The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: jay-ell on July 26, 2004, 06:36:51 pm

Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: jay-ell on July 26, 2004, 06:36:51 pm
I guess I'll move the baby-meter into this thread, so that it doesn't annoy those who (like myself) despise graphical signatures.  

(http://lilypie.com/days/050228/0/21/0/+10/.png) (http://lilypie.com)

And, because this is *way* more exciting than a baby-meter, here are my first ultrasound pictures.  

(http://www.x-omega.com/baby1web.jpg)

The big bulge on the left is the head, the pointy thing on the right is the tail, and the dark spot in between is the heart.  Two arms, two legs, one baby.  All is well.  

(http://www.x-omega.com/baby2web.jpg)

For a short video that allows you to see the heartbeat and hear me and Pedro laughing at the doctor's jokes, click here. (http://www.x-omega.com/babybeat.avi)  (Long download.)  

How bout you, AD?  Any ultrasound pictures yet?  This is your thread, too!
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 26, 2004, 07:00:28 pm
NEWS FLASH:  Babies are cute.

(http://www.bigfool.com/elizabeth/carseat.jpg)
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: jay-ell on July 26, 2004, 07:33:04 pm
All together now:

Awwwwwwwwwwwww...
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: jough on July 26, 2004, 07:47:33 pm
That is 34.87 kinds of awesome, JL.

Seriously, that is the coolest thing I've ever seen on the internet.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: sailor on July 26, 2004, 08:10:49 pm
JL IS GOING TO GIVE BIRTH TO PHILIPPE!!!
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: jay-ell on July 26, 2004, 08:21:22 pm
Here comes a special boy or girl!  

Onstad should make maternity fashions.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: AlohaDawg on July 27, 2004, 01:43:39 am
Yes I have some and no, I probably won't be posting them. Watch for February and real-live baby pics.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: V-Adore on July 27, 2004, 03:53:26 am
Awwwwwwww!

Will get the video tomorrow.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: Bozack on July 27, 2004, 04:23:13 am
Hmmm...time for baby presents. I know JUST the thing.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: andalucia on July 27, 2004, 08:37:13 pm
Hooray for JL, Pedro, and the marvellous blurry proto-infant!
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: AlohaDawg on July 30, 2004, 12:01:20 am
Hooray for Carlos, too, that is a fine, healthy young'un.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: Limmo on August 19, 2004, 05:01:58 am
Where did JL go, anyway?
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: linnea on August 19, 2004, 03:07:36 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
Here comes a special boy or girl!  


Oh, word! Those photos are AMAZING, I have never seen ultrasounds that I could actually *read*. I cannot wait to see the video of your little one! <3 <3 <3
Title: Me too!
Post by: Va on August 19, 2004, 04:05:28 pm
jldunston, I'm preggers, too.  That ticker is just adorable.  I was using one from FertilityFriend.com but the Lilypie one is way cuter, I think.

(http://lilypie.com/days/050115/2/0/0/-6/.png) (http://lilypie.com)
Title: Re: Me too!
Post by: CortJstr on August 19, 2004, 04:30:54 pm
Quote from: "Va"
jldunston, I'm preggers, too.  That ticker is just adorable.  I was using one from FertilityFriend.com but the Lilypie one is way cuter, I think.

JL, the ante has been upped! Va was all, "oh sure your sig bar is fine but behold my belly avatar!" And JL was all, "damn! I've got served!"

JL has only one course of action available to her now. Not just a belly avatar, but an animated belly avatar.
Title: Re: Me too!
Post by: AugustWest on August 19, 2004, 04:54:23 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "Va"
jldunston, I'm preggers, too.  That ticker is just adorable.  I was using one from FertilityFriend.com but the Lilypie one is way cuter, I think.

JL, the ante has been upped! Va was all, "oh sure your sig bar is fine but behold my belly avatar!" And JL was all, "damn! I've got served!"

JL has only one course of action available to her now. Not just a belly avatar, but an animated belly avatar.


PWNT!
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: St_Zartan on August 19, 2004, 06:16:53 pm
Y'all making the pregnancy-centric avatars, animated or otherwise, had better slap a big old red MS Paint "BABY INSIDE --->" notice on there, so people who are just visiting don't confuse us with this fun and (ahem) well-balanced bunch (http://www.gainrweb.com/).
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: side_show on August 19, 2004, 06:25:09 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Y'all making the pregnancy-centric avatars, animated or otherwise, had better slap a big old red MS Paint "BABY INSIDE --->" notice on there, so people who are just visiting don't confuse us with this fun and (ahem) well-balanced bunch (http://www.gainrweb.com/).


Question:  WHY IN THE HELL DO YOU KNOW ABOUT THIS?  This is not the sort of site one stumbles upon by accident.  I've seen it, now I can't unsee it.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: St_Zartan on August 19, 2004, 06:35:40 pm
Quote from: "side_show"
Question:  WHY IN THE HELL DO YOU KNOW ABOUT THIS?  This is not the sort of site one stumbles upon by accident.  I've seen it, now I can't unsee it.


Yeah, sorry about that.

