The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: andalucia on June 18, 2004, 10:28:37 pm

Title: Audioscrobbler
Post by: andalucia on June 18, 2004, 10:28:37 pm
aka This Here Thingy (http://www.audioscrobbler.com/)

Does anyone here use this?  Seems like it would be relevant to fellow members of the music-geek contingent.  I've gotten terribly addicted to it in the past few months.  They're having some server troubles lately, so I'm not sure if signups are open right now, but it is a hella nifty thing and worth looking into.
Title: Audioscrobbler
Post by: CortJstr on August 03, 2004, 08:40:31 pm
Not to drag up a topic from 600 years ago but I just started using it. I saw the Wired article which apparently damn near annihilated their server. Right now I'm letting iTunes play through my uber playlist (in shuffle) to build up my profile. It's apparently going to take 8.7 days.

I'm CortJstr, of course.
Title: Audioscrobbler
Post by: jough on August 03, 2004, 08:54:50 pm
Well, the site is completely down now.

So what is it?
Title: Audioscrobbler
Post by: CortJstr on August 03, 2004, 08:56:11 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Well, the site is completely down now.

So what is it?

http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,64402,00.html
Title: Audioscrobbler
Post by: jough on August 03, 2004, 09:06:19 pm
Ah, I see, so it's a way for people to give up a little more of their privacy for little to no payback?

Um, sweet?
Title: Audioscrobbler
Post by: slink on August 31, 2004, 07:19:42 pm
Jough, would you like some cynicism with that?

I signed up, as I am on a big binge of finding new music. The question becomes what kinda user base there is and whether the recommendations will come out well.
Title: Audioscrobbler
Post by: andalucia on August 31, 2004, 07:39:38 pm
Quote from: "slink"
I signed up, as I am on a big binge of finding new music. The question becomes what kinda user base there is and whether the recommendations will come out well.


I've found the recommendations to be pretty apt, and often things I haven't heard of or might not have looked into otherwise.
Title: Audioscrobbler
Post by: CortJstr on August 31, 2004, 11:54:05 pm
Just to warn people, they had a major server failure on Sunday which among other things fucked up the neighbor calcuation. So you might see "neighbors" who match you by 104% but have no songs in common. They're working on it.

A brand new server (less than a week old) had not only an HD fail, but the RAID failed also.
Title: Audioscrobbler
Post by: andalucia on September 01, 2004, 12:05:09 am
Yeah, I really don't understand how they manage to have so many technical problems.
Title: Audioscrobbler
Post by: CortJstr on September 01, 2004, 12:44:31 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
Yeah, I really don't understand how they manage to have so many technical problems.

::shrug::
Killer bees?
Lucifer?
Poor oral hygene?
Title: Audioscrobbler
Post by: andalucia on September 01, 2004, 02:20:45 am
Tharr we go; I've even switched my Audioscrobbler name to be roughly the same as my forum name and not the random Schoolhouse Rock allusion it was before.
Title: Audioscrobbler
Post by: CortJstr on September 01, 2004, 02:36:17 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
Tharr we go; I've even switched my Audioscrobbler name to be roughly the same as my forum name and not the random Schoolhouse Rock allusion it was before.

Can you just switch a name or did you have to start up a whole new account?
Title: Audioscrobbler
Post by: andalucia on September 01, 2004, 03:17:17 am
I created a new account then merged it with my old one.
I like things to be... organized.
Title: Audioscrobbler
Post by: AugustWest on September 01, 2004, 03:48:59 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
Tharr we go; I've even switched my Audioscrobbler name to be roughly the same as my forum name and not the random Schoolhouse Rock allusion it was before.


Interplanet Janet?

Lucky Seven Sampson?

Lolly?
Title: Audioscrobbler
Post by: andalucia on September 01, 2004, 11:33:19 am
Nope, just "preamble", as in their appallingly catchy version of the preamble to the constitution.
Title: Audioscrobbler
Post by: AugustWest on September 01, 2004, 12:50:50 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Nope, just "preamble", as in their appallingly catchy version of the preamble to the constitution.


