The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Bozack on July 23, 2004, 11:55:31 am

Title: "It Seemed To Give Him Energy."- 23/7/04
Post by: Bozack on July 23, 2004, 11:55:31 am
The last panel is CLASSIC RAY. And is it just me, or does Teodor look doped in panel 3?
Title: "It Seemed To Give Him Energy."- 23/7/04
Post by: AugustWest on July 23, 2004, 12:51:10 pm
I would have titled this thread "What the Damn Hell!"

Still marvelling over the irony of Lyle cutting hair.
Title: "It Seemed To Give Him Energy."- 23/7/04
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 23, 2004, 01:12:57 pm
NICE.  Best strip all week.
Title: "It Seemed To Give Him Energy."- 23/7/04
Post by: CortJstr on July 23, 2004, 01:14:54 pm
"You don't cut dry hair, dude." Because that is exactly the question that Ray was asking. Nice.
Title: "It Seemed To Give Him Energy."- 23/7/04
Post by: AugustWest on July 23, 2004, 01:28:27 pm
I like Teodor's expression in the 3d panel.  It's just the right mix of bemusement and "WTF is Ray going on about now".
Title: "It Seemed To Give Him Energy."- 23/7/04
Post by: MSC on July 23, 2004, 01:44:42 pm
Four Great Things:

1.  Teodor's look in panel #3...so sad to have the shampoo interrupted.

2.  "Nugget" magazine.  

3.  "It seemed to give him energy."

4.  Ray's angry look.

Bonus Thing:  Lyle and Ray are obviously missing Lyle's true calling...opening a damn barber shop.
Title: "It Seemed To Give Him Energy."- 23/7/04
Post by: side_show on July 23, 2004, 03:11:16 pm
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
NICE.  Best strip all week.


Agreed.  I laughed out loud, then realized my office door was opened.  I love it when the alt. text blatently explains exactly what had just happened.  I don't know why, but it makes me laugh every time.

Sadly, I had a little Taco Bell for lunch yesterday, and only after I took a bite did I think of SaniTaco.  It made the whole experince kind of gross, but damned if I didn't eat it anyway!
Title: "It Seemed To Give Him Energy."- 23/7/04
Post by: CortJstr on July 23, 2004, 04:07:51 pm
Quote from: "side_show"
I love it when the alt. text blatently explains exactly what had just happened.  I don't know why, but it makes me laugh every time.

I love the clinical feel it gives the strip. Like you're watching a Discovery show on Achewood. The little thing that makes them is that they always just say "the cat" or "the otter" instead of using names.
Title: "It Seemed To Give Him Energy."- 23/7/04
Post by: Formica on July 23, 2004, 04:22:46 pm
Quote from: "MSC"
Bonus Thing:  Lyle and Ray are obviously missing Lyle's true calling...opening a damn barber shop.


I would actually say this is the best thing. Lyle is obviously a talented hairstylist, AND he's not afraid to exercise his skills, cementing his position as Achewood's alpha male.

He could be pulling down mad scrill.
Title: "It Seemed To Give Him Energy."- 23/7/04
Post by: side_show on July 23, 2004, 04:39:21 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"

I love the clinical feel it gives the strip. Like you're watching a Discovery show on Achewood. The little thing that makes them is that they always just say "the cat" or "the otter" instead of using names.


Ah ha!  You've fallen into the trap too!  You wrote "they always say" rather than "he always writes."  Nice.  A sign that things are awesome.

Quote from: "Formica"
I would actually say this is the best thing. Lyle is obviously a talented hairstylist, AND he's not afraid to exercise his skills, cementing his position as Achewood's alpha male.


Woah now.  Lyle ain't no alpha male.  It's all about Ray as far as I'm concerned.  This will so totally be followed by Ray giving the smack down.

Also, I remember Beef having good hair at one point.  Who did his hair?
Title: "It Seemed To Give Him Energy."- 23/7/04
Post by: CortJstr on July 23, 2004, 04:42:20 pm
Quote from: "side_show"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I love the clinical feel it gives the strip. Like you're watching a Discovery show on Achewood. The little thing that makes them is that they always just say "the cat" or "the otter" instead of using names.

Ah ha!  You've fallen into the trap too!  You wrote "they always say" rather than "he always writes."  Nice.  A sign that things are awesome.

