The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: AugustWest on June 22, 2004, 08:48:28 pm

Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: AugustWest on June 22, 2004, 08:48:28 pm
I've got some, if anybody's interested.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: Gimpson on June 22, 2004, 08:58:52 pm
I've been whining for days that all my online pals are getting invited and I'm not.  One of them actually gave one of her invites to her four year old daughter.  

If I were you, I wouldn't reward my whining.  

That said, pretty please?
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: andalucia on June 22, 2004, 09:41:26 pm
If you've got an extra kicking around, I'd be more than happy to get one.
Just saying's all.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: arkabee on June 22, 2004, 09:54:39 pm
how badly does it suck?

are the adverts intrusive?

do they actually seem catered to you?
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: jough on June 22, 2004, 10:08:28 pm
Invite?

For a free advertising-based e-mail service?

What's wrong with Yahoo mail, or Hotmail?
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: AugustWest on June 23, 2004, 01:17:44 am
Quote from: "jough"
Invite?

For a free advertising-based e-mail service?

What's wrong with Yahoo mail, or Hotmail?


The invite thing is just shrewd marketing.  Supposedly it's still in beta and you have to get an invite to be a tester.  Testers get 6 invites within a day or so of signing up.  So I suppose it's designed to give the service some sort of cachet of exclusivity.  Whatever.

The nice part about it is you get 1 Gig of Inbox space.  Since my Yahoo mail account is next to useless because of the spam, I'm up for giving it a try.

Gimpson, yours is sent.  Andalucia, I'll be sending yours shortly.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: AugustWest on June 23, 2004, 01:20:19 am
Quote from: "arkabee"
how badly does it suck?

are the adverts intrusive?

do they actually seem catered to you?


Thus far it sucks far less than Yahoo, but I haven't had time to clog it up with spam yet.  I haven't noticed any out of the ordinary adverts.  I guess I just tune out the usual banners and such.  No pop-ups.  I was able to get my name as an email address without additional numbers, letters or cutesy crap.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: jough on June 23, 2004, 01:46:14 am
Whatever happened with the big to-do a month or so ago where Google revealed that they've been reading beta testers' mail to see what kinds of messages their users send?

Have they instituted some kind of privacy policy since then?
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: andalucia on June 23, 2004, 03:03:17 am
Many thanks for the invite, August.  I signed up for a Real Grownup Address, my name@gmail.com, in anticipation of many glorious years of gmail.

Edit:  Silly board, that is not a real email address.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: jough on June 23, 2004, 04:45:47 am
Even though I own eleven different domain names, I suddenly have the urge to acquire a Gmail account.

Austin, if you have any invites left over that no one wants, hook me up.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: St_Zartan on June 23, 2004, 05:18:37 am
Quote from: "jough"
Austin, if you have any invites left over that no one wants, hook me up.


In just a few short hours Jough was sucked in by the FEVAH

I can't see the appeal apart from (a) the Intarweb cachet of I'm in on the ground floor because I know someone who knows someone who knows etc etc and (b) the prospect of actually getting the username of one's choice in what is bound to, eventually, be a very crowded environment. Think about it. There has to be, somewhere, a jack@hotmail.com. And it wasn't you, because you weren't an early adopter. Of course, even laying claim to a hot username at fuck*ng Geocities doesn't measure up to that same name registered as a domain. But whatever.

I mean, the gig's got to be nice and all, but if you're hanging onto a gig's worth of e-mails - what? You actually think one day you're really and truly going to go back through them all? Or wait - let me guess - your fuck*ng biographers?

THIS'LL TEACH YOU TO SPEND AN HOUR AWAY FROM YOUR NEWSFEEDS, JACK
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: Bozack on June 23, 2004, 06:25:52 am
Ha, OH GOD I HAVE SUBMITTED AS WELL!
I'm just hoping to keep this one as offline as possible. My c*ck may not be MASSIVE, but that's my problem DAMN IT! I too have adopted myname@gmail.com.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: Gimpson on June 23, 2004, 12:29:28 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Gimpson, yours is sent.  Andalucia, I'll be sending yours shortly.


Thanks a bunch, August...
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: Gimpson on June 23, 2004, 12:44:03 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
I can't see the appeal apart from (some things)


I am stoked about:

1.  Large storage:  For years I've been running my own mail server, and mainly get to my mail through a webmail client (http://www.squirrelmail.org).  It is very nice to be able to leave all my mail on the server and be able to look up that recipe I emailed to myself seven months ago from whereever I am.  

2.  Google search of mail:  As the volume of mail I'm keeping on my server increases, searching through all of it has gotten a bit slower.  When Google is storing and indexing my mail, it'll be quite a bit faster to find stuff I want to get from them.

