The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: wombat on June 16, 2004, 08:33:44 pm

Title: A meeting with Mexico - june 16 04
Post by: wombat on June 16, 2004, 08:33:44 pm
Thank you again Mr Onstad who does not read this messageboard, for a comic with Philippe in it!
Title: A meeting with Mexico - june 16 04
Post by: side_show on June 16, 2004, 08:36:51 pm
Philippe writes in cursive, and has the eerie ability to draw himself almost exactly as he actually looks.

A forgotten story line brought back to life at the exact moment we want more of the current story line.  How unexpectedly predictable!
Title: A meeting with Mexico - june 16 04
Post by: AugustWest on June 16, 2004, 08:42:15 pm
KHAAAAAAAAAANNN!!!!



Onstad, why must you torment us so?
Title: A meeting with Mexico - june 16 04
Post by: andalucia on June 16, 2004, 08:45:30 pm
Philippe's cursive looks eerily like mine.
Also, I too wish that fewer people would be hit by trains!
Uncanny.
Title: A meeting with Mexico - june 16 04
Post by: CortJstr on June 16, 2004, 08:50:56 pm
So is the Underground President of Mexico also an otter? And shouldn't Philippe wear a tie or something when meeting foreign heads of state?

I have a car instead of a truck, does that mean I can lay on the horn for no reason?
Title: A meeting with Mexico - june 16 04
Post by: side_show on June 16, 2004, 09:05:02 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I have a car instead of a truck, does that mean I can lay on the horn for no reason?


Haven't you ever driven in heavy trafic?  That's the way it is in the real world. Gawd.
Title: A meeting with Mexico - june 16 04
Post by: palm trees on June 16, 2004, 09:09:20 pm
i love the fact that we hear about philippe's presidential campaign about as often as i hear significant news about the real-life american elections. and that the storyline is still going on because the elections are yet to come.
Title: A meeting with Mexico - june 16 04
Post by: Bozack on June 16, 2004, 10:08:15 pm
Otter Vicente Fox is the happiest thing.
Title: A meeting with Mexico - june 16 04
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 17, 2004, 01:21:24 pm
Screw Philippe's campaign!  What's up with Molly and Beef?

235 is right, though (not a catchy name, BTW), Otter Presidente is pretty cool.
Title: A meeting with Mexico - june 16 04
Post by: Pedro Picasso on June 17, 2004, 04:14:35 pm
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
235 is right, though (not a catchy name, BTW), Otter Presidente is pretty cool.


That's why we call him Bozack.

...and why some of us call him Big Poppa Man-Bits.
Title: A meeting with Mexico - june 16 04
Post by: Bozack on June 17, 2004, 05:41:03 pm
MEMORIEESSSSSS...FROM  THE CORNERS OF YOUR MINDDDDDD (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?t=684&start=0)


I couldn't figure out how to do the "jump directly to" thing. Le sigh.
Title: A meeting with Mexico - june 16 04
Post by: jough on June 17, 2004, 05:49:51 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
MEMORIEESSSSSS...FROM  THE CORNERS OF YOUR MINDDDDDD (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?t=684&start=0)


I couldn't figure out how to do the "jump directly to" thing. Le sigh.


Awesome.  Now that link reads as a superhero's Origin Story.

FIRST APPEARANCE OF BOZACK
Title: A meeting with Mexico - june 16 04
Post by: AugustWest on June 17, 2004, 06:11:21 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Quote from: "Bozack"
MEMORIEESSSSSS...FROM  THE CORNERS OF YOUR MINDDDDDD (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?t=684&start=0)


I couldn't figure out how to do the "jump directly to" thing. Le sigh.


Awesome.  Now that link reads as a superhero's Origin Story.

FIRST APPEARANCE OF BOZACK


That thread is also the original discussion of Barbed Penes.  Or c*ckes, if you prefer.
Title: A meeting with Mexico - june 16 04
Post by: Bozack on June 17, 2004, 06:24:22 pm
As Aphrodite from the spilled blood of Uranus am I from the discussion of barbed peni.
Title: A meeting with Mexico - june 16 04
Post by: V-Adore on June 17, 2004, 06:38:21 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
As Aphrodite from the spilled blood of Uranus am I from the discussion of barbed peni.

There is a really tasteless joke just sitting on my runway re: barbed penes and the blood of Uranus, but it's gonna stay there, because some things just shouldn't be said.

I like how this message board is all careful to annotate itself, all noting first appearances and paleocontinuity like a tightly-edited superhero comic. No-Prizes for all!
Title: A meeting with Mexico - june 16 04
Post by: AugustWest on June 17, 2004, 07:31:21 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "Bozack"
As Aphrodite from the spilled blood of Uranus am I from the discussion of barbed peni.

There is a really tasteless joke just sitting on my runway re: barbed penes and the blood of Uranus, but it's gonna stay there, because some things just shouldn't be said.


It's so thoughtful of you to self-censor like that.
Title: A meeting with Mexico - june 16 04
Post by: linnea on June 17, 2004, 07:32:31 pm
I'd like to momentarily discuss the GODAWFUL APPEARANCE OF PHILLIPPE'S NOSE that seems to have changed in this panel.