You would be horrified to discover what one can stumble upon by accident. I blame near-contant exposure to the Internet for almost ten years and regular, capricious, and occasionally drunken use of search engines.

Yeah, go on. There are twisted little people all over the world devoting the better part of their lives to cranking out all this wonderful content, and they are squirming in their seats with delight at the idea that you may, one day, stumble upon it.

Also: congratulations to all anticipating a Blessed Event.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: Va on August 19, 2004, 06:49:51 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Y'all making the pregnancy-centric avatars, animated or otherwise, had better slap a big old red MS Paint "BABY INSIDE --->" notice on there


No.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: AugustWest on August 19, 2004, 06:52:29 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
and occasionally drunken use of search engines.


Occasionally?
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: Bozack on August 19, 2004, 07:14:26 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Also: congratulations to all anticipating a Blessed Event.


He has to end his post about naked fat dude pictures with a congrats, because the dude is classy.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: jough on August 19, 2004, 08:53:22 pm
I'm still deciding on whether to allow pregnant gut avatars.

I mean, I'm all for AS MUCH NUDITY AS THE LAW ALLOWS in avatar useage provided it is attractive nudity (i.e. what Jough likes) but I don't know - right now it's kinda cute but 100 days from now we're all going to be such as "Ew. Gross." So perhaps it is better to nip it in the bud ASAP.

I'll let the kids weigh in on the issue before I lay the perfunctory SMACK-DOWN on't.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: Va on August 19, 2004, 09:02:01 pm
The pregnancy has also made my rack truly impressive.  Is that the kind of nudity Jough likes?  Or maybe you just HATE BABIES!
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: slink on August 19, 2004, 09:20:44 pm
Quote from: "Va"
Or maybe you just HATE BABIES!


Well, I wouldn't doubt that.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: jough on August 19, 2004, 10:30:23 pm
I like babies, but I have to put some katsup on them first because otherwise their little flesh is a bit gamey.

Anyway, yeah, a big milk-swollen rack could be kinda unpleasant, too, but I'd prefer that to the "if this thing had teeth it would totally be biting its way out à la Alien right about now" avatar.

I'm just saying.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: Bozack on August 19, 2004, 10:47:20 pm
Well, there goes MY appreciation for the magical wonder of birth.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: Va on August 20, 2004, 02:39:36 pm
I do have an ultrasound photo in which my baby totally looks like an alien monster (http://www.posdef.net/node/view/27).
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: andalucia on August 20, 2004, 04:43:37 pm
Quote from: "Va"
I do have an ultrasound photo in which my baby totally looks like an alien monster (http://www.posdef.net/node/view/27).


Whoa!
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: slink on August 20, 2004, 06:31:48 pm
Looked like a Playboy bunny to me, which might be apt.
Then again it might just be a finger print on my monitor...
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: side_show on August 20, 2004, 06:33:44 pm
Quote from: "slink"
Looked like a Playboy bunny to me, which might be apt.
Then again it might just be a finger print on my monitor...


And after all, Calvin Klien does need more sexy babies for his children's ware adds.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: V-Adore on August 20, 2004, 07:23:24 pm
That really is a particularly unnerving ultrasound photo.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: Va on August 20, 2004, 07:37:29 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
That really is a particularly unnerving ultrasound photo.



There's an extra-cute (http://www.posdef.net/node/view/26) one to make up for it.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: V-Adore on August 20, 2004, 07:39:21 pm
Quote from: "Va"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
That really is a particularly unnerving ultrasound photo.



There's an extra-cute (http://www.posdef.net/node/view/26) one to make up for it.

Awwww!
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: St_Zartan on August 20, 2004, 08:54:05 pm
Quote from: "Va"
I do have an ultrasound photo in which my baby totally looks like an alien monster (http://www.posdef.net/node/view/27).


(http://mywebpage.netscape.com/zartan00001/marsface.jpg)

COINCIDENCE?
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: Va on August 23, 2004, 08:45:10 pm
St_Zartan, THAT IS AWESOME.  I hope you don't mind if I put that up on my baby site.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: St_Zartan on August 24, 2004, 12:20:25 am
Not at all! Go right ahead; I'm glad you liked it. I only hope it makes up for the vile, vile link earlier in the thread.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: andalucia on August 24, 2004, 11:29:46 am
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Not at all! Go right ahead; I'm glad you liked it. I only hope it makes up for the vile, vile link earlier in the thread.



Nope.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: Va on August 24, 2004, 01:55:46 pm
JL, check out this animation (http://www.umm.edu/pregnancy/9monthmiracle/tools/fetaltool.html), which clearly shows how all of your internal organs will be crushed to make way for the creature growing inside you.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: jough on August 25, 2004, 06:42:02 am
(http://gioco.net/aandp/chest01.jpg)
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: Va on August 25, 2004, 10:20:06 am
Awwwwww.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: Va on August 30, 2004, 02:57:29 pm
Score!  Someone gave me a garbage bag full of baby clothes, which are mostly awesome.  I have to wash them.  Not that they're dirty, or they smell bad, but they smell like Someone Else's Stuff.

