The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Formica on August 04, 2004, 10:04:26 pm

Title: I ate a hamburger and said Hooray - August 4th, 2004
Post by: Formica on August 04, 2004, 10:04:26 pm
Ah, Phillippe. Even when confronted with the ugly truth of Springsteen's seminal work, you merely put your own special spin on it.

Carry on.
Title: I ate a hamburger and said Hooray - August 4th, 2004
Post by: CortJstr on August 04, 2004, 11:34:37 pm
Holy crap Philippe has his hand over his heart while listening to the Beef read.
Title: I ate a hamburger and said Hooray - August 4th, 2004
Post by: V-Adore on August 04, 2004, 11:38:56 pm
Why is Philippe wearing a football helmet?

Is this the new uniform of Philippe Otter, Agent of H.U.G.S.?
Title: I ate a hamburger and said Hooray - August 4th, 2004
Post by: Mantonio on August 05, 2004, 12:44:21 am
Philippe is the next Ronald Reagan.  Awsome.
Title: I ate a hamburger and said Hooray - August 4th, 2004
Post by: sailor on August 05, 2004, 07:29:29 am
It seems that Philippe and G.W. share the same political outlook for the US.
Title: I ate a hamburger and said Hooray - August 4th, 2004
Post by: arlucasinc on August 05, 2004, 01:47:24 pm
Can I just tell you how much I hate 4th of July fireworks set to music. Let's see... You get Born in the USA. That's a protest song. You get Keep On Rockin' in the Free World. That's a protest song. And of course, you get Proud to be an American, and I'm sorry, but if I never heard that song again, everything would be perfectly okay.

I guess most folks are just like Philippe. They hear USA and think it's patriotic. Whatever.

I do love Keep on Rockin' in the Free World. I just think it's idiotic to play it during these types of things, or maybe what I really think is that all people are idiots. Yes, that's it.
Title: I ate a hamburger and said Hooray - August 4th, 2004
Post by: andalucia on August 05, 2004, 03:15:22 pm
Quote from: "arlucasinc"
Can I just tell you how much I hate 4th of July fireworks set to music. Let's see... You get Born in the USA. That's a protest song. You get Keep On Rockin' in the Free World. That's a protest song.


Add "Fortunate Son" to this little genre... I saw it a while ago in a patriotic ad for #####.
Title: I ate a hamburger and said Hooray - August 4th, 2004
Post by: arlucasinc on August 05, 2004, 05:04:17 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "arlucasinc"
Can I just tell you how much I hate 4th of July fireworks set to music. Let's see... You get Born in the USA. That's a protest song. You get Keep On Rockin' in the Free World. That's a protest song.


Add "Fortunate Son" to this little genre... I saw it a while ago in a patriotic ad for ******.


Yeah, I was gonna say that one, too, but I don't think I've ever heard it specifically at a fireworks display. They'll pull out anything that says something about "red white and blue." It kills me that CCR would even agree to allow them to use it. I guess it's all about the Benjamins.
Title: I ate a hamburger and said Hooray - August 4th, 2004
Post by: AugustWest on August 05, 2004, 05:30:23 pm
Quote from: "arlucasinc"
Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "arlucasinc"
Can I just tell you how much I hate 4th of July fireworks set to music. Let's see... You get Born in the USA. That's a protest song. You get Keep On Rockin' in the Free World. That's a protest song.


Add "Fortunate Son" to this little genre... I saw it a while ago in a patriotic ad for ******.


Yeah, I was gonna say that one, too, but I don't think I've ever heard it specifically at a fireworks display. They'll pull out anything that says something about "red white and blue." It kills me that CCR would even agree to allow them to use it. I guess it's all about the Benjamins.


I like to think that Fogerty et al view it as an "in-joke" type situation -- i.e. "Ha Ha, you're paying me huge sums of money to use a song that's making fun of you."
Title: I ate a hamburger and said Hooray - August 4th, 2004
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 05, 2004, 06:48:31 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "arlucasinc"
Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "arlucasinc"
Can I just tell you how much I hate 4th of July fireworks set to music. Let's see... You get Born in the USA. That's a protest song. You get Keep On Rockin' in the Free World. That's a protest song.


