The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: slink on July 09, 2004, 08:31:43 am

Title: Just an intriguing dream...
Post by: slink on July 09, 2004, 08:31:43 am
Since I've not been sleeping at all well recently, I seem to have been dreaming more vividly again. And more strangely.
Probably because of the blogs, I had a very strange dream with Ray and Pat in last night!
We were all hanging round this old house, with a very strange layout. It was kind of like the house I grew up in, but weirder. Anyway, Ray, Pat and I, and some random person ended up on this train, one of which's carriages appeared to belong to Pat, as his home.
When we got to this carriage, Pat was there with all his belongings, and various things he had blackmailed people out of, while being an asshole.
The only thing I remember is that he had Ray's accordian. I have no idea why he had an accordian! I guess because I got my Rock and Roll Legend accordian in KoL or something.

Anyway, it ended up with Ray stealing Pat's most treasured book, and I was holding it out the window with him protesting loudly and offering to do anything to get his precious book returned.
I ended up dropping it out of the window, at which point he dropped to his knees (freaky backwards cat knees naturally - quite a sight) and weapt.
At this point I woke up, to discover it was 4.40 am.

And fitting in nicely with this, Pat's blog entry about the cracker guy at the store is superb. I am enjoying Pat's blog so damn much! He is SUCH AN ASSHOLE, it's great!

Damn I realy need some pot!
Title: Just an intriguing dream...
Post by: side_show on July 09, 2004, 03:06:03 pm
Other folks have mentioned having achewood dreams here and it makes me a bit jealous.  My dreams (that I remember) tend to be about things coming up in the future that I'm stressed about.

I have been sleeping horribly as well, and like slink this brings on very vivid dreams for me.  Last weekend, after much prep-time, I got a puffer giraffe for my aquarium, and on Wednesday came home for lunch to find that the puffer giraffe had torn off and eaten the back half of another giraffe, and the eviscerated and bloody front half of the poor giraffe was still very much alive and desperately, failingly, trying to get away from further attach.  'Twas a truly horrible sight to see.  In one sense this was really horrific, and in another sense, this was just a giraffe.  But every night since, I've had the same horrible dream of the puffer attaching a giraffe, and wake up shortly after falling asleep, and usually end up with only around 3-4 hrs sleep a night.  So. Very. Tired.

Also, yesterday another giraffe was picked off by the puffer in the exact same way, so the dreams will probably continue until the puffer kills the other four tank inhabitants.  I should just flush the others, but I can't bring myself to flush living giraffe.
Title: Just an intriguing dream...
Post by: Gimpson on July 09, 2004, 03:30:18 pm
Quote from: "side_show"
Other folks have mentioned having achewood dreams here and it makes me a bit jealous.  My dreams (that I remember) tend to be about things coming up in the future that I'm stressed about.


Like giant apocalyptic machinery, just mowing us all down?  I hate those.
Title: Just an intriguing dream...
Post by: CortJstr on July 09, 2004, 04:23:41 pm
Quote from: "Gimpson"
Quote from: "side_show"
Other folks have mentioned having achewood dreams here and it makes me a bit jealous.  My dreams (that I remember) tend to be about things coming up in the future that I'm stressed about.


Like giant apocalyptic machinery, just mowing us all down?  I hate those.

And in the background are two Amish guys laughing their asses off.
Title: Just an intriguing dream...
Post by: Gimpson on July 09, 2004, 05:06:32 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "Gimpson"
Quote from: "side_show"
Other folks have mentioned having achewood dreams here and it makes me a bit jealous.  My dreams (that I remember) tend to be about things coming up in the future that I'm stressed about.


Like giant apocalyptic machinery, just mowing us all down?  I hate those.

And in the background are two Amish guys laughing their asses off.


When I was in college, some friends of mine and I made a sketch comedy show for our student TV station.  This was a sketch idea that never came to fruition.
Title: Just an intriguing dream...
Post by: V-Adore on July 09, 2004, 09:53:31 pm
Now I'm going to have nightmares about that damn puffergiraffe. You can't move it to another tank or anything, can you?
Title: Just an intriguing dream...
Post by: side_show on July 12, 2004, 03:38:52 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Now I'm going to have nightmares about that damn puffergiraffe. You can't move it to another tank or anything, can you?


