The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Bobby Isosceles on June 29, 2004, 11:19:31 am

Title: 06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on June 29, 2004, 11:19:31 am
Well kids - you asked for it, and this is what you got.
Title: 06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on June 29, 2004, 11:50:56 am
Sleeve garters? Is he in a goth barbershop quartet?

Alternate:

Sleeve garters? Is he in a goth mariachi band?
Title: 06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
Post by: Gimpson on June 29, 2004, 12:22:24 pm
Little Nephew!  Don't wear a cape!
Title: 06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
Post by: arlucasinc on June 29, 2004, 01:08:18 pm
That's the greatest thing about kids. They can go from being all hip-hop, pant-leg for each ankle, t-shirt tucked into their tighties to all flat out lantern-toting goth in the course of a weekend.
Title: 06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
Post by: CortJstr on June 29, 2004, 01:14:26 pm
With that hair he looks a little like a M.U.S.C.L.E. Man.
Title: 06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
Post by: wombat on June 29, 2004, 01:31:44 pm
How do Ray's glasses stay on, when his ears are on top of his head?
Title: 06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
Post by: Limmo on June 29, 2004, 01:33:38 pm
The limit.  That truly is it.
Title: 06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
Post by: TALKYdude on June 29, 2004, 03:19:05 pm
Best laugh I've had in days.
Title: 06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
Post by: llimllib on June 29, 2004, 04:10:57 pm
I like the dark makeup around his eyes, it makes him look like he is wearing a mask. Also, he carries one hell of a lantern. I wonder if he stole that off the neighbor's porch.
Title: 06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
Post by: CortJstr on June 29, 2004, 04:26:36 pm
Quote from: "llimllib"
I like the dark makeup around his eyes, it makes him look like he is wearing a mask. Also, he carries one hell of a lantern. I wonder if he stole that off the neighbor's porch.

Later on he's going to lead the Olde Towne Hauntings Tour sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce.
Title: 06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
Post by: jough on June 29, 2004, 04:30:30 pm
So, for those who found this funny: it's just that he's goth that's funny?

Is that the joke - that he is a goth?
Title: 06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
Post by: Formica on June 29, 2004, 04:57:08 pm
I particularly enjoyed the fact that LN is using the Royal We to address Ray.

I thin the humor comes from the silliness of the goth stereotype 'stad is adopting, and the never-ending quest of LN to find his own identity.

I think he was best as a pissed off bottle of Wild Turkey, though.
Title: 06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
Post by: Bozack on June 29, 2004, 05:21:57 pm
I just like the completely baleful look he's giving Ray. Ray, sort of slumped over, faced with Tiny Dracula.

It is simply the LIMIT.
Title: 06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
Post by: jough on June 29, 2004, 05:26:21 pm
That's right, I forgot.  Anything Onstad does is just great with you people.

Oh well.  Carry on.
Title: 06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
Post by: AugustWest on June 29, 2004, 05:33:46 pm
Jough is a goth!  Jough is a goth!
Title: 06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
Post by: andalucia on June 29, 2004, 06:08:19 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
Apparently the goth is the new acceptable behaviour/appearance cultural subset to mock, and that makes it funny.

Or it's possible that the funny here lies in the Little Nephew adolescent attempts to establish his own sense of image and self by modeling 'extreme' youth behaviours and appearance.  This allows us to watch Ray and Little Nephew conduct combat operations over the unclaimed land of the generational gap.  Which can be funny.


I assumed that the humour lay in the fact that he had adopted the subcultural trappings so quicky and completely.  A social commentary, if you will, on the commercialization of....
Just kidding.  Goths are funny, huh?
Title: 06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
Post by: jough on June 29, 2004, 06:30:59 pm
Yeah, I was just wondering why anyone thought this was funny, other than "He's different - huh huh."

Is it just because you're conditioned to laugh at Achewood because it's been funny in the past?  Does the mere mention of Goths make something funny?

There was an episode of South Park last season where they made fun of Goths - but there was actual commentary and jokes at their expense.  They didn't just parade goth-looking kids onto the screen and be like David Brent gesturing at the monkey (you'd have had to have seen The Office to know what I mean).

I know Onstad's ripped off South Park before, but usually he does so with a bit more wit.

I didn't get the impression that today's strip was supposed to be funny.  It's more of a setup to possible future funny, which made the "OMG I LOLed SO HARD THIS IS SO FUNNY" comments a little bizarre.
Title: 06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
Post by: CortJstr on June 29, 2004, 06:59:23 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I didn't get the impression that today's strip was supposed to be funny.  It's more of a setup to possible future funny

Agreed. He's just setting up the new LN look with the expectation that tomorrow Ray will tear into him. Kind of like the rap battle (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=05082003).