Actually "they" was referring to the various alt-texts but your way works too. Besides, in storyline terms Chris doesn't write them himself.
Title: "It Seemed To Give Him Energy."- 23/7/04
Post by: side_show on July 23, 2004, 04:47:28 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "side_show"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I love the clinical feel it gives the strip. Like you're watching a Discovery show on Achewood. The little thing that makes them is that they always just say "the cat" or "the otter" instead of using names.

Ah ha!  You've fallen into the trap too!  You wrote "they always say" rather than "he always writes."  Nice.  A sign that things are awesome.

Actually "they" was referring to the various alt-texts but your way works too. Besides, in storyline terms Chris doesn't write them himself.


Oops! You're right.  

But really, I just wanted to interject "a sign that things are awesome" into the thread.  I was just thinking as I was driving to my office today that things are just so awesome.  I was in my car, thinking how weird it was that I was happy to be going into work, and liking my job.  Then I told myself "this is a sign that things are awesome," and then I got here and the strip pleased me so.  It pleased me so.
Title: "It Seemed To Give Him Energy."- 23/7/04
Post by: palm trees on July 23, 2004, 05:40:46 pm
a SaniTaco t-shirt would be possibly the best piece of merchandise that onstad could ever sell.

much better than those new ray + nice pete designs grumble
Title: "It Seemed To Give Him Energy."- 23/7/04
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on July 23, 2004, 05:46:14 pm
Quote from: "palm trees doth writ doth writ"
a SaniTaco t-shirt would be possibly the best piece of merchandise that onstad could ever sell.


Other than the tacos themselves, obviously.
Title: "It Seemed To Give Him Energy."- 23/7/04
Post by: Gimpson on July 23, 2004, 06:11:00 pm
Quote from: "side_show"
But really, I just wanted to interject "a sign that things are awesome" into the thread.  I was just thinking as I was driving to my office today that things are just so awesome.  I was in my car, thinking how weird it was that I was happy to be going into work, and liking my job.  Then I told myself "this is a sign that things are awesome," and then I got here and the strip pleased me so.  It pleased me so.


Say, are you all split on green?
Title: "It Seemed To Give Him Energy."- 23/7/04
Post by: jough on July 23, 2004, 06:43:14 pm
Call me a cynic, but the only reason there's even a SaniTaco in the strip is to sell t-shirts with the logo on them.
Title: "It Seemed To Give Him Energy."- 23/7/04
Post by: Formica on July 23, 2004, 07:06:18 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Call me a cynic, but the only reason there's even a SaniTaco in the strip is to sell t-shirts with the logo on them.

You're a cynic. Not that it's a bad thing, of course.

Quote from: "side_show"
Woah now. Lyle ain't no alpha male. It's all about Ray as far as I'm concerned. This will so totally be followed by Ray giving the smack down.

Sorry, but there is no way I can see Ray kicking Lyle's ass. Yeah, sure, Ray is now Diamond Ray Smuckles, with the Achewood police wrapped around his finger and a multiplatinum album, etc etc... but Lyle would tear him a new asshole without even breaking a sweat. And Ray knows it.

I'm going for the more primal, strongest-gets-to-reproduce angle, I guess.

edited due to incorrectly attributing side_show's quotation
Title: "It Seemed To Give Him Energy."- 23/7/04
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on July 23, 2004, 07:53:35 pm
Lyle totally fights dirty, too.
Title: "It Seemed To Give Him Energy."- 23/7/04
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 23, 2004, 07:56:48 pm
Quote from: "the alt-text says:"
Ray is so pissed that Lyle sent disparaging erotic fiction to Nugget magazine


What?!  LYLE sent in that letter?  It's not from the lady involved?  I am stunned.

"Dear Penthouse Forum, I never thought I'd be sending a letter like this, but..."
Title: "It Seemed To Give Him Energy."- 23/7/04
Post by: Steve Hogan on July 23, 2004, 08:00:39 pm
Quote from: "palm trees"
a SaniTaco t-shirt would be possibly the best piece of merchandise that onstad could ever sell.



I dunno.  A SaniTaco urban sombrero might trump that.
Title: "It Seemed To Give Him Energy."- 23/7/04
Post by: sailor on July 23, 2004, 09:33:41 pm
Quote from: "palm trees"

much better than those new ray + nice pete designs grumble


Just yesterday i was thinking "For one funny dude, 'stad sure lacks hella savvy 'bout makin' shirt designs." The best one ever was a DIY design, on display here-ish. (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?t=1171) "Phillipe is standing on it." Simple. Beautiful. And a Sani Taco shirt would be rad especially if it didn't scream "Onstad-style design" and looked more like a true-life shitty corporate logo.

