The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: doomglobe on July 27, 2004, 06:09:51 pm

Title: help me decipher little nephew slang
Post by: doomglobe on July 27, 2004, 06:09:51 pm
There are two big ones I am having trouble with:

'hoolies' which could be some kind of acronym or something, or just mean something along the lines of any of the things that sound like it here:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/browse.php?character=H&skip=6138

'blackberries' seems to be some kind of expensive lighting equipment? but I am not really sure...
Title: help me decipher little nephew slang
Post by: jough on July 27, 2004, 07:10:00 pm
Hoolie just means hooligan - it's one of his down-nasty peeps.
Title: help me decipher little nephew slang
Post by: AugustWest on July 27, 2004, 07:19:42 pm
I'm with Dan.  I took hoolie to mean booze.  Perhaps it's derived from Albert K. Hool, the inventor of malt liquor.
Title: help me decipher little nephew slang
Post by: sleepless_medic on July 27, 2004, 07:20:22 pm
Hoolies = hooligans.

Like jough sez; I registered just to reply, to make a contribtion after months of lurking, and somebody beats me to it. Drag.
Title: help me decipher little nephew slang
Post by: sleepless_medic on July 27, 2004, 07:58:12 pm
On further reading, it does seem "hoolies" (alternately, "H.O.O.L.I.E.S.") refers to individual servings of ethanol.

Hooligans are often ethanol users, perhaps that is the connection. Like Cockney rhyming slang, but not.
Title: help me decipher little nephew slang
Post by: CortJstr on July 27, 2004, 08:06:00 pm
I kind of ignore LN. I didn't like Lyle's blog at first because it was so chopped up and ugly but Lyle is like Umberto Eco compared to LN. But then who would that make Mr. Bear? I've cliched myself into a corner.
Title: help me decipher little nephew slang
Post by: Turbo Ninja on July 27, 2004, 09:00:19 pm
In hoolie matters, it's all in the context.  How can it mean "hooligan" in the ways LN uses it?  Hoolie is beer, to be hooleyed is to be drunk.
Title: help me decipher little nephew slang
Post by: JorgeFabregas on July 27, 2004, 09:14:53 pm
Whatever the origin of the word, his use of it makes me cringe.
Title: help me decipher little nephew slang
Post by: V-Adore on July 27, 2004, 09:46:45 pm
I'm still trying to cope with "Tha' Dribbla!"

What weirds me out is the use of "billet," which I think is a real word but cannot be sure about, and his continual improvisation of new and strange slangy signoffs.
Title: help me decipher little nephew slang
Post by: jough on July 27, 2004, 09:53:07 pm
Isn't that French for "ticket"?
Title: help me decipher little nephew slang
Post by: CortJstr on July 28, 2004, 01:16:11 am
I'm convinced that he's purposely making shit up just to make us feel old and out of touch. Like that one Calvin and Hobbes where Calvin invents the phrase "I'm phasing."
Title: help me decipher little nephew slang
Post by: doomglobe on July 28, 2004, 04:16:52 am
Quote from: "jough"
Isn't that French for "ticket"?

yes.

also, now I can read some of this blog. substituting beer for hooleys works about 75 percent of the time, allowing me to get something like a story out of most of these posts. man lil nephew is such a teenager. He makes me feel like an old man.
Title: help me decipher little nephew slang
Post by: Bozack on July 28, 2004, 04:26:13 am
As an actual teenager, I've got no problem reading his posts. It's like reading "A Clockwork Orange."
Title: help me decipher little nephew slang
Post by: andalucia on July 28, 2004, 08:13:30 pm
As a French-speaking, Burgess-reading teenager, I find it not so difficult either.
Title: help me decipher little nephew slang
Post by: AlohaDawg on July 28, 2004, 09:05:18 pm
Don't take it so seriously and it comes to you. The first poster had a problem with a term that was meant literally, I think..I assumed he meant blackberry wireless device...free your mind! Your ass will follow.
Title: help me decipher little nephew slang
Post by: palm trees on July 29, 2004, 11:21:22 am
i'm gonna stick my arm in on the side of hoolies = drink, not that it matters.

