The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: V-Adore on July 27, 2004, 10:25:33 pm

Title: A melted-down chili pepper nailed to a board -- 27 July
Post by: V-Adore on July 27, 2004, 10:25:33 pm
So many possible subject quotes, so little subject line.

This is clear evidence that we're probably going to see more and more integration of the blog material into the comic itself -- furthermore, unlike the previous SaniTaco thing, this is a strip which is far, far less good if you don't have the blog background. Is this the way of things to come?

Also, I like the image of Ray, Pool-Playing Carnival Gimp.
Title: A melted-down chili pepper nailed to a board -- 27 July
Post by: Choop on July 27, 2004, 10:37:00 pm
What about Molly's haircut? Her hair really looks no different whatsoever.

I also happen to think that this strip would stand well on its own, had I not read the blogs, because while references exist, they're also unnecessary in the context of this strip. Molly 'splains the situation, and Beef just expands on it.

What I like about this strip is that Molly seems to be getting more and more fed up with Beef, especially when the blogs are taken into context. "Okay, I get it. (And you won't be getting it much longer.)" It seems to portray their relationship as a little more realistic than most any other comic strip relationship I've ever seen.
Title: A melted-down chili pepper nailed to a board -- 27 July
Post by: V-Adore on July 27, 2004, 10:58:07 pm
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
What about Molly's haircut? Her hair really looks no different whatsoever.

I thought it looked a little different, but I'm not entirely sure. There's also the fact that Molly's hair looks entirely different in the comic from her blog profile image, so who knows?

Quote
I also happen to think that this strip would stand well on its own, had I not read the blogs, because while references exist, they're also unnecessary in the context of this strip. Molly 'splains the situation, and Beef just expands on it.

This is true enough. What I think I meant is that this strip, while containing its own joke fully ("Ray is bad at pool and Mr. Bear wins money from him") and being totally understandable to non-blog-readers, is significantly less funny than if you've been following the whole Krazy Pool thing and understand the extent of what's going on.

Quote
What I like about this strip is that Molly seems to be getting more and more fed up with Beef, especially when the blogs are taken into context. "Okay, I get it. (And you won't be getting it much longer.)" It seems to portray their relationship as a little more realistic than most any other comic strip relationship I've ever seen.

Well, I think it's realistic in both a positive and a negative way. On one hand, Molly is becoming less and less tolerant of Beef's foibles -- but on the other, they have lots of happy moments, and she obviously still likes him a lot. (See Beef's recent blog entry about the ribs.) It feels to me like she's very much coming to terms with his habits and trying to make the most of things.

(If I overanalyze Beef and Molly's relationship at times, it is because there are days when it seems like Onstad must be actively recording conversations I have with my SO and turning them into strips and blog entries. I think I may have actually had this conversation.)
Title: A melted-down chili pepper nailed to a board -- 27 July
Post by: CortJstr on July 28, 2004, 01:20:10 am
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
What I like about this strip is that Molly seems to be getting more and more fed up with Beef, especially when the blogs are taken into context. "Okay, I get it. (And you won't be getting it much longer.)" It seems to portray their relationship as a little more realistic than most any other comic strip relationship I've ever seen.

I dunno. I think if these were two real people we wouldjust see it as her saying "okay, I we get the joke now honey." But since it's a comic strip and several people are predicting break-up we take her comment as a harbinger of relationship doom. I guess just because we expect drama and accelerated relationships from our media. Or maybe I'm over-analyzing again and this is exactly why Chris cast us out.
Title: A melted-down chili pepper nailed to a board -- 27 July
Post by: AugustWest on July 28, 2004, 03:13:43 am
I dunno, this strip just didn't do much for me.  Seems a little like seeing the Critic on the Simpsons -- the crossover is a little forced.  Not that I'm against blog/strip interactivity, but it just didn't work for me in this case.  I pretty much felt like Molly -- OK Beef, enough with the patented Onst...er Beef brand imagery.  Ray the pool playing Gimp (G-imp?) was pretty funny though.

Personally, I think Molly's willingness to express her impatience with Beef is a sign they have a strong relationship.  Couples get irritated with each other (especially after they tell that same damn story the 10,000th time).  Molly feels secure enough to be honest with Beef, to tell him he needs to shut up.  It's better for her to express herself than to surpress her irritation with Beef and let it fester into dislike.
Title: A melted-down chili pepper nailed to a board -- 27 July
Post by: AugustWest on July 28, 2004, 03:15:22 am
1.  RE: previous post -- Jesus H. Christ, I'm turning in to Dr. Phil!

2. RE:  New title -- Yeah, the fat guy sitting on a little stool at the Tunnel of Love.
Title: A melted-down chili pepper nailed to a board -- 27 July
Post by: Bozack on July 28, 2004, 04:24:00 am
Ha, I actually really liked this one. Dude, check out Teodor's Naked Chef duds.
Title: A melted-down chili pepper nailed to a board -- 27 July
Post by: wombat on July 28, 2004, 02:00:38 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"

2. RE:  New title -- Yeah, the fat guy sitting on a little stool at the Tunnel of Love.


I've tried for a couple of hours to think of a clever response but I have to give up and just say that I love this so madly.
Title: A melted-down chili pepper nailed to a board -- 27 July
Post by: Turbo Ninja on July 28, 2004, 04:32:13 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
Ha, I actually really liked this one. Dude, check out Teodor's Naked Chef duds.


Looks like the same gear Teodor's always sported: turtleneck and strange knickers or whatever.  It varies a little, but I wouldn't say he's looking any more Naked Chef than usual (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=05282003).
Title: Re: A melted-down chili pepper nailed to a board -- 27 July
Post by: MSC on July 28, 2004, 06:53:29 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
this strip is just fine as a stand alone.


I agree.  I am not enjoying the Strip/Blog synergy.
Title: A melted-down chili pepper nailed to a board -- 27 July
Post by: arkabee on July 29, 2004, 05:08:21 pm
this was my favorite strip in a long time.  laugh out loud funny.