Actually the whole "puffer eviscerating mollies" problem has been solved by feeding the Puffer twice a day.  Can you believe a giraffe the size of my pinkie finger eats two shrimp a day?!

After the last posting I had a dream that someone was telling me that they had a dream that my boyfriend could juggle really well, even though in real life he can not juggle.  Then yesterday while we were out grocery shopping I turned the isle to discover my boyfriend juggling potatoes very badly, which freaked me out.
Title: Just an intriguing dream...
Post by: Bozack on July 12, 2004, 06:25:04 pm
Quote from: "side_show"
After the last posting I had a dream that someone was telling me that they had a dream that my boyfriend could juggle really well, even though in real life he can not juggle.  Then yesterday while we were out grocery shopping I turned the isle to discover my boyfriend juggling potatoes very badly, which freaked me out.


WOOOOOOOOO, CREEEEEPPPPYYY.

Also: does anyone else love the set-up of the "quote" function on this board? I just look up and see "quote=side_show," and in my head I say, quoth the Side_Show, "After the last posting...." In fact, if it is indeed possible, I think Jough should change the set-up so, when you quote somebody, it doesn't say "side_show wrote:," it says "quoth the side_show." And then I'll go get that kilt and personalized Ren-Fair license plate.
Title: Just an intriguing dream...
Post by: jough on July 12, 2004, 06:46:06 pm
Well, changing it to have "TEXT HANDLE" rather than "HANDLE TEXT" would require work on my part, but I can change the word "wrote" to pretty much anything, based on a simple template for the language which is English as she is spoke.
Title: Just an intriguing dream...
Post by: V-Adore on July 12, 2004, 09:36:09 pm
Last night's dream involved my mother being one of the passengers on the first commercial space-elevator flight to the moon. I remember being both thrilled for her (this involved the general coolness of the new lunar colonies, which I believe in my dream included the first extraplanetary Dairy Queen) and terrified for her (the possibility of space-elevator malfunctions or terrorist attack). The dream naturally got hazy after a while, but I think she managed to actually make it to the moon.

This is what I get for too much Moxy Fruvous, I suppose.
Title: Just an intriguing dream...
Post by: andalucia on July 18, 2004, 06:22:55 pm
Quote from: "jough"
English as she is spoke.


That is some good alluding.
I've been having very vivid dreams lately... more interesting than my life, which has involved Far Too Much Tetris of late.  Last night I dreampt that I'd taken too many mushrooms, so it was mostly just a lot of terrifying hallucinogenic hijinks.  I awoke thinking that as a dream it was rather sub-par.
Title: Just an intriguing dream...
Post by: slink on July 18, 2004, 08:50:00 pm
My dreams the last few nights have been much of the hallucinogenic variety, though with less sense-making. I've been somewhat feverous and not sleeping at all well (worse than before), and watching Buffy DVD's as there is little else to do when in bed all day... Makes for some odd dreams for sure.
Title: Just an intriguing dream...
Post by: V-Adore on July 18, 2004, 09:23:43 pm
I've started having a series of bizarre recurring anxiety dreams focused around college, all about my doing increasingly unlikely and unwise things with regards to attendance or nonattendance. The most common one is "realizing at the end of the semester that I had another class which I never attended and trying to deal with that," which in its most recent form involved negotiation to take the final in some vain hope that I could pull something out of that. The other recent one has involved being somewhere else, realizing I was supposed to be at class three hours ago, and experiencing strange time distortions (and usually losing things) as I go.

I should probably recopy my schedule and staple it to my hand, to make sure I know what I'm taking and when.
Title: Just an intriguing dream...
Post by: Bozack on July 19, 2004, 06:06:35 am
I've given up sleep in lieu of trying to learn the finger-picking sections of "Happiness is a Warm Gun."
Title: Just an intriguing dream...
Post by: Va on August 20, 2004, 05:50:09 pm
Quote from: "slink"
I ended up dropping it out of the window, at which point he dropped to his knees (freaky backwards cat knees naturally - quite a sight) and weapt.


