The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: AugustWest on July 15, 2004, 04:07:56 am

Title: Cast the Achewood Movie
Post by: AugustWest on July 15, 2004, 04:07:56 am
Quote from: "sailor"

In Achewood: The Movie, Bill Murray will play the voice of Roast Beef


Well, what about it?  Please do not be fettered by temporal constraints.  If you think Lyle would best be portrait by Karl Malden in 1963, by all means say so.
Title: Cast the Achewood Movie
Post by: Choop on July 15, 2004, 04:39:19 am
Bill Murray is forever barred from taking part in anything Achewood solely by whoring it up as Garfield.

God, I love these topics. I'm going for voice-plus-physicality; I can't separate actors' voices from their persons very easily, though I can easily see any actor in most any role.

Instead of Bill Murray's, Roast Beef should have Jason Bateman's voice, gone damn-near monotone with a perfect touch of angst. I always hear it in the upper tenor range.

Ray: Sorry, Will Ferrell is the best I can come up with, though he'd totally cheese it out. Ray's just Ray, you know?
Pat: Kevin McDonald (http://images.google.com/images?q=Kevin%20McDonald) does dickhead really well
Lyle: Dietrich Bader (http://images.google.com/images?q=Dietrich%20Bader) - remember him in Office Space?
Teodor: Steve Carel (http://images.google.com/images?q=Steve%20Carel) is Produce Pete
Mr. Bear: Kyle Gass (http://images.google.com/images?q=Kyle%20Gass) would bee a hoot
Liebot: Norm Macdonald (http://images.google.com/images?q=Norm%20Macdonald) or Brian Posehn (http://images.google.com/images?q=Brian%20Posehn)
Vlad: Ali G
Chucklebot: err... Nathan Lane? [/shudder]

Phillippe is, sad to say, practically uncastable. Adults never sound like children when voicing children (exception which proves the rule: Yeardley Smith as Lisa Simpson), and children would be to easily scarred by any subject matter.

I'm leaving Molly off the list too because she, like Ray, is such her own character, voice and all, that it's impossible to come up with the right actor for her.

Now, I'm not saying this cast would put any seats in the house. In fact, it'd bomb faster than Al Queda at a Bush family reunion. I'm just sayin' that's who I hear.
Title: Cast the Achewood Movie
Post by: jough on July 15, 2004, 04:42:03 am
I posted a thread about this on the old Dumbrella board, and while I will not CortJstr it, I'm sure it's still there, and I stand by my earlier choices.

Amen.
Title: Cast the Achewood Movie
Post by: V-Adore on July 15, 2004, 06:33:54 am
For some reason I picture Ray as Isaac Hayes. Maybe it's just his vocabulary?
Title: Cast the Achewood Movie
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 15, 2004, 01:01:52 pm
I've always imagined Ray as having a voice like Scatman Crothers.
Title: Cast the Achewood Movie
Post by: jough on July 15, 2004, 07:05:58 pm
For some reason I can't look beyond Page 1 in the old Dumbrella board.

Okay, I will RE-THINK this, using only living actors so the movie could actually get made:

Ray: Samuel L. Jackson
Roast Beef: Kadeem Hardison
Pat: Giancarlo Esposito
Molly: Winona Ryder
Mr. Bear: John Cleese
Lyle: Jack Black
Philippe: Haley Joel Osment
Teodor: John Cusak
Lie Bot: Ben Stiller
Vlad: Ali G
Chucklebot: Nathan Lane
Todd: Jason Mewes
BLISTER: Breckin Meyer
Sock Monkey: Dave Chapelle
Nice Pete: John Malkovich
Onstad's Shoe: Peter O'Toole

(please note that up until a week ago I would have had Brando play Onstad's shoe - RIP Marlon)

P.S.

I did not read the above posts before I posted my picks - so I did not know that Vlad and Chucklebot were already picked by someone else - but I think it is telling that my picks were the same - so it must be casting kismet.

Some actors were just born to play certain roles.
Title: Cast the Achewood Movie
Post by: wombat on July 15, 2004, 08:29:42 pm
I was sure that the only post I'd be able to make to this thread would be "this thread makes me feel so ignorant."

But no.  Winona Ryder as Molly?  No way.  I don't know who else, but that seems all wrong.
Title: Cast the Achewood Movie
Post by: Choop on July 15, 2004, 08:38:42 pm
New, updated, extreem choice for Chucklebot: Eddie Izzard

Jough, Giancarlo Esposito is a stroke of genius for Pat.
Title: Cast the Achewood Movie
Post by: jough on July 15, 2004, 10:12:32 pm
Quote from: "Choopernickel"

Jough, Giancarlo Esposito is a stroke of genius for Pat.


Thanks.  I was thinking specifically of how much "Buggin Out" from Do the Right Thing is so Pat like.

That, and I see all of the cats in Achewood as being people of colour.
Title: Cast the Achewood Movie
Post by: linnea on July 15, 2004, 11:03:54 pm
Man, I need to see more films.

Jough, John Cleese is GREAT for Mr. Bear.  Hee! Incidentally, it is JOHN CLEESE'S fault that I can never take Emperor Constantine seriously. When I was in an art history class in college, there was a famous bust carved of Constantine. And he looks EXACTLY like John Cleese.

Hang on a sec... I must google for a picture. It's classic.

