The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: Choop on July 07, 2004, 02:13:17 am

Title: Favorite Cheese
Post by: Choop on July 07, 2004, 02:13:17 am
For eating or for cooking. Any other uses of cheese are immoral, should be stopped, and will be reported to the Dept. O' Homeland Security.
Title: Favorite Cheese
Post by: St_Zartan on July 07, 2004, 02:42:59 am
I love all cheeses much in the same way velvet-throated R&B / Soul musicians love all women, regardless of appearance, flavor, or bouquet.

If I had to pick a favorite, though, one that, left unchecked, I could theoretically ate until I entered a coma due to over-consumption, that favorite is Pepper Jack.

Does this make me a Philistine or just reflect my Life Experience and / or budget?
Title: Favorite Cheese
Post by: CortJstr on July 07, 2004, 02:48:32 am
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
If I had to pick a favorite, though, one that, left unchecked, I could theoretically ate until I entered a coma due to over-consumption, that favorite is Pepper Jack.

Whole Foods carries a dandy Habeņero Jack. It's wonderous.

My problem is that I hate swiss and all forms of swissiness which rules out a lot of cheeses.
Title: Favorite Cheese
Post by: V-Adore on July 07, 2004, 03:12:19 am
I'm sorry, Cheddar.

I know -- I'm a philistine...
Title: Favorite Cheese
Post by: jough on July 07, 2004, 03:22:28 am
I picked Feta because I LOVE it on top of a tuna salad, and also because I figure it will get nonetoomuch love.
Title: Favorite Cheese
Post by: Limmo on July 07, 2004, 03:26:37 am
I love all kinds of cheese, but a nice blue or gorgonzola is a thing of beauty forever, or at least for a day and a half.  Just found a blue / Brie hybrid called Montbriac that is the quote-unquote bomb, especially with poached kumquats and pears.  Mmmm.
Title: Favorite Cheese
Post by: slink on July 07, 2004, 06:19:38 am
Oh man.
That's like choosing a favourite album.

While Parmeggiano is a definite possible (as the parmeggiano from Valvona and Crolla in Edinburgh is just fuck*ng incredible!), brie is just awesome. I don't do blue cheese, as I hate it when the mould is disturbed and the dust falls on my tongue (uuuugh) although with honey it subdues the effect.
But Brie, goddamn... It was just made for bacon, let alone everything else!
Title: Favorite Cheese
Post by: jough on July 07, 2004, 06:26:45 am
I must say that I have an intense interest in sharp prov.  I like it on sandwiches, by itself, on top of a naked woman... you name it.  I just love the stuff.

Regular provolone, not so great.  But sharp prov is the shee-yacht.
Title: Favorite Cheese
Post by: AlohaDawg on July 07, 2004, 06:44:36 am
It's hard to pick a general favorite cheese - that's like picking a favorite tool...they are good for different things.

In general, I like the moldy cheeses - blue cheese, gorgonzola, etc. Nice bite, creaminess, that odd fermented aftertaste. Yummy.

One of the things I remember most about my trip to the UK forever ago was the 'ploughmans lunch'. Bad news if you don't like cheese, but it was good. Stilton. Yummy.
Title: Favorite Cheese
Post by: Choop on July 07, 2004, 12:00:34 pm
I'm just glad that my hoss is still in that race over there.

Also, P.S. to Necktie: Where's That Bird?
Title: Favorite Cheese
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 07, 2004, 12:42:00 pm
I loves me some asiago.

Any time you're in Philly, you must go here (http://www.phillyitalianmarket.com/market/dibruno_cheese/).
Title: Favorite Cheese
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 07, 2004, 12:42:51 pm
Sorry for the double post, but:  moose cheese moose cheese moose cheese moose cheese (http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/europe/06/23/sweden.moosecheese.ap/index.html).
Title: Favorite Cheese
Post by: arkabee on July 07, 2004, 01:44:56 pm
i like mozeralla.

i sometimes like other, "normal", cheeses such as cheddar and provolone, but often times they make me sick.

i can not stand cheeseburger cheese.

if it is pizza or a taco maybe it can have cheese on it, but else maybe no cheese ok?

is that ok?

can u have a HAMBURGER?  HELLO?

OUR LANGUAGE HAS A WORD _DEDICATED_ TO THE CONCEPT AND IDEAL OF A CHEESEBURGER WITHOUT CHEESE!  ONE COULD POSSIBLY HYPOTHESIZE THAT IT CAME FIRST, AND THE CHEESEBURGER IS A CONCEPT BASED UPON THAT IDEAL.

