The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: AugustWest on July 27, 2004, 05:32:01 pm

Title: Achewood Character Blogs -- Week of July 26
Post by: AugustWest on July 27, 2004, 05:32:01 pm
For all your Achewood Character Blog discussion needs...
Title: Achewood Character Blogs -- Week of July 26
Post by: jough on July 27, 2004, 07:13:28 pm
I don't think the Risotto Wars are quite over yet.  I expect some risotto-related shenanigans afoot in the near future.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs -- Week of July 26
Post by: CortJstr on July 27, 2004, 08:03:15 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I don't think the Risotto Wars are quite over yet.  I expect some risotto-related shenanigans afoot in the near future.

But it clearly says "Risotto Wars are Ended" Chris wouldn't lie to us like that! Besides, Teodor's now more concerned with getting together with the new lady.

I'm also kind of intrigued how Pat's story would actually show up in the police blotter. Maybe he'll be one of those "lighter side" stories the put on the news right before the show ends.

And I think Lyle may have tapped into a whole new fetish. Kind of like the pork & beans video they keep mentioning in the Joe Schmo 2 commercials.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs -- Week of July 26
Post by: wombat on July 27, 2004, 08:36:01 pm
I've recently realized that I don't get who Teodor is as a character.  Ray is the guy who thinks he's cool, Beef is the insecure nerd, Pat is the tightass jerk,  Lyle is the derelict, Mr Bear is the pretentious one, Phillippe is the simple one, Chris is the human being and Molly is the girl.  How does Teodor fit in?  The risotto wars just made it clear that I don't get who he is - he comes out of nowhere to start a war over risotto?  Where does this come from?

I think this calls for some CortJstring - where is the subtle literary foreshadowing of this character development?  Aside from the fact that he is the one reading Cook's Illustrated here (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02082002), so we know he's a cook, I would not have expected all this of him.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs -- Week of July 26
Post by: jough on July 27, 2004, 08:46:58 pm
In the beginning of the strip Teodor was the everyman - he was the one that I most closely related to in the strip.

I don't know - I think he's just a casual guy who is into the same kinds of things Onstad is into - drinking, cooking, fuck*ng, etc.

The cats have taken over the strip a bit, but the "alive stuffed animals" are really the heart of Achewood.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs -- Week of July 26
Post by: CortJstr on July 27, 2004, 08:57:40 pm
Quote from: "jough"
In the beginning of the strip Teodor was the everyman - he was the one that I most closely related to in the strip.

I don't know - I think he's just a casual guy who is into the same kinds of things Onstad is into - drinking, cooking, fuck*ng, etc.

The cats have taken over the strip a bit, but the "alive stuffed animals" are really the heart of Achewood.

What he said. Except the closely relating part. I'm more of a TeoBeef (Roast Teodor just sounds wrong).
Title: Achewood Character Blogs -- Week of July 26
Post by: V-Adore on July 27, 2004, 10:00:31 pm
Yeah, Teodor is sort of our Everyguy. He's a little imbalanced, but overall he's just sort of mellow -- into cooking and good music, interested in girls but not all that good at getting them, occasionally a little fey... that sort of thing. I like him as an everyman and as an understandable character.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs -- Week of July 26
Post by: starlight on July 28, 2004, 02:49:55 am
It seems p.a.n.t.s falling down may be a new theme going by the latest posts in the beef and onstad blogs...
Title: Achewood Character Blogs -- Week of July 26
Post by: Mantonio on July 28, 2004, 03:21:50 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "jough"
In the beginning of the strip Teodor was the everyman - he was the one that I most closely related to in the strip.

I don't know - I think he's just a casual guy who is into the same kinds of things Onstad is into - drinking, cooking, fuck*ng, etc.

The cats have taken over the strip a bit, but the "alive stuffed animals" are really the heart of Achewood.

What he said. Except the closely relating part. I'm more of a TeoBeef (Roast Teodor just sounds wrong).


I think I'm mostly a Roast Beef kind of guy, with a dash of Mr. Bear and Pat mixed in.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs -- Week of July 26
Post by: Bozack on July 28, 2004, 04:30:42 am
I gotta say..."real estate hair" is amazing.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs -- Week of July 26
Post by: wombat on July 28, 2004, 10:14:52 am
At first I thought the ##### falling down was just bizarre but when I got to the fourth blog where someone's ##### fell down I laughed out loud.

Thank you all for the literary analysis above, now I see that I didn't see what was distinctive about Teodor because he wasn't very distinctive.  But I suppose now the risotto episode shows that he has hidden depths and we had better watch out.
Title: hunger
Post by: beetle on July 28, 2004, 11:00:14 am
These blogs get harder and harder to read for a body trying to stick to a diet and not eat a lot of lamb and risotto.  I may have to cut out Chris and Teo altogether.