3.  They're Google, and they're cool:  I actually trust Google to index my mail for quick search without making a profile on me and selling my address to various unscrupulous third parties.  Whether said trust is warranted, or distrust in other companies is unwarranted remains to be seen, but Google has earned that level of trust from me.

Edit:  Forgot that these boards don't like the HTML.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: arkabee on June 23, 2004, 01:00:55 pm
well, i thought about it some, and i'd appreciate an invite if someone would be willing.

and, to answer the question of "why do you want to be on gmail", the answer for me is "because i know people are going to be having problems with it eventually, and it would be helpful to be familiar with the service in order to fix their problems."

and, of course, having another email address would be handy since v-adore got me ADDICTED to kingdomofloathing, which is a WORSE form of CRACK than magic the gathering. grrrr.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: CortJstr on June 23, 2004, 01:28:27 pm
The whole reason I even bothered creating cortjstr.com was so the SO and I could have actual reliable e-mail addresses instead of dealing with small limits, spam, and constant outages at hotmail and yahoo and now Google goes and offers more storage for free than I get for my entire website.

But still I've never like web interfaces. Even for my Hotmail account I use Outlook or OE. I only use Squirrel for my cortjstr account if I have to.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: AugustWest on June 23, 2004, 01:53:33 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Even though I own eleven different domain names, I suddenly have the urge to acquire a Gmail account.

Austin, if you have any invites left over that no one wants, hook me up.


Who the hell is Austin?
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: side_show on June 23, 2004, 02:52:03 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
...I mean, the gig's got to be nice and all, but if you're hanging onto a gig's worth of e-mails - what? You actually think one day you're really and truly going to go back through them all? Or wait - let me guess - your fuck*ng biographers?


As your future biographer, I order you to retain all e-mails and 7-11 reciepts for my future reference.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: jough on June 23, 2004, 04:45:29 pm
August, I have seen photos of you, and you look very much like a friend whose name is Austin.

And then my brain gets fried between August and Austin and...

I am an idiot.  

Thank you for the invite nonetheless.  I shall try to use it for good rather than evil.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: AugustWest on June 23, 2004, 04:53:02 pm
Quote from: "jough"
August, I have seen photos of you, and you look very much like a friend whose name is Austin.

And then my brain gets fried between August and Austin and...

I am an idiot.  


Ain't no thang.

Quote
I shall try to use it for good rather than evil.


I'll believe it when I see it.

Also, I have sent all my invites now.  Anybody else who wants one should bug one of the people who got one from me.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: V-Adore on June 23, 2004, 07:30:41 pm
Quote from: "arkabee"
and, of course, having another email address would be handy since v-adore got me ADDICTED to kingdomofloathing, which is a WORSE form of CRACK than magic the gathering. grrrr.

I, too, have done the "oh my GOD where can I get another E-MAIL ADDRESS I need to have a NEW ALT RIGHT NOW" thing. You know it's bad when you actually use the pretentious @livejournal.com e-mail alias you get with a paid account just because you need a Sauceror alt that badly.

Anyway, my name is uncommon enough that generally I don't feel the need to insta-sign-up for mailing services just to get it. On the other hand... man, all the cool kids are doin' it. Now I sorta want in.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: Bozack on June 23, 2004, 08:16:50 pm
Wait, so now is it like everyone with a new gmail account has our own invitations? My god, this is just like herpes! Yeah, if that's the case, anyone who wants one can give me a message.

AustinWest rocks my world.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: Gimpson on June 23, 2004, 08:26:25 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
Wait, so now is it like everyone with a new gmail account has our own invitations? My god, this is just like herpes! Yeah, if that's the case, anyone who wants one can give me a message.


Not just yet.  I assume we'll get our own invites at some point, but I'm not sure how long you have to have had the account before they invite you.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: jough on June 23, 2004, 08:38:37 pm
August said a couple of days.

And supposedly when one of your invites signs up they e-mail them and let them know what your e-mail address is, so that, I suppose, they can sign you up for SO MUCH SPAM.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: CortJstr on June 23, 2004, 08:44:26 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Anyway, my name is uncommon enough that generally I don't feel the need to insta-sign-up for mailing services just to get it. On the other hand... man, all the cool kids are doin' it. Now I sorta want in.

This is why I always use CortJstr. So far I've been able to use it everywhere I've signed up except for Yahoo. Screw you other CortJstr. FUCK You!
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: jough on June 30, 2004, 06:55:52 pm
Man, http://gmail.google.com is 404 now.