I wish Onstad made some of his Achewood clothing designs available in baby styles.  Who needs a "Here Comes A Special Girl" shirt more than a baby, huh?  No one, that's who.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: jay-ell on September 14, 2004, 04:20:10 pm
Welcome aboard, Va!  Good to have someone with whom to commisserate...

My sister-in-law gave me six boxes of baby clothes -- some girly and some boyish, on account of she has one of each -- and I've been going through that.  The problem is, her kids were born in July and mine is due in February -- so I think most of it will be the wrong season for the size.  

I can hardly wait another four weeks to find out if we're going to have a Hero Elizabeth or an Adrian Pearson.  I'll be sure to post more pictures and let you guys know when we find out.  

In other news, my breasts -- aside from becoming huge -- have officially crossed over into functionality.  If you know what I mean, you know what I mean.  And I seem to be carrying this baby right out front -- my belly is round like Bhudda's, but it's the only place I've gained weight (besides my boobs).  If I take after my mother -- which it seems I do -- I'm going to be all belly by Christmas, with another 2 months to go.  

On the upside, now that I've entered that magical Second Trimester, the chronic lower back pain seems to have abated somewhat.  Of course, I've got the shortness of breath thing going on -- I can't climb a flight of stairs without getting winded -- but at least I can get out of bed in the morning without Pedro having to carry me.  And I seem to only be getting up to pee twice a night instead of six or seven times, like before.  

Pedro, of course, has been great.  He spoils me.  He's made more glasses of chocolate milk in the last 4 months than any man should ever have to.  Not to mention *several* last-minute runs to the corner store for: oreos, milk, potato chips, bread (for toast), ginger ale, peanut butter, and M&M's.  No pickles and ice cream -- yet.  

Which brings me to my most pressing unsatisfied craving: If anyone happens to see a box of Frankenberry cereal in the supermarket, please send me some.  They only carry it in stores around here during the month of October, and it's driving me batty (no pun intended) to be craving it and know I have to wait a whole nother month.  I found a website that sells it, but only "in season."  Whatever that means.  

When I do find it in the stores here, I intend to buy it by the crate.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 14, 2004, 06:14:01 pm
Mrs. del Vaca craved broccoli during her pregnancy.  Go figure.

She also reported, early on, being around a crying baby and her breasts going "FEED!  BABY!  NOW!!"
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: St_Zartan on September 14, 2004, 07:32:04 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
I found a website that sells it, but only "in season."  Whatever that means.


The Frankenberry (homunculus baccatus), when not fully ripened, can damage the Optic Nerve.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 14, 2004, 11:50:18 pm
Elinor craved Taco Bell the whole time last time. Now she seems to be generally eating well but craving nothing in particular.

And she's been LOSING weight the whole time which is actually pretty cool given the fact that everything is doing exactly what it is supposed too. She'll be in the best shape of her life once she squeezes the little dude out.

We'll be getting the critical gender-determining ultrasound Thursday.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: AugustWest on September 15, 2004, 01:53:41 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"

We'll be getting the critical gender-determining ultrasound Thursday.


Huh.  And all along I thought it had something to do with X and Y chromosomes. Stupid liberal arts education!
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 15, 2004, 05:41:34 am
And that's why yer a lawyer.

You know what I meant, you mook.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: Va on October 15, 2004, 06:40:19 pm
Ash, why are you guys getting an amniocentesis?  Is you wife over 35?  Are the any other risk factors?  Because amnio carries a 1:200 chance of miscarriage.

I had a 3D/4D ultrasound yesterday.  It was a TON of FUN.  I highly recommend it.

(http://www.posdef.net/images/1f58f25a4be3eaae18d5f414912052d1-94.jpg)

The rest of the pictures are here (http://www.posdef.net/image/tid/10).
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 15, 2004, 07:09:38 pm
4-D?!?  What exactly is that 4th dimension, then?

Most ultrasound still images are like, "You sure there's a baby in there?"  (They look much better on the screen.)  Those 4D ones look pretty good, though.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: andalucia on October 15, 2004, 07:13:05 pm
Whoa, the 3D picture definitely looks many orders of magnitude more infantlike.  
4D, though, that is something.  A picture of the fetus tessering (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0440498058/104-2498952-8530324?v=glance)?
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: jay-ell on October 15, 2004, 07:18:23 pm
That is awesome.  The one of her touching her nose is my favorite, but the one where she's spinning stupid phat beats is hilarious!  

I think we've opted not to get this done, seeing as how we'd have to pay lots of money for it.  That decision could change if the doctor's ultrasound (the one the insurance company *will* pay for) can't tell us the gender on Tuesday.  

Congrats, Ash, on having a probably-healthy baby.  We'll keep your little dude/dudette in our prayers.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: Va on October 15, 2004, 07:26:36 pm
The 4th dimension is time, geniuses.  See, there's this SUPER ADVANCED technology in which a series of still images can be displayed in succession over time, and create the illusion of motion!
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: arkabee on October 15, 2004, 07:57:05 pm
those pictures are astounding.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: Va on October 15, 2004, 08:01:52 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
That is awesome.  The one of her touching her nose is my favorite, but the one where she's spinning stupid phat beats is hilarious!


