The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Noah on July 02, 2004, 09:49:19 am

Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: Noah on July 02, 2004, 09:49:19 am
This is a great idea, but I get the feeling he'll abandon it with within a month. If not, though, awesome! Beef's is perfect..
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: wombat on July 02, 2004, 11:57:08 am
I am all giggly. I feel exactly like a 14 year old girl with a new copy of Tiger Beat.  

PS: Clearly the title of this thread needs to be "Put on your face eyes."
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on July 02, 2004, 01:12:55 pm
Bleah. Double bleah.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: AugustWest on July 02, 2004, 01:59:59 pm
Good concept and opportunity for character development.  Some of the execution is wanting.  I will be astounded if Onstad manages to update all of these on an ongoing regular basis.

As usual, Pat cracks me up.  A Journey Into Reason.  That Pat, he irons his underwear.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: CortJstr on July 02, 2004, 02:44:09 pm
Meh. There's too many of them to keep up with reading let alone Onstad writing them all. I don't want to have to go get an RSS reader just to follow Achewood.

Granted I do need an RSS reader but I'd feel silly if I finally broke down and got one just for some extra fake blogs.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: palm trees on July 02, 2004, 02:44:14 pm
lyle and molly's blogs are perfect.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: slink on July 02, 2004, 02:46:11 pm
Well.
I think Ray's is pretty good. I mean, if I'm going to read a blog, let it be a fictional blog based on the Achewood characters! Rather that than some real person!!
I just like the way Ray speaks, and we don't get so much of it in the strips, so I like either a Ray's Place or a blog to keep me going with his vernacular.
And Beef, well, naturally...

Oh and Pat's rules, and answers, mysteriously, our question about Ray's help.
Aaaaand, it makes me happy that Molly and Beef are quietly together. God knows I needed something in my life right now, and a fictitious cat relationship will do! Daaaamn.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: Formica on July 02, 2004, 03:58:18 pm
This raises a point I've been curious about for a long time.

Beef is obviously a l33t h4x0r. Why doesn't he have some kind of job that will let him afford his own place? I mean, really? I guess maybe computer jobs aren't common in the underground, yet he can afford to buy 365 pairs of under##### at once. Is it his schitzophrenia and inherent guilt that keeps him in Gramma's house?

I mean, I just figure now that he has Molly back on the old jumping dirt, you'd think he'd get a nice condo somewhere and hit up Ikea with her in a scene of Bay Area domestic consumer bliss.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: llimllib on July 02, 2004, 04:35:18 pm
Quote
Bleah. Double bleah.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: sailor on July 02, 2004, 05:44:54 pm
I'm getting the feeling that Stad's all "What the HELL am I going to do about my WEB COMIC?!"

I think he should take a vacation, run a guest week in which all loose threads are tied up, and start anew. Cos right now he's all a giraffe floppin' on the bottom of the boat.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: palm trees on July 02, 2004, 06:28:03 pm
Quote from: "sailor"
I'm getting the feeling that Stad's all "What the HELL am I going to do about my WEB COMIC?!"

I think he should take a vacation, run a guest week in which all loose threads are tied up, and start anew. Cos right now he's all a giraffe floppin' on the bottom of the boat.


the dude probably needs a holiday, but i don't agree. i'm just quietly enjoying achewood being as good as it's always been, then flipping out all excitedly when we get new stuff. instead of worrying it won't last. (because so what? we got today, eh?)
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: jough on July 02, 2004, 06:40:43 pm
I have not read any of these yet, but weren't we just saying last week that Achewood character blogs would be pretty nifty?

I'm too busy to CortJstr it right now, but perhaps the man himself will enlighten us.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 02, 2004, 07:17:44 pm
Quote from: "Formica"
Beef is obviously a l33t h4x0r. Why doesn't he have some kind of job that will let him afford his own place?


Are we sure it's not Beef's house, and Grandma is staying with him?

Quote from: "Asherdan"
Question: Anyone else having issues pulling the blogs up for Philipe, Mr. Bear and Roast Beef?


Blogspot has been squirrelly lately.  Refresh it once or twice, it'll come up.

I am NOT putting all nine of these critters on my blogroll.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: CortJstr on July 02, 2004, 07:57:02 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I have not read any of these yet, but weren't we just saying last week that Achewood character blogs would be pretty nifty?

I'm too busy to CortJstr it right now, but perhaps the man himself will enlighten us.

Best I could do in 2 minutes: http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?t=687
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: V-Adore on July 02, 2004, 08:23:02 pm
What weirds me most is how much Chris writes like Ray, except apparently with less booze knowledge.

Philippe and Teodor are so perfect that it almost makes me cry, and Lyle's is also fabulous, if only because it got "Oddfellows Local 151" stuck in my head and I'm happy to have it there.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: wombat on July 02, 2004, 08:27:03 pm
Quote from: "sailor"
I'm getting the feeling that Stad's all "What the HELL am I going to do about my WEB COMIC?!"


No, no, see, we're, like, exploring the possibilities of the medium.  With the comic being on the web and all and stuff you could never do in a newspaper and that kind of thing.  I mean, it would be a brilliant idea to have Opus the penguin write an op-ed column but they'd never let you do it.  But he could have Ray actually selling his posters on eBay and then, man, I'd really start losing track of the borders between reality and fantasy.  Like seriously breaking the comic strip fourth wall and all.

Oh never mind isn't he just adorable today?  Tee hee. You all stop being such party poops.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: AugustWest on July 02, 2004, 08:39:20 pm
Quote from: "wombat"

No, no, see, we're, like, exploring the possibilities of the medium.  With the comic being on the web and all and stuff you could never do in a newspaper and that kind of thing.  I mean, it would be a brilliant idea to have Opus the penguin write an op-ed column but they'd never let you do it.  But he could have Ray actually selling his posters on eBay and then, man, I'd really start losing track of the borders between reality and fantasy.  Like seriously breaking the comic strip fourth wall and all.


Exactly.  It's all about creating interesting characters and finding new ways for them us to observe and interact with them.

Ray'll probably start posting here soon...
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: slink on July 02, 2004, 09:02:06 pm
I really don't understand the whole take a break thing.
I am digging Achewood just as much as ever right now.

That. Is. All.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: ferocious j on July 02, 2004, 10:49:50 pm
Poor Mr. Bear -- who knew he had such deep-seated anxiety issues?

I agree that Lyle's is pretty much perfect.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: doomglobe on July 03, 2004, 12:47:29 pm
man I thought they were great. Onstad's was the best. All about what he eats for breakfast. It was almost like a REAL BLOG. You know, he doesnt really have to sustain it. He has made a few good points, gotten a few laughs, and now he can move on, or come back and hit it a few times later in case he missed a spot. I have never seen achewood being about continuity. At least not directly. Continuity leads to boredom.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: V-Adore on July 03, 2004, 08:29:52 pm
Quote from: "doomglobe"
I have never seen achewood being about continuity. At least not directly. Continuity leads to boredom.