I WANT A HAMBURGER YOU BASTARD, I DO NOT WANT A CHEESEBURGER!  I DO NOT WANT A HAMBURGER WITH CHEESE!  YOU MAKE ME FEEL DIRTY AND LESS HUMAN FOR HAVING TO ORDER A CHEESEBURGER WITHOUT CHEESE!!

but,
um,

ya, i like mozeralla.  it usually doesn't make me sick.
Title: Favorite Cheese
Post by: AugustWest on July 07, 2004, 02:05:29 pm
Red Leicester?
Tilsit?
Caerphilly?
Bel Paese?
Red Windsor?
Stilton?
Emmanthaler?
Gruyere?
Norwegian Jarlsberg?
Lipta?
Lancashire?
White Stilton?
Danish Brew?
Double Gloucester?
Chesire?
Dorset Bluveny?
Brie, Roquefort, Pol le Veq, Port Salut, Savoy Aire, Saint Paulin, Carrier
   de lest, Bres Bleu, Bruson?
Camembert?
Gouda?
Edam?
Case Ness?
Smoked Austrian?
Japanese Sage Darby?
Wenesleydale?
Greek Feta?
Gorgonzola?
Parmesan?
Mozzerella?
Paper Cramer?
Danish Bimbo?
Czech Sheep's Milk?
Venezuelan Beaver Cheese?
Cheddar?
Illchester?
Limburger?
Title: Favorite Cheese
Post by: side_show on July 07, 2004, 02:27:18 pm
I voted swiss, but I'm a lover of all cheeses.  Love a nice soft blue, like Montery Jack, Brie, and a big on a nice, cardiac arresting plate o' poutine with nice melty curds.

I will be heading out in an hour to the store to pick up some buns and cheese for the Bison Burgers I'll be making for my SO and I for lunch.(sorry Arkabee, just breath and you'll be okay).

Any Suggestions?
Title: Favorite Cheese
Post by: wombat on July 07, 2004, 04:09:49 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I must say that I have an intense interest in sharp prov.  I like it on sandwiches, by itself, on top of a naked woman... you name it.  I just love the stuff.



Curse you, Jough, now my favorite sharp provolone, nostalgic cheese of my Italian childhood, is ruined forever.
Title: Favorite Cheese
Post by: Choop on July 07, 2004, 05:17:50 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
a whole long list o' cheeses


Yeah, I had about thirty poll options because it doesn't limit how many you can add, just how many you can post. Dur! The fact that the "Add Option" button submits to the server and doesn't check to see whether the limit is already met just Steams My Britches. Usability, people! Usability!

Most of those I deleted to make it fit were in your list, though; however, specifying Norwegian Jarlsberg and Greek Feta when Jarlsberg and Feta made it to the damn poll is, oh, an exercise in picking nits, perhaps?
Title: Favorite Cheese
Post by: AugustWest on July 07, 2004, 05:36:37 pm
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
a whole long list o' cheeses


Yeah, I had about thirty poll options because it doesn't limit how many you can add, just how many you can post. Dur! The fact that the "Add Option" button submits to the server and doesn't check to see whether the limit is already met just Steams My Britches. Usability, people! Usability!

Most of those I deleted to make it fit were in your list, though; however, specifying Norwegian Jarlsberg and Greek Feta when Jarlsberg and Feta made it to the damn poll is, oh, an exercise in picking nits, perhaps?


What a senseless waste of human life. (http://bau2.uibk.ac.at/sg/python/Scripts/TheCheeseShopSketch)
Title: Favorite Cheese
Post by: Choop on July 07, 2004, 06:03:54 pm
Dayum! I'm just all sorts of not-picking-up-on-things lately...


Good thing I quit smoking pot, then. Apparently I've lost enough brain cells already.
Title: Favorite Cheese
Post by: wombat on July 07, 2004, 07:48:12 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"


What a senseless waste of human life. (http://bau2.uibk.ac.at/sg/python/Scripts/TheCheeseShopSketch)


Don't feel unappreciated or anything, I got it, I just couldn't think of a clever reply in time...  I suppose it was my foolish mistake to think that just another "I love AugustWest" post was uncalled for.
Title: Favorite Cheese
Post by: AugustWest on July 07, 2004, 09:46:40 pm
I wasn't trying to be caustic, that's just the last line of the sketch.

Quote from: "Pearlie Baker"
I suppose it was my foolish mistake to think that just another "I love AugustWest" post was uncalled for.