Tee hee, thanks.  I'm trying to get hubby to photoshop in some headphones and turntables.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: jough on October 15, 2004, 08:08:42 pm
Wow, that is amazing.

I didn't see spinning, though.  Is one of those a movie?
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: V-Adore on October 15, 2004, 08:09:38 pm
Those are frighteningly adorable photos, Va. She's actually looking remarkably like a baby now (yeah, you would expect it, but...) as opposed to the blob that I typically tend to see on ultrasounds. A cute baby, at that.

Mad support to everyone here, too. May all be well with the proto-kid, Asherdan.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: Va on October 15, 2004, 08:20:32 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I didn't see spinning, though.  Is one of those a movie?


Nah, we just thought the way her hands were positioned in this picture (http://www.posdef.net/node/view/97) looked like she was scratching on a turntable.  We don't have the video up on the site yet, we still have to rip and convert to a suitable format.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: jough on October 15, 2004, 08:22:07 pm
The photos are amazing but the captions make them all the more adorable.

Do you have photos of the conception up on the web too?
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: AugustWest on October 15, 2004, 08:22:40 pm
I'm very happy for all of you expectant people.

I'm also very happy that it is you and not me.  I've done my share of diaper changing, thank you very much.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: Va on October 15, 2004, 08:40:22 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Do you have photos of the conception up on the web too?


Not to my knowledge.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: Va on October 15, 2004, 08:42:49 pm
Hooray, someone voted for Zelda (http://www.posdef.net/node/view/101)!  It was one of you guys, wasn't it?
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: AugustWest on October 15, 2004, 08:46:45 pm
Quote from: "Va"
Quote from: "jough"
Do you have photos of the conception up on the web too?


Not to my knowledge.


Would you like to buy some?

Ba-dumb-bum!
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: sailor on October 15, 2004, 08:56:28 pm
Quote from: "Va"
Hooray, someone voted for Zelda (http://www.posdef.net/node/view/101)!  It was one of you guys, wasn't it?


right here. but actually would perfer Gannon.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: Va on October 15, 2004, 09:07:37 pm
Quote from: "sailor"
Quote from: "Va"
Hooray, someone voted for Zelda (http://www.posdef.net/node/view/101)!  It was one of you guys, wasn't it?


right here. but actually would perfer Gannon.


Well, we're hoping for a boy next time...

Seems like that'd be setting them up for some pretty brutal sibling rivalry, though.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: jay-ell on October 20, 2004, 03:09:30 am
My baby's got a wang!

That makes it a boy, folks

Welcome to the universe, Adrian Pearson Dunston II.  Pierce.  My son.  

We are, needless to say, thrilled.  Parents of girl babies-to-be, send in your applications for an arranged marriage now, while the line is short.  ;)  

Just wanted to share the news.  And now...

good night.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: AugustWest on October 20, 2004, 03:21:47 am
DUDE!
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: V-Adore on October 20, 2004, 03:29:30 am
Congratulations on... uh... having an identifiable gender for the baby now. All is good. I mean, uh, it's not as if the baby didn't have a gender 'til the ultrasound (although I recall that theory being banded about upthread), but it's good to know. Now you can call him Pierce and not, I dunno, Schroediger or Cletus the Fetus or whatever.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: jough on October 20, 2004, 05:44:25 am
Sure, he's got a wang, but is he well-endowed (for a toddler)?

Congratulations on carrying on the family line, Pedro and JL.  May you have many healthy male children!
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: sailor on October 20, 2004, 05:53:22 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
DUDE!


a very admirable zing, if i do say so myself.

....and you can call him hawkeye and he'll never know wtf yr talking about until years later, maybe.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: Va on October 20, 2004, 04:42:52 pm
Hooray for you JL!  It's fun to know.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: AugustWest on October 20, 2004, 05:12:38 pm
Quote from: "sailor"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
DUDE!


a very admirable zing, if i do say so myself.

....and you can call him hawkeye and he'll never know wtf yr talking about until years later, maybe.


?????

I hate it when I'm funny and I don't even know why.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: sailor on October 21, 2004, 05:25:28 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "sailor"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
DUDE!


a very admirable zing, if i do say so myself.

....and you can call him hawkeye and he'll never know wtf yr talking about until years later, maybe.


?????

I hate it when I'm funny and I don't even know why.


um...it's just, you know...i thought that well "dude"="guy"="boy", and hey, i saw humor in that; if it was unintentional, um...then i guess congradulations on congradulating jl? or something?

and if you didn't get the M.A.S.H referance, i guess that is ok too, but not really that ok...

and jl, congrats. boy means that you don't have to explain scary crotch bleeding or make that fated trip to the rite-aid or whatever for a daughter's passage into womanhood.

but than pedro's gotta do the whole first jock strap deal and field the morning wood inquries.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: jay-ell on October 21, 2004, 05:07:02 pm
Quote from: "sailor"

and jl, congrats. boy means that you don't have to explain scary crotch bleeding or make that fated trip to the rite-aid or whatever for a daughter's passage into womanhood.

but than pedro's gotta do the whole first jock strap deal and field the morning wood inquries.


