The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: AlohaDawg on June 24, 2004, 09:56:36 pm

Title: Corpse Flower ready to Bloom
Post by: AlohaDawg on June 24, 2004, 09:56:36 pm
AugustWest may especially appreciate this  (http://www.news.uconn.edu/2004/jun2004/rel04065.htm)
Title: Corpse Flower ready to Bloom
Post by: AlohaDawg on June 24, 2004, 11:57:38 pm
When it blooms, maybe they will put another webcam on the line of people so we can see all the retching and gagging...that would be really entertaining...
Title: Corpse Flower ready to Bloom
Post by: Mite on June 25, 2004, 12:03:08 am
One of those bloomed at the Univerisity of Wisconsin when I was there, and then in did it again a year or two later. I was always trying to avoid the crowds, though, so I missed 'em til they were passed their prime. Cool stuff, though.
Title: Corpse Flower ready to Bloom
Post by: AugustWest on June 25, 2004, 01:45:53 am
Tasty!
Title: Corpse Flower ready to Bloom
Post by: arkabee on June 25, 2004, 03:45:29 am
i'm sorry, i'm afraid to click the link.

so, it's a bloom whose scent makes people retch?
Title: Corpse Flower ready to Bloom
Post by: Limmo on June 25, 2004, 03:45:49 am
Do they sell seeds for the corpse flower?  Our new house has a backyard, and I'm sure the neighbors would love...
Title: Corpse Flower ready to Bloom
Post by: AlohaDawg on June 25, 2004, 04:28:50 am
It would maybe be easier just to plant a corpse. But you live in LA, right? I'd just wait a year or two - maybe one's already growing.
Title: Corpse Flower ready to Bloom
Post by: andalucia on June 28, 2004, 01:25:06 am
That corpse you planted last year in your garden,
'Has it begun to sprout?  Will it bloom this year? (http://eliotswasteland.tripod.com/)
Title: Corpse Flower ready to Bloom
Post by: slink on June 28, 2004, 03:18:54 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
That corpse you planted last year in your garden,
'Has it begun to sprout?  Will it bloom this year? (http://eliotswasteland.tripod.com/)


Props!
Title: Corpse Flower ready to Bloom
Post by: AlohaDawg on June 28, 2004, 03:36:02 am
Wow, that's deep. And weird.

Awesome.
Title: Corpse Flower ready to Bloom
Post by: jough on June 28, 2004, 03:45:27 am
I guess linking to the poem on Plagiarist.com would have been out of the question, eh?

:P

:P

:P
Title: Corpse Flower ready to Bloom
Post by: andalucia on June 28, 2004, 04:01:31 am
Far be it from me to seem sycophantic.


 :wink:
Title: Corpse Flower ready to Bloom
Post by: V-Adore on June 28, 2004, 05:04:02 am
Man, a "Waste Land" reference to be made, and I missed it. I feel awkward and ashamed, much like the maculate giraffe.
Title: Corpse Flower ready to Bloom
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 07, 2004, 11:54:45 pm
It Blooms Again, elsewhere (http://www.canada.com/national/story.html?id=2cfa4458-9a07-4acd-ad90-acb61220664f)


So normally I would not post a followup on a thread this dead and goofy, but thge name of the plant is Amorphophallus Titanum.

Any latin scholars out there?