Add "Fortunate Son" to this little genre... I saw it a while ago in a patriotic ad for ******.


Yeah, I was gonna say that one, too, but I don't think I've ever heard it specifically at a fireworks display. They'll pull out anything that says something about "red white and blue." It kills me that CCR would even agree to allow them to use it. I guess it's all about the Benjamins.


I like to think that Fogerty et al view it as an "in-joke" type situation -- i.e. "Ha Ha, you're paying me huge sums of money to use a song that's making fun of you."


Also, one really good way to dilute the message of a protest song is to make it mainstream by adopting it. History is written by the winners.
Title: I ate a hamburger and said Hooray - August 4th, 2004
Post by: andalucia on August 06, 2004, 12:12:35 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Also, one really good way to dilute the message of a protest song is to make it mainstream by adopting it. History is written by the winners.


This reminded me somehow of another example of this phenomenon: "This Land is Your Land", the closing verses of which are usually omitted when it's performed by people who aren't Arlo Guthrie.  (Also, it was a very very long time before I learned who the song was by and that the Canadian lyrics weren't the real ones.  Sigh.)
Title: I ate a hamburger and said Hooray - August 4th, 2004
Post by: Flenker on August 06, 2004, 12:27:45 am
at a fireworks display I went to this summer, they played Jimmy Eat World's "Bleed American".....
Title: I ate a hamburger and said Hooray - August 4th, 2004
Post by: wombat on August 06, 2004, 02:01:57 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
the Canadian lyrics weren't the real ones.  Sigh.)


What are the Canadian lyrics?

Let's see - "From Manitoba...", that scans beautifully.  But now I'm stuck.
Title: I ate a hamburger and said Hooray - August 4th, 2004
Post by: CortJstr on August 06, 2004, 02:09:44 am
Quote from: "Flenker"
at a fireworks display I went to this summer, they played Jimmy Eat World's "Bleed American".....

I find it interesting that they renamed the album from Bleed American to self titled but left the song alone and continued to use it as a single.
Title: I ate a hamburger and said Hooray - August 4th, 2004
Post by: St_Zartan on August 06, 2004, 03:21:08 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Also, one really good way to dilute the message of a protest song is to make it mainstream by adopting it. History is written by the winners.


Or by presenting it thusly:

Some folks are born made to wave the flag
Oooh that red white and blue

AND YOUR SOUTHEAST TEXAS CHEVY DEALERS ARE WAVING RED WHITE AND BLUE-SIZED SAVINGS RIGHT IN YOUR FAT DUMB FACE ALL WEEKEND LONG
Title: I ate a hamburger and said Hooray - August 4th, 2004
Post by: AugustWest on August 06, 2004, 04:29:13 am
Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "andalucia"
the Canadian lyrics weren't the real ones.  Sigh.)


What are the Canadian lyrics?

Let's see - "From Manitoba...", that scans beautifully.  But now I'm stuck.


I am intrigued by this as well.  Please post them.
Title: I ate a hamburger and said Hooray - August 4th, 2004
Post by: JorgeFabregas on August 06, 2004, 05:57:53 am
I found these on a federal government site in a section of alternate lyrics. It did not have the original last verse anywhere on the page:


This land is your land,
This land is my land,
From Bonavista
To Vancouver Island,
From the Artic Circle,
To the Great Lake waters,
This land was made for you and me.

http://www.niehs.nih.gov/kids/lyrics/thisland.htm
Title: I ate a hamburger and said Hooray - August 4th, 2004
Post by: Formica on August 06, 2004, 04:17:28 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "andalucia"
the Canadian lyrics weren't the real ones.  Sigh.)


What are the Canadian lyrics?

Let's see - "From Manitoba...", that scans beautifully.  But now I'm stuck.


From Manitoba... to French Canuck land?
From the sticky tar sands
To the cold Newfoundland
This land was made for you and me (eh!)