Frank discussions about sexuality and a young teen's changing body I can handle.  It's the idea of having a teenage daughter to put me through all the things I put my mother through that bothers me.  It's like *somebody* once said: "When you have a son, you spend the teen years worrying about one boy.  When you have a daughter, you spend those years worrying about *every* boy."  

Right, August?
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: AugustWest on October 21, 2004, 05:15:39 pm
My children never leave the house.  To do so would require separation from the TV.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 21, 2004, 05:31:10 pm
My daughter is forbidden to date until she's 21.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: St_Zartan on October 21, 2004, 05:48:59 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Sure, he's got a wang, but is he well-endowed (for a toddler)?


Coming soon to Cable Public Access Television:

P R I O R I T I E S
...with Jough Dempsey
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: V-Adore on October 21, 2004, 05:58:20 pm
Speaking as someone who was a teenager not all that long ago (strangely enough) -- YMMV, but in my group there always seemed to be a direct relationship between strictness of dating-related regulations and devotion to subverting those regulations. The friend of mine who was forbidden to date (or even be at a boy's house unsupervised) until age 16 went quite frankly nuts from 14 on, doing things one dares not contemplate, whereas I (with the parental guidance "be careful and let us know where you're going to be" and "so, who is this boy you like?") came out of things basically functional and not parent-shocking.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: andalucia on October 21, 2004, 06:17:40 pm
Yeah, what V said.
Having been raised by hippie parents, in high school I just had to put up with a lot of "So, you've been spending a lot of time with [boy].  If you two should decide to become... intimate, I'd be glad to pick up a box of condoms for you."
"Uh, no thanks, father, that is OK."  
"Well, do you want to go on the pill, then?  I can make an appointment for you."
"Really, it's fine."
But it's totally better than forcing your kids to lie to you, I would say.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: Va on October 22, 2004, 03:04:33 pm
I, too, can report a fairly positive hippie-parent experience.  Oddly, regardless of the fact that my parents were pretty heavy partiers through my entire life with them, I did not start indulging in recreational drugs until I was 21.

My dad was kind of heavy on the "no spending time with boys unsupervised" tip for a while, but I was kind of a late bloomer in that regard anyway; being around boys alone made me nervous, so I had my dad's rules as an excuse for why I couldn't take a ride in Wayne's new car, instead of seeming like a freak.  By the way, with the preceeding, I win the run-on sentence contest for all time.

I think our kids might be miffed because my husband and I will give them nothing to rebel against.  My husband is convinced that our children will become Mormons, or maybe even Amish, just to spite us.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: Choop on October 22, 2004, 06:27:03 pm
Quote from: "Va"
My dad was kind of heavy on the "no spending time with boys unsupervised" tip for a while, but I was kind of a late bloomer in that regard anyway; being around boys alone made me nervous, so I had my dad's rules as an excuse for why I couldn't take a ride in Wayne's new car, instead of seeming like a freak.  By the way, with the preceeding, I win the run-on sentence contest for all time.


Oh, no you don't. Your splendid punctuation prevented that sentence from achieving run-on status. However, it could be made into a run-on with a single change - three geek points to the one spots it first!
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: CortJstr on October 22, 2004, 06:36:28 pm
semi-colon?
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: Choop on October 22, 2004, 06:38:36 pm
DING DING DING

All assertions may now be laid to rest; the three geek points have been awarded.

CJ, you may wish to relieve yourself of some of your geek points. If geek points were many, you'd be Monty Burns.

(I don't mean that in a bad way)
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: CortJstr on October 22, 2004, 06:43:21 pm
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
DING DING DING

All assertions may now be laid to rest; the three geek points have been awarded.

CJ, you may wish to relieve yourself of some of your geek points. If geek points were many, you'd be Monty Burns.

(I don't mean that in a bad way)

If you could see the white-boy cabbage patch I'm doing right now you'd realize that Monty Burns doesn't begin to describe my geek/dork points combined. It's like Scrooge McDuck married into the Gates family. I'm swimming in points over here. And yes, my first geek point is in a little glass jar.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: Bozack on October 22, 2004, 07:51:18 pm
Quote from: "Va"
...take a ride in Wayne's new car...


This is my new euphemism for sex, just knocking out "dining in your private restaurant."

My entire familial sex-ed went like this:

SETTING: In the car, when I was in 5th Grade

THE PLAYERS: Myself, my very stoic, Catholic father

DAD: Soooooo, Mark....you know about........it, don't you?
MARK: ....What?
DAD: (actually speaking softer here, embarrassed about saying the word; keep in mind this is a man who looks at assholes for a living) You know....sex.
MARK: Oh, ummm, yeah.
DAD: (visibly relieved) Oh, thank God.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: slink on October 22, 2004, 10:59:33 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"

familial sex-ed


My mom said to me, after I said I was going camping with my girlfriend at the time 'well, you know, talk to your brother if you need to know about any of that stuff...'
Far less painful than it could have been, but then my parents have always been pretty much painless. They were very cool about everything, but it certainly wasn't their fault I made a mess of my life for 5 or 6 years.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 23, 2004, 01:12:27 am
My parents never said one word to me about sex.  Not one word.  