I'm not sure I agree with you on this. I've never seen Achewood being about continuity -- certainly not to the degree of a soap-opera or plot-based strip -- but I've very much liked how it's grown from a gag strip to having its own sense of continuity and story. I like that characters develop and that the status quo changes. To me, a fixed status quo from which one never deviates is more boring.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: Mantonio on July 03, 2004, 09:17:25 pm
I wonder why the *#*#*s don't get to have blogs?  If they did, I think it should be a group blog.  As for Todd, well, I guess he could dictate to Blister.  Also, now that Little Nephew's a Goth, he should get himself a Livejournal or Xanga.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: Ben-San on July 03, 2004, 09:31:38 pm
Wouldn't LN be likely to use Deadjournal instead? (Assuming that's still around.)
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: V-Adore on July 03, 2004, 09:59:31 pm
Quote from: "Ben-San"
Wouldn't LN be likely to use Deadjournal instead? (Assuming that's still around.)

It lives. I mean... after a fashion. (http://www.deadjournal.com)

Any DJ users here want to come out of the woodwork and e-mail 'stad a code?
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: Mantonio on July 05, 2004, 02:16:49 am
Oh no.  
http://mollysanders.blogspot.com/2004/07/roast-beef-is-barbecuing.html
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: wombat on July 05, 2004, 02:45:13 pm
The sneak - he's been updating the blogs!

I love Teodor on Chris's cookbook collection - probably because there was a point in my life where, with just a tiny bit less self control, that could have been me.  And man do I need the Hug Squad to come to my house -  excuse me, I mean, the H.U.G. S.Q.U.A.D., of course.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: slink on July 05, 2004, 03:00:29 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
The sneak - he's been updating the blogs!


I totally dug having the updates to read this morning.
Molly's was great, as was Ray's. Pat's was just fuck*ng brilliant!

But Ray's, it reminded me of back when his 'Place' first started and we of the story of him meeting the girl when he took LN to buy a watch. Such a gem.
Beef's was kind of weird. I think it made me think too much of the place I am right now (not lurking outside of a sports bar, just, emotionally and thematically).
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: pubdoggy on July 05, 2004, 03:42:57 pm
wait wait wait.

Molly is GINGER. I did NOT see that coming.

ihavenothingagainstredheads
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: wombat on July 05, 2004, 04:19:30 pm
Oh, I missed some of Molly's.  I didn't think much of hers at first.  But now I am all giggly again.  Damn you, Onstad, I thought I was finally over you.

And Pat.  Oh god.  Isn't he just perfectly unbearable?
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: jough on July 05, 2004, 04:32:04 pm
Pat's is the best.

Oh, that loveable asshole.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: Mantonio on July 05, 2004, 05:05:59 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Pat's is the best.

Oh, that loveable asshole.


I found my self sympathising with Pat when he recounted his ordeal with the teenagers who wouldn't leave.  

Sometimes I think it should be illegal to be a teenager.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 06, 2004, 06:29:24 am
Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "wombat"
The sneak - he's been updating the blogs!


I totally dug having the updates to read this morning.
Molly's was great, as was Ray's. Pat's was just fuck*ng brilliant!

But Ray's, it reminded me of back when his 'Place' first started and we of the story of him meeting the girl when he took LN to buy a watch. Such a gem.
Beef's was kind of weird. I think it made me think too much of the place I am right now (not lurking outside of a sports bar, just, emotionally and thematically).


There are Atom feeds (every journal + /atom.xml). You can fit them into your RSS reader. For example, on livejournal.com (which has that 'friends page' aggregator mechanism), i've made one for each blog.

I like how Onstad really appears to be blogging his meals (candied apples aside).
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: wombat on July 06, 2004, 01:15:19 pm
I wish I had more than the vaguest idea of what RSS is.  But it's not like I've got anything else to do aside from surf the web at the moment, so why be more efficient.

Philippe and the garbagemen, it breaks my heart.  And Pat.  If I weren't so convinced that Pat exists, I'd say that that character is really inspiring someone to great heights lately.

But, Chris - Miracle Whip?  Do you eat it on your Ore-Ida shredded hash browns too?  I'm so disillusioned.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: CortJstr on July 06, 2004, 04:45:59 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
I wish I had more than the vaguest idea of what RSS is.  But it's not like I've got anything else to do aside from surf the web at the moment, so why be more efficient.


Definition (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS_%28protocol%29) of RSS that might not actually help you much.

Wired review of RSS readers (http://www.wired.com/news/infostructure/0,1377,63538,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_3).

Basically it's a way of sticking all the blogs/news sites that you want to keep track of throughout the day into one convient place so you are stuck going through your favorites or hitting F5 17 times a day for each one.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 06, 2004, 05:10:17 pm
I am looking forward to H.U.G.S.Q.U.A.D. attempting to spring into action against Lyle.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: CortJstr on July 06, 2004, 05:16:10 pm
Speaking of the H.U.G. S.Q.U.A.D. what does MH stand for? Master Hugger? Mister Hugs? Main Hugster?

Who else immediately pictured Philippe Otter, Agent of H.U.G.?

Also, the concept of a Sesame Street Disco Tape both intrigues and terrifies me.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: wombat on July 06, 2004, 05:58:15 pm
OK, now I'm reading all the profiles.  Roast Beef is interested in Epidemiology - such fine taste - and Pat's evilness is confirmed for me by his interest in my former field of Linguistics.

Oh, it is a fine time in Achewood-land for a fan to be temporarily (one hopes)  Without A Life.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: jough on July 06, 2004, 06:29:14 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"

Also, the concept of a Sesame Street Disco Tape both intrigues and terrifies me.


Dude, I had this record album.  I believe it was called "Sesame Street Fever" and featured Grover in the Travolta pose.  It had disco songs with the words changed, featuring the Sesame Street characters.

I HAVE OWNED THIS AND CAN VERIFY THAT IT EXISTS

That's what I get for being born in the mid-70s.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: jough on July 06, 2004, 06:30:40 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Speaking of the H.U.G. S.Q.U.A.D. what does MH stand for? Master Hugger? Mister Hugs? Main Hugster?


It says in the mission statement.  It's Master Hugger.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: side_show on July 06, 2004, 07:20:38 pm
Quote from: "jough"

I HAVE OWNED THIS AND CAN VERIFY THAT IT EXISTS

That's what I get for being born in the mid-70s.


I still own it and there are several copies for sale on ye olde ebay
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=306&item=4022740289&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: Mite on July 06, 2004, 07:59:26 pm
I, too, owned the disco Sesame Street album. It might still be lurking in a box in a parental basement somewhere. Dare I hope?
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: Mite on July 06, 2004, 08:08:45 pm
After a little research and remembering, I realized it's actually this (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=306&item=4022169597&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW) album I was thinking about. Sesame Disco, not Fever.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: side_show on July 06, 2004, 08:18:38 pm
They really got some use out of that white polyester suit on Grover didn't they!
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: CortJstr on July 06, 2004, 08:26:14 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Speaking of the H.U.G. S.Q.U.A.D. what does MH stand for? Master Hugger? Mister Hugs? Main Hugster?

It says in the mission statement.  It's Master Hugger.

D'oh! How did I miss that? Well Philippe should get a better title because he's the leader. Such as Grand Master Hugger.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: jough on July 06, 2004, 08:44:53 pm
Could we maybe use a thread for each character's blog?