Maybe I just need some time to get used to it. But why, oh why did Onstead make Phillippe have a weird black nose? Is this so that Phillippe looks more like his stuffed-animal self?

Opinions? Anyone?
Title: A meeting with Mexico - june 16 04
Post by: Gimpson on June 17, 2004, 07:34:40 pm
Quote from: "linnea"
I'd like to momentarily discuss the GODAWFUL APPEARANCE OF PHILLIPPE'S NOSE that seems to have changed in this panel.


I was going to make a similar comment, but when I paged back to Phillipe's last appearance it seems that the big black nose has been there since his redesign.  (That was around the start of his candidacy, right?  Reconstructive cosmetic surgery?  Doesn't Kerry use Botox?)
Title: A meeting with Mexico - june 16 04
Post by: linnea on June 17, 2004, 07:58:31 pm
Quote from: "Gimpson"
Quote from: "linnea"
I'd like to momentarily discuss the GODAWFUL APPEARANCE OF PHILLIPPE'S NOSE that seems to have changed in this panel.


I was going to make a similar comment, but when I paged back to Phillipe's last appearance it seems that the big black nose has been there since his redesign.  (That was around the start of his candidacy, right?  Reconstructive cosmetic surgery?  Doesn't Kerry use Botox?)


I never noticed it until now. Onstead is pretty meticulous about his work, he will go back and redesign strips if he's unhappy with them. I think that perhaps he went back and added the nose.
Title: A meeting with Mexico - june 16 04
Post by: V-Adore on June 17, 2004, 08:00:08 pm
I just sort of wish he'd stop redesigning characters who had perfectly good designs to start with -- or at least that he'd make the changes in design gradual evolutions (as with Ray) instead of this HOLY CRAP SUDDENLY PHILIPPE HAS A NOSE DID I MISS THIS EARLIER? garbage
Title: A meeting with Mexico - june 16 04
Post by: AugustWest on June 17, 2004, 08:05:39 pm
Nice Avatar Linnea.  Is it a self-portrait?
Title: A meeting with Mexico - june 16 04
Post by: CortJstr on June 17, 2004, 08:38:13 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I just sort of wish he'd stop redesigning characters who had perfectly good designs to start with -- or at least that he'd make the changes in design gradual evolutions (as with Ray) instead of this HOLY CRAP SUDDENLY PHILIPPE HAS A NOSE DID I MISS THIS EARLIER? garbage

I disagree. All good comics progress in their character designs. Personally when rereading my Calvin & Hobbes archives I try to pinpoint the exact strip where Hobbes "pads" disappear. It's like a little game while reading comics on the john.

Quote
I like how this message board is all careful to annotate itself, all noting first appearances and paleocontinuity like a tightly-edited superhero comic. No-Prizes for all!

Oh man. I now have the urge to start editing posts in my fora by adding links to previous discussions/strips just like they do in comics.
Title: A meeting with Mexico - june 16 04
Post by: V-Adore on June 17, 2004, 08:41:09 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I just sort of wish he'd stop redesigning characters who had perfectly good designs to start with -- or at least that he'd make the changes in design gradual evolutions (as with Ray) instead of this HOLY CRAP SUDDENLY PHILIPPE HAS A NOSE DID I MISS THIS EARLIER? garbage

I disagree. All good comics progress in their character designs. Personally when rereading my Calvin & Hobbes archives I try to pinpoint the exact strip where Hobbes "pads" disappear. It's like a little game while reading comics on the john.

Well, fair enough. I don't necessarily mind evolving character designs; I just find the last few examples of them (Philippe's sudden nose, Lyle's sporadic mouth) sort of jarring.

Maybe it just bugs me that Onstad apparently intermittently goes back and edits some "borderline" strips to new character designs. It feels a little (and I realize I lose at the Internet forever for making this comparison) 1984-ish.
Title: A meeting with Mexico - june 16 04
Post by: palm trees on June 17, 2004, 08:51:05 pm
as far as i can tell the redesign is between here (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02022004) and here (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02052004).

not that i really should have spent the time looking that up.
Title: A meeting with Mexico - june 16 04
Post by: CortJstr on June 17, 2004, 08:59:34 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Maybe it just bugs me that Onstad apparently intermittently goes back and edits some "borderline" strips to new character designs. It feels a little (and I realize I lose at the Internet forever for making this comparison) 1984-ish.

V-Adore your records have been examine and as a recognized dork I hereby declare that you do NOT lose at the Internet. Due to past instances of greatness such as your avatar we instead grant you the status of:

Fuck City Bangin'

KTHNX
Title: A meeting with Mexico - june 16 04
Post by: wombat on June 17, 2004, 09:22:20 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Nice Avatar Linnea.  Is it a self-portrait?