For some reason, Lyle's appearance/writing style/bizarre skillset gives me the impression that he was once in the Navy.  Was that actually in the strip at some point?
Title: Re: hunger
Post by: Mantonio on July 28, 2004, 02:04:04 pm
Quote from: "beetle"
These blogs get harder and harder to read for a body trying to stick to a diet and not eat a lot of lamb and risotto.  I may have to cut out Chris and Teo altogether.

For some reason, Lyle's appearance/writing style/bizarre skillset gives me the impression that he was once in the Navy.  Was that actually in the strip at some point?


According to this interview: ( http://www.waterpockets.com/achewood.html ) Lyle is a former longshoreman.
Title: Re: hunger
Post by: AugustWest on July 28, 2004, 02:38:51 pm
Quote from: "Mantonio"
Quote from: "beetle"
These blogs get harder and harder to read for a body trying to stick to a diet and not eat a lot of lamb and risotto.  I may have to cut out Chris and Teo altogether.

For some reason, Lyle's appearance/writing style/bizarre skillset gives me the impression that he was once in the Navy.  Was that actually in the strip at some point?


According to this interview: ( http://www.waterpockets.com/achewood.html ) Lyle is a former longshoreman.


I like this interview because Onstad gives props to Peanuts.  Peanuts is great.  If you haven't read Peanuts from the 50's and 60's you're really missing something.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs -- Week of July 26
Post by: CortJstr on July 28, 2004, 04:21:49 pm
It's time for the All Achewood Edition of ##### Or No #####! And here's your host Mr. Laupin!
Title: Achewood Character Blogs -- Week of July 26
Post by: AugustWest on July 28, 2004, 04:30:20 pm
Speaking of No pan... uh,  trousers, whatever happened to that photo contest?
Title: Achewood Character Blogs -- Week of July 26
Post by: jough on July 28, 2004, 05:22:04 pm
Perdo totally dropped the ball.

NO PUN INTENDED
Title: Achewood Character Blogs -- Week of July 26
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 28, 2004, 07:18:28 pm
RAY IS VOODOO #####ING ACHEWOOD
Title: Achewood Character Blogs -- Week of July 26
Post by: sailor on July 28, 2004, 08:23:31 pm
Me thinks 'stad was that lady in the post office and he's all tryin' to work out some emotions right now...

also he has real estate hair.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs -- Week of July 26
Post by: AlohaDawg on July 28, 2004, 09:02:42 pm
Is anyone else using bloglines? If so, are you having problems with the feed for Ray's blog?

Also, this pant's business is awesome. This Ken doll has great and mystical powers. I wonder if he is wearing one tiny talking shoe.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs -- Week of July 26
Post by: AugustWest on July 28, 2004, 09:08:42 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
I wonder if he is wearing one tiny talking shoe.


Dawg, You. Are. Rad.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs -- Week of July 26
Post by: slink on July 28, 2004, 09:35:11 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Is anyone else using bloglines? If so, are you having problems with the feed for Ray's blog?


Yup, and some of the others are coming up as new despite having been read days ago (Beef buying the chicken and Philippe's piano lessons came back up ).
But then again it was failing to read any of them at the start so it's an improvement.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs -- Week of July 26
Post by: AlohaDawg on July 29, 2004, 12:28:55 am
Thanks. Sometimes I think it's me; occasionally my grasp of these newfangled counting machines indicates I should have black clothes with wooden buttons. And way more facial hair.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs -- Week of July 26
Post by: palm trees on July 29, 2004, 11:32:20 am
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
RAY IS VOODOO #####ING ACHEWOOD


this totally passed me by. i think i drank too much last night.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs -- Week of July 26
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 29, 2004, 02:20:42 pm
Quote from: "slink"
Yup, and some of the others are coming up as new despite having been read days ago (Beef buying the chicken and Philippe's piano lessons came back up ).


If a post is updated, Bloglines picks it up again.  So Onstad probably tweaked these posts for whatever reason (like he's been known to do with the strips).

Voodoo #####-dropping.  Scaaaaaaaary.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs -- Week of July 26
Post by: AlohaDawg on July 29, 2004, 10:24:32 pm
That means he edited Lyle's blog 15 times yesterday....
Title: Achewood Character Blogs -- Week of July 26
Post by: CortJstr on July 29, 2004, 11:08:47 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
That means he edited Lyle's blog 15 times yesterday....

It showed up that way in Sage as well.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs -- Week of July 26
Post by: AlohaDawg on July 29, 2004, 11:59:50 pm
Teodor's entry today is darn close to cute. I especially like his phrase about feeling 'Mixtape pangs' about Shannon.

Awwwwwwwwwwww.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs -- Week of July 26
Post by: CortJstr on July 30, 2004, 12:28:43 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Teodor's entry today is darn close to cute. I especially like his phrase about feeling 'Mixtape pangs' about Shannon.