I hadn't linked anything in a while. I was starting to get really antsy.
Title: 06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
Post by: Steve Hogan on June 29, 2004, 07:01:09 pm
It's funny because any time you see little nephew's face funnyness occurs. Something about those wide little eyes, always looking skyward....

Also nephew's stilted speech and the lantern are nice touches.
Title: 06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
Post by: V-Adore on June 29, 2004, 07:10:52 pm
Okay:

I don't find this one particularly funny in and of itself. However, for a setup strip, there is a certain level of actual humor ("One Cuddleplace Lane," the alt-text about LN's bgcolor being #666666) and there is a visual kick from the new costume being unveiled.

It's pretty nice on a sheer artistic level, too. After bitching yesterday about the laziness of the art in that strip, I feel slightly vindicated at some more art being at play here.
Title: 06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
Post by: district on June 29, 2004, 07:19:30 pm
Quote from: "jough"
So, for those who found this funny: it's just that he's goth that's funny?

Is that the joke - that he is a goth?


I've been lurking on this board for awhile and I can no longer resist the urge. Maybe it's already been noticed by more perceptive members of this little community, but I feel the need to say it.

Jough is Comic Book Guy (from the Simpson's) come to life. In all his annoyingly wiseass glory.
Title: 06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
Post by: Noah on June 29, 2004, 07:53:51 pm
Haha! This is awesome. The alt text is worth it alone.
Title: 06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
Post by: Doc Gooden on June 29, 2004, 08:29:34 pm
You know, I simply can't imagine why Onstad closed the Dumbrella board. Totally drawing a blank here.
Title: 06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
Post by: slink on June 29, 2004, 08:44:47 pm
Quote from: "Doc Gooden"
You know, I simply can't imagine why Onstad closed the Dumbrella board. Totally drawing a blank here.


Hey Chris.


I liked it, like yesterday, as a straight follow on. It's just, well...
Having kind of been, and thus spent a lot of time with goths, the stereotype can be funny when highlighted in certain ways. It can be tiresome and boring, but Little Nephew just makes me think of two peoples I used to know - a (very much ex) friend who was the most pretentious goth you could possibly imagine, and my now friend's cousin who is about Little Nephew's age, and decided he was a goth. Despite the fact he wore white and didn't listen to anything remotely gothic in tone.
Title: 06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
Post by: AugustWest on June 29, 2004, 08:52:34 pm
Quote from: "Doc Gooden"
You know, I simply can't imagine why Onstad closed the Dumbrella board. Totally drawing a blank here.


Well gee, that's a conversation killer.  No matter what anybody says now they look petty and fanboyish.  My goodness but you're a clever fellow.

This board isn't run for Onstad's benefit.  He professes not to read it.  He should never have participated in the Dumbrella board.  I can't imagine reading this sort of thing about something that I'd created.  This board is not for or about Onstad.

This board is for us.  We all appreciate Achewood and this is where we come to share the fun with like-minded people.  We come to be clever.  We come to have obscure jokes explained to us.  We come to have a community with a small group of like-minded fools who think in the same strange way that we do.  I like it here, a lot.

I don't give a shit whether Onstad does or not.
Title: 06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
Post by: slink on June 29, 2004, 09:15:07 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
I like it here, a lot.


It has to be said, I look at this way.
If Onstad were to stop doing Achewood, much as it would suck, I wouldn't want this board to go. Achewood is only part of this.
I mean what percentage of the threads here aren't in the Achewood topic?
Title: 06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
Post by: arkabee on June 29, 2004, 09:31:04 pm
Why I Think This Comic Strip Is Funny.
By- kevbob
Date- 6/29/04
Teacher- Mr. Jough Poopy#####.

I think that today's Achewood comic strip is funny because i like the drawings a lot and they made me laugh at the animals wearing clothes.

Mr. Ray Smuckles, the older kitty cat, standing there lock-knee'd as he stares at the younger cat, Little Nephew.  Mr. Ray is wearing under#####, and his tail sticks out of a hole in the under#####.  This is pretty funny.

Then there is the drawing of the smaller cat, who is looking out of the corner of his eyes at the older cat, and he's holding a funny looking light or something that i once saw at that fancy restaurant that mom and dad took me to that one time.

That reminds me of the funny thing my sister told me, when we were at the restaraunt, so that makes me laugh even more.  because when something funny reminds me of something else funny, it all just becomes even more funny.

