The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Gimpson on August 02, 2004, 03:01:01 pm

Title: Sonic Youth is apparently a good band.
Post by: Gimpson on August 02, 2004, 03:01:01 pm
My musical taste growing up was mainly teenage angsty (Nine Inch Nails, Cure, etc.) and I kind of stopped listening to music entirely in the late '90s until I discovered the hippy crap that I mainly listen to these days.  I never did the indie rock thing, but am now dating a very cute indie rock girl so I am getting some exposure to different types of music.  

I'm not sure where Sonic Youth fits in there these days since they've been together basically forever, but we drove over to Columbia, MO to see them play last Saturday and I enjoyed the show a whole lot more than I was really expecting to.  After several years of mainly quiet hippy music, it was kind of cool to see a band with three guitars, bass, drums and a whole mess o' feedback.
Title: Sonic Youth is apparently a good band.
Post by: sailor on August 02, 2004, 07:09:17 pm
Sonic youth is probably the most influential outfit on any band that calls themselves indie. Go get evol, bad moon rising, sister (especially sister), and daydeam nation. All amazing albums.

When yr done with them, you'll basically want to perform an act on self-castration out of shame for ever molesting yr ears with "phish".
Title: Sonic Youth is apparently a good band.
Post by: andalucia on August 02, 2004, 07:19:16 pm
I haven't listened to much Sonic Youth in a while, due in part to my immense disgust for their new album, which has no, none whatsoever, songs by the wonderful Lee Ranaldo, the band's resident beatnik type (more so than the rest).  But many of their older albums are pretty awesome, and certainly several thousand times better than Phish.*

Murray Street, which is recent, is one of my favourites, and I'd also recommend Sister (which gets extra points for having a Phillip K. Dick motif), Confusion is Sex, and EVOL.  Stay away from Goo at all costs... I consider it an abomination.



*One of my friends actually tried to get me to listen to Phish a while ago, and even said "No really, download 'Floating in the Velvet Sea' (or something quite like that)... it's really good!  I mean, I know, I'm a snob, but dear lord.
Title: Sonic Youth is apparently a good band.
Post by: Gimpson on August 02, 2004, 08:00:23 pm
Well, in my own defense, I do know better than to like Phish.  (Though I will shamefully admit that I spent more than a little effort downloading shows with the assumption that there must be something good there...)  

For hippy music these days I tend to like the jazzier/funkier instrumental type bands like Steve Kimock, Galactic, Dirty Dozen Brass Band and maybe a bit of Particle.  

I'll definitely check out those recommendations, though.  I don't recognize many of those names from flipping through the gf's CD wallet and iPod.
Title: Sonic Youth is apparently a good band.
Post by: CortJstr on August 02, 2004, 08:07:01 pm
I hate Phish so much. And all my Social D. knowledge comes from soundtracks like Clerks and compilations like Rock Against Bush. But they sound pretty dandy. Plus they were on the Simpsons.
Title: Sonic Youth is apparently a good band.
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 02, 2004, 08:36:37 pm
I had pizza with Social Distortion.
Title: Sonic Youth is apparently a good band.
Post by: V-Adore on August 02, 2004, 08:47:38 pm
I just don't get Phish. I understand that the Deadheads needed a rebound band, but why do people still listen to them?

I do sort of like "Bouncing 'Round the Room," though, which I accidentally downloaded when it was mislabeled as a Fruvous song.
Title: Sonic Youth is apparently a good band.
Post by: Bozack on August 02, 2004, 10:54:31 pm
The other night, I got mega high, and Phish sounded good. But then I realized what the hell I was listening to and quickly switched in a Neil Young cassette I found on the floor somewhere. It was a real weird scene.
Anyway, I am a Sonic Youth fan, I guess. I mean dang. I want to be them so bad. And they're a New York Art School band, and I'm going to a New York Art School and starting a band......HMMMMM.
Title: Sonic Youth is apparently a good band.
Post by: Limmo on August 04, 2004, 06:15:18 am
Goo is the only SY record I ever got into, mostly because it was the only record my circle of friends in Amherst played in the spring of 1990.  I also have a mix CD of their stuff, running from Sister stuff to "The Diamond Sea."   I just never really hopped on their wagon, though I saw them at the Whisky-A-Go-Go and liked them a very great deal.

I love everything about Phish except their music.
Title: Sonic Youth is apparently a good band.
Post by: sailor on August 05, 2004, 10:28:01 am
Quote from: "Bozack"
The other night, I got mega high, and Phish sounded good.


This is why Nancy Reagan, D.A.R.E., after school specials, and your parents were right.
Title: Re: Sonic Youth is apparently a good band.
Post by: sjlimmer on August 05, 2004, 06:22:17 pm
Quote from: "Gimpson"

I'm not sure where Sonic Youth fits in there these days since they've been together basically forever, but we drove over to Columbia, MO to see them play last Saturday and I enjoyed the show a whole lot more than I was really expecting to.


Dammit, I whish I had known about this.  I would have seriously considered driving the ~100 mi to see this.  Mostly because nothing even remotely this cool will likely be showing here in the middle of nowhere anytime soon....

I should've gone to more shows before I moved out here.