That's cool, so long as it promotes the general welfare.  Now get out there and secure the blessings of liberty for ourselves and our posterity!
Title: Audioscrobbler
Post by: CortJstr on September 01, 2004, 01:24:47 pm
Geez. Our group is like the freakin' CortJstr group, staring me! I'm CortJstr!*

You people need to listen to more music to balance me out. Because I'm making our Top Artist list pretty damned mainstream.

Also, do we need a group icon? Maybe one of the Ray dances or something.



*If you've seen MST3K the movie you should get this reference
Title: Audioscrobbler
Post by: andalucia on September 01, 2004, 03:41:07 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
You people need to listen to more music to balance me out. Because I'm making our Top Artist list pretty damned mainstream.


Since I've just switched my profile over, it'll apparently take a while for my songs to show up... but when they do, there'll be over 5000 of them, so don't fret your pretty little head.
Title: Audioscrobbler
Post by: CortJstr on September 01, 2004, 04:14:32 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
You people need to listen to more music to balance me out. Because I'm making our Top Artist list pretty damned mainstream.

Since I've just switched my profile over, it'll apparently take a while for my songs to show up... but when they do, there'll be over 5000 of them, so don't fret your pretty little head.

That reminds me. I wish there was an actual song count. The one they list is actually the # of listens. I'd be interested to see how many individual songs  vs. how many listens people have.
Title: Audioscrobbler
Post by: jough on September 01, 2004, 06:28:32 pm
I would like to point out that if you don't vote for songs, you have no right to complain about the music that is being put out.

TAKE A STAND: VOTE, PEOPLE
Title: Audioscrobbler
Post by: CortJstr on September 01, 2004, 07:12:29 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I would like to point out that if you don't vote for songs, you have no right to complain about the music that is being put out.

TAKE A STAND: VOTE, PEOPLE

I have the urge to start up a bunch of random threads across the board just to see how Jough ties them each into politics.
Title: Audioscrobbler
Post by: Limmo on September 01, 2004, 07:43:26 pm
I wish John Kerry would just come out and TELL US what kind of music he likes, rather than letting the Bush campaign insinuate his listening tastes.  Sometimes you have to FIGHT, dammit!

Alright, I'll stop now.
Title: Audioscrobbler
Post by: CortJstr on September 03, 2004, 01:25:06 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
You people need to listen to more music to balance me out. Because I'm making our Top Artist list pretty damned mainstream.

Since I've just switched my profile over, it'll apparently take a while for my songs to show up... but when they do, there'll be over 5000 of them, so don't fret your pretty little head.

Well, they showed up. Do you really have that many songs or just that many listens?
Title: Audioscrobbler
Post by: andalucia on September 03, 2004, 01:34:46 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Well, they showed up. Do you really have that many songs or just that many listens?


Just that many listens, but I'm not a big listener of songs over and over.
Nevertheless, Bozack, Slink, and Carlos have a lot of catching up to do.
Title: Audioscrobbler
Post by: Bozack on September 03, 2004, 06:59:17 am
Given that you and I have extremely similar musical tastes, anda, I'm feeling pretty good about it.
Also, I can kick or ban you. THINK ON THAT.
Oh, man, this must be a little like how jough feels EVERY DAY! WHAT A RUSH!
Title: Audioscrobbler
Post by: jough on September 03, 2004, 07:11:44 am
Don't let it go to your head, Skippy.
Title: Audioscrobbler
Post by: slink on September 03, 2004, 11:21:07 am
Well. I seem to have gotten Jaune Toujours into the group listing. That's something at least. Despite their fantasticism however, I will not listen to only them to keep them up there!
No instead, Morphine shall get listened to on repeat all day!

(I'd go insane!)
Title: Audioscrobbler
Post by: CortJstr on September 03, 2004, 12:57:56 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
Given that you and I have extremely similar musical tastes, anda, I'm feeling pretty good about it.
Also, I can kick or ban you. THINK ON THAT.
Oh, man, this must be a little like how jough feels EVERY DAY! WHAT A RUSH!

I guess my moment in the sun is over. With the exception of TMBG and The Pixies it doesn't look like my bands will last long in the top 50.
Title: Audioscrobbler
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 03, 2004, 02:25:50 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Nevertheless, Bozack, Slink, and Carlos have a lot of catching up to do.