Awwwwwwwwwwww.

I just realized that he changed his wardrobe, dropping his sweater from Penny, at about the same time he started noticing this new lady. Interesting.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs -- Week of July 26
Post by: Choop on July 30, 2004, 04:08:25 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
That means he edited Lyle's blog 15 times yesterday....

It showed up that way in Sage as well.


It showed up on his blog that way too.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs -- Week of July 26
Post by: sailor on July 30, 2004, 07:31:42 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Teodor's entry today is darn close to cute. I especially like his phrase about feeling 'Mixtape pangs' about Shannon.

Awwwwwwwwwwww.


"I finished her drink and remembered the smell of her shampoo."

so me so many damn times.

mostly the drink finishing part.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs -- Week of July 26
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 30, 2004, 01:08:41 pm
"mix tape pangs!"  Go Teodor!

After reading about Beef's ##### falling down and Ray continuing to enjoy his voodoo ##### doll, when I opened Teodor's entry and saw it was about this new woman, I went "Oh no his ##### are going to fall down in front of her."  Fortunately that's not the case, but there's plent of time for that yet.

What is this new woman, precisely?  Another teddy bear?  A cat?  A stuffed moose?  Inquiring minds want to know.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs -- Week of July 26
Post by: Choop on July 30, 2004, 02:16:19 pm
Teodor's ##### have already fallen down - it seems to be visiting each of the characters once. If T's fall again, he'll be the first to have it happen a second time.

I'm both anticipating and dreading Nice Pete's trouser collapse.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs -- Week of July 26
Post by: CortJstr on July 30, 2004, 03:29:30 pm
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Teodor's ***** have already fallen down - it seems to be visiting each of the characters once. If T's fall again, he'll be the first to have it happen a second time.

I'm both anticipating and dreading Nice Pete's trouser collapse.

Beef's fell down and he witnessed another #####ing.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs -- Week of July 26
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 31, 2004, 01:31:32 am
Jeez, now I can't wait to find out how this party turns out.  I just wish somebody would catch Teodor and convince him to rethink his outfit.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs -- Week of July 26
Post by: V-Adore on July 31, 2004, 05:25:49 am
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
Jeez, now I can't wait to find out how this party turns out.  I just wish somebody would catch Teodor and convince him to rethink his outfit.

I dunno -- he's trying too hard, but it has potential to be cute. (I sort of like those chunky-silver-bead necklaces. I may be the only one.)
Title: Achewood Character Blogs -- Week of July 26
Post by: Bozack on July 31, 2004, 06:48:11 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
(I sort of like those chunky-silver-bead necklaces. I may be the only one.)


You are.

EDITED TO INCLUDE APOLOGY because this is the second time I've responded to something V's said in the last few days with a snarky short statement and dammit that just ain't right. V, continue to enjoy chunky-silver-bead necklaces. Be proud of your enjoyment. Shine on, you crazy, crazy diamond; don't be ashamed of who you are. And one day, we will watch you soar above us all, and a smile will dance upon my lips and a tear will twinkle in my eye.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs -- Week of July 26
Post by: wombat on July 31, 2004, 01:53:11 pm
Oh poor Teodor.  And poor me, all I need is more characters in this strip breaking my heart.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs -- Week of July 26
Post by: CortJstr on July 31, 2004, 02:45:10 pm
I can't help but think that this is going to end up like the bulter on NewsRadio. Don't get robbed, Ray!
Title: Achewood Character Blogs -- Week of July 26
Post by: AugustWest on July 31, 2004, 06:44:22 pm
I'm gonna put a boilermaker under a propped up box...

Excellent.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs -- Week of July 26
Post by: sailor on July 31, 2004, 09:53:15 pm
I think Waterbury and Nice Pete are old friends.

or at least Lyle.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs -- Week of July 26
Post by: V-Adore on July 31, 2004, 10:27:02 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
hardcore sarcasm smackdown

My shame is great. At least I didn't inadvertently confess to liking... I don't know, trucker hats, or something else that would make me seem even more preppy-pseudo-hip than I am now.

Upon thought, maybe I just like the idea of Teodor with one of those necklaces? He has a pleasant earnestness about him that makes me not want to smack him for clothes which would otherwise be highly smackable.

Anyway, now I'm just waiting for a post in Lyle's blog about that boilermaker trap.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs -- Week of July 26
Post by: CortJstr on August 01, 2004, 09:21:06 pm
Re: Pat's dancin'

Haaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahaha. That dumb bastard.
Title: Achewood Character Blogs -- Week of July 26
Post by: V-Adore on August 01, 2004, 10:15:16 pm
Pat is a dick (dull surprise!), but I do like the phrase "as cooperative as an angry couch."

I also like Chris's total ignorance of Waterbury. Clearly he doesn't follow the blogs of his own alive stuffed animals.