The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: V-Adore on July 21, 2004, 07:14:42 pm
-
(Split into its own topic for polling goodness and sticked for now so people will see it.)
VADORE THIS THREAD IS fuck*ng HUGE AND I CANT NAVIGATE THROUGH IT AT ALL AND YOUR MODDING IS JUST COMPRESSING ALL COMMENTS INTO IT AND MAKING IT WORSE.
I think this is the first time I have been screamed at in ALL CAPS about my modding ability. I feel vaguely honored.
Anyway, this is a point: do people want the blog topic split off into different threads based on characters/event chains and such? I'm willing to do it if people really think it's necessary.
(Then again, this may end up being August's call, as I'm going to Beautiful Pigeon Forge, TN as of tonight and will spend a long weekend "hanging" with my "peeps" and possibly "being photographed in a Sanryobuki shirt in an embarrassing location.") (I will be in an embarrassing location wearing the shirt; the shirt will not be in an embarrassing location, except in that I will be wearing it. Where I normally wear a shirt, i.e. on my torso.) (I hope that clarifies.)
-
I haven't even started reading it or the blogs as both seem like far too much worth. Poll: Is it worth my VIP time?
-
I haven't even started reading it or the blogs as both seem like far too much worth. Poll: Is it worth my VIP time?
YES, goddammit! What kind of Achehead fangirl are you?
-
I agree it should be split but can't think of a good splitting scheme. By date would result in lots of threadlettes and by character would force cross-posting.
Andalucia, yes. I was skeptical at first and only checked them occasionally but they've won me over. Once you catch up it's very easy to keep up. He only seems to write 3 or 4 entries a day between the 11 blogs. And if you have any kind of RSS set-up it can tell you which 4 so you don't waste time trying to get blogspot to load.
-
I agree it should be split but can't think of a good splitting scheme. By date would result in lots of threadlettes and by character would force cross-posting.
I was wondering about this too. My first impulse is "by character, with possible new threads for long multi-character event chains like the Risotto War and Ray's pool troubles," but I'm open to ideas, especially since it seems like right now there's a strong vote to split.
And yes, Andalucia, the blogs are worth your time. The topic may or may not be, but at least give the blogs a spin.
-
No. The blogs are so cross-referenced that it is silly to have different threads for each one.
-
No and no. There is no way to split this topic that would make any sense. I don't really understand the problem. The blog thread is just a thread that follows the drama of the blogs. Yes, it will be a long, on-going thread. Is this going to ruin the Internet for everyone in some manner I am not aware of?
-
I was thinking that a thread for each blog would be good, but the beauty of the blogs is their cross-referencing each other.
I mean, the beauty of the Teodor/Onstad Risotto Wars (and who coined that term here? It doesn't appear in any of the blogs) was capped off yesterday by an entry in Philippe's blog. Wonderful.
I finally caught up with them and will use Cort's idea of Sage as it pulls up the RSS feeds very nicely. That makes them all easy to read.
I don't really know how to organise this, though.
THIS IS WHY YOU ARE THE MODS.
Now I'm going to make a cucumber sandwich.
-
I don't really see the problem with a long-ass, 6-page + thread. Usually I just go to the last page and see what's been added since I last saw. It's not like I'm searching through the source material looking for the Bible Code or anything.
-
Okay, here's my current proposition for splitting if there is such a split, pending comments and August's input as co-mod:
1) The topic will be split into sub-topics based on character: "Ray's Blog," "Molly's Blog," etc.
2) In the case of particularly intertwined storylines (the Risotto War, Ray's pool travails, etc.), new subtopics may be spawned/split just for discussion of those storylines.
3) However, because of the deep interconnectedness of the blogs, discussion of general blog-related issues connected to that character will be considered on-topic. For example, while a separate topic would be split for the Risotto War, discussion of the various Risotto War entries would be appropriate in the "Teodor's Blog," "Onstad's Blog," and "Philippe's Blog" topics.
4) General blog discussion and posts about the blogs as a whole (or about many characters) will remain in the original "Achewood Character Blogs" topic, and that topic will remain open to discussion.
The point of this is to make things easier to follow, not to artificially retard discussion of an interesting intertwined Achewood development. If we all can stay cool, I don't think it's necessary to keep even separate topics absolutely segregated from one another.
