The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: agnes on August 10, 2004, 12:55:04 am
-
Achewood is not necessarily overwhelmed with visual details but often there are little things that totally sell it. E.g.,
Beef wincing at Teodor's dirty talk (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01102002)
The towel around behind-the-scenes Lyle's neck (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01282002)
Todd lowering his head and flipping the bird (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02282002)
Ray lowering his head and tapping his toe, pre-dance (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03282002)
Fuckin' (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=08072002)
Feel free to contribute you own and laugh warmly and fondly.
-
Huh. "Fuckin'" makes even more sense now that we know about Pat's onanistic tendencies.
-
I almost made Fuckin' my avatar when I first arrived. That is perhaps my favorite little bit of background business in Achewood, ever.
-
I almost made Fuckin' my avatar when I first arrived. That is perhaps my favorite little bit of background business in Achewood, ever.
me too, me too, back on dumbrella. I had this hell of shitty computer at work and i was all tryin' to make fuckin' my avatar and i just couldn't make the shit work. Noe that i have pirate photoshop and stuff, i could do it, but the moment has passed.,
-
"Fuckin'" is a particularly brilliant bit of background minutiae, yeah. I think it's almost better in that it's totally unexplained.
My general pic for this, though, is facial expressions. Onstad has a remarkable gift for comics with one-sided dialogue (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=08042003) and a remarkably wide range of facial styles and moods for such a sketchy character set.
-
I was actually considering taking "Fuckin'" into Illustrator and trying to copy it and enlarge it, so I could print it out and hang it in my dorm room.
-
Furious (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03102003) Beef (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03172003)
-
Another one that I realized as I was browsing the archives:
How astoundingly awkward Beef looks when trying to act like an actual animal (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01142004)
(This may just tie in with my bizarre obsession with figuring out the interactions of the Underground and the human world and the drift of the characters from dependent pets and possessions of humans to independent actors in their own society, but hey. Hell of rad art, if nothing else. Also, two strips down we get the best T-shirt Onstad never produced. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01162004))
-
Also, two strips down we get the best T-shirt Onstad never produced. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01162004))
That's also the strip with the demi-lune.
-
I'll second the facial expressions thing -- the third panel of the saddest thing redux (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=06022003) makes me laugh every time.
-
Grabbing Teodor by the shoulders (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02212003)
and
The copyright notice (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=05032004)
and
We never see all of Beef's riddle (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01062004).
-
We never see all of Beef's riddle (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01062004).
Yeah, but it's sort of obvious in context. (And with letter size.)
And yeah, August, that is a pretty nice demi-lune, come to think of it.
The "grabbing Teodor by the shoulders" link reminded me of my all-time favorite bit of minutiae: the fact that the matchstick doody guy (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02212003) is apparently named after the dude they named my college after. (http://www.williams.edu/home/about_history.php)
-
So Beef has already stuck his own finger up his butt twice. So when Molly does it it won't be the first time.
Man, only twice? I guess he doesn't wash up there, huh?
-
Not with his finger, anyway.
Maybe with Pat's toothbrush.
-
The copyright notice (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=05032004)
Beautiful. I'd never noticed that before.
-
That's because it wasn't there before. Wasn't that an archival revision?
I was looking for something in the archives a few days ago and noticed a whole bunch of revisions. I thought I was just imagining things but I spidered the entire site last year around this time, and checked my old leeched copy with what's on Achewood.com now and a bunch of strips *are* different.
Maybe he's been cleaning them up, adding little tidbits and such for the books. Each addition/change seemed to be an improvement as far as I could tell.
-
That's because it wasn't there before. Wasn't that an archival revision?
CortJstr powers, activate!
It was there (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?p=17451#17451) in the original.
-
That's because it wasn't there before. Wasn't that an archival revision?
I was looking for something in the archives a few days ago and noticed a whole bunch of revisions. I thought I was just imagining things but I spidered the entire site last year around this time, and checked my old leeched copy with what's on Achewood.com now and a bunch of strips *are* different.
Maybe he's been cleaning them up, adding little tidbits and such for the books. Each addition/change seemed to be an improvement as far as I could tell.