But so the little cat looking out the corner of his eyes is a funny picture, but he looks like he has a mohwawk, which is funny in a queer way.  and it's always funny to hear the word queer unless it is when the older kids are calling you it.

And there are musical notes dancing in the beginning of the comic.  They are funny too, because dancing musical notes make me laugh.

There are words too, but i can not read, so i do not know what they mean, which makes me sad, because i'm sure they represent a witty dialogue which would make me laugh even more.

The End.

PS
what is a goth?
Title: 06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
Post by: V-Adore on June 29, 2004, 09:31:32 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Eloquence about what we are here for and why it's a good thing Onstad isn't here

Amen, man. Amen. I don't want to drag this off-topic too far, but I think the lack of Onstad is a primary reason that this board is.. well, such a safe, supportive place to totally anorak out.

Anyway, I do think some of the visual humor comes from Little Nephew's face superimposed on that strange pseudo-goth Hotte Topicke look. He has exactly the same facial expression as when he first asked Uncle Ray about getting his bone on, all those story arcs ago. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=04042002)

And that's funny.
Title: 06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
Post by: Bozack on June 29, 2004, 09:39:47 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Amen, man. Amen. I don't want to drag this off-topic too far, but I think the lack of Onstad is a primary reason that this board is.. well, such a safe, supportive place to totally anorak out.


I'd like to award V-Adore todays prize in Furthering the English Lexicon through her use of the phrase "anorak out." I hope to, one day, bear her children.
Title: 06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
Post by: wombat on June 29, 2004, 10:35:23 pm
It is good that Onstad is not reading this to know that I laughed much harder at arkabee's post than at today's strip.  Because I would hate to hurt his feelings, fanboyish though that may be.  

PS. Is there such a word as 'fangirl'? With all the same connotations? In my aged out-of-it decrepitude, I am not sure.
Title: 06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
Post by: AlohaDawg on June 29, 2004, 10:42:15 pm
I thought it was kind of funny. Just kind of, though. I agree with whoever said that this board would probably go on in the absence of Achewood.

I got nothing else.

Carry on.
Title: 06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
Post by: V-Adore on June 29, 2004, 11:32:18 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
PS. Is there such a word as 'fangirl'? With all the same connotations? In my aged out-of-it decrepitude, I am not sure.

There is, actually, although it has very different connotations, generally. I've generally seen it used almost gender-neutrally: "fanboy" for the classical Comic-Book-Guy-style behavior pattern, "fangirl" for behavior involving gushing incoherence, flakiness, and generally acting like a 14-year-old girl with the new copy of Tiger Beat, and "fan" for more reasonable behavior all around. (I say "almost gender-neutral" because, with some exceptions, the behaviors do fall under gender lines -- "fanboys" can be either gender now, but "fangirls" are still predominant female.)

Incidentally, Bozack, thank you for the kind words. Feel free to use "anorak out" wherever you work or bank.
Title: 06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
Post by: slink on June 30, 2004, 12:05:57 am
Quote
the whole why it's funny debacle


Also:
In panel 2 Ray is blatantly scratching his ass.
Little Nephew's use of desist. Most unlike him, and shows the bitter, morose depression he is in fits of.
Title: 06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
Post by: AlohaDawg on June 30, 2004, 12:23:55 am
Quote from: "Doc Gooden"
You know, I simply can't imagine why Onstad closed the Dumbrella board. Totally drawing a blank here.


Mentioning the Dumbrella Fiasco in post #1 should be a bannable offense.
Title: 06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
Post by: Ben-San on June 30, 2004, 12:28:06 am
I think that any kind of extremely overblown behavior is funny when it's being done by someone very short. Also, the sudden unveiling of regalia adds an extra bit of impact.
Title: 06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
Post by: wombat on June 30, 2004, 01:05:18 am
Quote from: "Ben-San"
I think that any kind of extremely overblown behavior is funny when it's being done by someone very short.


I feel compelled to take violent, overblown exception to this remark.

However, I am most pleased by our vocabulary expert V-Adore's explication of the subtle differences between 'fanboy' and 'fangirl'.  I hope I never get too old to feel like a 14 year old with a new copy of Tiger Beat once in a while.
Title: 06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
Post by: AugustWest on June 30, 2004, 01:24:32 am
Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "Ben-San"
I think that any kind of extremely overblown behavior is funny when it's being done by someone very short.


I feel compelled to take violent, overblown exception to this remark.