goth phase: well and truly ended.
Title: help me decipher little nephew slang
Post by: side_show on July 29, 2004, 02:14:47 pm
I must mention (again) that I am bothered by the fact that Little Nephew writes in ebonics even though he has supposedly converted to being a goth.
Title: help me decipher little nephew slang
Post by: JorgeFabregas on July 29, 2004, 03:31:08 pm
I don't think he writes in ebonics. Not all ridiculous jive is black.

Edit: I hope I am not Pat.
Title: help me decipher little nephew slang
Post by: Bozack on July 29, 2004, 09:51:06 pm
Quote from: "JorgeFabregas"
Edit: I hope I am not Pat.

I'm pretty sure everybody, eventually, is Pat.
Title: help me decipher little nephew slang
Post by: V-Adore on July 29, 2004, 10:20:01 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "JorgeFabregas"
Edit: I hope I am not Pat.

I'm pretty sure everybody, eventually, is Pat.

There is something plaintively sad about that.

I do not want ever to be the kind of person who would try to get a disabled man fired from Trader Joe's because his presence makes me uncomfortable.
Title: help me decipher little nephew slang
Post by: Bozack on July 30, 2004, 01:39:20 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I do not want ever to be the kind of person who would try to get a disabled man fired from Trader Joe's because his presence makes me uncomfortable.


Hahahahaa, oh, you will be.

YOU WILL BE.
Title: help me decipher little nephew slang
Post by: Mantonio on July 30, 2004, 03:48:03 am
Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I do not want ever to be the kind of person who would try to get a disabled man fired from Trader Joe's because his presence makes me uncomfortable.


Hahahahaa, oh, you will be.

YOU WILL BE.


So, will we also become the type of people who would try and make a citizens arrest against the mail man for delivering junk mail, or call the radio station just so we can say barbers should not make much money?  I hope not, even though I sometimes wish I could get a hair cut for free.  Also, I don't really think water ballons are all that funny, unless it's mailmen, barbers and disabled employees of Trader Joe's being pelted with them.
Title: help me decipher little nephew slang
Post by: CortJstr on July 30, 2004, 12:57:32 pm
Quote from: "Mantonio"
Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I do not want ever to be the kind of person who would try to get a disabled man fired from Trader Joe's because his presence makes me uncomfortable.


Hahahahaa, oh, you will be.

YOU WILL BE.

So, will we also become the type of people who would try and make a citizens arrest against the mail man for delivering junk mail, or call the radio station just so we can say barbers should not make much money?  I hope not, even though I sometimes wish I could get a hair cut for free.  Also, I don't really think water ballons are all that funny, unless it's mailmen, barbers and disabled employees of Trader Joe's being pelted with them.

I dunno, this has made me realize a lot of my Patish tendencies. Like I think anybody who starts a sentence "as a christian" is automatically wrong. Probably because said people are usually writing letters about how Gary Larson should be burned at the stake, etc.
Title: help me decipher little nephew slang
Post by: arkabee on July 30, 2004, 11:45:47 pm
W.T.F. does "buy a dog, blog" mean?????

help me?
Title: help me decipher little nephew slang
Post by: St_Zartan on July 31, 2004, 02:55:06 am
Quote from: "arkabee"
W.T.F. does "buy a dog, blog" mean?????


It is Secret American Slang for I am a teenager.

He's just trying to co-opt Ray's catchy yet meaningless signoffs (e.g. adios chochachichochachinos or whatever) but make it his own, in that small, retarded way teenagers go about doing things.

Which reminds me I've got like twenty-five boxes of notebooks to burn.
Title: help me decipher little nephew slang
Post by: Choop on July 31, 2004, 04:53:32 am
Dude, you can not convince me that L.N. knows a thing about Dokken.