The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Flenker on July 02, 2004, 04:42:23 pm

Title: RIP Marlon Brando
Post by: Flenker on July 02, 2004, 04:42:23 pm
one of my favorite actors died.... A sad day. Time to watch Godfather 1 and 2, Last Tango in Paris, and On the Waterfront. Then time to go to the library for Apocalypse Now and A Streetcar Named Desire....

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Movies/07/02/obit.brando/index.html
Title: RIP Marlon Brando
Post by: sailor on July 02, 2004, 05:51:39 pm
The obit says "heart failure", which i hope means he was all runnin' around with a little kid, havin' a great time, and then the ole ticker just went and he just straight up fell down in the garden and died.
Title: RIP Marlon Brando
Post by: slink on July 02, 2004, 06:05:38 pm
Quote from: "sailor"
idea of it not being lonely


Let's hope, but...

Has to be said, I will raise a glass to the guy, but (and I don't want this to sound cold but it inevitably will) it's at least not like we lost him when he was still acting.
I saw The Score when I was in Holland, and while not a stunning film or anything, I did enjoy it and will own it on DVD for Oz's faux-European direction, which works beautifully in Montreal, but that's an aside - I do believe this was his last performance, and it was a good one all the same, despite it being post the quote 'acting was a neurotic mistake' or something like.

We'll miss you big guy.
Off to watch, erm, well, Raging Bull actually, but I may have to dig out Godfather later. If not then Apocalypse Now as it's at hand.
Title: RIP Marlon Brando
Post by: jough on July 02, 2004, 06:45:35 pm
It's funny, I finally bought the DVD of "On the Waterfront" last month and haven't watched it yet.

Tonight would be a good time.

-- Jough, pouring out half of his 40 for his fallen 'homey'
Title: RIP Marlon Brando
Post by: Flenker on July 02, 2004, 07:12:05 pm
I guess I didn't really need to put Godfather 2 on that list, as Brando is not actually in it...  But his character was, and it is a good damn movie.  

I'll add Superman and Guys and Dolls to the list too.  My roommates and I are discussing have a marathon when we all return after the holiday weekend.
Title: RIP Marlon Brando
Post by: V-Adore on July 02, 2004, 08:26:37 pm
Yeah, time to watch "On the Waterfront" and the Godfather flicks. Time to entirely forget "The Island of Dr. Moreau" ever existed.

Godspeed, Mr. Brando. You've earned your rest.
Title: RIP Marlon Brando
Post by: slink on July 02, 2004, 09:03:53 pm
I just smiled, in remembrance, as De Niro recited the section from On The Waterfront.

And V, thank you, couldn't have been put any better!
Title: RIP Marlon Brando
Post by: side_show on July 06, 2004, 07:57:00 pm
I just remember watching Streetcar when I was like 12 and totally crushing on Brando (not Stanley - Brando, big difference) and then later finding out that he was no longer young and sexy.
Title: RIP Marlon Brando
Post by: Bozack on July 06, 2004, 08:25:39 pm
Quote from: "side_show"
I just remember watching Streetcar when I was like 12 and totally crushing on Brando (not Stanley - Brando, big difference) and then later finding out that he was no longer young and sexy.

I did the same thing, only change "Streetcar" to "Beetlejuice" and "Brando" to "Winona" and then just take the word "sexy" out. Oh, and change the genders. That's all.
Title: RIP Marlon Brando
Post by: side_show on July 06, 2004, 09:17:43 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "side_show"
I just remember watching Streetcar when I was like 12 and totally crushing on Brando (not Stanley - Brando, big difference) and then later finding out that he was no longer young and sexy.

I did the same thing, only change "Streetcar" to "Beetlejuice" and "Brando" to "Winona" and then just take the word "sexy" out. Oh, and change the genders. That's all.


For more gender confusion: I had a brief, jealous, girl on girl crush on Winona Ryder when I found out she was dating Johnny Depp. Depp was so sexy that I guess some of it rubbed off on her.