NOT FOUND
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: AugustWest on June 30, 2004, 07:17:29 pm
Mine is still working.  I just got this:

FOR SECURITY AND CONFIDENTIAL REASONS,YOU SHOULD SEND YOUR REPLIES TO THIS EMAIL BOX: belzulu@netomail.net

MR. BEL-ZULU
SOUTH AFRICA
EMAIL :belzulu@netomail.net

DEAR SIR,

I AM AN OFFICER CORPORATE BANKING DEPARTMENT OF TRUST [SOUTH AFRICA] MY DEPARTMENT RELATES MORE WITH THE AFFAIRS OF THE STATE. VERY LATELY AN AMOUNT OF MONEY WAS
DISCOVERED BY US IN A SUSPENSE / AN ABANDONED ACCOUNT TO THE SUM OF FIFTEEN POINT THREE MILLION US DOLLARS ONLY. AN ACCOUNT THAT BELONGED TO ONE OF OUR FOREIGN CUSTOMERS WHO DIED ALONG WITH HIS ENTIRE FAMILY ON NOVEMBER 1994 IN A GHASTLY AUTO CRASH. SINCE WE GOT INFORMATION ABOUT HIS DEATH, WE HAVE BEEN EXPECTING HIS NEXT-OF-KIN TO COME OVER AND CLAIM HIS MONEY BECAUSE WE CANNOT RELEASE IT UNLESS SOMEBODY APPLIED FOR IT AS NEXT- OF-KIN, OR RELATION TO THE DECEASED AS INDICATED IN OUR BANKING GUIDELINES. UNFORTUNATELY, NOBODY HAS COME FOWARD TO CLAIM THIS MONEY.IT IS BASED ON THIS THAT SOME OFFICIALS IN MY DEPARTEMENT AND I HAVE DECIDED TO ESTABLISH A CORDIAL BUSINESS RELATIONSHIP WITH YOU, HENCE MY CONTACTING YOU. WE WANT YOU TO PRESENT YOURSELF AS THE NEXT-OF- KIN OR RELATION OF THE DECEASED SO THAT THE FUND CAN BE REMITTED INTO YOUR ACCOUNT. MOREOVER, WE DO NOT WANT THE MONEY TO GO INTO THE GOVERNMENT ACCOUNT AS UNCLAIMED BILL.

THE BANKING LAW AND GUIDELINES HERE STIPULATE THAT ANY
ACCOUNT ABANDONED OR IS DORMANT FOR A PERIOD OF YEARS IS DEEMED CLOSED AND ALL MONEY CONTAINED THEREIN FORFEITED TO THE GOVERNMENT TREASURY ACCOUNT.

NOW IT IS BEING SPECULATED THAT THE ABOVE SUM WILL BE TRANSFERED INTO THE GOVERNMENT ACCOUNT AS AN UNCLAIMED FUND ON OR BEFORE DECEMBER 2004. THE REASON FOR REQUESTING YOU TO PRESENT YOURSELF AS NEXT-OF- KIN IS OCCASIONED BY THE FACT THAT THE DECEASED (CUSTOMER) WAS A FOREIGNER.

THE MODE OF SHARING AFTER A SUCCESSFUL TRANSFER OF THE MONEY INTO YOUR ACCOUNT: 70% TO MY COLLEAGUES AND I; FOR THE ROLE YOU WILL BE EXPECTEDTO PLAY IN THIS DEAL, WE HAVE AGREED TO GIVE YOU THIRTY PERCENT (25%) OF THE TOTAL SUM, AND 5% FOR THE EXPENSES WE ARE GOING TO ENCOUNTER BY THE TWO PARTIES AT THE COURSE OF THIS TRANSACTION.THEREFORE YOU ARE EXPECTED TO REPLY THIS LETTER INDICATING YOUR READINESS AND INTEREST TO PARTICIPATE IN THIS BUSINESS.

AFTER RECEIVING YOUR REPLY IN THIS EMAIL: belzulu@netomail.net

YOU WILL BE COMMUNICATED TO WITH THE
EXACT STEPS TO TAKE. I EXPECT YOUR URGENT RESPONSE

NOTE ALSO THAT FOR SECURITY REASONS I WOULD'T BE ABLE
TO SPEAK TO YOU DURING OFFICE HOURS HENCE I SHALL GIVE YOU MY PRIVATE NUMBER WHERE YOU CAN ALWAYS REACH ME AT THE PROPER TIME. PLEASE TREAT THIS BUSINESS ! PROPOSAL AS STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL FOR SECURITY REASONS. AS ALL THE TOP OFFICIALS INVOLVED IN THE BUSINESS HERE DO NOT WANT TO GET INTO TROUBLE AS A RESULT OF INDECENT PUBLICITY.