Because I was looking around the board today and I decided that there simply aren't enough threads.

I will leave this to the mods.  I'm going to go make myself a Caucasian and listen to some Skynyrd.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: CortJstr on July 06, 2004, 08:55:33 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Could we maybe use a thread for each character's blog?

Because I was looking around the board today and I decided that there simply aren't enough threads.

I will leave this to the mods.  I'm going to go make myself a Caucasian and listen to some Skynyrd.

I'd consider that but would we have just one thread per character and watch the page count go up or do like we do for the strips and start a new thread for each day there's a post?
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: slink on July 06, 2004, 10:10:15 pm
Pat's just gets better!

RSS is all very nice, but kind of doesn't work when you have to refresh the page a billion times to actually find anything!
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: CortJstr on July 06, 2004, 11:13:47 pm
That actually reminded me that my registration renewal is due.

Thank you, Pat! You are the Blog of the Week!
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: St_Zartan on July 06, 2004, 11:31:25 pm
Pat's blog worries me. With every new post, I am beginning to realize that, apart from the wanton bunny slaughter, I am turning into Pat. I mean just four fuck*ng nights ago I was sitting in my apartment, drinking vodka, listening to King Crimson (take it to A&E if you have issues, dammit) and wishing death upon my completely noisy and fuck*ng inconsiderate neighbor across the hall. Is it breaking Laws to tell you all that I have unspooled in my head these elaborate Splinter Cell-style fantasies in which I, in the dead of night, climb across to her balcony and pipe in poison gas through a cheap little bit of flexible plastic hosing you could buy anywhere via a loose bit in the moulding around the window?

PROBABLY
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: jay-ell on July 07, 2004, 12:25:21 am
Not only do I remember having owned Sesame Street Fever, I had it on 8-track and still remember a frightening percentage of the words to "Doin' the (wah wah) Pigeon."  

Born in '79, and feelin' older every day.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: CortJstr on July 07, 2004, 01:00:57 am
Quote from: "jldunston"
Not only do I remember having owned Sesame Street Fever, I had it on 8-track and still remember a frightening percentage of the words to "Doin' the (wah wah) Pigeon."  

Born in '79, and feelin' older every day.

I am becoming more and more convinced that there is a Brunching Shuttlecocks (http://www.bookofratings.com/sstreet.html) link for every occasion.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: slink on July 07, 2004, 06:21:12 am
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Is it breaking Laws to tell you all that I have unspooled in my head these elaborate Splinter Cell-style fantasies in which I, in the dead of night, climb across to her balcony and pipe in poison gas through a cheap little bit of flexible plastic hosing you could buy anywhere via a loose bit in the moulding around the window?

PROBABLY


I do that on occasion.
Both, that is - the sitting around in anger listening to Crimson, and plotting intricate murders.
Beautiful.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 07, 2004, 03:04:20 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "wombat"
The sneak - he's been updating the blogs!


I totally dug having the updates to read this morning.
Molly's was great, as was Ray's. Pat's was just fuck*ng brilliant!

But Ray's, it reminded me of back when his 'Place' first started and we of the story of him meeting the girl when he took LN to buy a watch. Such a gem.
Beef's was kind of weird. I think it made me think too much of the place I am right now (not lurking outside of a sports bar, just, emotionally and thematically).


There are Atom feeds (every journal + /atom.xml). You can fit them into your RSS reader. For example, on livejournal.com (which has that 'friends page' aggregator mechanism), i've made one for each blog.

I like how Onstad really appears to be blogging his meals (candied apples aside).


atom.xml feeds on the main page now.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: doomglobe on July 07, 2004, 03:20:54 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"

Who else immediately pictured Philippe Otter, Agent of H.U.G.?


apparently onstad did. but then he took it down. I saved it, though, and it is now my desktop background.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: doomglobe on July 07, 2004, 03:34:01 pm
oh wait thats right he didnt take it down. sorry. It is still there.

(it is just that onstad is updating everything so much now that I cant tell what is there and what isnt) (I am very confused by all this updating)
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: slink on July 08, 2004, 07:06:15 am
I had never considered that, while working out which characters I am most like, and always assuming a cross of Ray and Beef, there is a large part of Teodor too. As from reading about his 'falling back on risotto' and such, I am so Teodor when it comes to food.
I don't consider it falling back on risotto when you make courgette (zucchini) and pancetta risotto or bitchin' seafood risotto with the best mussels and shit you can find. I am not one to skimp when cooking, as well, it just tastes so much better.
Anyway...


Oh, and Molly's made me laugh out loud. Jason Alexander is indeed. Let alone...
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 08, 2004, 01:11:21 pm
Amen on Teodor, Slink.  Man, I wish I had a living teddy bear who cooked me gourmet dinners every night.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: AugustWest on July 08, 2004, 01:49:17 pm
Hymen!
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: Formica on July 08, 2004, 03:57:31 pm
Lyle and Todd dropped acid and killed some some High Life 32s. I love it.

I still envision Lyle shooting the computer at some point, though - perhaps that'll be the excuse when 'stad gives up on this experiment :P
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: Mantonio on July 08, 2004, 06:04:21 pm
Quote from: "Formica"
Lyle and Todd dropped acid and killed some some High Life 32s. I love it.

I still envision Lyle shooting the computer at some point, though - perhaps that'll be the excuse when 'stad gives up on this experiment :P


I bet Lyle gets fired if he keeps on coming in late for work.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: Gimpson on July 09, 2004, 06:41:20 am
With the new gf and and all, I've been cooking a lot more than normal lately.  On Tuesday I made some risotto, my first attempt, and I was quite proud of myself.  

Now all this talk on the blogs is making me feel horribly cliché.  It may be hot dogs for dinner this coming Sunday.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: slink on July 09, 2004, 08:34:39 am
Yes, Chris.
Teodor wins!

I must remember to do that with leftover risotto next time I do some. And indeed, leek is one of the best ingredients for risotto.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: Acanthopagrus on July 09, 2004, 08:40:22 am
and bone marrow, don't forget bone marrow, it gives a risotto an amazing creamy texture and marvelous meaty flavour.

eg http://www.e-rcps.com/pasta/rcp/ris/milan.shtml
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: palm trees on July 09, 2004, 12:17:45 pm
the only bad thing about ray's blog is that it kind of reminds me that often, ray is pathetic and not cool at all, which is kind of a shame.

also, HYMEN ON BOARD  :lol:
beef will freak



also also, note the beginnings of cross-referencing (pat & ray with the DMV, teodor and onstad with the risotto). this i like.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: CortJstr on July 09, 2004, 12:50:52 pm
Quote from: "palm trees"
also also, note the beginnings of cross-referencing (pat & ray with the DMV, teodor and onstad with the risotto). this i like.

That started day 1. IIRC both Lyle and Onstad mention a new rum or something on the first day. And both Philippe and Teodor mentioned him puking in his bed.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: Lane on July 09, 2004, 01:57:34 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "palm trees"
also also, note the beginnings of cross-referencing (pat & ray with the DMV, teodor and onstad with the risotto). this i like.