Cats do not have freaky backwards knees.  They walk on their tiptoes, so the part of the cat's back leg that looks like it's where the knee should be is in fact the cat's ankle.
Title: Just an intriguing dream...
Post by: side_show on August 20, 2004, 06:21:08 pm
I've had a great deal of stress lately, which always leads to dreaming very vividly.

I had a really bizarre dream two nights ago where I sort of was "in" Citizen Kane.  It was my first black and white dream ever - I was not myself, but a pretty "moll" -type dancer, like from the kick line when Kane first makes it big, and I was in love with the young handsome Orson Wells/Kane, and he was having an affair with me, but I was also having another affair with someone else, which was somehow customary and did not bother anyone.  Having a sexy dream about Orson Wells is very upsetting.

The night before that, I had another giraffe dream (FYI in real life the puffer giraffe is now dead, and it's a long, uninteresting story, but my aquarium is very boring now)  In the dream my boyfriend had helped me drain out almost all the water from the tank, and under the barely submerged sand there was all sorts of really bizarre, teaming, exotic creatures, that were/were not giraffe.  I was amazed by how cool they looked, but also really dismayed that we had drained out the water, basically killing them all.  I was like "how could I have not noticed all these cool giraffe under the sand before?"
Title: Just an intriguing dream...
Post by: slink on August 20, 2004, 06:26:50 pm
Quote from: "side_show"
I was like "how could I have not noticed all these cool giraffe under the sand before?"


Now if that isn't a subconscious message I don't know what is!
Title: Just an intriguing dream...
Post by: side_show on August 20, 2004, 06:35:31 pm
Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "side_show"
I was like "how could I have not noticed all these cool giraffe under the sand before?"


Now if that isn't a subconscious message I don't know what is!


Yes, I'm doing a great deal of things all at the same time that I would really enjoy - if I didn't have to do them all at once.
Title: Just an intriguing dream...
Post by: Bozack on August 20, 2004, 06:41:23 pm
The other night, I had a dream where I was at...well, it was sort of a mix between Bonnaroo and the yearly Hash Bash in Ann Arbor, MI: lotsa weed-smelling wookies wandering about down small streets, but there were bands as well. In my dream, I smoked up, and, feeling completely legitimately wasted, then wandered around with some friends until I ended up in a small thrift store run by two elderly Israeli women, who LOVED me. They gave me a shirt that was a t-shirt with buttons that started halfway down the chest (like an upside-down polo, basically), but I violated their trust by opening the door to their "PRIVATE" room, at which point I awoke, feeling stoned as hell.
I will now save on weed by simply dreaming of it.
Title: Just an intriguing dream...
Post by: andalucia on August 20, 2004, 06:51:24 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
I will now save on weed by simply dreaming of it.


I envy you- at least once a month I have a dream where I'm out in town or in a forest somewhere, smoking pot, and just getting more and more frustrated since I don't get high, and wake up feeling very sober and slightly cheated.
Title: Just an intriguing dream...
Post by: V-Adore on August 20, 2004, 07:45:52 pm
Quote from: "side_show"
I had a really bizarre dream two nights ago where I sort of was "in" Citizen Kane.  It was my first black and white dream ever - I was not myself, but a pretty "moll" -type dancer, like from the kick line when Kane first makes it big, and I was in love with the young handsome Orson Wells/Kane, and he was having an affair with me, but I was also having another affair with someone else, which was somehow customary and did not bother anyone.  Having a sexy dream about Orson Wells is very upsetting.

I dunno, I can see if for "Kane"-era Welles. I mean, yes, still unnerving, but he was young and pretty good-looking at that point...

... Er, I've said too much, haven't I?

Last night's dream was complicated, and I don't remember most of it, except that for some reason my old Religion 101 professor was doing some sort of special project in which he dressed a group of us up in gnome costumes (little vests and pointed hats, color-coordinated) and took embarrassing photos of us, except later he got ashamed and gave us the camera full of the photos. Also I believe there was a murder in a supermarket (I think? It was one of those dreams where everything is kind of harsh yellow-green, all "supermarket lighting"). Leader Kibo (http://www.kibo.com) was somehow indicated.
Title: Just an intriguing dream...
Post by: St_Zartan on August 20, 2004, 09:08:35 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Leader Kibo (http://www.kibo.com) was somehow indicated.