You're crackin' me up!
Title: 06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
Post by: Ben-San on June 30, 2004, 01:51:57 am
Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "Ben-San"
I think that any kind of extremely overblown behavior is funny when it's being done by someone very short.


I feel compelled to take violent, overblown exception to this remark.


If it's any help I think that most extremely overblown behavior is also funny when it's being done by someone very tall or with a large beard.

Also seconded on the feeling-like-a-fourteen-year-old-girl thing.
Title: 06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
Post by: Mite on June 30, 2004, 03:41:43 am
The 14-year-old fangirlishness is ok, but if any of you start posting Achewood-themed, Mary Sue slash fanfic, I'm so outta here.

Note: this was typed one-handed 'cause I burned my finger bad on a light bulb. Carry on.
Title: 06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
Post by: AugustWest on June 30, 2004, 03:43:46 am
Quote from: "Mite"
Note: this was typed one-handed 'cause I burned my finger bad on a light bulb. Carry on.


That's a novel excuse for one-handed typing.  




I'll have to use that.
Title: 06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
Post by: arkabee on June 30, 2004, 04:30:07 am
- i know it means that i am not cool but what does "anorak out" mean?

- i have been to this "dumbrella" board because i can't resist clicking things, and i have to say that i am very glad that whatever happened happened and Mr. Jough opened this little arena del conversation because the membership is varied, opinionated, and intelligent.  they are also funnier than hell.  

a comic strip is a little piece of art, commentary, and sometimes humor.  this discussion forum thingee is a big piece of art, commentary, and humor.  while it might make my brain fat, i'd prefer my edification Super Sized.

- would it be funny to make a joke from
Quote from: "wombat"

I hope I never get too old to feel like a 14 year old with a new copy of Tiger Beat once in a while.

or would i be crossing the line into Hello Creepy?
Title: 06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
Post by: St_Zartan on June 30, 2004, 05:11:22 am
GOD DAMN IT PEOPLE

You can find something funny without falling all the fuck over yourself to laugh at it. I have already - and I generally do not read the internet in this way - read too many stupid Message Board Threads in which Person A makes a Funny and Person B makes a Retarded Remark about Ha, you owe me a new keyboard, the Unspoken Joke being that they were taking a drink at the time that they read said Funny and &c &c

I woke up this morning and I read Achewood and it made me smirk. I thought it was funny. I did not spend like three hours beating myself in the Brain trying to figure out why I did not Laugh Out Loud, though:

1. Little Nephew had a fuck*ng lantern. Did you all somehow miss that? Somehow in his brain he has decided that being Dark and Troubled and Vaguely Victorian involves lurching around his room with a damn lantern. I went through a Goth Phase and I sure as hell didn't tote a fuck*ng lantern. Little Nephew thinks "Goth" is a cross between Gay Pirate and that one Led Zeppelin poster. This is funny.

2. That, and here is the young Rap Artist who brought us "Fuck... Algebra". You don't often see rappers turn goth. Really. When I read today's strip, I really and truly thought I would come to the board and find people trying to make gangsta rap - goth connections. I mean, come on.
Title: 06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
Post by: jough on June 30, 2004, 06:18:56 am
Quote from: "Asherdan"
Quote from: "jough"
I didn't get the impression that today's strip was supposed to be funny.  It's more of a setup to possible future funny...


And that's pretty much the way I took it, which I hope came through in my earlier post.


Yes, I pretty much reiterated what you wrote somewhat - thanks to the POWER OF THE SKIM!
Title: 06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
Post by: V-Adore on June 30, 2004, 08:15:18 am
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
1. Little Nephew had a fuck*ng lantern. Did you all somehow miss that? Somehow in his brain he has decided that being Dark and Troubled and Vaguely Victorian involves lurching around his room with a damn lantern. I went through a Goth Phase and I sure as hell didn't tote a fuck*ng lantern. Little Nephew thinks "Goth" is a cross between Gay Pirate and that one Led Zeppelin poster. This is funny.

Either that or he takes his impressions of dark broodingness from Zork.

Maybe he's practicing to be a Grue?
Title: 06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
Post by: Steve Hogan on June 30, 2004, 04:48:26 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"

2. That, and here is the young Rap Artist who brought us "Fuck... Algebra". You don't often see rappers turn goth. Really. When I read today's strip, I really and truly thought I would come to the board and find people trying to make gangsta rap - goth connections. I mean, come on.


It is a hilarious 180 turn when you think about it.  Talk about diametrically opposed musical cultures.  Try to imagine Pete Shelley and  Siouxsie Sue drinking gin and juice and booty dancin'.