That started day 1. IIRC both Lyle and Onstad mention a new rum or something on the first day.


And IIRC, Onstad gave Ray a bottle of old pirate rum which Lyle then stole and drank.  It was best if read in the order the blogs were presented (note he made the timestamps appropriate as well) although now it seems like it doesn't matter what order you read the blogs in.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: wombat on July 09, 2004, 02:26:02 pm
One of the things that's wrong with my life is not living in a household where there are risotto wars.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: Golfhaus on July 10, 2004, 01:23:35 am
Hi folks. Been reading a while, first time posting.

Has anyone noticed that Lyle's blog reads like an easier-to-comprehend version of A Clockwork Orange? Especially with the violence, devil-may-care attitude, and general thuggery? The Lyle writing style kinda fits in with the way Orange was written, too. Especially the "crappy sony sport radio" entry, where he "give(s) it to him real memorable, two or five across the face and bloody lips."

Just wondering.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: wombat on July 10, 2004, 10:19:55 am
The bastards, they all went over to Ray's house without Philippe.  How could they?
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: palm trees on July 10, 2004, 03:36:48 pm
Quote from: "Lane"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "palm trees"
also also, note the beginnings of cross-referencing (pat & ray with the DMV, teodor and onstad with the risotto). this i like.

That started day 1. IIRC both Lyle and Onstad mention a new rum or something on the first day.


And IIRC, Onstad gave Ray a bottle of old pirate rum which Lyle then stole and drank.  It was best if read in the order the blogs were presented (note he made the timestamps appropriate as well) although now it seems like it doesn't matter what order you read the blogs in.


ach, right you both are. it's probably because i only really payed attention to the ray/pat thing, because it made me laugh really hard.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: Gimpson on July 10, 2004, 11:27:21 pm
I think I like Pat's blog so much just because he's been in the strip so infrequently these days.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: V-Adore on July 11, 2004, 08:10:04 am
Quote from: "Gimpson"
I think I like Pat's blog so much just because he's been in the strip so infrequently these days.

I sort of like Lyle's for the same reason. It's nice to see their own weird little psychodramas (Pat being uptight about Kleenex vs. Lyle getting fired and stabbing his ex-boss with his ex-boss's keys) -- stuff that won't go in the strip, and probably shouldn't, but is fun nonetheless. (That, and friends of mine and I were recently discussing Steel Reserve, Worst Malt Liquor Ever; it' is heartening to see that Lyle drinks it.)

I like Philippe's because it reaffirms Philippe's existence outside of the Presidential-campaign plot, and I like that. I hope his heart isn't broken by Lyle and Stan.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: palm trees on July 11, 2004, 02:56:49 pm
R I S O T T O

i have never laughed so hard or actually banged my fist on the desk while reading achewood. Total Risotto Beat-Down. it nearly made me haemorrhage.
I spray him with seltzer water and let him draw his own conclusions.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: slink on July 11, 2004, 04:48:17 pm
OK, so Teodor's Iron Chef Risotto post was superb and all, but having read Ray's, an then Mr Bear's...
I laughed out loud at the behind the back comment. I am fuck*ng loving these blogs.

Apologies if I throw down spelling fuckups constantly, my brain is kind of addled after... well, that W word that musicians aren't supposed to say or do.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: Bozack on July 11, 2004, 08:47:41 pm
God, amazingly hilarious. The risotto sub-plot is maybe the best thing ever.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: V-Adore on July 11, 2004, 08:56:47 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
God, amazingly hilarious. The risotto sub-plot is maybe the best thing ever.

It's ranging on it, yes. I especially love Chris's profound ambivalence about the risotto -- he doesn't want to prove Teodor right by eating it, but it's just so good...

Now I'm wondering if you can actually make breakfast risotto.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: slink on July 11, 2004, 09:44:09 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"

Now I'm wondering if you can actually make breakfast risotto.


Not so different to rice pudding...
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: sailor on July 11, 2004, 10:24:00 pm
Quote from: "sailor"
I'm getting the feeling that Stad's all "What the HELL am I going to do about my WEB COMIC?!"

I think he should take a vacation, run a guest week in which all loose threads are tied up, and start anew. Cos right now he's all a giraffe floppin' on the bottom of the boat.


I am taking this all back. The blogs is sweetness. The blogs is my weakness.
When I haven't been drinking, i am Pat-ish. After happy hour, Ray-like. After closing time, Lyle-esqe. And what's up with Molly gettin' a blog but not Todd?! Yeah, yeah, he can't do the reading thing, but maybe he could dictate to Chris. or something.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: side_show on July 12, 2004, 04:11:25 pm
At first, I thought Chris' blog was going to be just about what he ate, and the way he subtle began the shift into the Achewood world was just great.  Do you all think he actually eats this well, has that many cookbooks, etc.?  If he does eat this well, where the hell does he get the time?  Achewood is such a foodies' comic, and 'Stad has some indepth knowledge of the culinary arts!  There's no other strip that inspires me in the kichen.  I love Chris' post about Teodor sneaking into his room with risotto, and how this ties into Phillipe's post stessing over the lost flashlight.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: jough on July 12, 2004, 06:41:41 pm
Where does he get the time?

Seriously?
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: jay-ell on July 12, 2004, 07:15:22 pm
I can't read Cornelius' blog.  Just can't.  Don't know why -- too Bronte-esque, I suppose.  

Sorry.  I feel less than cultured now.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: ferocious j on July 12, 2004, 08:28:17 pm
I love how Ray's first thoughts as to the improvement of his pool game may lie with the table/room and not, you know, in the fact that he apparently can't stop trying that "behind-the-back" shot.

And who knew Mr. Bear was such a good pool player, anyway?  Damn!

I agree with everyone thus far who's said the Teodor/Onstad Risotto War is the best thing ever.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: wombat on July 12, 2004, 08:40:00 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
I can't read Cornelius' blog.  Just can't.  Don't know why -- too Bronte-esque, I suppose.  



Me too.  I can only skim it or my head hurts.  But I guess it's perfect, then.  He would write in exactly that way.

At the other extreme, I can hardly read Lyle's either.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: jay-ell on July 12, 2004, 08:45:15 pm
I have no trouble with Lyle's.  

The internet has broken me.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: V-Adore on July 12, 2004, 09:18:43 pm
I can get through Mr. Bear's, but yes, the fact that I not only read Lyle's blog but have people on my LJ friendslist/stalkeelist/blogroll/whatever who write at a comparable level (albeit not with comparable adventures) troubles me deeply.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: St_Zartan on July 12, 2004, 09:52:24 pm
THERE IS NOW A LINK FOR A NICE PETE BLOG (http://peterhcropes.blogspot.com/)[/url]

I've been loving the blogs, really, but this could be oh-so-good. Even if there's nothing there at the moment. Ahem.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: V-Adore on July 12, 2004, 10:46:27 pm
Well, at least now we know his full name.

Redundantly.

I wonder what the H. stands for?
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: wombat on July 13, 2004, 12:32:53 am
The risotto war continues to make my pathetic life bearable.  Truly it is a grand time to be alive and have internet access.