Actually, I'm kind of glad.  My dad was a teacher at the high school; perhaps he knew and trusted my 10th-grade health teacher (who was a drunk, dirty old man) to set us straight.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: Pedro Picasso on October 25, 2004, 03:50:07 pm
None of this embarrassed half-auidble crazy crap for my kids.  "Boy, that thing there's a c*ck.  Right now, it stands up for no reason at all, but when you're older, it'll stand to request permission to make babies.  Let's go to the video tape."

My parents were always a little too late with advice and information of this nature.  I knew I wanted to have sex before I knew what it was or that it was against our religious beliefs to do it with someone I wasn't married to.  I was real interested real young, you understand.  And it only came up because some guy on the radio said you could get AIDS from having sex.  I thought that was nuts.  I said, "Mom, I'm not going to get sick and die just because I have sex with a girl, am I?"  I think that surprised her.  I couldn't have been more than six.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: sailor on October 25, 2004, 07:46:44 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Speaking as someone who was a teenager not all that long ago (strangely enough) -- YMMV, but in my group there always seemed to be a direct relationship between strictness of dating-related regulations and devotion to subverting those regulations. The friend of mine who was forbidden to date (or even be at a boy's house unsupervised) until age 16 went quite frankly nuts from 14 on, doing things one dares not contemplate, whereas I (with the parental guidance "be careful and let us know where you're going to be" and "so, who is this boy you like?") came out of things basically functional and not parent-shocking.


that whole forbidden to do this or that obviously backfires. the coolest, hard-drinkin'est, horniest GF i ever had was ex-mormon.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: Limmo on November 21, 2004, 10:01:53 pm
I haven't seen this discussed in any of the blog-related threads, so I'll post it here: is Onstad going to be a father soon?

Quote from: "Onstad"
4. The baby gender sonogram was coming up.

...

Oh well, at least my kid's safe from George Bush for the next few months. Unless they figure out a way to put tiny Jack Chick tracts into the amniotic sac.


If no one's said so yet, congratulations Chris!
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: jough on November 22, 2004, 12:03:24 am
It seems from his blog that at least the blog character "Chris" is going to be a father in... what, four to five months?

Yes, congratulations Chris.  This is certainly a fertile board.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: CortJstr on November 22, 2004, 12:48:42 am
Did anybody here do a "keepsake ultrasound"? At work we just had a big meeting about how those are bad and terrible and in some states illegal.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 22, 2004, 01:40:39 am
We kept copies of the physician referred ultrasound during the second trimester but I assume a 'keepsake' ultrasound would be one of those high-energy 3-D/4-D ultrasounds that the patient requests and pays for, is that right?

Ultrasound can be used to destroy cancerous cells; it is a potentially destructive form of energy if misapplied. . I think that there is a need for strong regulation of these devices and their application, so I guess, for the most part, I agree with the FDA (http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2004/104_images.html) in terms of potentials for abuse and risk. I realize that people running these mall kiosks and storefronts aren't in business to hurt people or their unborn kids, but this is something that should be studied more and should be subject to a fair policy that protects everyone involved.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: CortJstr on November 22, 2004, 01:54:38 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
We kept copies of the physician referred ultrasound during the second trimester but I assume a 'keepsake' ultrasound would be one of those high-energy 3-D/4-D ultrasounds that the patient requests and pays for, is that right?

A keepsake is any scan you have done without interpretation. So even a regular 2D scan is a keepsake if there's no radiologist who sees it. The main fear is that people will pay for the keepsake then never get another because hey, if something was wrong the lady at the strip mall would've told us. The fact that an US could cause a problem is a secondary conern, at least with traditional US scans.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 22, 2004, 05:27:15 am
right, so a keepsake would never be done in a hospital setting since a person just can't demand one and no hospital would take the liability on.

Seems to me most of these would be done with potentially unlicensed operators, not necessarily well inspected or maintained equipment, and best of all,  the illiusion to some ignorant folks that they had a medical procedure.

Sweet.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: CortJstr on November 22, 2004, 02:15:03 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
right, so a keepsake would never be done in a hospital setting since a person just can't demand one and no hospital would take the liability on.

Seems to me most of these would be done with potentially unlicensed operators, not necessarily well inspected or maintained equipment, and best of all,  the illiusion to some ignorant folks that they had a medical procedure.

Right. But if you get a real US and the doctor offers you a print as a memento that is perfectly legitimate.

That depends. I work in mammo so I'm only tangentially aware of US rules. I think it varies by state of the operater has to be an RT (who often work 2nd jobs) or just some schmo. I know these machines aren't being accredited by a state/national Accrediting Body (which is voluntary anyway) and I doubt they're being inspected annually by a medical physicist.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: arkabee on November 22, 2004, 02:16:18 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"

A keepsake is any scan you have done without interpretation. So even a regular 2D scan is a keepsake if there's no radiologist who sees it. The main fear is that people will pay for the keepsake then never get another because hey, if something was wrong the lady at the strip mall would've told us. The fact that an US could cause a problem is a secondary conern, at least with traditional US scans.


i'm confused.

so is there something dangerous with getting an ultrasound at the mall?
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: V-Adore on November 22, 2004, 03:02:40 pm
Quote from: "arkabee"
Quote from: "CortJstr"

A keepsake is any scan you have done without interpretation. So even a regular 2D scan is a keepsake if there's no radiologist who sees it. The main fear is that people will pay for the keepsake then never get another because hey, if something was wrong the lady at the strip mall would've told us. The fact that an US could cause a problem is a secondary conern, at least with traditional US scans.


i'm confused.

so is there something dangerous with getting an ultrasound at the mall?

