The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: sailor on July 13, 2004, 10:10:12 pm

Title: Book dealio
Post by: sailor on July 13, 2004, 10:10:12 pm
I think it's hell of rad that 'Stad got a book deal. I can't wait to be in a book store, look over, and see Achewood, all sittin' there, all probably Phillipe on the cover, all lookin' cute so as to attract browsers. I hope he makes mucho cash on this.
Title: Book dealio
Post by: jough on July 13, 2004, 10:49:22 pm
I've never heard of the publisher, but that doesn't mean that they *won't* get national (or international) distribution.  I wonder if we'll actually see these on shelves next to Calvin & Hobbes and all of those Garfield books.
Title: Book dealio
Post by: wombat on July 13, 2004, 10:59:58 pm
Will people start searching the Internet for Achewood-related sites?  There goes the neighborhood.
Title: Book dealio
Post by: jough on July 14, 2004, 01:36:28 am
They already do.  Where do you think all of these new members are coming from?  Not Achewood.com, since Onstad still will not link to us DUE TO PUNISHMENT.
Title: Book dealio
Post by: Choop on July 14, 2004, 04:12:08 am
Fourth (third grouped) result (http://www.google.com/search?q=achewood), probably.
Title: Book dealio
Post by: CortJstr on July 14, 2004, 01:25:42 pm
Lileks (http://www.lileks.com/bleats/archive/04/0704/071404.html) goes on about the book deal and the blogs in the Bleat for a bit today.
Title: Checker's Distribution
Post by: Paul Dubuc on July 14, 2004, 04:22:03 pm
We do, indeed, have national -- and international -- distribution.

The book will be PRESENTED to Barnes & Noble, to Borders, to Waldenbooks, B. Dalton, Books-A-Million, Hastings and Virgin.  It will be made available to your favorite independent or smaller chain store through their favorite wholesalers.  Will they carry it?  That depends, really, on how savvy their buyers are and what kind of hype Checker and Chris can generate.

Comic shops will certainly carry it, or order it in for you when the book is listed in the September edition of Diamond's Previews catalog.

Amazon and Barnes & Noble.com will be selling it on-line, as will Checker.  Chris will be selling personalized, autographed copies in his store.

In short, no one who wants a copy of this book will go wanting.
Title: Book dealio
Post by: jough on July 14, 2004, 05:39:01 pm
I was wondering how many actual stores would actually CARRY the book, though.  Achewood is not exactly "Baby Blues."

I remember when you could find Life in Hell books at the Waldenbooks in the mall.  Now they don't carry ANYTHING that's even remotely potentially offensive.

I know that if you use a distributor like Ingram the book is theoretically available to bookstores to order and carry, but without the marketing muscle of a HarperCollins or Random House, how many actually will?

People who are already familiar with Achewood are already reading the strip online and buying the books direct from Onstad.

This new deal gives the strip the chance to be picked up by browsers who have never heard of Achewood before, but pick up the book in Borders while the meet friends for a latté

Very exciting.  

Thanks for posting, Paul.  This is an exciting time for all Achewood fans.
Title: Book dealio
Post by: jough on July 14, 2004, 05:40:18 pm
Achewood page up at Checker Publishing:

http://www.checkerbpg.com/ache1_gn.html

Also, I noticed that this page says that Achewood is (c) and trademarked by Chris Onstad, but a quick check to the Patent and Trademark database reveals no such marks for the term "ACHEWOOD."

So if anyone wants to sue Onstad later, lay down your $385 now... ;)
Title: Book dealio
Post by: sailor on July 14, 2004, 10:48:55 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Achewood page up at Checker Publishing:

http://www.checkerbpg.com/ache1_gn.html



I'm not so sure about those sample pages. The Mark McGwire strip is one of my absolute favs, but it's kinda important that you know about LIEbot.

Ok, well i guess the rest are OK. fine. I just wish SOMEBODY had the rad chilies to sample "Ching-Chong Wing-Wong."

PLAN OF ACTION!!!:
What we all should do is politely request, several times, copies of the book, at every bookstore/comic shop/place that might sell some books, in all of our various locales, across the country and overseas. This way, we reward 'stad by building yr basic grassroots MLM thangy. DO YOUR DUTY TO 'STAD AND YOUR COUNTRY.