I fear Nice Pete's blog.  There are some things we were not meant to know.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: Mantonio on July 13, 2004, 01:27:52 am
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
THERE IS NOW A LINK FOR A NICE PETE BLOG (http://peterhcropes.blogspot.com/)[/url]

I've been loving the blogs, really, but this could be oh-so-good. Even if there's nothing there at the moment. Ahem.


Weird.  I just woke up from a nap wherin I had a dream 'stad added a bunch of new blogs.  I don't remember if Nice Pete's was one of them, but I'm pretty sure each r080t got one.  It's weird to have one of your dreams kinda sorta halfway come true.  It's like being the Achewood Oracle.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: Reverend Sam on July 13, 2004, 04:03:41 am
the comic is now a supplement to the awesomeness that is the blogs

the age of the drawn achewood is at an end
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: sailor on July 13, 2004, 10:19:02 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
I can't read Cornelius' blog. Just can't. Don't know why -- too Bronte-esque, I suppose..


Ditto. But i think that reflects his true tight-ass spirit. There is no way Mr. Bear would write a blog that anyone would want to read.

and JL, that baby countdowner thingy? i'm all temped to use it like a slider and be all "pregnant.......not so pregnant......about to explode......concieved last night..."
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: Formica on July 13, 2004, 10:49:50 pm
Quote from: "sailor"
Quote from: "jldunston"
I can't read Cornelius' blog. Just can't. Don't know why -- too Bronte-esque, I suppose..


Ditto. But i think that reflects his true tight-ass spirit. There is no way Mr. Bear would write a blog that anyone would want to read.

I guess I'm some sort of mutant. I think I dig Mr. Bear's blog more than the rest. Of course, Nice Pete's has yet to go up, so we'll see.

Reading about Cornelius humiliating Ray night after night without being a complete dick about it is uttery amusing.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: Mantonio on July 14, 2004, 12:29:31 am
Quote from: "Formica"
Quote from: "sailor"
Quote from: "jldunston"
I can't read Cornelius' blog. Just can't. Don't know why -- too Bronte-esque, I suppose..


Ditto. But i think that reflects his true tight-ass spirit. There is no way Mr. Bear would write a blog that anyone would want to read.

I guess I'm some sort of mutant. I think I dig Mr. Bear's blog more than the rest. Of course, Nice Pete's has yet to go up, so we'll see.

Reading about Cornelius humiliating Ray night after night without being a complete dick about it is uttery amusing.


If my grandpa had a blog, it would probably be a lot like Mr. Bear's, and I mean that in a good way.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: AugustWest on July 14, 2004, 03:21:18 am
I find Mr. Bear's erudition exceedingly charming.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: V-Adore on July 14, 2004, 04:33:13 am
What I like about the latest arc is getting to see both Mr. Bear's and Ray's reactions from their POV. Mr. Bear isn't overproud, just pleased with Ray's total inability to learn -- and Ray, as predicted, absolutely refuses to eat crow.

I confess that I am inordinately fond of Ray sometimes being hoisted on his own petard. It's a pleasant reminder that nobody in this universe is infallible.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 14, 2004, 11:49:31 am
Quote from: "wombat"
The risotto war continues to make my pathetic life bearable.  Truly it is a grand time to be alive and have internet access.

I fear Nice Pete's blog.  There are some things we were not meant to know.


Apparently there's a picture of vomit. Are we supposed to know?
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: Formica on July 14, 2004, 04:07:00 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
Nice Pete's initial blog entry both far exceeded and greatly underwhelmed my expectations.

Dude's set some kinda tone.

Given that Onstad lives in the same region as myself, I find myself morbidly intrigued as to whether I can identify which corner has been puked in.

Of course, that assumes he didn't just google for a picture of vomit. Let's see...

GIS for vomit (http://images.google.com/images?q=vomit&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search)

Hmmmm. Nope. I believe it is not unreasonable to assume 'stad took the picture himself.

For some reason I am reminded of one of the lesser-used stairwells at downtown Berkeley BART - "the auxilliary urinals" as the local transients seem to think of them. I can't remember if the floor has any cross-hatched metal, though.

There's still a large vomit-star drying in the middle of the Lafayette BART platform too. Maybe I'll take a picture and send it to him.

I'll bet he took this while he was visiting with Freezepop. (http://www.freezepop.net/pix/0612.html)

I will now stop analyzing a picture of vomit.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: side_show on July 14, 2004, 05:09:12 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Well, at least now we know his full name.

Redundantly.

I wonder what the H. stands for?


The "H" is for Homicide.  Or possibly Hank.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: jay-ell on July 14, 2004, 05:16:31 pm
Hello, breakfast!  

Eeew.  

I wonder if Nice Pete's blog will be all pictoral?  

I wonder if that's Lyle's vomit?
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: jough on July 14, 2004, 05:51:53 pm
Man, Onstad is ON FIRE.

I cannot keep up with *reading* all of these daily blogs.

Maybe the book deal has given him some new form of energy.  Or at least the advance given him the means to get better drugs.

I expect that it'll fade off after awhile, but this is just insane. The man's output over the past two weeks is... intimidating.

I wonder if he writes them all himself or has help?
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: sailor on July 14, 2004, 10:33:47 pm
Quote from: "jough"

I wonder if he writes them all himself or has help?


"If you gave a million monkeys a million bottles of JD and a million G4's..."
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: Limmo on July 14, 2004, 11:22:33 pm
"It's so cute the way a dog is." Well, at least we know it ain't his vomit. Or Lyle's.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: Choop on July 15, 2004, 01:59:10 am
So where the fuck is Teodor?
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: Ben-San on July 15, 2004, 07:07:18 am
If we knew what Teodor was doing it would undermine the sense of dread and paranoia in Chris's journal.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: AugustWest on July 15, 2004, 06:47:31 pm
Quote from: "Molly"
Things are still tense, I can tell we're both brooding over this now-unmentionable issue. He knows it's still on my mind, he's not stupid.


Ah Molly, how female of you.  Beef forgot about this conversation 30 seconds after it was over.

I wonder when the characters will realize that they can read each other's blogs.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 15, 2004, 07:31:10 pm
Yeah, where's their blogrolls?  It would be interesting to see what non-Achewood blogs they'd link to.

I bet Lyle would link to the Anti-Idiotarian Rotweiler, and Mr. Bear to Crooked Timber.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: CortJstr on July 15, 2004, 08:28:36 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
I wonder when the characters will realize that they can read each other's blogs.
But that of course would shatter the universe as we know it.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: Ben-San on July 15, 2004, 09:45:14 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Molly"
Things are still tense, I can tell we're both brooding over this now-unmentionable issue. He knows it's still on my mind, he's not stupid.


Ah Molly, how female of you.  Beef forgot about this conversation 30 seconds after it was over.


I don't get the feeling that Roast Beef easily forgets about conversations like this. He's probably replaying it in his head and figuring out twelve different ways he could have said it that would not have shown him to be a horrible person and waste of oxygen DAMMIT why did he have to be all like that but too late now I guess.

That's how I see it, anyway.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: V-Adore on July 15, 2004, 09:56:05 pm
Quote from: "Ben-San"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Molly"
Things are still tense, I can tell we're both brooding over this now-unmentionable issue. He knows it's still on my mind, he's not stupid.


