The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: jough on June 20, 2004, 08:16:43 am

Title: Happy Father's Day!
Post by: jough on June 20, 2004, 08:16:43 am
Hey dads out there, HAPPY FATHER'S DAY

Did anyone's kid(s) do anything particularly groovy for any of you dads?
Title: Happy Father's Day!
Post by: andalucia on June 20, 2004, 02:57:12 pm
Happy fathers' day to all of you (the fathers in particular)
I made my father a card and I'll cook dinner tonight.  Nothing too astounding.
Title: Happy Father's Day!
Post by: Bozack on June 20, 2004, 07:12:42 pm
My dad got the DVDs of "The Good, The Bad and the Ugly" (Special Edition!), "A Fistfull of Dollars" and "For a Few Dollars More." A pretty good haul for the amount of effort he puts in.
JAY KAY DAD!!!!! LOL ROFL LMAO!!!!
Title: Happy Father's Day!
Post by: AugustWest on June 20, 2004, 08:40:39 pm
I got an espresso maker and a cool pillow stuffed with tiny foam pellets.

I got my Dad an Atomic Clock/Weather Station and a Rain Gauge.

And I've been cleaning house all day getting ready for my parents to get here.  Getting ready to grill lamb chops.  Mmmmm.  Also having grilled zucchini w/parmesan, new potatoes and Rich & Charlies Salad (it's a St Louis thing.)
Title: Happy Father's Day!
Post by: V-Adore on June 20, 2004, 11:30:30 pm
We... started to unpack things from the shed, went swimming, and then drove out to Many and ended up having Blizzards at the DQ. Not precisely thrilling, but we haven't done Father's Day very big for a while.
Title: Happy Father's Day!
Post by: jough on June 21, 2004, 03:29:42 am
YOUR STORIES ALL GROW TIRESOME
Title: Happy Father's Day!
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 21, 2004, 02:09:08 pm
I got a mug that says "World's Greatest Dad."  Yay!
Title: Happy Father's Day!
Post by: jay-ell on June 21, 2004, 04:03:43 pm
My father was driving home from Ohio and my father-in-law was (and still is) in Argentina.  

As far as I'm concerned, we *have* no fathers!

We're celebrating belatedly.  

We did, however, take a shot at making Pedro a father.  

No pun intended.
Title: Happy Father's Day!
Post by: side_show on June 23, 2004, 03:40:22 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
My dad got the DVDs of "The Good, The Bad and the Ugly" (Special Edition!), "A Fistfull of Dollars" and "For a Few Dollars More." A pretty good haul for the amount of effort he puts in.
JAY KAY DAD!!!!! LOL ROFL LMAO!!!!


I got my dad the exact same thing, except I got the regular edition of "The Good, The Bad and the Ugly" as my dad never watches special features on the DVDS.  Dads and Clint Eastwood.  

all squinting into the sun
all lookin' flinty
all windblown
all imagining your like that while mowin' the lawn


I've never been into Clint Eastwood.  Except in "Bridges of Madison County." I'm such a girl.

[ed.: yes you are, and watch those tags - Choop]
Title: Happy Father's Day!
Post by: jough on June 23, 2004, 04:42:34 pm
You're?
Title: Happy Father's Day!
Post by: andalucia on June 23, 2004, 04:46:04 pm
Quote from: "side_show"
I got my dad the exact same thing, except I got the regular edition of "The Good, The Bad and the Ugly" as my dad never watches special features on the DVDS.


I didn't watch the DVD special features but the Thingies in the Box were pretty ridiculous, all special limited edition international postcards and stuff.  A friend of mine made me watch this for the first time fairly recently, because he is obcessed with Ennio Morricone.  So in conclusion I am a girl and my buddy is pretentious.
Title: Happy Father's Day!
Post by: jough on June 23, 2004, 05:08:04 pm
Watching "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" is pretentious?  If so, sign me up.

It is not, however, as good as "Once Upon a Time in the West" which was just so unbelieveably good that I couldn't stop grinning the entire time just thinking about how great it all is.

Dang!

And the lobby cards are pretty cool - I liked the packaging on the GBU set.  The extra features are nice too, but the best part is that they've restored the cut to somewhere near how it originally played in Italy.  The other DVD is the U.S. cut, which is about 20 minutes shorter and has one of the coolest scenes of the film removed.  It looks like, having seen both versions, that someone who didn't know anything about the movie just snipped out 20 minutes of scenes at random.
Title: Happy Father's Day!
Post by: andalucia on June 23, 2004, 05:13:58 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Watching "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" is pretentious?  If so, sign me up.


Not in itself, but I daresay that watching a movie because you like the composer of its score is getting there.
Title: Happy Father's Day!
Post by: Limmo on June 23, 2004, 05:22:32 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Watching "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" is pretentious?  If so, sign me up.



I think she meant her friend's obsession with Ennio Morricone was pretentious, not watching Leone's films.  The kind of person who would make you sit through something obscure like Investigation of a Citizen Under Suspicion because The Untouchables is just so pedestrian.
Title: Happy Father's Day!
Post by: jough on June 23, 2004, 05:29:16 pm
Yeah, if you like Morricone's music (and who doesn't? - he redefined the film soundtrack) buy the damn soundtrack.

I have of course seen a film just because I liked the director, and I see a film starring John Cusak as an endorsement that I will probably like the film.