I think the idea is that, if you get an ultrasound at the mall, you may decide that you don't need a real ultrasound that gets evaluated by a medical professional. I don't know about how actively dangerous "keepsake" ultrasounds are, but I can grok the idea that they're passively dangerous by letting people think that they've had this necessary diagnostic when they really haven't.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: Va on November 22, 2004, 03:05:54 pm
I had a keepsake ultrasound at an outfit called "Fetal Fotos" in Atlanta.  The equipment there was a damn sight newer and spiffier than that at my doctor's office, and the walls of the waiting room were plastered with training certificates.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: CortJstr on November 22, 2004, 04:08:37 pm
Quote from: "Va"
I had a keepsake ultrasound at an outfit called "Fetal Fotos" in Atlanta.  The equipment there was a damn sight newer and spiffier than that at my doctor's office, and the walls of the waiting room were plastered with training certificates.

As long as you had another ultrasound that was interpretted by a radiologist then the danger is minimal. And it sounds like Fetal Fotos is staffed by licensed RTs working a 2nd job. But many of the kiosk places aren't like that.

Also, I just found 4 US providers (http://apps2.acr.org/lib/afw/afw-search.php) in Atlanta that are accredited. And I can tell you from experience that accreditation is a much stonger indicator of quality than new equipment. There are some brand new mammo machines that I would hesitant to let my family members on.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: AugustWest on November 22, 2004, 04:28:07 pm
I feel like Abe Simpson by saying this, but dang, what a world we live in today.  You can go to the mall and get 3D ultrasound pictures of your unborn child just like Olan Mills.  That's amazing, isn't it?

/puts onion on belt.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: Va on November 22, 2004, 04:34:37 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
As long as you had another ultrasound that was interpretted by a radiologist then the danger is minimal.


I had three ultrasounds at my OB/GYNs office, but I don't think there were any radiologists involved.

I think it bears mentioning that it is far from proven that routine ultrasounds for all pregnant women increase positive outcomes for mothers or babies, and ultrasound is not risk-free.  Some people even think that some babies might be able to hear some of the, er, ultra-sounds at certain points, and that it drives them batty--when I first read this, my mind immediately went to my 12 week ultrasound, when my baby started jumping and bouncing around shortly after the exam began. At the time it seemed really cute, but now I wonder if it was the equivalent of an air raid siren in her tiny skull.

Even though I really enjoyed getting to see my baby, I probably will not be getting any ultrasounds during my next pregnancy unless there is a clinical indication.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: CortJstr on November 22, 2004, 05:06:07 pm
Quote from: "Va"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
As long as you had another ultrasound that was interpretted by a radiologist then the danger is minimal.

I had three ultrasounds at my OB/GYNs office, but I don't think there were any radiologists involved.
...
Even though I really enjoyed getting to see my baby, I probably will not be getting any ultrasounds during my next pregnancy unless there is a clinical indication.

There may have been a radiologist you just never actually saw her. Many patients never actually meet their radiologist (or Interpretting Physican if they aren't specifically a radiologist) if the exams are negative. It's a lot like going to the dentist in that respect.

That's a good idea. Your dr. might recommend an US just to check in but extra scans of any type aren't generally a great idea. That's why so many groups have come out against full-body CT scans as "baselines."

AW, do you have 5 bees for a quarter?
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: AugustWest on November 22, 2004, 05:36:46 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
The interesting (gruesome) part was from where I was sitting I had both the live action and the US monitor action in my sightline.  So I switched my focus from the doctors actions to the monitor when he was driving the needle and got to see the approach and insertion internal view.


I agree.  Having experienced this now almost 12 years ago, it is a strange sight to see the needle from the outside and the inside, so to speak.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on November 22, 2004, 06:27:20 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
ADDENDUM: Spouse just called to let me know that the doctor called with the amnio results.

Clear board, all is well, no signs of any developmental issues.

Whoooo - Hooooooo!
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: arkabee on November 22, 2004, 06:57:20 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"

i'm confused.

so is there something dangerous with getting an ultrasound at the mall?

I think the idea is that, if you get an ultrasound at the mall, you may decide that you don't need a real ultrasound that gets evaluated by a medical professional. I don't know about how actively dangerous "keepsake" ultrasounds are, but I can grok the idea that they're passively dangerous by letting people think that they've had this necessary diagnostic when they really haven't.[/quote]

we should either outlaw malls or outlaw letting people think.  the worst thought i've ever had was "i think i'll go to the mall today".
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: wombat on November 22, 2004, 08:44:17 pm
Quote from: "Va"
I had a keepsake ultrasound at an outfit called "Fetal Fotos" in Atlanta.  