Ah Molly, how female of you.  Beef forgot about this conversation 30 seconds after it was over.


I don't get the feeling that Roast Beef easily forgets about conversations like this. He's probably replaying it in his head and figuring out twelve different ways he could have said it that would not have shown him to be a horrible person and waste of oxygen DAMMIT why did he have to be all like that but too late now I guess.

That's how I see it, anyway.

If I know anything about this type, he will hold onto this conversation a lot longer than Molly will. He will spontaneously apologize about a week later, complete with lots of ranting about how he is basically not worth human (well, feline) contact, and Molly will forgive him without really becoming any less concerned.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 17, 2004, 04:33:50 pm
The Risotto war continues unabated! -- and now, a little bit of eerie coincidence.

Last night, I invited my girlfriend and best friend over for dinner. As they all enjoy Achewood, I thought I'd go on a lark and make -- you guessed it! -- risotto. And so, the most brilliant risotto I have ever made was created; in fact, I am munching on the leftovers now.

After dinner, we popped in a DVD and watched: The Triplets of Belleville.

Unsurprisingly, after reading Onstad's latest blog I have decided to monitor my house for hidden cameras.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: wombat on July 17, 2004, 07:00:46 pm
Molly is mentioning Teodor too often in her blog.  I think we should be worried.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: V-Adore on July 17, 2004, 09:58:25 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
Molly is mentioning Teodor too often in her blog.  I think we should be worried.

Man, you know, I'm of two minds about this. On one hand, I want Molly and Beef to stay together; I'd desperately like to see Beef actually have some happiness in his life for a while.

On the other hand, Teodor deserves some groovy love in his life after the Penny Incident. So.. yeah.

Incidentally, Nice Pete's blog remains pleasantly oblique. (Aside from the vomit part.)
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: Gimpson on July 17, 2004, 10:48:57 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Incidentally, Nice Pete's blog remains pleasantly oblique. (Aside from the vomit part.)


I don't know...  I find going out tomorrow a bit off-putting coming from Pete.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: V-Adore on July 17, 2004, 11:09:25 pm
Quote from: "Gimpson"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Incidentally, Nice Pete's blog remains pleasantly oblique. (Aside from the vomit part.)


I don't know...  I find going out tomorrow a bit off-putting coming from Pete.

Well, that's exactly my point. By "pleasantly oblique," I mean "just indirect enough to be unsettling without actually involving grotesque descriptions of victims."
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: AugustWest on July 19, 2004, 02:04:30 am
Mr. Bear's was great today.  The description of the "Krazy Pool" jape had me rolling.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: Acanthopagrus on July 19, 2004, 07:55:03 am
What on earth is LN on about?

Is he saying that Ray has no idea what is in his fridge?
What does "his glass on me droppin the hoolie down into the depressions so I got no choice but to make with that shit" mean??

I am lost.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: AugustWest on July 19, 2004, 01:41:00 pm
LN = Charley?

I think he is saying that he can raid Ray's refrigerator with impunity.  Of course, Ray, being the generous cat that he is, would no doubt welcome Charley to the bounty of his larder.  But LN gets off on thinking he's getting away with something.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 19, 2004, 04:00:32 pm
"Krazy-Pool!" (http://corneliusbear.blogspot.com/2004/07/dirty-pool.html)  Best entry ever.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: CortJstr on July 19, 2004, 04:32:50 pm
I'm wondering if "stowin the doublewide with fizz" means LN is stealing beers. Which is worth bragging about at his age. Because who is all proud about stealing lunch meat outside of Married w/ Children characters?

I'm also learning more about Ray's personality. Apparently he's fine telling us about passing out drunk but he's stopped talking about his mad losses at pool. He didn't even brag about the new google set-up.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: Formica on July 19, 2004, 05:10:06 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I'm also learning more about Ray's personality. Apparently he's fine telling us about passing out drunk but he's stopped talking about his mad losses at pool. He didn't even brag about the new google set-up.


While I am, in fact, a huge fan of risotto, I must say I find the entire Cornelius and Ray pool blogplot to be much more entertaining than Teodor stalking 'stad with arborio. Mr. Bear's reserved amusement, combined with his unfettered conviction in the righteousness of his winnings, is just smashing, really.

Or maybe I'm just happy to see Ray getting taken down a couple notches.
[/list][/code]
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: Gimpson on July 19, 2004, 06:15:06 pm
Quote from: "Formica"
Or maybe I'm just happy to see Ray getting taken down a couple notches.


I was happy to see Ray get whomped on for a while, but today's "passed out at the baby shower" entry kind of makes me sad.  Very sad, in fact.  

Apparently Ray believes that it is rad to have alcoholism.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: CortJstr on July 19, 2004, 07:23:31 pm
Quote from: "Gimpson"
Apparently Ray believes that it is rad to have alcoholism.

Only if your dad owns a dealership (http://forums.televisionwithoutpity.com/index.php?showtopic=3113503&view=getnewpost). Or you are Mr. Pinstrip Suit (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00000DFDK/qid=1090264976/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i2_xgl15/102-0893067-0513732?v=glance&s=music&n=507846).
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: V-Adore on July 19, 2004, 10:59:35 pm
I feel slightly sad that we now know LN's name. And that it's "Charley."

I wonder where Ray's brother is for all of this?

And yes, the shower story is pretty sad. It's very typically Ray, though.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: CortJstr on July 19, 2004, 11:55:11 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I feel slightly sad that we now know LN's name. And that it's "Charley."

I wonder where Ray's brother is for all of this?

He ran off with Donald Duck's brother.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: AugustWest on July 20, 2004, 01:02:39 am
I'm all ready to get CJ'ed on this, but how do we know that LN is Ray's brother's son?  Couldn't Ray have a sister who had kittens?
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: CortJstr on July 20, 2004, 01:04:18 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
I'm all ready to get CJ'ed on this, but how do we know that LN is Ray's brother's son?  Couldn't Ray have a sister who had kittens?

We don't know. We're just being lazy and using the male terms instead of saying "sibling"
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: sailor on July 20, 2004, 01:12:25 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "wombat"
Molly is mentioning Teodor too often in her blog.  I think we should be worried.

Man, you know, I'm of two minds about this. On one hand, I want Molly and Beef to stay together; I'd desperately like to see Beef actually have some happiness in his life for a while.



I was thinkin' the same thing. It's a classic storyline that 'stad has yet to achewoodize. But I think Teodor best keep his hands to himself unless the fact that he will never be able to use any kind of computer network ever again doesn't bother him.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: V-Adore on July 20, 2004, 04:12:15 am
I had assumed that the Smuckles last name implied that it was Ray's brother's kid. However, it's entirely possible Ray's sister managed to get all up in the family way without getting married. Or cats are matriarchal. Or whatever.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: CortJstr on July 20, 2004, 01:09:14 pm
Dang Pat can be a scary guy sometimes. Next he'll be complaining about cashiers whose noses are disturbingly large or whose accents offend him.