KIND PERSONAL REGARDS,

MR. BEL-ZULU


Sniff... My first spam at the new addy.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: jough on June 30, 2004, 08:22:48 pm
It's back up now.  I had sent them e-mail and they replied that they were upgrading a network switch.  

Whatever.

:lame:
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: Flenker on July 02, 2004, 02:09:38 am
well if anyone else has an invite, I wouldn't mind trying this thing out...  send the invite my way, to c_flenker (at) hotmail dot com
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: sailor on July 02, 2004, 02:52:16 am
If this thing does the herpes type spread, i'd luuuvvvvv an invite. I get so much spam at my current addy, it's almost not worth reading. i am, with any luck and love from y'all, at:  thesailor(at)eudoramail(dot)com , for not much longer.


thyaankkee!
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: jough on July 02, 2004, 05:03:58 am
I haven't gotten any invites yet, but three are already spoken for.  Then there's the two of you.

YOU WILL BE ADDED TO MY LIST IN THE ORDER IN WHICH YOUR REQUESTS ARE FILED

And please, those with fewer than 100 posts don't embarrass yourselves by even asking.

I mean, seriously.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: CortJstr on July 02, 2004, 02:46:05 pm
Quote from: "jough"
And please, those with fewer than 100 posts don't embarrass yourselves by even asking.

Let the post-whoring commence!
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: sailor on July 02, 2004, 05:48:04 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I haven't gotten any invites yet, but three are already spoken for.  Then there's the two of you.

YOU WILL BE ADDED TO MY LIST IN THE ORDER IN WHICH YOUR REQUESTS ARE FILED

And please, those with fewer than 100 posts don't embarrass yourselves by even asking.

I mean, seriously.


well, this is #96 here, but if you count 'em from back at dumbrella, it's like at least 300. so there.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: V-Adore on July 16, 2004, 01:30:00 am
Hate to bump an old thread, but I've recently become aware of a need, or at least something of a desire, for a Gmail invite. Anyone who has one they'd give to li'l ol' me, PM me, please.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: jough on July 16, 2004, 04:41:47 am
I've had an account for like, three weeks now, and still I haven't gotten any invites to give out.

Is there something special you have to do to get invites, August?
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: V-Adore on July 16, 2004, 04:54:20 am
Don't worry; August appears to have "gotten me," in technical terminology.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: AugustWest on July 16, 2004, 12:50:26 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I've had an account for like, three weeks now, and still I haven't gotten any invites to give out.

Is there something special you have to do to get invites, August?
Not that I know of.  They just showed up a few days after I signed up.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: pmcd9 on July 19, 2004, 11:20:32 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
I mean, the gig's got to be nice and all, but if you're hanging onto a gig's worth of e-mails - what? You actually think one day you're really and truly going to go back through them all? Or wait - let me guess - your fuck*ng biographers?

THIS'LL TEACH YOU TO SPEND AN HOUR AWAY FROM YOUR NEWSFEEDS, JACK


That's exactly what I was thinking.

~Paul
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: jough on July 19, 2004, 11:58:52 pm
Welcome back, Paul.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: AugustWest on July 20, 2004, 01:00:47 am
Yeah, welcome back PAUL!
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: V-Adore on July 20, 2004, 04:30:36 am
Welcome back!

Did you get free of the chair at last?
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 20, 2004, 06:12:30 pm
Paul. is. rad.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: wombat on July 20, 2004, 06:34:38 pm
Look!  It's Paul!
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: jay-ell on July 20, 2004, 06:38:50 pm
Paul!  We missed you so much!

I got knocked up while you were away!
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: jough on July 20, 2004, 07:00:44 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
Paul!  We missed you so much!

I got knocked up while you were away!


So *that's* where he's been...
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: slink on July 20, 2004, 07:25:54 pm
Hey Paul!
Welcome back. Sorry I never got round to emailing you while you were absent. I am lazy and useless like that.


Also I'm all swollen and in pain and not really here as I have to go back to work, but that's not a good excuse
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: CortJstr on July 20, 2004, 08:56:58 pm
There has been a decided lack of mustache on this board recently. It felt wrong.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: pmcd9 on July 20, 2004, 09:13:04 pm
I'm not back yet.

~Paul

PS- I've missed y'all too.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: CortJstr on July 20, 2004, 09:49:21 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
I'm not back yet.

~Paul

PS- I've missed y'all too.

G-g-g-g-g-ghost!