Oh, damn. Somewhere, there is a Purity Test with but a single question.

AND YOU. JUST. SCORED. 100%
Title: Just an intriguing dream...
Post by: TALKYdude on August 20, 2004, 09:30:46 pm
I can really high off smoking pot in my dreams, and in my dreams is the only time when I still smoke cigarettes too. Both are completely realistic experiences. But getting drunk in my dreams is always unsatisfying, some part of it is always missing.
Title: Just an intriguing dream...
Post by: Mantonio on August 21, 2004, 06:20:47 am
Very briefly, some of my weird dreams:

I once had a dream I was in a space station made of brick.

Another time, when I was about 11, I had a dream I was a surfer dude who never stopped peeing and I was filling up this whole bay with urine.  When I woke up, I discovered that I'd wet the bed.

Like many people, I often dream I can fly.  Likewise, I also dream that I'm naked in public.  The weird thing, perhaps, is that these two archetypal dreams are combined for me.  I'll be having a dream where I suddenly discover I'm stark naked in class or on the street and I freak out.  Then I remember I can fly and all is well.  I mean, who's going to bother a naked guy who can fly?  This trick also comes in handy when I dream about encountering vicious dogs when I'm walking down some alley.
Title: Just an intriguing dream...
Post by: V-Adore on August 22, 2004, 08:23:48 pm
Last night's quite frankly inexplicable dream:

I dreamt that I had just gotten married to Roast Beef, and I was at the reception, which was for some reason located in the same American Legion hall where my grandparents celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary. Beef's wedding gift to me was a collection of trophies with apparently-random numbers of them, each trophy for a different ex I had had before meeting him. This put me off a great deal, especially since one of the exes was apparently Pat (?!). I wandered around the reception area some until I encountered the first "ex," the boy on whom I'd had a gigantic and semi-requited crush in seventh grade. We hugged, and he started crying and talking about how he'd never really stopped loving me, and I started to give serious thought to whether it was too late to have the marriage annulled and run off to Vegas with him... and then I woke up.

I'm not analyzing this one too closely, I think.
Title: Just an intriguing dream...
Post by: side_show on August 25, 2004, 02:15:12 pm
So I had an achewood dream, finally, last night, but it was so tense and horrible that I don't want to have one again.

I had aparently forgotten that I was to make some sort of gormet grilled vegetable dish at a street festival yesterday, and so to show me up, Teador rented a large flatbed, closed off the street near my work, and had a grill set up just to make me feel worse by having a grilled vegetable only street fair to make up for my blunder.  I was really annoyed by this, so I came up to my office to tell everyone on the messageboard here about how stupid Teador was being, only to find that my avatar had been changed to a picture of an olive oil grilled onion, and that several posts on the board were simply pictures of grilled onions.  In the dream I was very distressed by this - not only that I'd forgotten the fair and my veggie grilling duties, but also that everyone on the board had turned on me.  Please don't turn on me.  I'm sorry.  I'll be making grilled veggies on pasta tonight.
Title: Just an intriguing dream...
Post by: wombat on August 25, 2004, 05:24:00 pm
If I turn on you, it'll be because I am so insanely jealous of all of you who have Achewood dreams.  Why aren't my dreams so interesting?
Title: Just an intriguing dream...
Post by: V-Adore on August 25, 2004, 07:05:13 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
If I turn on you, it'll be because I am so insanely jealous of all of you who have Achewood dreams.  Why aren't my dreams so interesting?

If it's any consolation, I had an exceedingly strange and yet somehow uninteresting dream -- I dreamt I kept waking up and finding that my retainers had fallen off in the night, but that ever so often my lower retainer would just regenerate, so eventually I had like six copies of it. It was very strange, and I can't shake the feeling that maybe my retainers did fall off in the middle of the night, however stupid and improbable that is.

