The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: gchedzhemov on July 11, 2004, 09:24:09 pm

Title: ...
Post by: gchedzhemov on July 11, 2004, 09:24:09 pm
...
Title: Prick's tryna' move smack on my turf!
Post by: slink on July 11, 2004, 09:43:05 pm
What intrigues me is that the reflection in the glass appears to be Dogbert's ass. I can make out the shape and the tail is all.

I feel like I may well be asleep. Is this honestly really happening?
OK...
Title: Prick's tryna' move smack on my turf!
Post by: sailor on July 11, 2004, 09:44:44 pm
So....uhhh....what's your girlfriend doing tonight?
Title: Prick's tryna' move smack on my turf!
Post by: V-Adore on July 11, 2004, 09:46:51 pm
Niiice.

(I mean that unironically, incidentally. This is a heck of an artifact.)
Title: ...
Post by: gchedzhemov on July 11, 2004, 10:19:03 pm
...
Title: Prick's tryna' move smack on my turf!
Post by: jough on July 12, 2004, 06:21:26 am
Dude, this entire board is about people having nothing nice to say and then saying it anyway.

At least, MY posts are about that. ;)
Title: Prick's tryna' move smack on my turf!
Post by: slink on July 12, 2004, 10:28:41 am
Quote from: "gchedzhemov"

How does that saying go: "If you have nothing nice to say..."


Yea. I just, I don't know. It's odd is all.
I'm sure it means something to you, and it's uber cool of both your g/f and Chris to have gotten this done for you, but it makes no sense to me. I mean, as V put it, the artifact does. It's great, but as an Achewood strip it just doesn't do anything for me...
Plus like I say, I was half asleep after walking around for 8 hours constantly, so it just seemed unreal.

Anyway...
Title: Prick's tryna' move smack on my turf!
Post by: pubdoggy on July 12, 2004, 11:22:58 am
my girlfriend got me an oil painting commissioned. It's called "Philippe In French Fry Heaven". It is diplayed below. It. Is. Awe. Some.
(http://www.pubdoggy.com/images/philippe.jpg)
Title: Prick's tryna' move smack on my turf!
Post by: side_show on July 12, 2004, 03:47:07 pm
if you wanted to fill me with envy, you have done so.

that is all.
Title: Prick's tryna' move smack on my turf!
Post by: jay-ell on July 12, 2004, 04:37:58 pm
Thanks for sharing, George and Pubdoggy.  

I think they are both neat.
Title: Prick's tryna' move smack on my turf!
Post by: Mantonio on July 12, 2004, 04:47:59 pm
Quote from: "pubdoggy"
my girlfriend got me an oil painting commissioned. It's called "Philippe In French Fry Heaven". It is diplayed below. It. Is. Awe. Some.
(http://www.pubdoggy.com/images/philippe.jpg)


Why is Philippe in French Fry Heaven?  I hope it's not because Nice Pete commissioned the act of murder on him.
Title: Prick's tryna' move smack on my turf!
Post by: keef on July 12, 2004, 04:48:59 pm
Seriously bad-ass.  So Onstad does commissions of strips featuring his characters?  Damn.  Damn.
Title: Prick's tryna' move smack on my turf!
Post by: Bozack on July 12, 2004, 06:18:43 pm
....Where did you people GET these girlfriends? Mine just steal my copies of William Gibson books. Well, my copies....and my heart.
Title: Prick's tryna' move smack on my turf!
Post by: jough on July 12, 2004, 06:28:16 pm
Dude, Onstad will do anything for money. Anything.

I like the strip, but not enough to want to pay a lot of money for something not done by the artist of the strip.

I guess having your own custom commissioned Achewood strip is kinda neat... but that's not really an Achewood strip...

I don't know - once you decide on what you want the strip to be about, what characters you want in it, etc., it's less a work of art and more a work for hire.  Like commissioning Picasso to paint your fence.

Please note that I am not equating Onstad with Picasso.  It's just an apt metaphor.
Title: Prick's tryna' move smack on my turf!
Post by: AugustWest on July 12, 2004, 06:49:31 pm
Quote from: "jough"
It's just an apt metaphor.


It's Apt.  APT!!!!


OK, I'll be rude and crass and ask what we all want to know.

How much?
Title: Prick's tryna' move smack on my turf!
Post by: CortJstr on July 12, 2004, 06:53:15 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "jough"
It's just an apt metaphor.


It's Apt.  APT!!!!

Who else was thinking this?
Title: Prick's tryna' move smack on my turf!
Post by: AugustWest on July 12, 2004, 06:57:43 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "jough"
It's just an apt metaphor.


It's Apt.  APT!!!!

Who else was thinking this?


Yeah, I feel like I'm doomed to hear Lisa Simpson every time someone says "Apt".
Title: Prick's tryna' move smack on my turf!
Post by: side_show on July 12, 2004, 07:35:52 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "jough"
It's just an apt metaphor.


It's Apt.  APT!!!!

Who else was thinking this?


Yeah, I feel like I'm doomed to hear Lisa Simpson every time someone says "Apt".


Sigh. I actually always think of the movie "Apt Pupil" that I've never seen, but which originally prompted me to look up the meaning of the word "apt" in a dictionary.

Also, I'm with AugustWest in wanting to know exactly how much I would have to pay to make Onstad my monkey.