(N.B. to Doomglobe: the more you scream at me in all-caps about being a shitty mod, the less likely I am to do any of this. Just so you know.)
-
I don't really see the problem with a long-ass, 6-page + thread. Usually I just go to the last page and see what's been added since I last saw. It's not like I'm searching through the source material looking for the Bible Code or anything.
Well, I think the initial concern came from a poster who doesn't keep day-to-day track of the boards and thus was a little intimidated by the thread length. I agree that, if you read daily or every-other-day, keeping up with even a long thread is no problem, but I'm still considering working with this.
-
I was thinking that a thread for each blog would be good, but the beauty of the blogs is their cross-referencing each other.
I mean, the beauty of the Teodor/Onstad Risotto Wars (and who coined that term here? It doesn't appear in any of the blogs) was capped off yesterday by an entry in Philippe's blog. Wonderful.
I finally caught up with them and will use Cort's idea of Sage as it pulls up the RSS feeds very nicely. That makes them all easy to read.
It was wombat (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?p=21418#21418)
I'll warn you that for some reason Sage cuts off LN's blog after a couple sentences but shows the full text of everybody else's for reasons I can't explain.
I've also started using Sage to keep up with parts of the Wash Post
-
Ooo, I've been personally CortJstr'd. How extremely cool.
-
Ooo, I've been personally CortJstr'd. How extremely cool.
So it was good for you, baby?
</Leisure Suit Larry>
-
I'm tending toward favoring the single thread for all the blogs option. I view them as parts of a unified whole, so discussing them separately doesn't really make sense.
However, to promote ease of use and generally simplify things how about this -- weekly blog threads, vis. Blogs Week of 7/19. That way we don't have mammoth threads, yet we retain the organic connectedness of the collective blog entity.
Also, please allow me to say that I am PISSED at having to mod to this extent. This is getting to be like work, dammit!
Your laissez-faire pal,
August
-
Excellent idea, I think.
For maximum laissez-faireness, we could just start this from the next week -- i.e. we leave all current posts where they are, and then on Monday someone starts Blogs 26/7 or whatever.
-
Excellent idea, I think.
For maximum laissez-faireness, we could just start this from the next week -- i.e. we leave all current posts where they are, and then on Monday someone starts Blogs 26/7 or whatever.
Just a general suggestion here, but if we're going to use european dates can we spell out the month so we don't confuse new people? Like 26-Jul or something? I'm constantly surprised by the number of people who have no idea that american dates are "backwards"
-
I'm for splitting it into weeks. If necessary, you can always reference the previous week in your post.
I think by character would be too crazy.
-
I'm a big supporter of splitting into threads by character, with special threads for crossovers. The date thing doesn't work for those of us who a) don't read all the blogs and/or b) haven't got a memory for dates (I won't have a clue based on a date what the thread's content is). Of course, I imagine character threads might lead to a great deal of painful mod'ing when threads collide though.
-
I'm a big supporter of splitting into threads by character, with special threads for crossovers. The date thing doesn't work for those of us who a) don't read all the blogs and/or b) haven't got a memory for dates (I won't have a clue based on a date what the thread's content is). Of course, I imagine character threads might lead to a great deal of painful mod'ing when threads collide though.
Plus wouldn't certain character's threads eventually just get to be a dozen pages long and bring us right back to where we are now? We hardly discuss LN but Philippe/Ray/Beef threads would easily get that long.
I think Blogs: Week of (Monday) is the best idea yet.
-
I'm a big supporter of splitting into threads by character, with special threads for crossovers. The date thing doesn't work for those of us who a) don't read all the blogs and/or b) haven't got a memory for dates (I won't have a clue based on a date what the thread's content is). Of course, I imagine character threads might lead to a great deal of painful mod'ing when threads collide though.
How's about this: We could do the date (Week of July 11-18) and then have a quick capsule description. Ergo:
Blogs, Week of July 11-18: Risotto Wars Conclusion, Krazy Pool Cont.
There would be a problem about blog happenings during the week, but on Sunday someone could just post a thread titled "Current Blog Week," and then, on the eve of next Saturday, it could just be retitled with "Week Of Whatever, Stuff Happened."
Eh? Eh?
-
I think this is the first time I have been screamed at in ALL CAPS about my modding ability. I feel vaguely honored.