Philippe's post (http://philippesblog.blogspot.com/2004/07/painting-of-me.html) is now way the saddest thing.

For some reason when I read LN's blog in my RSS reader it only shows the first couple lines. Weird.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: JorgeFabregas on July 20, 2004, 03:06:01 pm
Yes, Pat has reached new and highly certified levels of assholedom.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: sailor on July 20, 2004, 03:30:11 pm
Man, that painting is up to a sweet $380, and all it's gonna do is keep going up, and all Phillipe is gonna get out of it is a damn candy bar?

That is just wrong, dudes.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: jough on July 20, 2004, 07:07:38 pm
You know, I may have busted the 'stad's bozack in the past about him being a lazy shite, but I gotta say that I cannot even keep up with READING these blogs.  I do not have that much time, and when I did read them they weren't compelling enough to draw me away from what other things I need/want to do.

But damn, either he's getting help writing them, or else he has taken some Super Happy Pill and is just getting his freak on the content production courtesy of his new book deal.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 20, 2004, 08:22:44 pm
Set yourself up at Bloglines, that makes it WAY easier to keep up with them.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: AugustWest on July 20, 2004, 08:28:41 pm
Use the RSS feeds.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: CortJstr on July 20, 2004, 09:04:09 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Use the RSS feeds.

Agreed (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?p=21937#21937).
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: ferocious j on July 20, 2004, 10:32:01 pm
I just have the blogs bookmarked in their own folder in Firefox, and open them all simultaneously in tabs.  That way, even if there's no new content, I can still look at the old entries and laugh.
Title: Teodor's return
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 21, 2004, 02:22:40 am
Looks like we have amusing dramatic irony vis-a-vis the Risotto War.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: CortJstr on July 21, 2004, 01:04:36 pm
Quote from: "Molly"
As pathetic as Ray seems sometimes, it sure is handy to live near him.

Molly wins! Molly wins! Molly wins!
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: doomglobe on July 21, 2004, 06:38:53 pm
That is the creepiest thing I have ever seen on the internet. It is like Onstad hired a real crazy serial killer/sex offender/crazy dude to make a blog, thinking he would cut himself on the internet or something, but the guy just did THAT instead. MAN. I am freaked.



VADORE THIS THREAD IS fuck*ng HUGE AND I CANT NAVIGATE THROUGH IT AT ALL AND YOUR MODDING IS JUST COMPRESSING ALL COMMENTS INTO IT AND MAKING IT WORSE.
Title: Re: Teodor's return
Post by: slink on July 21, 2004, 06:49:28 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Looks like we have amusing dramatic irony vis-a-vis the Risotto War.


Superb!
I adore the way the blogs interlink in such ways.
My brother had only been reading a couple of the blogs until I signed off in an email with R.I.S.O.T.T.O.
Much to his utter confusion...
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: V-Adore on July 21, 2004, 07:53:12 pm
All I really have to say about the Risotto denouement is:

CLASSY.

Go, Onstad.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: Ben-San on July 21, 2004, 09:06:35 pm
So did Téodor set this up with Philippe two days before leaving with his trip and Philippe didn't think to mention to him that he can't make risotto during that time? The first R I S O T T O message was July 10, while Téodor's apparent departure was July 12 (the 11th was the botched coup de grace, while the 12th was "No sign of Téodor today" in Chris' blog.)
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: doomglobe on July 21, 2004, 09:29:14 pm
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
Amen on Teodor, Slink.  Man, I wish I had a living teddy bear who cooked me gourmet dinners every night.


man I totally DO have a living teddybear who cooks most of my meals. an alive stuffed animal generally has alot of spare time on it's hands, and most of them will take their interests to the next level. This is not an uncommon thing. Mine, however, generally falls back on honey and caramel based foods. I would LOVE a nice risotto. Next time it is my turn to cook I will make some nice, thick risotto with a gorgonzola mushroom sauce.


THAT IS A REALLY INTERESTING THING YOU HAD TO SAY, CARLOS, TOO BAD I HAD TO LOAD 6 PAGES OF INTERNET TO FIND IT BECAUSE OF VADORE.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: V-Adore on July 21, 2004, 09:57:15 pm
Quote from: "doomglobe"
THAT IS A REALLY INTERESTING THING YOU HAD TO SAY, CARLOS, TOO BAD I HAD TO LOAD 6 PAGES OF INTERNET TO FIND IT BECAUSE OF VADORE.

Oh, for fuck's sake, dude. The threads may get split -- it's looking like it now, actually -- but in the meantime, cope.

Have some dignity, dammit.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: jough on July 21, 2004, 10:08:47 pm
Quote from: "Formica"

GIS for vomit (http://images.google.com/images?q=vomit&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search)

Hmmmm. Nope. I believe it is not unreasonable to assume 'stad took the picture himself.


Dude!  It's on the first page!

Here's the original:

http://www.filthymess.com/publictransport5.asp

That, of course, doesn't mean that Onstad didn't take the photo.  But somehow I doubt it.

Anyway, this changes nothing.

God, the Risotto Wars (which I believe is a term Wombat termed) are so good.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: Bozack on July 21, 2004, 10:50:10 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Have some dignity, dammit.


Seriously. Act like you got a pair, dude. Firefox has a "search on page" function if you don't want to read through stuff. V's obviously aware of the situation; let's keep it civil.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: AlohaDawg on July 22, 2004, 01:31:12 am
I'm using crap, and it loads right away. Maybe Doomglobe is old school, on a 2400 baud modem connected to dial telephone....

How's Compuserve working out for you there, Doomy? Overwhelming  your Timex Sinclair yet?
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: AugustWest on July 22, 2004, 04:16:33 am
Can't we all just get along?

Everybody please quit climbing Doom's ass.

Doomie G, have you any suggestions on how blog threads should be organized?  Let's all try to be constructive, nnnn-kay.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: doomglobe on July 22, 2004, 06:16:14 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"


Everybody please quit climbing Doom's ass.


its cool, I put rungs back there so it would be easy for people to climb.
(kind of like a slide at a polluted playground for demented children)

I am just saying that y'all should let people start new threads when they have something to say that isnt on topic in the current conversation. There are 11 blogs, and more things happening than the risotto wars. It would be impossible to come up with an organized way to discuss them, as the good conversation topics come up at irregular intervals and often involve more than one blog.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: jough on July 22, 2004, 07:27:49 am
Quote from: "jough"

God, the Risotto Wars (which I believe is a term Wombat termed) are so good.


No, I was wrong.  Onstad used it in his blog the day before Wombat used it here:

Quote from: "Chris Onstad in 'Awesome! A blog'"
When I walked in the door a few minutes ago, Téodor kicked me in the shin, shot me with seltzer, and threw a bag of liquid in my face. I see the risotto war has escalated into actual violence...if he tries that stunt again I'm going to boot him across the living room. I'm in no mood to have my mood ruined.


(My emphasis)

I feel somewhat scholarly in tracing the etymology of the term.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: CortJstr on July 22, 2004, 01:45:07 pm
Thoughts for the day:

I hope Ray's butler is half as entertaining as the one from NewsRadio

Pat's going to get thrown in jail again tomorrow.