PS- also, this strip is funny. Lyle is the alpha male in the way that a large size grandfather is alpha male. It is just generally known that you just never fuck with him. Ray can be the "dad" figure, all trying to run the show, but of course lookin' like the fool he is most of the time anyway.
Title: "It Seemed To Give Him Energy."- 23/7/04
Post by: AugustWest on July 24, 2004, 01:21:22 am
Quote from: "Gimpson"
Quote from: "side_show"
But really, I just wanted to interject "a sign that things are awesome" into the thread.  I was just thinking as I was driving to my office today that things are just so awesome.  I was in my car, thinking how weird it was that I was happy to be going into work, and liking my job.  Then I told myself "this is a sign that things are awesome," and then I got here and the strip pleased me so.  It pleased me so.


Say, are you all split on green?


This is why I love this place.

Gimpson, You. Are. Rad.
Title: "It Seemed To Give Him Energy."- 23/7/04
Post by: St_Zartan on July 25, 2004, 02:43:47 pm
Quote from: "sailor"
The best one ever was a DIY design, on display here-ish. (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?t=1171) "Phillipe is standing on it." Simple. Beautiful.


That Philippe design is not so much "good" as it is "on a girl with breasts". Don't feel bad; people make this mistake so often that our entire economy is more or less based on it.

For maximum authenticity, the Sani-Taco logo would have to be embroidered on one of those humanity-sapping knit "golf shirts" with the collar and puffy little cuffs all a different color offensive to the shirt itself (c.f. any fuck*ng chain video store). They would be a complete fuck*ng failure, selling only to the habitually slumming Hipster Elite. Then we know for whom to wait in the Parking Garage, so that we may kill them with cricket bats. IT'S WIN-WIN
Title: "It Seemed To Give Him Energy."- 23/7/04
Post by: jough on July 25, 2004, 03:26:39 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Quote from: "sailor"
The best one ever was a DIY design, on display here-ish. (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?t=1171) "Phillipe is standing on it." Simple. Beautiful.


That Philippe design is not so much "good" as it is "on a girl with breasts".


I like those kind so much better than those girls without.

IT IS SOMETHING THAT EVERY MAN MUST CHOOSE FOR HIMSELF
Title: "It Seemed To Give Him Energy."- 23/7/04
Post by: wombat on July 25, 2004, 04:26:13 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
That Philippe design is not so much "good" as it is "on a girl with breasts". Don't feel bad; people make this mistake so often that our entire economy is more or less based on it.

For maximum authenticity, the Sani-Taco logo would have to be embroidered on one of those humanity-sapping knit "golf shirts" with the collar and puffy little cuffs all a different color offensive to the shirt itself (c.f. any fuck*ng chain video store). They would be a complete fuck*ng failure, selling only to the habitually slumming Hipster Elite. Then we know for whom to wait in the Parking Garage, so that we may kill them with cricket bats. IT'S WIN-WIN


Has anyone told Zart that we love him lately?
Title: "It Seemed To Give Him Energy."- 23/7/04
Post by: sailor on July 25, 2004, 09:55:33 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Quote from: "sailor"
The best one ever was a DIY design, on display here-ish. (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?t=1171) "Phillipe is standing on it." Simple. Beautiful.


That Philippe design is not so much "good" as it is "on a girl with breasts". Don't feel bad; people make this mistake so often that our entire economy is more or less based on it.



no way, dogg. I don't even like BIG breasts, i see them a hella turn-off. I like the inside-joke aspect of that design much better than anything. It could be on hairy man-tits for all i care.
Title: "It Seemed To Give Him Energy."- 23/7/04
Post by: side_show on July 26, 2004, 03:28:49 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Gimpson"
Quote from: "side_show"
But really, I just wanted to interject "a sign that things are awesome" into the thread.  I was just thinking as I was driving to my office today that things are just so awesome.  I was in my car, thinking how weird it was that I was happy to be going into work, and liking my job.  Then I told myself "this is a sign that things are awesome," and then I got here and the strip pleased me so.  It pleased me so.


Say, are you all split on green?


This is why I love this place.

Gimpson, You. Are. Rad.


Gimpson, You. Are. Indeed. Rad.

AugustWest, You. Are. Also. Rad.

Everyone, You. Are. Rad.