And it's going to take me a while, because A. I just installed this thing and B.  my computer is not my primary means for listening to music (that would be my car).  But all in good time.
Title: Audioscrobbler
Post by: CortJstr on September 03, 2004, 03:10:58 pm
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
Quote from: "andalucia"
Nevertheless, Bozack, Slink, and Carlos have a lot of catching up to do.

And it's going to take me a while, because A. I just installed this thing and B.  my computer is not my primary means for listening to music (that would be my car).  But all in good time.

Ditto. I use my iPod more than anything and the computer just occasionally at night. Right now I've pretty much just listened to everything once to create a baseline.
Title: Audioscrobbler
Post by: St_Zartan on September 03, 2004, 08:03:17 pm
Okay, I'll play along.

It would be great if this thing had a plugin for Musicmatch Jukebox, though. I know it's really not a good program. I know this. But (a) I love the way the library is displayed (b) it rips CDs like some kind of city-folk electrified CD rippin' machine and (c) Super Tagging.

This is probably a good thing, actually. If I get back into the habit of using Winamp for listening to music, I'll probably spend a lot less time thinking about songs and actually playing them. With my relatively ancient machine, I often go without rather than disrupt / grind to a halt the nine other things I'm doing by starting up fuck*ng Musicmatch.
Title: Audioscrobbler
Post by: St_Zartan on September 04, 2004, 02:57:04 pm
I do not like to post in the same thread twice in a row, but I am confused about how to read this damn site, sometimes.

Consider the statistics for Lush (http://www.audioscrobbler.com/music/Lush), for example. I'm assuming that Ladykillers (which isn't really representative of their oeuvre dammit) has been played by users 965 times. OK.

The "Top Fans" numbers / bars (scroll down) don't make a fuck*ng lick of sense to me, though, and this is what I would like someone cleverer / more clued-in than your correspondent to explain, please. Along with any other nuances that may later come along to fuck me up.
Title: Audioscrobbler
Post by: CortJstr on September 04, 2004, 03:44:30 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
The "Top Fans" numbers / bars (scroll down) don't make a fuck*ng lick of sense to me, though, and this is what I would like someone cleverer / more clued-in than your correspondent to explain, please. Along with any other nuances that may later come along to fuck me up.

The numbers listed are: rank in user's Top Artists/#of plays. The order users are listed is determined by dividing these numbers.

The length of the bar is based only on the rank # which is why they don't pregess evenly. Because up until last week they didn't do the division part. But that was unfair because it was listing somebody with the numbers 1/54 as a bigger fan than a user with 2/309. The division was meant to fix that but they haven't changed the bar-length algorithm yet.

They are trying out different methods to make Top Fans more fair, but it's difficult to keep older users from getting an advantage. They're also trying to make it more fair for artists who have fewer songs.

There's a long, long thread about it in the Development forum if you like math and/or programming.
Title: Audioscrobbler
Post by: Gimpson on August 08, 2005, 03:41:40 pm
Wow, this thread is almost a year old.  I didn't really start using last.fm and Audioscrobbler regularly until recently, and just this morning I noticed that the Audioscrobbler site is gone, replaced with a "New Site Coming Soon" message.  

Did they announce anything about changes coming up soon?  It does still seem to be taking song submissions.
Title: Audioscrobbler
Post by: CortJstr on August 08, 2005, 04:04:49 pm
Quote from: "Gimpson"
Wow, this thread is almost a year old.  I didn't really start using last.fm and Audioscrobbler regularly until recently, and just this morning I noticed that the Audioscrobbler site is gone, replaced with a "New Site Coming Soon" message.  

Did they announce anything about changes coming up soon?  It does still seem to be taking song submissions.

It's a major redesign. The main change (aside from layout) is that last.fm is now the primary site and audioscrobbler.com will basically just be a redirect from now on. The new site will also include album support. However it will only recognize albums that are on musicbrainz.org.

They estimated that it would be live today but seeing as it's already 6pm their time I'm thinking tomorrow at the earliest.