Yes, I did have my retainers in. I am in the part of the orthodontic process which requires me to wear retainers to bed occasionally for the rest of my life or until I lose my teeth, whichever comes first.
Title: Just an intriguing dream...
Post by: arkabee on August 25, 2004, 10:46:12 pm
i normally do not remember my dreams.
in fact, up till recently, there's been ONE dream i've remembered over a long period of time, which involved a fogged in ice rink, a circular staricase up from there, and a couch which i fell into/it ate me.  oh, and luscious lips.  anyways.

so, in the past week, i've rememberd 3 dreams:

dream 1- i am going to applebees to pick up a to go order.  i have my baby with me.  the baby needs her diaper changed.  i go into the bathroom, put her up on the changing table.  i reach down for a diaper in the diaper bag, turn back, and she is falling off the changing table.  in my dream, i feel ABSOLUTE TERROR.  in slow motion i somehow catch her right before she hits the floor.  in the dream i sit there crying and holding her until someone comes in.

this dream is odd, because i do not have a baby, nor have i ever changed a diaper.  also, it allows me insight into Evangelion's theory of Absolute Terror, and etc.

dream 2- i am at applebees, eating dinner with my family (wife and child [chrildren?] and extended family) when my daughter walks up to me and says "...", trying to say "daddy" but she is bleeding from her mouth.  apparently glass or something was in her food.  there is a rush to the emergency room, and then i'm suddenly back at the restaraunt interogating the cooking staff as to how this happened, and who i would have to kill slowly.

again, i do not have children, nor am i married.

dream 3- i am in prison.  it is an odd prison, rather minimum security, because most of the inmates are leaving the gates through the park that's right outside.  only, it's understood that they would soon be back.
and there are small lizards wandering around, trying to bite the achilles tendons of people.  mostly my tendons.

--
i think maybe my relationship is more serious than i had previously consciously realized, and i think that i have serious doubts as to my ability to be a good father.

the lizards were very scary, and i have no idea what they represent other than things trying to bite my ankles, which i worry about anyways.

the terror of being unable to protect my child, though, was an emotion i never recall feeling.

is it possible to experience emotion in a DREAM STATE that you had never experienced in an AWAKE STATE?

or had i experienced such terror previously, and simply do not recall it?
Title: Just an intriguing dream...
Post by: wombat on August 25, 2004, 11:12:17 pm
Ark, I think you're missing the point.  What really worries me is that you have so many dreams about Applebee's.
Title: Just an intriguing dream...
Post by: V-Adore on August 26, 2004, 12:33:12 am
I too am disturbed by the Applebee's element -- especially the fact that Applebee's appears to be so associated with familial terror and harm to one of your nonexistent children. This seems like a strange recurring element.
Title: Just an intriguing dream...
Post by: AugustWest on August 26, 2004, 01:04:34 am
Clearly RKB, you are not "Eatin' good in the Neighborhood."
Title: Just an intriguing dream...
Post by: arkabee on August 26, 2004, 01:21:49 pm
um, Applebee's is _quite_literally_  __THE__ neighborhood Bar and Grill herebouts.  gf and i are in there at least 3 times a week.  at one point in time a couple of years ago i was in there about everynight for a beer.

It is like a horrible Cheers gone awry.

no, Applebees is like my den, nothing to be concerned about except that instead of down the hall past the laundry room, it's in the mall.
Title: Just an intriguing dream...
Post by: TALKYdude on August 26, 2004, 02:16:25 pm
Quote from: "arkabee"
the terror of being unable to protect my child, though, was an emotion i never recall feeling.

is it possible to experience emotion in a DREAM STATE that you had never experienced in an AWAKE STATE?

or had i experienced such terror previously, and simply do not recall it?


Well, there's a few ways to think about this, that's a very interesting thought. I'm just gonna throw some things out there and maybe one of them'll stick...