Zoinks!
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: V-Adore on July 20, 2004, 09:54:56 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "pmcd9"
I'm not back yet.

~Paul

PS- I've missed y'all too.

G-g-g-g-g-ghost!

Zoinks!

I find something appropriately ironic about his title being "Molly (in Heaven)," really.

It'd be better if he was YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER, but still.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: AugustWest on July 21, 2004, 01:18:28 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Zoinks!


"Jinkies!" would also have been an acceptable response.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: jough on August 25, 2004, 05:54:16 am
I have some invites if anyone still needs/wants one.  PM me.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: andalucia on August 25, 2004, 12:51:02 pm
Yeah, me too.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: CortJstr on August 25, 2004, 01:03:42 pm
I dunno if I'll really use it but I'll take one just to have the space.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: jough on August 26, 2004, 03:46:02 pm
Has anyone hooked up CJ yet, 'cause I just got another six invites.

They must like how I've been using them or something.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: CortJstr on August 26, 2004, 04:22:21 pm
No they have not.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: jough on August 26, 2004, 04:26:53 pm
Okay, I got you covered, bro.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: CortJstr on August 26, 2004, 04:34:41 pm
Thanks. Wow, I'm kind of impressed that the ads inside showed up even with Firefox's ad-blocker turned on. Especially since the normal Google AdWords are filtered out on other pages.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: Bozack on August 28, 2004, 01:03:26 am
Hey, J-Daddy, do you get more invites depending on how much email you send? Or is it just time, and how soon you adopted?
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: Mantonio on August 28, 2004, 01:42:27 am
Quote from: "jough"
Has anyone hooked up CJ yet, 'cause I just got another six invites.

They must like how I've been using them or something.


If you're still lookin' to get rid of some invites, I could take one off your hands.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: TALKYdude on August 28, 2004, 01:47:53 am
Quote from: "Bozack"
Hey, J-Daddy, do you get more invites depending on how much email you send? Or is it just time, and how soon you adopted?
I'm pretty sure the criteria for getting invites to give out are secret. But they do exist, because some people get them constantly and others barely at all. Whatever the jough man is doing, obviously Google loves him for it.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: jough on August 28, 2004, 02:37:42 am
Okay, wait, does Bozack need an invite or not?

I couldn't tell from your post, man.

And Mantonio, you have mail!
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: Mantonio on August 28, 2004, 03:36:17 am
Quote from: "jough"
Okay, wait, does Bozack need an invite or not?

I couldn't tell from your post, man.

And Mantonio, you have mail!


Thanks!
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: Bozack on August 28, 2004, 04:05:50 am
No, dude, I already got one. I was just wondering what the criteria was, as I have only given 2 invites.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: jough on August 28, 2004, 04:19:26 am
I didn't get ANY invites for the first like, six weeks.  Then I started sending some outgoing mail while I was on vacation and BOOM - 12 invites in two days, in groups of 1, 6, and 5.

So I don't know.  Google is voodoo, but it's MAGIC and NOT-EVIL voodoo.

God, I love Google so much.

THANK YOU GOOGLE FOR ALL YOU HAVE DONE FOR US
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: sailor on August 29, 2004, 12:24:12 am
Jough--- i all asked nicely for an invite in a PM; are you hatin' on me cuz i dissed belle and sebastian?
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: wombat on August 29, 2004, 01:50:27 am
OK, OK, I have to ask, revealing my total out-of-it-ness. Should I want one of these?  Why?
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: V-Adore on August 29, 2004, 05:16:24 am
Quote from: "wombat"
OK, OK, I have to ask, revealing my total out-of-it-ness. Should I want one of these?  Why?

The big schtick is that you've got 1GB of storage space. I intend to abuse this handily; I have a perfectly good existing e-mail address, but my old, crappy computer has a busted CD burner, and thus it will be salvaged via e-mailing files from it to my gmail account. Much storage.

Others' mileage may vary, of course.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: jough on August 29, 2004, 06:45:25 am
Quote from: "sailor"
Jough--- i all asked nicely for an invite in a PM; are you hatin' on me cuz i dissed belle and sebastian?


No, I have many reasons to hate you. ;)

Okay, I didn't see the PM.  Consider yourself invited.

But dude - the avatar?  Are you in distress?
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: sailor on August 29, 2004, 08:07:00 am
Quote from: "jough"
Quote from: "sailor"
Jough--- i all asked nicely for an invite in a PM; are you hatin' on me cuz i dissed belle and sebastian?


No, I have many reasons to hate you. ;)

Okay, I didn't see the PM.  Consider yourself invited.

But dude - the avatar?  Are you in distress?


