The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: linnea on August 08, 2004, 08:22:09 pm
-
I set up an album with all the photos that I took during my week in Alaska for The Interview:
http://Somebody nice.typepad.com/photos/Elbonia
(http://Somebody nice.typepad.com/photos/Elbonia/Elbonia_010.jpg)
(http://Somebody nice.typepad.com/photos/Elbonia/Elbonia_015.jpg)
(http://Somebody nice.typepad.com/photos/Elbonia/Elbonia_017.jpg)
It's beautiful there and they're offering more money than I expected. The town is full of amazingly friendly and awesome folks. It is a great little community. Now I'm just figuring logistics before I sign my acceptance letter.
-
Hot dang! Those are gorgeous shots and make me very nostalgic for Fairbanks. Elbonia looks perfectly lovely, and I'm glad things went well.
Good luck with moving! You sound like you've got a lovely adventure before you.
-
Oh, wow, that's beautiful. Good luck, hon, it looks like you're going to be having a very beautiful time.
-
I'll try and keep the Northern Exposure jokes to a minimum.
-
My God, that's awesome. Maybe I should be braver about where to apply for jobs. But could I live without all the Asian restaurants?
-
I'll try and keep the Northern Exposure jokes to a minimum.
It's Northern Exposure that keeps reminding me how much I want to move somewhere that beautiful.
And OK the Highlands are capable of bestowing that upon you, but they're cold and wet, or just windy.
-
It is a bit weird to be back in Denver. In Elbonia it was light pretty much the entire time I was there. When I was in Anchorage it got dark around 1AM. Land of the Midnight Sun, indeed.
-
I couldn't do it.
But best of luck and all that.
-
Holy ... shit!
Movers are going to be here on the 31st. I am glad that I'm taking this moving thing slowly. At any rate, the lovely HR ladies are getting me an airline ticket for Sept. 2nd. I will miss the Labor Day festivities here, but it'll give me a good opportunity to meet people up in Elbonia. Plus I need to get on the payroll ASAP.
It's all happening so fast! I can hardly wait.
Oh, and I got "the boys" extra-deluxe kennels for their flight. Each of the kennels have a small litter pan bolted to the back, and I got these rad foam cushions that are covered in absorbent fleece. They'll be comfortable for the little guys to sit on for the trip. I'm also planning on putting some towels in there and whatnot. (note: In the photo below, the kennels have my bedpillows in there, to get rid of the horrible store smells. Obviously the little guys will have a lot more room in their kennels than it appears).
(http://Somebody nice.typepad.com/photos/lennybruce/flashflood_004.jpg)
I've got it all, hopefully. I got little kits that have food dishes and "LIVE ANIMALS THIS WAY UP" stickers for the kennels. I've got Ziploc bags full of food for the little guys, and I'm going to be taking a 3-week supply of their kibble (http://www.royalcanin.us/RCSite/CaninHome.nsf/catprd) in my suitcase. I will probably have to order their food online or something. We'll see. Damn.
-
GodDAMN that looks like a beautiful place!
Are your kitties brothers? They look like twins in that picture.
-
Yes! Milan and Lennybruce are brothers. They had another sibling in their litter, but he or she didn't make it. :(
On the bright side, Milan and Lenny are the BESTEST kitties that anyone could ask for. They're Scottish Folds. They have their own page here:
http://home.comcast.net/~linnea78/ml.html
And thank you for the compliments on my apartment. It's brand-new and I ADORE it. I am soooo gonna miss it when I go to Alaska. It's got a huge oval tub that I love. It's going to suck to get used to a normal-sized tub. Hee! I sound like one hell of a drama queen: "Oh the HUMANITY I am going to have to shower in a normal-sized enclosure! "
-
Oh, uh, actually I referring to the photos of Alaska up top, but it does look like a lovely apartment as well.
-
Man, Linnea#####, your apartment looks nice and all, but nice enough for someone to proclaim GOD DAMN WHAT A BEAUTIFUL PLACE!?
I thinkn't.
Good luck with your packing and move.
-
Hee! Mea culpa.
The fuck*ng movers are jerking me around. I'm scrambling to find another quote. Motherfuckers. They quoted me ninety cents a pound, which for my one-bedroom apartment is about $3,500. They're trying to backpedal and say that it should've been $1.50 a pound, which is like two grand more than their initial quote.
I"m trying to read my contract (bleh) to see if I can hold them to their original quote. Anyone with contract law experience? :(
-
Well, yes, I have lots of contract law experience. I am not acting as your attorney, you must understand, but I would advise you to seek another quote. It's not a good idea to get involved in litigation with someone who can hold your stuff hostage (or lose, damage or destroy said stuff.)
Also, if this is how they are acting now, consider yourself timely warned. Find another mover.
-
Also, if this is how they are acting now, consider yourself timely warned. Find another mover.
amen.
the kevbob corolary: don't piss off the waitress, she'll spit in your food.
-
Storing your stuff looks better and better, don't it?
Remember, you can ALWAYS get more stuff, and your 11 year friend could be trusted to ship things to you if/when you need them, right? Or bring them when he comes out to visit?
I'm still a huge fan of the Storage contingency.
-
Again, AD has some experience with this, so I must concur. Storage around here is around $100 a month for any decent sized apartment.
-
Or look at it another way: What can you get for that $5500? I bet you could do pretty well furnishing an apartment with that. And/or getting stuff you can't live without shipped.
It will save you a lot of hassles if you can't get them to commit to the original price just to give them the finger and store, seriously. You don't need MORE stress at this time of your life.
-
That's true - for $5500 you can get a lot of new furniture.
BUT
will the AK people reimburse you for buying new furniture, or just for shipping? I mean, for $5500 it sounds like unless you have really nice furniture that it would cost more to ship it than replace it.
Of course, furniture on that little island must be imported - so maybe furniture there is REALLY expensive.
These are things one must consider.
-
The architecture firm for which my wife works has built things in Elbonia and there may be staff members there. They also have worked to build sites that are sustainable, ecolgical and sensitive to Native Alaskans. In fact, they have a RimFirst division that is staffed by Native Alaskans who work on site plans with these goals in mind.
Just thought that might interest a city planner. They have built community centers, resorts, police stations and things like that in the islands and she thinks in Elbonia. they are the biggest Arch firm in Alaska.