There we go! Here is a picture montage that I made with the help of my pal, THE INTERNET:

(http://home.comcast.net/~linnea78/images/cleese.gif)
Title: Cast the Achewood Movie
Post by: sailor on July 15, 2004, 11:09:04 pm
When i said : "In Achewood: The Movie, Bill Murray will play the voice of Roast Beef" i was basically saying "Wouldn't it be fucked up if Achewood got all huge and massmarketed and 'stad just quit trying and cleaned up all the dilougue, etc., and achieved syndication in every goddamned paper in the country and then took a huge chunk of cash from some dumbass studio so they could make a shitty live action/CGI Achewood movie and then i had to get all pissed at my absolute favorite actor/comedian because he lowered himself to the job of Roast Beef's voice?"

all dumb little raver mall girls buying little sparkley Phillipes at Hot Topic to hang from thier backpacks...

I'm just sayin'.

Jough said: That, and I see all of the cats in Achewood as being people of colour.

I see Beef and Pat as white as white-out. And Ray the classic white dude who wants to be a black dude, i.e. Eminem.
Title: Cast the Achewood Movie
Post by: St_Zartan on July 16, 2004, 01:01:57 am
I always heard Vlad's voice as sounding like Martin Landau in Ed Wood (when not all strung-out and dying). Compare:

No one gives two fucks for Bela!

and

Pierogi at Vlad's? Not a chance!
Title: Cast the Achewood Movie
Post by: miles on July 16, 2004, 07:04:50 am
Quote from: "jough"
Philippe: Haley Joel Osment


I think this young man is probably on the fast track to puberty, so Onstad better start busting his ass.  I don't think of Philippe's voice as a teenage voice, unless of course he's saying something like  "Huh. Whatever, fag." (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=08012003)  Who would portray that aspect's of Philippe's life?
Title: Cast the Achewood Movie
Post by: arkabee on July 16, 2004, 01:48:10 pm
Quote from: "miles"

 I don't think of Philippe's voice as a teenage voice, unless of course he's saying something like  "Huh. Whatever, fag." (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=08012003)  Who would portray that aspect's of Philippe's life?


mcauley culkin?
Title: Cast the Achewood Movie
Post by: jough on July 16, 2004, 04:11:34 pm
You know, I was thinking: if Tom Green could play it kinda straight, I think he would be an excellent Philippe.

HERE COMES A SPECIAL BOY

Just imagine Tom Green shouting this over and over.
Title: Cast the Achewood Movie
Post by: Limmo on July 16, 2004, 05:18:11 pm
A stab.

Ray: Tom Waits ( and some trucker speed )
Roast Beef: Mike White
Pat: David Hyde Pierce
Teodor: Vince Vaughan
Mr. Bear: Jeremy Irons
Phillippe: Joey Lauren Adams (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000725/)
LieBot: Adam West ( just to hear him say "if you don't believe me, you can read the liner notes to Rubber Soul" )
Lyle: Henry Rollins
Molly: Liv Tyler
Vlad: Ed O'Ross ( played Nikolai in Six Feet Under )
Chucklebot: Rip Taylor
Todd: Chris Rock ( and some trucker speed )
Nice Pete: Bill Paxton
Lazarus: Paul Newman
Leopold: Patrick Stewart
Title: Cast the Achewood Movie
Post by: miles on July 17, 2004, 04:17:51 am
Quote from: "jough"
Nice Pete: John Malkovich


When Pat and Nice Pete were in the slammer (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=04032003), I would read Pete's lines in my head in the voice of Christopher Walken.  Particularly this gem:

"Oh I know what you're thinkin Pat / Is he gonna kill me too / The answer is I don't know / Killin' is a special thing / It's a special thing you do when you want someone to die."

In my mind, the intonation, the pacing, everything was spot on.  It reminded me of my two favorite Walken scenes, his conversation with Alvy Singer in Annie Hall, and when he was telling Butch about the watch in Pulp Fiction.

John Malkovich would work nicely too.
Title: Cast the Achewood Movie
Post by: Noah on July 17, 2004, 05:51:24 am
Quote from: "miles"
When Pat and Nice Pete were in the slammer (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=04032003), I would read Pete's lines in my head in the voice of Christopher Walken.  Particularly this gem...


Dude, you're RIGHT. That didn't sound right until I read it in my head with Walken's voice. It works perfectly.
Title: Cast the Achewood Movie
Post by: jough on July 17, 2004, 06:19:25 am
Some more casting thoughts, for an "Indie Cred" Achewood movie:

Nice Pete: Steve Buschemi
Teodor: Ron Livingston
Roast Beef: Eddie Jemison
Lie Bot: Jason Lee
Molly: Audrey Tautou
Ultra Peanut: Parker Posey
Philippe's Mom: Maggie Gyllanhaal
Ray: Mario Van Peeples
Title: Cast the Achewood Movie
Post by: andalucia on July 18, 2004, 06:11:59 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Some more casting thoughts, for an "Indie Cred" Achewood movie:

Nice Pete: Steve Buschemi
Teodor: Ron Livingston
Roast Beef: Eddie Jemison
Lie Bot: Jason Lee
Molly: Audrey Tautou
Ultra Peanut: Parker Posey
Philippe's Mom: Maggie Gyllanhaal
Ray: Mario Van Peeples


Well, I do believe that Steve Buscemi should be in all movies, though he practically is, but I hate Audrey Tatou with a nuclear passion, renewed after I watched "L'auberge espanol" last week.