And is that a frog in your hand or what??
Title: A meeting with Mexico - june 16 04
Post by: St_Zartan on June 17, 2004, 10:23:53 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Due to past instances of greatness such as your avatar we instead grant you the status of:

Fuck City Bangin'


FUCK CITY BANGIN' DUE TO PUNISHMENT

Does her promotion come with complimentary passes down to the Fuck Races? Because I always wanted one of those plastic commemorative 44-ounce drink cups.
Title: A meeting with Mexico - june 16 04
Post by: Bozack on June 18, 2004, 04:07:06 am
Holy shit, why do we NOT have Fuck Races t-shirts yet? GET ON IT, 'STAD!
Oh, man! You know what is even better that the Official Unofficial Achewood Messageboard No-##### Day? The Official Unofficial Achewood Messageboard FUCK RACES! I'll leave you facilitators to figure out how we're going to work this.

What ever happened to the No-##### Day Thread? Did it get deleted in the GREAT TRIVIAL PURSUIT CATEGORY PURGE OF 2004? Did we ever figure out who had those really cute underoos? Because whoever that was, I'm going to warn you right now: I am going to bone you.
Title: A meeting with Mexico - june 16 04
Post by: St_Zartan on June 18, 2004, 04:44:34 am
Quote from: "Bozack"
What ever happened to the No-***** Day Thread?


THAT THREAD WAS LOCKED DUE TO PUNISHMENT

Quote from: "Bozack"
Did we ever figure out who had those really cute underoos? Because whoever that was, I'm going to warn you right now: I am going to bone you.


And I hope, folks, this illustrates why the Internet, despite the barest (ahem) trappings of anonymity, is in practice a pa nts-positive environment. I'd be remiss, though, if I didn't acknowledge with gratitude the spirit of fair play in which Bozack's Warning was offered. Nothing can blow a day like a Surprise Boning.
Title: A meeting with Mexico - june 16 04
Post by: CortJstr on June 18, 2004, 12:50:12 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Does her promotion come with complimentary passes down to the Fuck Races? Because I always wanted one of those plastic commemorative 44-ounce drink cups.

Fuck Rackes? What's wrong with you man? That is not something at which one should race. It should be savored and enjoyed with tendernous.

Just ask Vlad.
Title: A meeting with Mexico - june 16 04
Post by: St_Zartan on June 18, 2004, 12:59:03 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr, clearly having been drinking,"
Fuck Rackes? What's wrong with you man? That is not something at which one should race. It should be savored and enjoyed with tendernous.

Quote from: "Ray, at his Place,"
I used to pay a $60 cover every Friday night to watch the Fuck Races down at Hanky Panky’s, and I’d sure as hell be a good President.

Quote from: "Boys from the Bottom, forgotten heroes of the Miami Bass Scene,"
BOOM I GOT YOUR GIRLFRIEND
Title: A meeting with Mexico - june 16 04
Post by: AugustWest on June 18, 2004, 01:11:53 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Nothing can blow a day like a Surprise Boning.


True enough, however to be fair you must admit that the opposite is equally true.  Nothing can make a day like a Surprise Boning.
Title: A meeting with Mexico - june 16 04
Post by: arkabee on June 18, 2004, 01:43:53 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Nothing can blow a day like a Surprise Boning.


True enough, however to be fair you must admit that the opposite is equally true.  Nothing can make a day like a Surprise Boning.


and nothing can bone up a day like a suprise blowing.

"bone up" _is_ a phrase, right?

or did i do wrong again?
Title: A meeting with Mexico - june 16 04
Post by: V-Adore on June 18, 2004, 05:50:43 pm
*ahem*

I am honored and humbled to accept my title of Fuck City Bangin'. I shall attempt to bring all due gravitas and consideration to the title, although I am not sure if "gravitas" and "Fuck City Bangin'" should really even be in the same sentence.

My first proclamation: ROCK ON, YOU ROCK'N'ROLL FAGGOTS
Title: A meeting with Mexico - june 16 04
Post by: andalucia on June 18, 2004, 08:05:30 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Quote from: "Bozack"
What ever happened to the No-***** Day Thread?


THAT THREAD WAS LOCKED DUE TO PUNISHMENT


Yeah, I think that thread probably needs reopening, given that the day of #####less reckoning is almost upon us.
Title: A meeting with Mexico - june 16 04
Post by: jay-ell on June 18, 2004, 09:50:49 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Quote from: "Bozack"
What ever happened to the No-***** Day Thread?


THAT THREAD WAS LOCKED DUE TO PUNISHMENT


Yeah, I think that thread probably needs reopening, given that the day of #####less reckoning is almost upon us.


That's what I said.  

But nobody listens to me, apparently.   :roll:
Title: A meeting with Mexico - june 16 04
Post by: wombat on June 18, 2004, 10:23:48 pm
It occurs to me that it is possible to start new threads, and as far as I know, there is no restriction that they be original topics that no one has ever seen before.
Title: A meeting with Mexico - june 16 04
Post by: Ben-San on June 20, 2004, 08:43:29 pm
If they had a way to set hair and beard to "all scraggly and everywhere" and a black beret, then this:
(http://users.rcn.com/bensanaz/selfportrait1.gif)
would look kind of like me after defeating Chun Li.

Edit: I swear this thread had not been split when I posted this.