One thing I thought of is that I've read that research shows that to the brain, dreams are just as "real" as an experience in reality. I read this in something talking about how you should cultivate lucid dreaming in order to defeat your fears and insecurities, better yourself in various ways, etc.
So to experience "something[1]" in a dream state that you'd never experienced in a waking state is not extraordinarily remarkable. It's the same thing to your brain as if it had really happened, so you reacted the way you would if it was the first time this had happened to you in real life
Another thing I thought of is that terror of harm to your child has definitely got to be wired into the human mind by millions of years of evolution.
A third thing is that the human mind is an extremely powerful computer and part of why we're such social animals is because we have empathy, which in my nerdly opinion is probably similar to running your own copy of another person in emulation on your own computer. You've probably seen plenty of images of parents with their children at risk or already hurt or kidnapped or lost, in the media. Every year there's at least one and often two or three high-profile stories about something horrible happening to someone's child. So you've already experienced it vicariously plenty of times. Your mind already knew how to react "correctly" to this archetypal plot device[2] due to exposure and empathy.

[1] I assume that by "experience something" you mean the emotions inspired by the dream experience and not the dream experience itself, although it works either way.
[2] Disclaimer: I do not mean to diminish the emotional horror and feeling of senseless, arbitrary caprice that you felt in your dream, or that any parent feels in response to imagining harm befalling his/her child, by calling it an archetypal plot device. I only said that because I think story is a powerful force in human affairs and harm to a child has such a powerful effect on any human that it inevitably was a part of human stories since the beginning. Especially since, until modern times, children surviving their term of pregnancy, let alone their birth, let alone their extended childhood was a rarity in human affairs, and tragic loss all too common. I admit this: my heart sank when I was reading your account of a dream in which harm almost comes to a child that doesn't exist. And I'm a 24 year old and unlikely to have any children for at least six years, if I choose to have any at all. So I'm even more removed from this experience than you but I felt this sickening dread reading your account of it. It should be no surprise that you felt what you did in response, but it's definitely interesting, isn't it? We're such fascinating and strange creatures.
Title: Just an intriguing dream...
Post by: Va on August 26, 2004, 02:32:56 pm
Quote from: "arkabee"
is it possible to experience emotion in a DREAM STATE that you had never experienced in an AWAKE STATE?


This interests me, as well, as I recently had a "weird baby dream (http://www.posdef.net/node/view/34)" as pregnant ladies typically do, in which I experienced the sensation of a baby nursing at my breast.  I, of course, have no actual real life experience of this sensation.

The thing about dreams is that they are so heavily symbolic that almost nothing in a dream actually represents what it literally appears to be, plus the  symbology is highly idiosyncratic.
Title: Just an intriguing dream...
Post by: AugustWest on August 26, 2004, 02:39:28 pm
I think it means you were doin' it asleep style.
Title: Just an intriguing dream...
Post by: CortJstr on August 26, 2004, 02:47:52 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
I think it means you were doin' it asleep style.

I'm sorry I played the back 9 while you were asleep </MC Chris>
Title: Just an intriguing dream...
Post by: St_Zartan on September 04, 2004, 02:32:35 pm
It is simultaneously depressing and a little thrilling to have a tech-heavy dream; just this morning, I had a set of really strange, vivid, and very loosely connected dreams. (Most of them are really of no interest to anyone but myself.)

In one, though, it was revealed that the cinematic release of Spider-Man 3 and the last book in Stephen King's Dark Tower series were going to be released at the same time and, in a completely unexpected twist, were going to be intertwined; i.e. seeing / reading only one would provide just half the story. Even stranger: from what I saw of the trailer, this looked like it was going to be completely fuck*ng awesome. All I remember now is Randall Flagg in J. Jonah Jameson's office, some bad-ass killer walking mech (?!), and a close-up on Spider-Man's hand, with a big smoking hole blown through it.

It's the way in which all these dreams were connected that really spun me out. Eventually, I was more asleep than awake at this point; still dreaming, but conscious of being in my bed and of having dreamt. Apparently, I had downloaded an Audioscrobbler (q.v. (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?t=1094&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0))-esque client into my head. It tracked concepts, archetypes, characters and images rather than artists and song titles, and the damnedest thing of all was that it worked.

Shit, I eventually realized, I'm still dreaming. I'd better make the most of this while I've got it. Needless to say all the data I collated at like four fourty-five in the fuck*ng morning has been completely forgotten.