The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: jough on July 12, 2004, 10:56:07 pm

Title: Quick question for someone who is good at making graphics...
Post by: jough on July 12, 2004, 10:56:07 pm
Hey kids,

I know a bunch of people on here are graphics artists, either by hobby or trade.

I am redesigning my Poetry X (http://poetryx.com) web site, and am making a new graphic based on this little icon I made last year:

(http://poetryx.com/2.0/images/icons/xtras.gif)

Basically the thing is a little circle cut into four pie-wedges where the negative space makes an X.  It's not great, but I drew it pixel by pixel and I like the way it looks.

Now I'm trying to make a larger logo that uses that little X circle image, but just blowing it up of course makes it look all pixely:

(http://poetryx.com/2.0/images/poetryXLogo.gif)

and trying to blur it to smooth it out just makes it look blurry:

(http://poetryx.com/2.0/images/poetryXLogo2.gif)

Does anyone know of a way to make something look sharper and smoother at the same time using say, Photoshop?

I guess I could re-draw the design in Illustrator, but I do not really know how to properly use Illustrator, and I can't really make artwork worth a shit.

I'm thinking of making a logo contest or something, but I'm semi-broke right now.

Damn.  I just have so little talent for making graphics for the web.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Title: Quick question for someone who is good at making graphics...
Post by: Choop on July 13, 2004, 12:08:47 am
Mail me the font file and hex codes and I'll do it up for you.

whatever at 10 mar 2001 dot com
Title: Quick question for someone who is good at making graphics...
Post by: jough on July 13, 2004, 12:22:23 am
Well, I am not married to any font or colour.  I believe the little logo is all red: #FF0000 and the blue is lightish: #0099CC but those were just quick choices because I suck at graphics and making logos.

I could use Lyle's help here.  I'd like something retro-looking but I am no artist.
Title: Quick question for someone who is good at making graphics...
Post by: sailor on July 13, 2004, 11:00:41 pm
I kinda like the pixel-y version. All Diesel Sweeties style.
Title: Quick question for someone who is good at making graphics...
Post by: jough on July 14, 2004, 01:35:41 am
Yeah, I thought about that.  I was thinking more of "the old Hot Wired Style" (since that's what Diesel Sweeties looks like) but then I'd have to make the font all pixely to match, huh?

And I don't know if the pixely thing would really be in service of the type of site it is.
Title: Quick question for someone who is good at making graphics...
Post by: Choop on July 14, 2004, 04:21:11 am
If you do decide to go the pixel font route, get them from wpdfd (http://www.wpdfd.com/pixelfonts.htm). Lovely, perfect pixel fonts for cheap ($8 to $15, compare to other type stores) which belong in anybody's library if said anybody makes graphics of any kind.

What's the name of the font you used in that original graphic? When I toss one up for you, I want to match, not innovate.
Title: Quick question for someone who is good at making graphics...
Post by: jough on July 14, 2004, 05:27:23 pm
I will misspell this, but it's one that comes with Windows: Haettenschweiller.