I dont use ALL CAPS for just anyone. You should feel honored.
anyway, why dont we split it into actual topics? like talking about what the hell pat is gonna do to that poor mailman tomorrow could be a thread, and people who want to talk about that go to that thread and talk about that, and then the risotto wars go in a thread... It is sort of the way that every forum everywhere is organized. You dont have to start a new topic for every post, or week, or comic, because the actual subject matter does not change. That way, you also get rid of posts like 'first post, I win the game' (after sitting up all night refreshing), and then dont actually write anything interresting.
Most of the people who post on this board have common sense, and I dont think it would wind up organizing itself.
-
Why don't we just make a thread for every blog POST and talk about it there.
The original poster could put a link to the permalink to that entry so that anyone could click on it, read the entry, and then talk about it in that thread?
-
Why don't we just make a thread for every blog POST and talk about it there.
The original poster could put a link to the permalink to that entry so that anyone could click on it, read the entry, and then talk about it in that thread?
Seconded.
After all, how long will it be til' Onstad tires of the blog thing and stops updating at all anyway?
-
i think a blog mini-forum would work. like, someone could post a thread about anything post-worthy. like today:
Tiny pussy - 22/07
etc
-
Why don't we just make a thread for every blog POST and talk about it there.
The original poster could put a link to the permalink to that entry so that anyone could click on it, read the entry, and then talk about it in that thread?
I'm OK with this as long as it is generally accepted that you don't start a thread about a blog post unless you have something to *say* about it.
Unlike the strip threads, which are often F5ing contests. That doesn't bother me, somehow.
-
Unlike the strip threads, which are often F5ing contests. That doesn't bother me, somehow.
You verbed F5. This is awesome.
Although if you have Firefox it'll refresh for you, baby! It's the only way to post-whore!
-
I love it that we can have a two page thread about what threads to have.
Carry on.
-
GODDAMNIT PEOPLE.
The blog stuff is fine the way it is. If you want to discuss current blog action, go to the latest blog thread page or two. It is that simple. "But, oh, i don't read the blogs everyday, blah, blah..." Well then deal. This is a message board, not the line at the food bank. If you feel the need to post about every little thing and it is THAT important to you, then bite the bullet and read the freakin' blog everyday and post about it here. I don't know why anybody sees having 18 diffeerent blog threads as easier than having one.
WHAT YOU ALL NEED MORE OF IS SCIENCE.
-
You verbed F5. This is awesome.
(http://www.wwekoreashop.com/Up/Goods_Big/F5T.gif)
-
You verbed F5. This is awesome.
(http://www.wwekoreashop.com/Up/Goods_Big/F5T.gif)
It is less awesome in gerundial form, though.
LET'S FACE IT
-
Okay, now that I'm back from vacation and considering my modly responsibilities again:
I think a thread for each post would be good -- if and only if there was a specific mini-forum dedicated to the blogs. Otherwise, I fear that it's going to get very cluttered in here very fast.
Honestly, I think the consolidated "talk about everything Achewood-related here" forum only works when there's a relatively narrow band of Achewood content coming out -- the daily strips, say, plus an occasional Ray's Place/Serializer installment/Freezepop shout-out/merchandising change/whatever. Now that there's an apparently-regular source of entirely new daily content worthy of discussion, I really worry that the forum will get overloaded with tiny topics, especially since not all blog entries are worthy of threads with more than five posts.
In other words, if we're going to to threadlets for every post, I want them to have their own forum.
Posts by week seem to be totally reasonable, though -- it's a good blend of "readable," "discussion-friendly," and "not forum-cluttering."
-
I think that a thread for each post would be just as ridiculous as a single thread, or even more so. the only reason people should be starting a new thread is if there is no current thread available to discuss the topic they want to talk about. Watch. I am gonna start a thread to try to decipher lil' nephew's slang, and then someone else will start one when something else comes up that they want to discuss, but isnt the current topic of the blog thread. the blog thread will eventually die, as it was created to discuss whether or not the blogs would last. The new discussion of the blogs will be a set of seven (at most) smaller threads which stay on topic and are interresting to read. as new topics come up, the old ones will die. It is sort of like how the achewood forum used to work on dumbrella.
-
Thank you to August for modly action! De-stickying this now, as it appears to have served its purpose.
-
A moderator is me!