Thanks jough---that is awesome

the avatar---i don't for sure know how it happened, but my old avatar of Beef contemplatin' impossible tetris vanished. So in honor of the upcoming RNC, i thought i'd wear my shit on my sleeve. Call me distressed.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: jough on August 30, 2004, 01:25:52 am
Okay, they just gave me six more.

You can call me MR. Gmail Invite.

I'd hate to waste the invites but I don't know anyone who wants a Gmail invite!

What to do?
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: AugustWest on August 30, 2004, 01:52:29 am
I just got 6 more too.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: Va on August 30, 2004, 02:42:40 pm
I'll take one.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: jough on August 30, 2004, 06:43:17 pm
Quote from: "Va"
I'll take one.


YOU GOTS ONE, SISTER!
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: Gimpson on August 30, 2004, 08:26:45 pm
I truly can't figure out how the invites are doled out.  I got one about three weeks after I got my address, and one more a few weeks ago, but I've never had more than one at once.

That said, I promised my soon-to-be-ex-boss that I'd invite him, and my invites went to a best friend and to the girlfriend.  If you have some that you fear will go to waste, I'll PM you his email so you can at least use them up.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: andalucia on August 30, 2004, 08:33:09 pm
Quote from: "Gimpson"
If you have some that you fear will go to waste, I'll PM you his email so you can at least use them up.


Sure, I've had one kicking around for a while.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: CortJstr on August 30, 2004, 08:47:01 pm
Does anybody know offhand if there's a minimum log-in for GMail? I know for Hotmail, etc you have to log in at least ever 30 days or they close the account. Is GMail similar?
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: andalucia on August 30, 2004, 08:56:13 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Does anybody know offhand if there's a minimum log-in for GMail? I know for Hotmail, etc you have to log in at least ever 30 days or they close the account. Is GMail similar?


Quote from: "Gmail"

Account Inactivity
Google will terminate your account in accordance with Section 9 of the Terms of Use if you fail to login to your account for a period of nine months.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: CortJstr on August 30, 2004, 11:32:37 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Does anybody know offhand if there's a minimum log-in for GMail? I know for Hotmail, etc you have to log in at least ever 30 days or they close the account. Is GMail similar?

Quote from: "Gmail"
Account Inactivity
Google will terminate your account in accordance with Section 9 of the Terms of Use if you fail to login to your account for a period of nine months.

Sweet. I was too lazy to search myself. Or bother logging into my account.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: sailor on August 31, 2004, 07:19:53 am
jough-
 i hate to be a whiney bitch about some dumb email account, but i haven't recv'd yr invite. it may be DUE TO PUNISHMENT but most likely it was that i just recently updated my email on this board. it is, now : thesailor (at) lycos (dot) com.

if that helps.

but i ain't gonna tell the internet that i like belle and sebastian. that would be lying to millions. i'd probably go to hell and not be able to answer the secret menu question.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: TALKYdude on August 31, 2004, 10:14:26 am
sailor, it may have gone in your spam folder?
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: Va on August 31, 2004, 01:47:38 pm
Quote from: "TALKYdude"
sailor, it may have gone in your spam folder?


Yeah, good idea to check.  Thunderbird thought my invite was spam.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: wombat on August 31, 2004, 02:02:56 pm
I seem to have gotten six invites to hand out practically the instant I signed up, if anyone wants.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: Gimpson on August 31, 2004, 02:27:21 pm
Yes, I finally got my set of six, so six more are available if anybody is interested.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: jough on August 31, 2004, 04:18:45 pm
sailor - I sent to your eudoramail account, but that's the one that bounces a lot.

I'm sure someone can hook you up with another invite via your new account.

Or maybe it'll show up eventually?

I don't know how the eudoramail.com accounts work.  They seem to *NOT* work as I get bounces from them a lot.

But even a bounce uses up one of my invites. :(
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: TALKYdude on August 31, 2004, 07:36:35 pm
jough, if you look at your sent folder you can copy the URL sailor needs to visit from the invite Gmail sent him, and email it to him at his other address or even just PM it to him on here.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: TALKYdude on August 31, 2004, 07:37:54 pm
jough, if you look at your sent folder you can copy the URL sailor needs to visit from the invite Gmail sent him, and email it to him at his other address or even just PM it to him on here.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: arkabee on August 31, 2004, 10:48:29 pm
Quote from: "TALKYdude"
jough, if you look at your sent folder you can copy the URL sailor needs to visit from the invite Gmail sent him, and email it to him at his other address or even just PM it to him on here.


this intrigued me, so i sent an invite from my gmail account to my gmail account.