Hearing Mr. Bear rationalize is kind of entertaining. It reminds me of Cheers, which as we all know, is basically like treasure.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: Formica on July 22, 2004, 11:06:40 pm
Quote from: "jough"


Dude!  It's on the first page!

Here's the original:

http://www.filthymess.com/publictransport5.asp

That, of course, doesn't mean that Onstad didn't take the photo.  But somehow I doubt it.


With "Bob" as my witness, it wasn't when I did the search initially, though it certainly is now.

In fact, when I initially clicked my link in your quote, it brought up the cached page and it still wasn't there.

Thus, we can assume that, given the way PageRank works, Nice Pete was responsible for increasing the popularity of that image enough to move it up that far. Impressive.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: jough on July 23, 2004, 03:02:48 am
Well, since Onstad is hotlinking the image, rather than copying it to his blogspot account, then yes, it's possible the onslaught of people viewing the Nice Pete blog could have raised its pagerank.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: CortJstr on July 23, 2004, 01:13:03 pm
It's funny because Pat almost died. Hee hee.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: side_show on July 23, 2004, 03:29:18 pm
I know we've got V-adore working on a solution, but I gave up on reading this thread after about page 3.  So, I'm sorry if I'm repeating what someone else may have already said here.  A quick scan of posts didn't seem to cover this, so here goes:

Isn't anyone else bothered by the fact that Little Nephew's blog is all in ebonics?  Isn't he supposed to be goth now?  Perhaps I'm just way too entertained by goth-mockery, but I'm a little disapointed with LN's Blog.

In other news, Chris Onstad's obvious crack addiction and terminal insomnia has yielded great results!  

The only way I can imagine that he can handle all these blogs is either a) the theory above or b) these blogs are actually the result of months of prewritten work that are being posted as if in real time.  While some of them bore me, and I can't be bothered to read them, those that I do read seem far too on the mark for proper characterization and style to be written by anyone but Onstad.  Then again, I know for a fact that V.C. Andrews has been dead for years, and there's like some sort of ghost writer/computer program that spits out books "of her style" that are basically just the same book over and over with names and locations changed.  

I'm still sceptical though.  I'm waiting for the whole blog thing to become irregular and half-hearted then eventually stop.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: Formica on July 23, 2004, 04:52:40 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
It's funny because Pat almost died. Hee hee.

How the heck did Pat get his ass kicked if he's been so dilligently engaging in total body fitness (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=06232004) and loading up on macrobiotic nutrients? (http://journeyintoreason.blogspot.com/2004/07/people-allow-worst-things-about.html) Or is this one of those things where all the weight training in the world won't prepare you for the fury of a pissed off Samoan mailman - excuse me, letter-carrier of Pacific Islander decent?
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: jough on July 23, 2004, 06:45:30 pm
See, I see it that he is a cat, and the mailman is NOT, and so the guy was really just beating up on a poor defenseless cat.

In any case, the blogs seem to have slowed down quite a bit.  So I don't know how much longer they'll go on.

There's still no resolution of the Risotto Wars - will they escalate?  Will he just let Teodor's and Chris's blog lay fallow for a week and then just have them start talking about something else, hoping that we forget all about risotto?
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: Formica on July 23, 2004, 06:57:39 pm
Quote from: "jough"
See, I see it that he is a cat, and the mailman is NOT, and so the guy was really just beating up on a poor defenseless cat.

In any case, the blogs seem to have slowed down quite a bit.  So I don't know how much longer they'll go on.

There's still no resolution of the Risotto Wars - will they escalate?  Will he just let Teodor's and Chris's blog lay fallow for a week and then just have them start talking about something else, hoping that we forget all about risotto?


I dunno. Any more risotto talk and I'm going to have to make it for dinner tonight.

Too late. Damnit.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 23, 2004, 07:53:08 pm
Quote from: "jough"
There's still no resolution of the Risotto Wars - will they escalate?  Will he just let Teodor's and Chris's blog lay fallow for a week and then just have them start talking about something else, hoping that we forget all about risotto?


I think it's been resolved.  Téodor has said he's over it (http://orezscu.blogspot.com/2004/07/visit-to-aunt-breznas.html), and Onstand has said his tension over the situation is greatly reduced (http://chrisonstad.blogspot.com/2004/07/i-wonder.html).

I kind of figured the blogs would drift away as well.  I'll be happy if he does, like, three posts a day (in total).

Pat is a DICK.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: CortJstr on July 23, 2004, 08:36:44 pm
Quote from: "Formica"
How the heck did Pat get his ass kicked if he's been so dilligently engaging in total body fitness (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=06232004) and loading up on macrobiotic nutrients? (http://journeyintoreason.blogspot.com/2004/07/people-allow-worst-things-about.html) Or is this one of those things where all the weight training in the world won't prepare you for the fury of a pissed off Samoan mailman - excuse me, letter-carrier of Pacific Islander decent?

If pro wrestling has taught us nothing else it's that all Samoans can kick-ass, are impervious to cranial damage, and the famous ones are all related. Clearly Pat didn't know this going in and thus had his ass handed to him.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: Choop on July 24, 2004, 05:35:00 am
Awww Snap! Teodor got a new girly-target since Penny! And it ain't Molly!

I'm really curious as to how 'Stad's gonna draw Moly, what with the new cut. It doesn't seem like she's long for Beef, but it doesn't seem to want to end just yet either.

Will Onstad find out it was Phillipe that kept leaving him R I S O T T O ? Tune in next time...
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: district on July 24, 2004, 09:58:36 am
does anyone see the lyle/molly thing either working out to some wierd friendship or her...LEAVING BEEF FOR LYLE?! Remember those gigantic condoms in her bathroom in heaven? Lyle has to be packing some heat under that beer gut.

Even if she doesn't leave beef for lyle, I can see them being friends and it making beef uncomfortable and they argue and things get wierd and then she leaves him for lyle.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that she is gonna hook up with lyle. Sorry it took so long.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: St_Zartan on July 27, 2004, 01:11:58 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Pat's going to get thrown in jail again tomorrow.


You called it, dude. In some weird way, though, I almost envy Pat his self-righteousness. Never a flicker of doubt with that cat (and I mean that in the beatnik sense rather than the zoological).
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: CortJstr on July 27, 2004, 04:11:03 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Pat's going to get thrown in jail again tomorrow.

You called it, dude. In some weird way, though, I almost envy Pat his self-righteousness. Never a flicker of doubt with that cat (and I mean that in the beatnik sense rather than the zoological).

Okay, I'm going to assume that it was just Pat the comic character who went to jail for shooting Beef while Pat the actual cat and inspiration for the character is not an escaped prisoner.

Quote from: "Pat"
I'm going to see if there isn't some sort of government grant that folks can use to live on while they're suing people full-time.

Only in America! </Don King>
Title: Achewood Character Blogs
Post by: St_Zartan on July 27, 2004, 05:18:06 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "Pat"
I'm going to see if there isn't some sort of government grant that folks can use to live on while they're suing people full-time.

Only in America! </Don King>


(http://www.asklesko.com/Images/grant.jpg)

Is Pat too proud to solicit the advice of this man? RIDDLE ME THAT