And also, Bozack, I have to agree, where do these girlfriends come from?  I've put the Achewood cook book on two birthday and one X-mas wish list for my S.O. , and still I'll be putting it on my next birth wish list this Sept 27th, because it's been constantly ignored as being "too much effort."  Double Sigh.
Title: Prick's tryna' move smack on my turf!
Post by: V-Adore on July 12, 2004, 09:14:23 pm
Man, the SO here done bought me a postcard for Valentine's Day. A postcard with a map of the Boston T.

(Okay, so there were also some chocolate-covered fortune cookies. But mostly the T map.)
Title: Prick's tryna' move smack on my turf!
Post by: Ben-San on July 12, 2004, 10:57:30 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Man, the SO here done bought me a postcard for Valentine's Day. A postcard with a map of the Boston T.


The T is a good subway system to receive a postcard of. It has an aesthetically pleasing octothorpal shape. It is less aesthetically pleasing in the more recent maps, but still pretty nice.
Title: ...
Post by: gchedzhemov on July 12, 2004, 11:30:26 pm
...
Title: Prick's tryna' move smack on my turf!
Post by: jough on July 12, 2004, 11:45:28 pm
I was commenting on the Philippe in French Fry Heaven art that was to my knowledge not done by Onstad.
Title: Prick's tryna' move smack on my turf!
Post by: ferocious j on July 12, 2004, 11:53:54 pm
Some of you piss-drinkers are why nobody can have anything nice ever, anywhere, from now until the day the sun finally shrinks down to a cold lifeless ball of nuclear byproduct.

gched, that is one hell of an anniversary gift and you are a lucky individual.

pubdoggy, that painting is rad as fuck even if Onstad didn't actually make it.
Title: Prick's tryna' move smack on my turf!
Post by: Choop on July 13, 2004, 12:20:34 am
J, I know you don't hear this often (here at least) but thanks for saying what I hadn't yet had time to post.
Title: Prick's tryna' move smack on my turf!
Post by: V-Adore on July 13, 2004, 12:24:28 am
Okay, stepping in to do some light modding:

Please, please, for the love of God, let's not get into a bitchfight over this. I understand that one of FeroJ's ceremonial roles on this board is to step into threads, say "YOU ARE ALL COCKSWALLOWS," and leave; however, none of this is worth high language. I like this board because it's friendly and people can agree to disagree here, and if we can't do that, I'm turning this thread around and going to the border with it, folks.

That said: I like both the strip (although I am not sure how funny the strip is, I admire it as an artifact, and as a commissioned gift it's a lovely idea) and the painting -- who painted it, if I may ask, Pub?
Title: Prick's tryna' move smack on my turf!
Post by: Choop on July 13, 2004, 01:00:49 am
HAMMER'D
Title: Prick's tryna' move smack on my turf!
Post by: ferocious j on July 13, 2004, 01:01:40 am
V-Adore is the one who is correct here.  I haven't actually done the FJ Fight Dance in a while, but this was beyond intolerable.

Actually, for the most part, the reason why I don't post is usually because you guys are generally pretty cool and have already talked about/pointed out things that I would've wanted to say.

HUUUUUUUGS DAMMIT
Title: Prick's tryna' move smack on my turf!
Post by: Mantonio on July 13, 2004, 01:35:10 am
Quote from: "Bozack"
....Where did you people GET these girlfriends? Mine just steal my copies of William Gibson books. Well, my copies....and my heart.


I wish I had a girlfriend to steal my William Gibson books, except in my case they would be Ken Macleod books.
Title: Prick's tryna' move smack on my turf!
Post by: Bozack on July 13, 2004, 05:53:38 am
Quote from: "Mantonio"
I wish I had a girlfriend to steal my William Gibson books, except in my case they would be Ken Macleod books.


......


The Highlander wrote BOOKS?
Title: Prick's tryna' move smack on my turf!
Post by: pubdoggy on July 13, 2004, 08:21:18 am
Ladies and Gentlemen. (drumroll).

<bomb style="dropped">Mr Chris Onstad DID paint Philippe In French Fry Heaven. For me. For my Birthday. My girlfriend did not ask for anything specific from him - just a "good thing which he will like".</bomb>

HOW good is that?

sorry Jough.
Title: Prick's tryna' move smack on my turf!
Post by: Mantonio on July 13, 2004, 04:12:36 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "Mantonio"
I wish I had a girlfriend to steal my William Gibson books, except in my case they would be Ken Macleod books.


......


The Highlander wrote BOOKS?


Not the immortal dude, this guy:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books&field-author=MacLeod%2C%20Ken/103-5580768-5913427
Title: Prick's tryna' move smack on my turf!
Post by: jough on July 13, 2004, 06:34:12 pm
Holy SHIT Pubby that is hell of awesome.

[jaw style="dropped"]That is extremely awesome.[/jaw]
Title: Prick's tryna' move smack on my turf!
Post by: V-Adore on July 13, 2004, 08:42:26 pm
Rock ON, Pubster.

It. Is. RAD.
Title: Prick's tryna' move smack on my turf!
Post by: sailor on July 13, 2004, 09:50:39 pm
Quote from: "gchedzhemov"


Like I said: it was a gift so I have no way of knowing even if I wanted to.

George


Assuming that yr GF is an Achewood fan, i'm going to guess the price was one fifth of upper-shelf whiskey. It was established long ago on the dumbrella board that 'Stad will do anything for a decent fifth.