http://gmail.google.com/gmail/a-a398ba7dce-6ba3de1e42-bef855d7c4

here are some more:

http://gmail.google.com/gmail/a-a398ba7dce-ecf81262e0-ba166c7b13

http://gmail.google.com/gmail/a-a398ba7dce-32948881d9-5eea98a366

http://gmail.google.com/gmail/a-a398ba7dce-3a6c5efb7b-f1cb8381ab

http://gmail.google.com/gmail/a-a398ba7dce-118929bce7-bddbab0afa

http://gmail.google.com/gmail/a-a398ba7dce-de5cb043f3-ba7fb99240

i wonder what will happen.

incidentally _I_ am kevbob@gmail.com ....
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: arkabee on August 31, 2004, 10:55:23 pm
Quote from: "arkabee"
i wonder what will happen.


cool.
"To create another Gmail account, you'll need a shiny new account creation link. We apologize for the inconvenience."

first link is dead, the rest still work.

SCRAMBLE FIRE TEAM ALPHA.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: arkabee on August 31, 2004, 11:06:40 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
Out of deathless curiosity, I have killed the last link.

(Does this make me bad?)

 :?

Thanks


no, i just means that everyone now knows your gmail address.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: jough on September 01, 2004, 02:30:18 am
Up for grabs Gmail.  Sweet.

Anyway, Sailor, I sent you another invite.

Every time I get down to about 2 invites they seem to bump me back up to 6.

So the invite train keeps rolling here.

Who're rad?  We're rad!
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: arkabee on September 01, 2004, 01:44:21 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Up for grabs Gmail.  Sweet.


apparently asherdan is the only one who doesn't think i have cooties.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: arkabee on September 01, 2004, 11:17:24 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
Quote from: "arkabee"
apparently asherdan is the only one who doesn't think i have cooties.


I'll be your friend, just don't tell anyone, 'kay?


my lips are sealed.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: sailor on September 03, 2004, 07:53:40 am
Jough--

got it. youare 10x superman w/ cheese.

in case yr wondering, eudoramail converted to lycos mail and i was forced to change my addy. i can't directly check eudora anymore; the emails sent there  get eventually sent to the lycos addy at some point.

i doubt anyone needs it at this point, as gmail is about as exclusive right now as the ymca, but i've got 5 invites left, if any y'all need tha hook-up.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: Va on September 10, 2004, 05:58:24 pm
Apparently you have to do exactly nothing to get gmail invites.  I got 6.

Goddamnit, gmail would be a lot more useful to me if it would work with a text browser.  Google be losing its roots, yo.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: andalucia on September 10, 2004, 08:48:41 pm
Quote from: "Va"
Apparently you have to do exactly nothing to get gmail invites.  I got 6.

Goddamnit, gmail would be a lot more useful to me if it would work with a text browser.  Google be losing its roots, yo.


Nor does it work in this stunning display of browserdom that is Konqueror.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: jough on September 10, 2004, 08:55:12 pm
It also won't work if you don't have Javascript turned on.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: V-Adore on September 13, 2004, 08:10:29 pm
Unlocked because Jough preceded to split out all the PENETRATOR!! bizarritude. Thus, it is safe to talk about Gmail again -- besides, I figure quite a few of us must have invites to paw off.

Speaking of which, I now have five invites. Anyone want one?
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: andalucia on September 13, 2004, 09:02:58 pm
I've got 6.
Gmail's really been a great internet lesson in supply and demand.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: V-Adore on September 13, 2004, 09:23:06 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
I've got 6.
Gmail's really been a great internet lesson in supply and demand.

Either that or the raw power of exponential growth.

(People still want these things, too. Why? Is it because of the perceived exclusivity, before you notice that everyone and their brother has invites they're trying to unload?)
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: CortJstr on September 13, 2004, 11:35:40 pm
I'm still seeing them used as prizes. That's kind of sad.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 13, 2004, 11:43:59 pm
I'll take one, V-Adore. I have a friend who needs one too...can you e-mail me two?
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: V-Adore on September 14, 2004, 01:00:34 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
I'll take one, V-Adore. I have a friend who needs one too...can you e-mail me two?

I don't think they're transferrable (unless you made the account and then gave your friend the password), but I'll gladly send your friend one too if you think he'd be comfortable with that. PM me info.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: Choop on September 14, 2004, 04:15:49 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Unlocked because Jough preceded to split out all the PENETRATOR!! bizarritude.


*cough*

T'was me.

True, I post rarely, but still I wield my moderator staff solemnly and judiciously.

