The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Bozack on June 29, 2004, 09:36:45 pm

Title: Cover me, COVER YOU!
Post by: Bozack on June 29, 2004, 09:36:45 pm
So, I bought an electric guitar the other month (Danelectro Longhorn), and I've been noodling around on it pretty regularly. I've basically just been doing scales and trying to either find tabs for songs or tab them out myself. Here are the songs I can play (....basically) so far-

"Rumble," by Link Wray
"Steppin' Stone", Minor Threat version
"Theme to the Good, the Bad and the Ugly"- Ennio Morricone
"Goodnight Moon"- Shivaree
"Shanty Town"- Desmond Dekker
"It's Not Unusual"- Tom Jones (I love this song SO MUCH, think of it as thus: Bozack:"It's Not Unusual"::Sid Vicious:"My Way", in terms of reverence)
"Pablo Picasso"- The Modern Lovers
"(Marie's The Name of) His Latest Flame"- Elvis
"53rd and Third"- The Ramones

Here are some of the songs I want to learn to play:
"Time Trap"- Built to Spill
"Mystery Train"- Elvis
"The Regulator"- Bad Brains
"My Way"- Sex Pistols version
"Milkman of Human Kindness"-Billy Bragg
"Spanish Bombs"- The Clash
"Hope"- The Descendents
"And She Was"- The Talking Heads
"Forming"- The Germs
"Superbad"- James Brown

Is there anything major I'm missing? If you were doing a covers album, what would you put on it?
Title: Re: Cover me, COVER YOU!
Post by: miles on June 29, 2004, 11:51:09 pm
I think it's rad you want to play these songs.

I also agree that Time Trap is an amazing song, one of Doug's finest moments.  What's even cooler is that Mystery Train is another favorite of mine.  I love trains, and Mystery Train is probably the best train song out there.  Either that or Born on a Train by the Magnetic Fields.  You need to cover a Calexico song, a Johnny Cash song, and a song off Sweetheart of the Rodeo by the Byrds, now that you have me in a train/country-ish type of mood.

The Jesus Lizard has some songs that rock so hard.  Do Gladiator.

Quote from: "Bozack"
"Time Trap"- Built to Spill
"Mystery Train"- Elvis
Title: Cover me, COVER YOU!
Post by: AlohaDawg on June 30, 2004, 12:22:38 am
Quote from: "Asherdan"
Great topic idea but maybe y'all want to get your ideas in before them banjo nuts roll in and take over.

And Bozak: What, no Deep Purple?  Flippin' kids today.

My personal cover album has been a ten year process of me trying to faithfully recreate Robert Cray's Strong Persuader (http://www.gooddog-music.com/blues_robertcray6.htm) album in my own image.


Ya mean Bastard Ya.....

I would love to learn Smoke On the Water on the banjo. That would be awesome.
Title: Cover me, COVER YOU!
Post by: AugustWest on June 30, 2004, 01:20:32 am
I've got the music to And She Was around here someplace along with a bunch of other Talking Heads songs.  My favorite one to play is Air.  Because it can hurt you, too.
Title: Cover me, COVER YOU!
Post by: Bozack on June 30, 2004, 06:15:48 am
Another great train song: "Midnight Special", the Johnny Rivers version.
In fact, my next mix will be thus: the Planes, Trains and Automobiles mix.
Involving these train songs, as well as good driving songs.
Y'all been warned.
Title: Cover me, COVER YOU!
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 30, 2004, 12:54:02 pm
I likes to play the Blake Babies' version of Dinosaur Jr.'s "Severed Lips" on my gee-tar.

I really need to learn about a dozen Iron & Wine songs.  It would help if I had someone to sing the harmony parts though.
Title: Re: Cover me, COVER YOU!
Post by: Limmo on June 30, 2004, 04:57:25 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
If you were doing a covers album, what would you put on it?


With my band, I'd want to record the following:

Cheap Trick, "He's A Whore"
The Jam, "Away From the Numbers"
The Beatles, "Good Morning Good Morning"
Son Volt, "Drown"
T. Rex, "Telegram Sam"
Funkadelic, "Standing On the Verge of Getting It On"
Peter Gabriel, "Here Comes the Flood"
Gram Parsons, "$1000 Wedding"
The Shaggs, "My Pal Foot Foot" ( fast rockabilly version )
Neil Young, "Powderfinger" ( while horribly drunk )
Night Ranger, "Don't Tell Me You Love Me" ( ditto )

and a medley of
The Scorpions, "No One Like You"
Santana, "Smooth"
Dio, "Rainbow in the Dark"

By myself, using Cakewalk Sonar and GuitarPort, I would probably just do an album-length cover of Emotional Rescue by the Rolling Stones.
Title: Cover me, COVER YOU!
Post by: Limmo on July 01, 2004, 04:36:45 pm
Well, that was a fun thread.

ETA: SARCASM
Title: Cover me, COVER YOU!
Post by: Bozack on July 01, 2004, 05:10:02 pm
Quote from: "Limmo"
Well, that was a fun thread.


Yeah, I'm good with the short 'n' sweet style threads. Light engagement on a summers afternoon, that's me.