In Achewood: The Movie, Bill Murray will play the voice of Roast Beef.
Title: Book dealio
Post by: jough on July 14, 2004, 10:55:19 pm
Oh yeah, I'll get right on grassroots marketing someone else's book. :roll:
Title: Book dealio
Post by: CortJstr on July 14, 2004, 10:57:46 pm
I just realized that in the "editorial review" they call Onstad "Christ"

http://www.checkerbpg.com/ache1_review.html

Oh, and I hope this version fixes the various typesetting errors and brings back the few missing strips.
Title: Book dealio
Post by: wombat on July 14, 2004, 11:24:51 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Oh yeah, I'll get right on grassroots marketing someone else's book. :roll:


Really, now, people have been known to do such a thing for friends.  Not that I'd call someone who doesn't recognize our existence a friend. I'm just saying that in the abstract the concept does not rate a little eyerolly face.

Quote from: "CortJstr"
I just realized that in the "editorial review" they call Onstad "Christ"


Whoa, beyond fanboyish!
Title: Book dealio
Post by: AugustWest on July 15, 2004, 04:01:13 am
Quote from: "sailor"
DO YOUR DUTY TO 'STAD AND YOUR COUNTRY.

In Achewood: The Movie, Bill Murray will play the voice of Roast Beef.


Boy Scout!

Also, I'm shamelessly stealing your movie casting idea to start a new thread.
Title: Book dealio
Post by: sailor on July 15, 2004, 10:49:08 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Oh yeah, I'll get right on grassroots marketing someone else's book. :roll:


I see it as more akin to telling people about your friend's rad band or something. I've LOL'd my ass off so many times to free-as-hell Achewood, as I'm sure almost all y'all have, I just feel like helping a guy out. I don't want 'stad to have any other work to do except for being funny. (And maybe a cable cooking show or something.)
Title: Book dealio
Post by: andalucia on July 18, 2004, 06:08:22 pm
Things got scary and different when I went away.
Now I am all expecting to get off the train in my home town and it will be a smoking crater and no one will have told me.
Title: Book dealio
Post by: V-Adore on July 18, 2004, 08:43:08 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Things got scary and different when I went away.
Now I am all expecting to get off the train in my home town and it will be a smoking crater and no one will have told me.

And you will have to agree to let No-No commit the murder act on you to send you back to French camp?
Title: Book dealio
Post by: Noah on July 18, 2004, 10:23:56 pm
Coolest cover design ever. (http://www.checkerbpg.com/images/ache11_lg.jpg)
Title: Book dealio
Post by: Golfhaus on July 18, 2004, 10:36:25 pm
I'm still trying to figure out how Ray manages to get the shirt tucked into the thong without it coming out the other side...
Title: Book dealio
Post by: jough on July 19, 2004, 01:52:59 am
Quote from: "Noah"
Coolest cover design ever. (http://www.checkerbpg.com/images/ache11_lg.jpg)


You think?  I'm wondering how much of a draw that cover will have if you don't know who Ray is.  Still, it could have been a horrible pastiche of all of the Achewood characters looking all goofy and such, like say:

(http://achewood.plagiarist.com/templates/subSilver/images/achewood.gif)
Title: Book dealio
Post by: Noah on July 19, 2004, 03:03:59 am
Quote from: "jough"
I'm wondering how much of a draw that cover will have if you don't know who Ray is.


Dude, what has more draw that a cat wearing a thong, a suit, and glasses, while standing on its hind legs, and talking on a cell phone? If I saw that at a book store I'd buy it in an instant.
Title: Book dealio
Post by: Bozack on July 19, 2004, 05:03:02 am
Quote from: "Noah"
If I saw that at a book store I'd buy it in an instant.


....I just might bone it.
Title: Book dealio
Post by: agnes on August 04, 2004, 07:06:47 pm
Does anyone know what exactly will be in the new book? I was hoping for a big fat Achewood Omnibus Blowout but from what I can tell it's just the stuff from Vol. 1..?
Title: Book dealio
Post by: CortJstr on August 04, 2004, 07:33:10 pm
Quote from: "agnes"
Does anyone know what exactly will be in the new book? I was hoping for a big fat Achewood Omnibus Blowout but from what I can tell it's just the stuff from Vol. 1..?

Nobody knows. I hope it at least has the few strips that went missing from Vol. 1.
Title: Book dealio
Post by: jough on August 04, 2004, 07:44:18 pm
Well, Onstad has three volumes out that he had made at Kinkos or somewhere.

He has a two book deal, so maybe Vols. 1 and 2 will encompass more than just the first self-published volume, since that was a bit brief.

Hard to say.  I guess we'll find out.

I have the Onstad books but I'll probably pick up the new book to help a brotha out.
Title: Book dealio
Post by: V-Adore on August 04, 2004, 11:27:29 pm
I'll probably buy the "real" books, but if they're just reprints of the volumes I already own, I'll be a little irritated. Sigh.