Please tell me you're kidding.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: CortJstr on November 22, 2004, 09:02:47 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "Va"
I had a keepsake ultrasound at an outfit called "Fetal Fotos" in Atlanta.  

Please tell me you're kidding.

You should know that these places generally charge $70–80 for 3 or 4 prints of the US and a short video on a CD.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: V-Adore on November 22, 2004, 09:16:59 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
ADDENDUM: Spouse just called to let me know that the doctor called with the amnio results.

Clear board, all is well, no signs of any developmental issues.

::Exhale held breath::

Spouse said the hardest part was telling the doctor we did NOT want to know the gender.

Congratulations on the clean bill of health for the wee one! It's always good to hear about a lack of chromosomal abnormalities and such.

(I find that being a biology major is getting me massively paranoid about my own genetic makeup -- "I could be a carrier for all sorts of stuff, ad so many disorders can occur spontaneously, and it's entirely possible that I have trisomy 23 and DON'T KNOW, holy shit can I sequence my own genome and figure out if I'm gonna die tomorrow" -- so it's always good to hear about genotypic normalcy. Er. Yes.)
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 22, 2004, 09:58:25 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "Va"
I had a keepsake ultrasound at an outfit called "Fetal Fotos" in Atlanta.  


Please tell me you're kidding.


Seconded. It seems pretty ridiculous to me too.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: V-Adore on November 22, 2004, 11:41:28 pm
Hey, it could have been worse -- it could have been Embryonic Emages.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: CortJstr on November 23, 2004, 02:14:25 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Hey, it could have been worse -- it could have been Embryonic Emages.

Quote from: "The Red E-Mage"
Open -> Magic Missles. Menu -> Power Level -> 4. Menu -> Target -> Hoard of Draconians. Send.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: AugustWest on November 23, 2004, 03:34:40 am
Prego Pix?

Natal Negatives?

Womb Shots?

Cervix Cam?

Zygotography?
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: andalucia on November 23, 2004, 04:46:28 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Prego Pix?


That one freaks me out for this (http://www.campbellsoup.com/prego.asp?cpovisq=0%2FFrR29BuswW%2BsG1aaImpsW%2BCy9BZpss) reason, since fetuses and tomato sauce are really not ideas that go together that comfortably in most socially acceptable contexts.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: AugustWest on November 23, 2004, 05:21:18 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Prego Pix?


That one freaks me out for this (http://www.campbellsoup.com/prego.asp?cpovisq=0%2FFrR29BuswW%2BsG1aaImpsW%2BCy9BZpss) reason, since fetuses and tomato sauce are really not ideas that go together that comfortably in most socially acceptable contexts.
Well golly, I really hadn't thought of that angle.  How about "Ragu Radiographs?"
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 23, 2004, 06:40:40 am
There are plenty of Preggo Pix sites, NSFW, if you wanna google those terms...
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: slink on November 23, 2004, 12:55:08 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Prego Pix?


That one freaks me out for this (http://www.campbellsoup.com/prego.asp?cpovisq=0%2FFrR29BuswW%2BsG1aaImpsW%2BCy9BZpss) reason, since fetuses and tomato sauce are really not ideas that go together that comfortably in most socially acceptable contexts.


You've not had to see the episode of River Cottage where Fearnley-Whittingstall went and cooked someones placenta for them. I don't recall if he tried it or not, but this family had decided to go by that old tradition.
Yack.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: andalucia on November 23, 2004, 01:02:43 pm
Quote from: "slink"
You've not had to see the episode of River Cottage where Fearnley-Whittingstall went and cooked someones placenta for them.


This is very true.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: CortJstr on November 23, 2004, 02:05:37 pm
Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Prego Pix?

That one freaks me out for this (http://www.campbellsoup.com/prego.asp?cpovisq=0%2FFrR29BuswW%2BsG1aaImpsW%2BCy9BZpss) reason, since fetuses and tomato sauce are really not ideas that go together that comfortably in most socially acceptable contexts.

You've not had to see the episode of River Cottage where Fearnley-Whittingstall went and cooked someones placenta for them. I don't recall if he tried it or not, but this family had decided to go by that old tradition.
Yack.

Here we go again (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?p=12680#12680)!
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: Va on November 23, 2004, 04:22:41 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "Va"
I had a keepsake ultrasound at an outfit called "Fetal Fotos" in Atlanta.  

Please tell me you're kidding.


I could, but I'd be lying.

Quote from: "CortJstr"
You should know that these places generally charge $70–80 for 3 or 4 prints of the US and a short video on a CD.


Nope, it cost waaay more than that.
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: AlohaDawg on January 04, 2005, 09:04:50 pm
Check this out (http://www.pennhealth.com/health_info/pregnancy/9monthmiracle/tools/fetaltool.html)
Title: The Baby Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on January 04, 2005, 11:22:03 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Check this out (http://www.pennhealth.com/health_info/pregnancy/9monthmiracle/tools/fetaltool.html)


For me, personally? Ick. But I can think of some other things that could be done that way that I might enjoy. Keep us posted.