You can never have too many "I love AugustWest" posts.
Title: Favorite Cheese
Post by: wombat on July 07, 2004, 09:57:37 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
I wasn't trying to be caustic, that's just the last line of the sketch.



I know!  I know! But I don't know who Pearlie Baker is!  Oh, now August is thinking we are all too dumb to get his jokes and he's going to leave us for another messageboard!
Title: Favorite Cheese
Post by: V-Adore on July 07, 2004, 10:32:15 pm
Is there actually such a thing as "Venezuelan Beaver Cheese?"

If so, does it actually involve... you know... beaver milk?

And where do they sell these sorts of things, anyway?

oh god I am too stupid for this messageboard
Title: Favorite Cheese
Post by: linnea on July 07, 2004, 10:49:30 pm
Oh, God. Cheese is definitely one of my most favorite foods.

My all-time, hands-down, best-cheese-award goes to... GOUDA!

Goat gouda particularly. Gah... it is just perfection in dense dairy form.

Second place goes to.... SMOKED CHEDDAR! Flavor Burgers just wouldn't be the same without you, baby.

And the bronze medal is awarded to... ASIAGO! You make ciabatta worth living for.

Thank you, cheese, for being such an awesome food product. <3 <3 <3
Title: Favorite Cheese
Post by: Choop on July 07, 2004, 11:58:07 pm
Can I just go ahead and applaud you all for choosing neither "I Hate Cheese..." nor "American?"

Thanks.

Thanks.
Title: Favorite Cheese
Post by: AugustWest on July 08, 2004, 02:01:34 am
Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
I wasn't trying to be caustic, that's just the last line of the sketch.



I know!  I know! But I don't know who Pearlie Baker is!  Oh, now August is thinking we are all too dumb to get his jokes and he's going to leave us for another messageboard!


Well, Pearlie Baker is August West's long lost love.  They're both characters in the Grateful Dead song "Wharf Rat".  August is a dirty smelly bum who tells his story to the narrator.  He knows that Pearlie's been true to him.  He's sure of it.

Lord knows I don't think anybody around here is dumb.  And I'd never leave because then I'd have no social life at all.
Title: Favorite Cheese
Post by: AugustWest on July 08, 2004, 02:22:01 am
To actually respond to the topic of the thread:

I chose Swiss.  This is one of those unanswerable questions, like "What's your favorite music?" or "Who's the greatest guitar player?"  Swiss was the first thing to come to mind, but the cheese is such a vast and wonderful world of flavorocity that you can't choose just one.

I'm a big Feta lover.  You can't go wrong with a really really sharp Cheddar (Welsh Rarebit -- mmm).  Gorgonzolas, bleu, smoked Gouda.  I can't really think of a cheese that I don't like -- although I will admit to be less fond of the soft cheeses in the Brie/Camembaert line.

I meant to post about this when we did it, but Mrs. West and I had a very expensive meal (for us) about 10 days ago.  We went to the Melting Pot, a fondue restaurant (the cheese connection).  It was pretty excellent, but expensive.  Also, it's like an event -- the meal took 3.5 hours.
Title: Favorite Cheese
Post by: Ben-San on July 08, 2004, 05:02:07 am
I like many cheeses a lot but Jarlsberg particularly.
I kind of have a grudge against asiago for reasons that are a little unfair to the cheese itself: a couple of sandwich chains tried to make asiago "hip" (or maybe it became hip on its own and I just didn't notice and they were riding the bandwagon) so for a while there were enormous gobs of asiago in everything even when it was counterproductive or at least unnecessary. It's not a bad cheese but this is the sort of thing that can prejudice a fellow against it.
Title: Favorite Cheese
Post by: wombat on July 08, 2004, 12:52:39 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"

Well, Pearlie Baker is August West's long lost love.  They're both characters in the Grateful Dead song "Wharf Rat".  August is a dirty smelly bum who tells his story to the narrator.  He knows that Pearlie's been true to him.  He's sure of it.



Aw shucks.  And a rodent, sort of, even.
Title: Favorite Cheese
Post by: sailor on July 13, 2004, 11:33:29 pm
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Can I just go ahead and applaud you all for choosing neither "I Hate Cheese..." nor "American?"

Thanks.

Thanks.


I picked American. Because AMERICAN. IS. RAD. If Velveeta was up there, i would have picked that. Because I am poor white trash. Although i do envy you Achewood foodies, i just don't have the time/money, so i haven't even heard of half the cheeses y'all are talking about. But I'm sure they're...you know...good and all. Because cheese is the main reason vegans have crappy lives.