The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: V-Adore on June 30, 2004, 08:10:14 am

Title: 30 June -- Like a goth Bootsy Collins
Post by: V-Adore on June 30, 2004, 08:10:14 am
Okay, now this is more like it.

Goddamn, I want Ray's goth costume. Fantabulous.
Title: 30 June -- Like a goth Bootsy Collins
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 30, 2004, 12:48:51 pm
Ray, why must you ruin everything LN enjoys?  WHY?
Title: 30 June -- Like a goth Bootsy Collins
Post by: CortJstr on June 30, 2004, 01:05:09 pm
Ray's door is awesome. I totally need that on my bedroom. Only with a K.
Title: 30 June -- Like a goth Bootsy Collins
Post by: AugustWest on June 30, 2004, 01:05:21 pm
Congratulations on getting the thread title right, V.  It could have been nothing else today.

This was another where I kind of smirked at the strip but had to fight hard to control my laughter (here in the office) when I read the alt-text.  

Although I am perhaps giving Onstad too much credit for the humor of that line.  Think about it -- virtually any sentence you can think of is funnier if you include the words "Bootsy Collins" in it.
Title: 30 June -- Like a goth Bootsy Collins
Post by: Bozack on June 30, 2004, 03:36:06 pm
Man, when I saw it, I actually thought "Screamin' Jay Hawkins" more than Bootsy. But what do I know.
Anyway, yes, this is awesome.
Title: 30 June -- Like a goth Bootsy Collins
Post by: llimllib on June 30, 2004, 04:59:18 pm
I think the Bootsy reference is the hip skull sunglasses. Also, I think that Ray is probably the first outside-thong-wearing goth on the planet.

Quote
Ray, why must you ruin everything LN enjoys? WHY?


Look, no offense to goths or thugs, but if  I were a parent, I wouldn't want my kid being either of those things. The humor, for me, comes when Ray acts creatively to try and make his kid act how he believes is "normal". I bet if LN became a skater punk like Ray was back in the day (hell, he could borrow Beef's DK shirt) that Ray would be all about it. He just doesn't want the kid being like those kids that he hated back in high school.

<edit>Bozack: your sig is now 300% awesomer than it used to be, although I didn't notice what it was before.</edit>
Title: 30 June -- Like a goth Bootsy Collins
Post by: V-Adore on June 30, 2004, 08:55:42 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
Man, when I saw it, I actually thought "Screamin' Jay Hawkins" more than Bootsy. But what do I know.
Anyway, yes, this is awesome.

Well, "goth Screamin' Jay Hawkins" is also a great image and entirely worthy of being the first runner-up to the "Bootsy Collins" alt-text.

But you can't go wrong with Bootsy, man.
Title: 30 June -- Like a goth Bootsy Collins
Post by: MSC on July 01, 2004, 01:22:07 pm
The overlooked -- but excellent -- thing about this strip is the "room service" tray of food outside Ray's room.  Ray has people to clean up after him.
Title: 30 June -- Like a goth Bootsy Collins
Post by: slink on July 01, 2004, 01:49:10 pm
Quote from: "MSC"
has people to clean up after him.


I suspect that it is in fact the case with the room service tray, and the dumb waiter, that he has no serving staff, but likes to use them as some pretense of class.

The Ray:
2 shots of class
1 shot of laze
shake smoothly (schmoovely)
dress with style and serve
Title: 30 June -- Like a goth Bootsy Collins
Post by: CortJstr on July 01, 2004, 04:20:15 pm
Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "MSC"
has people to clean up after him.

I suspect that it is in fact the case with the room service tray, and the dumb waiter, that he has no serving staff, but likes to use them as some pretense of class.

The Ray:
2 shots of class
1 shot of laze
shake smoothly (schmoovely)
dress with style and serve

I noticed the tray but have to agree with slink. If Ray had a staff you just know he'd be mildy abusive. Kind of like he is with Beef where he doesn't realize he's being a dick. That seems like something we'd see in the strip.

But I also can't see Ray doing his own laundry.
Title: 30 June -- Like a goth Bootsy Collins
Post by: jough on July 01, 2004, 04:29:15 pm
What laundry?

I mean, how hard is it to wash a thong?
Title: 30 June -- Like a goth Bootsy Collins
Post by: AugustWest on July 01, 2004, 05:02:54 pm
You gotta polish the crown, too.
Title: 30 June -- Like a goth Bootsy Collins
Post by: CortJstr on July 01, 2004, 08:29:51 pm
Quote from: "jough"
What laundry?

I mean, how hard is it to wash a thong?

The cat has robes. Not to mention sheets and towels. And do you think Ray cleans his own toilet/sink/kitchen floor?