The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Choop on June 21, 2004, 11:11:03 pm

Title: Web Cartoonist's Choice Awards
Post by: Choop on June 21, 2004, 11:11:03 pm
Onstad has garnered one nomination (http://www.ccawards.com/2004.htm) - for Outstanding Writing. Well, duh.

Why aren't there links to all these comics? It's not like the "aitch tee emm ell" is going to bloat the file size and ruin the internet for everybody...
Title: Web Cartoonist's Choice Awards
Post by: V-Adore on June 21, 2004, 11:22:21 pm
Er, I'm seeing links there.

Anyway. IMHO, many of the nominations range from "a little pat but understandable, I guess" (Penny Arcade and Megatokyo) to "what the crazy crap" (Errant Story, Something Positive). Your mileage may vary, naturally.
Title: Web Cartoonist's Choice Awards
Post by: Choop on June 22, 2004, 02:53:40 am
Oh. There are links there.


See, usability isn't only for those with traditional handicaps, it's also for those with that extra dose of stupid. Those like me. Hi, I'm stupid Choop, and welcome to Tales of Idiocy.
Title: Web Cartoonist's Choice Awards
Post by: jough on June 22, 2004, 06:15:22 am
Choop, it's not your fault.  They stupidly made the links look like plain text.  That's a big usability and accessibility no-no.  By looking at the page, there's no way you could tell there were links anywhere on it unless you rolled your penis over one of them and noticed that the cursor turned into a little hand.

SCREW YOU, COMICS NOMINATIONS PAGE, FUCK YOU!
Title: Web Cartoonist's Choice Awards
Post by: sailor on June 28, 2004, 02:24:52 am
After an admittedly quick view of some of those other comics, I say: what suckage.
'Stad could wipe the floor wit' those fools while making Galaxy Nachos.
Title: Web Cartoonist's Choice Awards
Post by: andalucia on June 28, 2004, 02:51:02 am
Quote from: "sailor"
After an admittedly quick view of some of those other comics, I say: what suckage.
'Stad could wipe the floor wit' those fools while making Galaxy Nachos.


Agreed.  L.A.M.E.
Title: Web Cartoonist's Choice Awards
Post by: jough on June 28, 2004, 03:48:45 am
:lame:
Title: Web Cartoonist's Choice Awards
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on June 28, 2004, 03:27:11 pm
Why all the nominations for Count Your Sheep? I'd never heard of it before today, and, well, after going through the first 30 or so strips, I kinda wish I hadn't. Anyone read this? Is there a key to enjoying that I'm missing?

At least Pup got a nod.
Title: Web Cartoonist's Choice Awards
Post by: Steve Hogan on June 29, 2004, 07:03:58 pm
Whenever I see nominations that seem unusual, my first impulse is to suspect blowjobs.
Title: Web Cartoonist's Choice Awards
Post by: Mite on June 29, 2004, 08:31:39 pm
Whoa - Count Your Sheep is bad (Jough, I hope you appreciate that I resisted the urge to make a terrible pun there). That strip was a lot funnier when it was called Calvin & Hobbes.

And damn, how do Sinfest and Megatokyo keep getting nominated? Sinfest hasn't been funny since the first year it was out, and I've never known anyone to keep up with Megatokyo for more than a few months. It's gorgeous, yes, but the plot's unbearable. At least Sluggy didn't get nominated for anything.

No 8-bit? No Chopping Block? Cat & Girl? C'mon, people.

Wow, that's the most zeal I've been able to muster in days about anything, and I wasted it on webcomics. Oh well.
Title: Web Cartoonist's Choice Awards
Post by: V-Adore on June 29, 2004, 11:38:39 pm
Quote from: "Mite"
And damn, how do Sinfest and Megatokyo keep getting nominated? Sinfest hasn't been funny since the first year it was out, and I've never known anyone to keep up with Megatokyo for more than a few months. It's gorgeous, yes, but the plot's unbearable. At least Sluggy didn't get nominated for anything.

I just sort of stopped reading Sinfest, because while it was often funny, it had about one joke and just kept hammering on it like a retarded orangutan with a squeaky hammer. As for Megatokyo... well, I've never read it (and have not started, so as to remain neutral in the "how good/bad is Megatokyo" arguments my friends get into on a depressingly regular basis), but the SO is a (very defensive, these days) MT fan. What can I say? Taste hides in many corners.

Quote
No 8-bit? No Chopping Block? Cat & Girl? C'mon, people.

Excellent choices, all.

I remain quite possibly the only person on the Internet who does not enjoy or appreciate Something Positive. I mean, yes, okay, dumb game stories... but I'm a roleplayer; I've sat around and swapped much better stories on a hundred "fuck it, game pause 'til the pizza comes" nights. The rest is just bitterness, which I've never appreciated on any level. People love this strip enough to pay Milholland to draw it full-time; why?!
Title: Web Cartoonist's Choice Awards
Post by: Bozack on June 30, 2004, 06:31:14 am
Yeah, in regards to SP: I've been reading it for a while, and I CAN'T TELL YOU WHY. The jokes are usually pretty obvious, the morality is heavy-handed...I didn't throw in the kitty. It's essentially what I read when I've read everything else in my mental list.
Title: Web Cartoonist's Choice Awards
Post by: The Bob Talbot on July 01, 2004, 06:48:51 am
I cannot believe that people still read Sinfest.

Calvin-ripoff and friends act all angsty and yell at God with interludes of a cat and dog playing with a ball.

Repeat for all eternity.
Title: Web Cartoonist's Choice Awards
Post by: Mite on July 01, 2004, 09:43:38 pm
I finally started reading Something Positive yesterday. My SO's been raving for awhile, and since I now have enormous amounts of time on my hands (god bless you, paid summer vacation!), I thought I'd give it a go.

I just finished the archives a few hours ago. Have we mentioned that this is a daily strip that's been running for over two years?

I really enjoy it. It's like Questionable Content but with gamers instead of indie kids. Admittedly, I scanned some of the relationship-dialogue-heavy strips, but otherwise I thought it was quality. And there's a lot of dirty jokes! It's been added to my list.