to have just started up yesterday.  Nothing Achewood-centric yet, but a blurb at the bottom left promises reviews of Achewood and Cat and Girl in the July 12 issue.  

The Web Comics Examiner (http://www.webcomicsreview.com/examiner/home.html)

(Stolen directly from Metafilter.  I cut and paste, you decide.)
Title: The Webcomics Examiner
Post by: andalucia on June 15, 2004, 08:21:42 pm
Yeah, I saw this on Metafilter too... looks potentialy.
Title: The Webcomics Examiner
Post by: V-Adore on June 15, 2004, 08:53:46 pm
I'm still uncertain about this, personally. It could end up to be excellent, but what I've skimmed so far reads as being pretentious and more than a little self-important.

I dunno, I just can't quite trust any site that argues that Sexy Losers is "absolutely essential to the medium of webcomics today," a "work of beauty," and "truly fine art." (http://webcomicsreview.com/examiner/issue040614/sexylosers.html) What the sam HELL.
Title: The Webcomics Examiner
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on June 15, 2004, 08:55:27 pm
It's got that Comics Journal feel. That's not a good feel.
Title: The Webcomics Examiner
Post by: wombat on July 13, 2004, 11:09:21 pm
Here it is.  I think our blathering is usually more entertaining.

http://webcomicsreview.com/examiner/issue040712/achewood.html
Title: The Webcomics Examiner
Post by: St_Zartan on July 13, 2004, 11:36:42 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
Here it is.  I think our blathering is usually more entertaining.

http://webcomicsreview.com/examiner/issue040712/achewood.html


I can boil that review down to one sentence:

HEY GARY GROTH LOOK AT ME

Achewood is intelligent, and juvenile, and very funny, but I don't need like nineteen fuck*ng paragraphs to explain why a #####less dancing Santa playing "Twist and Shout", over and over, is awesome.

Ever caught yourself having to explain a joke and just running right the fuck out of steam there at the end because, somehow, the patient just up and fuck*ng died on the table? Yeah.
Title: The Webcomics Examiner
Post by: sailor on July 14, 2004, 12:19:22 am
Quote from: "wombat"
Here it is.  I think our blathering is usually more entertaining.


i've read much, much higher quality, funnier, and more spot-on reviews here. lots o' times.



Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Ever caught yourself having to explain a joke and just running right the fuck out of steam there at the end because, somehow, the patient just up and fuck*ng died on the table? Yeah.


the guy who wrote that review is like some super talkitive asshole next to you on the greyhound. he could be talking about your favorite thing in the entire freakin' world, but you're still all "PLEASE. SHUT. UP."
Title: The Webcomics Examiner
Post by: V-Adore on July 14, 2004, 04:30:10 am
What really gets me about this is how the dude uses the McSweeney's panel, even titles his article after it, and doesn't get that he's basically giving it the McSweeney's treatment in his analysis. Dissecting strips with tweezers indeed.
Title: The Webcomics Examiner
Post by: CortJstr on July 14, 2004, 01:20:49 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
What really gets me about this is how the dude uses the McSweeney's panel, even titles his article after it, and doesn't get that he's basically giving it the McSweeney's treatment in his analysis. Dissecting strips with tweezers indeed.

It's secretly ironic. Shh, whatever you do don't tell anyone.
Title: The Webcomics Examiner
Post by: AugustWest on July 14, 2004, 01:27:13 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"

It's secretly ironic.


Is that anything like "magically delicious"?
Title: The Webcomics Examiner
Post by: CortJstr on July 14, 2004, 01:29:33 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
It's secretly ironic.

Is that anything like "magically delicious"?

It's a Calvin reference but I don't have my books at work so I can't pin down exactly which strip.

CortJstring: FAILED!
Title: The Webcomics Examiner
Post by: jough on July 14, 2004, 05:47:14 pm
It was the strip with the snowman who was pure and wholesome looking. Calvin was posting as a gallery owner/artist to show Hobbes around his creations, and Hobbes questioned what was the deal with the traditional and old-style homey snowman, and Calvin put a hand up to his mouth and whispered sotto voce "It's secretly ironic."  Good times...

Good god, and all of my Calvin & Hobbes books are in storage.

I swear I've done more with my life than memorize C&H.


P.S. I HAVE OUT-CORTJSTR'D CORTJSTR!
Title: The Webcomics Examiner
Post by: side_show on July 14, 2004, 06:03:30 pm
Quote from: "jough"
P.S. I HAVE OUT-CORTJSTR'D CORTJSTR!


I see no link!  As far as I'm concerned this is a race to see who can find and post an actual link!  And......GO!
Title: The Webcomics Examiner
Post by: jough on July 14, 2004, 06:09:27 pm
Unfortunately, you need to PAY to read archives of Calvin & Hobbes.

And being that I am broke because the tip jar is gathering dust and cobwebs (ahem) alas I cannot provide such a link.
Title: The Webcomics Examiner
Post by: side_show on July 14, 2004, 06:45:26 pm
As one who gets three fuzzy channels with constant adjustment of the rabbit ears to watch the local news, and only enjoys the net at work I sympathize, but I did find this very enjoyable collection of Calvin and Hobbes Snowman art - doesn't have the one you're talkin' bout though:

http://www.angelfire.com/wa/zzaran/calvin.html
Title: The Webcomics Examiner
Post by: CortJstr on July 14, 2004, 07:09:15 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Unfortunately, you need to PAY to read archives of Calvin & Hobbes.

Exactly.

I couldn't remember if it was a traditional 3-ball snowman or the one he did that was a farmer. Anyway, the one that's horrified beats them all. It was something like the Weighing the Pain of Life Against the Horror of Non-Being.