</mystery>
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: V-Adore on September 14, 2004, 04:29:35 am
Ahhhhh. Well, the PENETRATOR!! stuff is split anyway, so the thread may live, liiive!!

This is all.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: Nabubrush on October 31, 2004, 12:18:31 am
OK, this is 1000 years out of date, but I tried Arkabee's stuff and it said it was expired. Is the bloom off of the rose? Because I am intrigued by this gig of storage thing, too. Can anyone help a brother out with one of these invites?
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: slink on October 31, 2004, 12:44:50 am
Similarly, actually, if there would be a second one going I would be grateful. It's not really important or anything, as I can get web access to my proper account, but I do like having a second main address, and would love it to not be hotmail...
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: wombat on October 31, 2004, 02:05:34 am
I've got a bunch, PM me your email address.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: sjlimmer on October 31, 2004, 03:10:01 am
Quote from: "wombat"
I've got a bunch, PM me your email address.


Ditto.

I've got to get rid of these damn things somehow....
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: Nabubrush on October 31, 2004, 11:33:44 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
I've got a bunch, PM me your email address.

Thank you, Wombat! And I got my name, too - woohoo! Take that, all you other people who are too late!

When I went back to look for this thread, I thought it was in science and tech.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: slink on November 01, 2004, 01:30:42 am
Indeed, thanks loads Wombat! And sorry SJ, for not helping you get rid of any!
Now just to persuade all the people who insist on using my hotmail account, NOT TO! Which I've been trying for years as is.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: Nabubrush on November 01, 2004, 07:10:56 pm
I just changed from an old Yahoo address to a new one - I'm wondering if I should actually go whole hog and change over to this other deal yet. My original Yahoo box was getting 100 spams a day, but so far my new one has been cool. What do people here think?
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: Choop on November 01, 2004, 07:17:17 pm
Screw free webmail is what I think. TextDrive (http://www.textdrive.com/) will host a website and email for $5 a month. Your own domain, your own email addresses, and any and all aliases you'd like. Plus, they run squirrel mail so you can get to your email from anywhere online. And it's five dollars a month. Plus, you don't even have to code your site - they give you TextPattern, a total CMS, for free. Oh, and other tools too.

</shill>
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: Nabubrush on November 01, 2004, 07:31:03 pm
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Screw free webmail is what I think. TextDrive (http://www.textdrive.com/) will host a website and email for $5 a month. Your own domain, your own email addresses, and any and all aliases you'd like. Plus, they run squirrel mail so you can get to your email from anywhere online. And it's five dollars a month. Plus, you don't even have to code your site - they give you TextPattern, a total CMS, for free. Oh, and other tools too.

</shill>

You are all ching chong wing wong.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: slink on November 01, 2004, 08:36:58 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"

You are all ching chong wing wong.


Yea. I use our work server for my usual email, as I like to have power... No, as I like to know I'm not losing emails, which seems to happen all too often with Hotmail at least. I have watched as people say they sent me something there, and it fails to turn up.
But, if you are using free, web based mail, I would put my trust in gmail over any of the others I can think of. At the end of the day though, it's your call. If you're happy with Yahoo, why change?
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: Nabubrush on November 01, 2004, 08:47:17 pm
Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"

You are all ching chong wing wong.


Yea. I use our work server for my usual email, as I like to have power... No, as I like to know I'm not losing emails, which seems to happen all too often with Hotmail at least. I have watched as people say they sent me something there, and it fails to turn up.
But, if you are using free, web based mail, I would put my trust in gmail over any of the others I can think of. At the end of the day though, it's your call. If you're happy with Yahoo, why change?

Well, it's cool to have the adddress johnsmith@gemail, instead of johnsmithxq47@gemail. I just wanted to know what you folks thought. However, I'll keep Yahoo too, because it has sports scores and print-based comics and weather and stuff.
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: wombat on November 01, 2004, 09:55:13 pm
Yeah, why get rid of one just because you have another?  Or am I weird that I'm not comfortable without four or five different email addresses?
Title: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: CortJstr on November 01, 2004, 09:59:43 pm
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Screw free webmail is what I think. TextDrive (http://www.textdrive.com/) will host a website and email for $5 a month. Your own domain, your own email addresses, and any and all aliases you'd like. Plus, they run squirrel mail so you can get to your email from anywhere online. And it's five dollars a month. Plus, you don't even have to code your site - they give you TextPattern, a total CMS, for free. Oh, and other tools too.

</shill>

Jiffynet has similar service for $20/year. It's what I use for cortjstr.com
Title: Re: Anybody want a Gmail invite?
Post by: wombat on January 29, 2021, 02:33:25 am
I can't even remember a time before Gmail anymore.