For the record, no I am not spliet on green, just happy.  La, la, la!
Title: "It Seemed To Give Him Energy."- 23/7/04
Post by: Bozack on July 26, 2004, 03:59:21 pm
Quote from: "sailor"
no way, dogg. I don't even like BIG breasts, i see them a hella turn-off.


Now, I like to think of myself as a breast partisan. Big, small, I loves them all! Thus, it seems odd for me to see big breasts as a "hella turn-off." But I guess most people don't see assless leather chaps as a "hella turn-on," so I guess different strokes for different folks.
Title: "It Seemed To Give Him Energy."- 23/7/04
Post by: sailor on July 26, 2004, 05:36:01 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "sailor"
no way, dogg. I don't even like BIG breasts, i see them a hella turn-off.


Now, I like to think of myself as a breast partisan. Big, small, I loves them all! Thus, it seems odd for me to see big breasts as a "hella turn-off." But I guess most people don't see assless leather chaps as a "hella turn-on," so I guess different strokes for different folks.


I think my current breast position come spartially  from A) a bad relationship with a large-breasted girl that involved lame sex and B) an awesome relationship with a small-breasted girl in which much rad sex was had.

That and big boobs are gross.
Title: "It Seemed To Give Him Energy."- 23/7/04
Post by: wombat on July 26, 2004, 10:57:39 pm
Quote from: "sailor"

That and big boobs are gross.


Could we stop wounding people's feelings for things about their appearance that they have no control over and get back to discussing the comic?  No, that would be stupid.  Could we get back to having the thread wander but in some less hurtful direction?  Thanks. Not that there's any reason that this should bother me, no no not at all.
Title: "It Seemed To Give Him Energy."- 23/7/04
Post by: jay-ell on July 27, 2004, 12:34:28 am
You know who has big boobs?  

Pregnant chicks.  

The problem is, they're all sore and heavy, so even if you would otherwise be allowed to touch them, they're suddenly off-limits.  

Because having big boobs hurts sometimes.  

So I hear.
Title: "It Seemed To Give Him Energy."- 23/7/04
Post by: AugustWest on July 27, 2004, 01:21:25 am
I like big boobs.  I like small boobs.  I like 'em all!

But you know what I really like????



I like big butts, and I do not lie!

I also like a happy, friendly forum.  So you pencil-dicks quit hurting the girls' feelings!
Title: "It Seemed To Give Him Energy."- 23/7/04
Post by: jough on July 27, 2004, 01:34:07 am
Yeah, man, boobs are great.  What man could be anti-boob?

Ladies, when it comes to your boobs, size doesn't matter.  Hey, if you can say it, we can say it.  It's just as true for us as it is when you say it.
Title: "It Seemed To Give Him Energy."- 23/7/04
Post by: sailor on July 27, 2004, 07:16:09 am
Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "sailor"

That and big boobs are gross.


Could we stop wounding people's feelings for things about their appearance that they have no control over and get back to discussing the comic?  No, that would be stupid.  Could we get back to having the thread wander but in some less hurtful direction?  Thanks. Not that there's any reason that this should bother me, no no not at all.


gladly.

I just had to defend myself from Zart being all "you just like boobs, dude."
Cos i ain't no white-hat, hummer drivin' jock boy. Nor am i some redneck, tuh-backy chewing NASCAR hick. NO I IS AIN'T!!!!!!
Title: "It Seemed To Give Him Energy."- 23/7/04
Post by: St_Zartan on July 27, 2004, 01:09:38 pm
Quote from: "sailor"
I just had to defend myself from Zart being all "you just like boobs, dude."
Cos i ain't no white-hat, hummer drivin' jock boy. Nor am i some redneck, tuh-backy chewing NASCAR hick. NO I IS AIN'T!!!!!!


Heh. I am neither of these, and yet, it's true: I just like boobs, dude (http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=457230). I am the motherfuck*ng Franklin Mint of liking boobs. NOAH'S fuck*ng ARK HERE, DUDE

The boobs are the only reason to like that "Philippe" shirt, quite frankly; that punchline, along with "Illegal Ghost Bikes" (I'm sure there are others) are not so much funny as they are handy code phrases that signify "I like Achewood enough to have memorized even its sub-par moments".

Word up. Time to get me some more Oxycontin.
Title: "It Seemed To Give Him Energy."- 23/7/04
Post by: AugustWest on July 27, 2004, 01:18:01 pm
We have clearly resolved the mammalian protuberance preference for several among us.  What more can we accomplish in this thread?