The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Limmo on June 25, 2004, 04:26:26 am

Title: Posting Music Online
Post by: Limmo on June 25, 2004, 04:26:26 am
Alright, a question for you net-savvy folk:

My band just finished tracking nine songs for an album, and friends are asking to hear them.  Rather than sending them out in a jillion Emails...

...do you know of any places online where one can post mp3s for free, or failing that, as little $ as possible?
Title: Posting Music Online
Post by: slink on June 25, 2004, 07:17:44 am
http://www.besonic.com

And I can't remember the name of the bunch who took over mp3.com, but I think you have to pay for them, maybe.
Besonic is essentially just what mp3.com was though.

I don't know about any others. I used it and mp3.com a few years back, but now would just use my own space. If you don't have that and the bandwidth however, I don't know of any plain, free, hosting sites offhand.
Title: Posting Music Online
Post by: CortJstr on June 25, 2004, 12:44:36 pm
Quote from: "slink"
And I can't remember the name of the bunch who took over mp3.com

garageband.com?
Title: Posting Music Online
Post by: slink on June 25, 2004, 01:10:42 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"

garageband.com?


Rings a bell. But yea, do you not have to pay them to get your account back?I very, very briefly considered doing so, but I have all the mp3s I had on mp3.com right here so there's little point, and if it does, indeed cost money, then, fuck that shit right up!
Title: Posting Music Online
Post by: Limmo on June 25, 2004, 01:50:05 pm
I seem to remember mp3.com going under, but I will investigate all your selections as soon as I'm compos mentis.  Why can't I wake up with the coffee already inside me?
Title: Posting Music Online
Post by: CortJstr on June 25, 2004, 04:24:26 pm
If you seriously just want to get the mp3's to a few friends and not set up a website or anything just open up a GMail or recently enlarge Hotmail/Yahoo account.

Send the files to some address you know will bounce back then have your friends log in and DL the files from the Sent Items folder.
Title: Posting Music Online
Post by: Limmo on June 25, 2004, 04:58:36 pm
I need to set up a page, not just for friends but so I can post an address on a couple of recording forums so I can get feedback on what is and isn't working on our tracks ( how is the mix, are there microphones out of phase with each other, etc. ).
Title: Posting Music Online
Post by: jough on June 25, 2004, 06:18:39 pm
How much disk space and bandwidth would you need?
Title: Posting Music Online
Post by: Limmo on June 25, 2004, 08:15:13 pm
Oh, hell, I don't know.  I'm so dumb about this shit.

I'd probably want to post ten or eleven songs ( anywhere from 3 to 8 MB in size ), with a little bit of explanatory text and a jpg or two.  Bandwidth?  No idea.  Whatever would make it quick, or at least not horribly slow, to download or listen to a song.

If, in fact, that's what bandwidth is for. I so not smart.
Title: Posting Music Online
Post by: jough on June 25, 2004, 08:26:15 pm
Bandwidth generally means total transfer allowance for web hosting.

In other words, if you have 10Mb of material, and you expect 200 visitors to download the stuff per month, then you'd need 2Gb of bandwidth to handle the downloads (minimum).

So that's all I was wondering.  Because if it's just a few songs and you only need it temporarily for a couple months, I could hook you up.
Title: Posting Music Online
Post by: CortJstr on June 25, 2004, 08:34:43 pm
Quote from: "jough"
So that's all I was wondering.  Because if it's just a few songs and you only need it temporarily for a couple months, I could hook you up.


Quote from: "a little before that Jough"
If you just need an account to share some photos and stuff just fuck*ng *ask* me, dude.

-- the guy with the big server

Jough, not just El Guapo but also the forum's Hosting Sugar-Daddy.
Title: Posting Music Online
Post by: Limmo on June 25, 2004, 10:25:07 pm
No kidding!  I'll talk to the guys in the band tonight and then PM you with what we want to do.  Thank you Jough!
Title: Posting Music Online
Post by: jough on June 25, 2004, 10:40:27 pm
No problem.

And by "hook you up" I mean "charge you through the nose."

Just so we're clear. ;)
Title: Posting Music Online
Post by: Limmo on June 26, 2004, 05:27:01 am
Well, if I'm going to get fucked whole-dong by somebody, it may as well be you.  :)

Wait, that came out wrong.
Title: Posting Music Online
Post by: jough on June 26, 2004, 06:22:00 am
Man, if I had a nickel for every time I heard that...
Title: Posting Music Online
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 28, 2004, 01:31:36 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Man, if I had a nickel for every time I heard that...


... you could buy some Chiclets from an old vending machine?


Sorry, you lob up a softball like that, I have to take a swing at it.