See, this makes me think of a particularly interesting concept: the Historical Achewood Project, dedicated to chronicling Onstad's changes in strips that he doesn't bother to tell us about. I agree that most of them have been positive, but hell, it'd be good to be able to trace this stuff back.
-
See, this makes me think of a particularly interesting concept: the Historical Achewood Project, dedicated to chronicling Onstad's changes in strips that he doesn't bother to tell us about. I agree that most of them have been positive, but hell, it'd be good to be able to trace this stuff back.
Yeah, because how could we hold our heads up at the geek convention if we didn't do something like this? Sheesh, we gotta have standards around here!
-
Yeah, because how could we hold our heads up at the geek convention if we didn't do something like this?
With giant metal braces, to keep our flimsy, pale, and hilariously undersized necks from snapping under our heads' weight. We could decorate the braces with stickers, or glued-on pasta.
I believe they call that "cosplay" and occasionally cash is involved.
-
Ok, on the subject of revisions:
Was Nice Pete always in the dumbwaiter (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09022003) and I never noticed?
-
Yeah, because how could we hold our heads up at the geek convention if we didn't do something like this?
With giant metal braces, to keep our flimsy, pale, and hilariously undersized necks from snapping under our heads' weight. We could decorate the braces with stickers, or glued-on pasta.
I believe they call that "cosplay" and occasionally cash is involved.
Glavin.
-
Ok, on the subject of revisions:
Was Nice Pete always in the dumbwaiter (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09022003) and I never noticed?
Yes. Which just goes to show you that any serial-killing blowjob can find a friend / room in Achewood Estates.
Is this guy technically Pat's friend? Because Pat is always the go-to guy for Nice Pete information (phone number, forensic hang-out data, etc). You'd think someone as hypercritical as Pat would be able to tolerate Nice Pete's stilted backwater murder diction for exactly two seconds. Pat wouldn't say, hey, come watch Braveheart and eat designer pizza with us, Nice Pete.
Unless of course there was a very convincing PowerPoint presentation involved. I used the Wingdings2 font which is a Microsoft pack-in to represent dead people I thought were my friends
EDIT: WHAT THE HELL YOU WOULDN'T EVEN THINK PAT WOULD EVEN LIKE BRAVEHEART IS THIS PEER PRESSURE OR SOMETHING
-
Is this guy technically Pat's friend? Because Pat is always the go-to guy for Nice Pete information (phone number, forensic hang-out data, etc). You'd think someone as hypercritical as Pat would be able to tolerate Nice Pete's stilted backwater murder diction for exactly two seconds. Pat wouldn't say, hey, come watch Braveheart and eat designer pizza with us, Nice Pete.
Well, after you escape from jail with a guy, you have a certain... responsibility to him, you know? To at least send him an invitation to pizza-and-movie-night, even if you know he won't accept, just because of that solidarity. And also because he could kill you in five seconds with your designer pizza.
EDIT: WHAT THE HELL YOU WOULDN'T EVEN THINK PAT WOULD EVEN LIKE BRAVEHEART IS THIS PEER PRESSURE OR SOMETHING
Pat is one of those guys who figures he has to like anything that gets enough critical praise. He is desperately trying to explain to himself how Braveheart is important and meaningful and he's just glad Ray is paying for the drinks.
-
After you've tossed a man's salad in prison you're his be0tzch fa lyfe.
Pound some ass, glass.
-
The copyright notice (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=05032004)
I knew i'd seen that design somewhere. Is 'stad a penis fan or is isaac a 'stad fan?
(http://www.updirect.com/store/graphics/00000001/wheelsmall.gif)
-
Pat is one of those guys who figures he has to like anything that gets enough critical praise. He is desperately trying to explain to himself how Braveheart is important and meaningful and he's just glad Ray is paying for the drinks.
I dunno. I kind of thought that Pat would go all Indie Rock Pete on us and hate stuff just because it's mainstream. He reminds of the kind of guy who loved Iron Monkay 5 years ago but now must hate it because of the Quentin Tarantino re-release.
-
Achewood is not necessarily overwhelmed with visual details but often there are little things that totally sell it. E.g.,
Ray lowering his head and tapping his toe, pre-dance (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03282002)
Feel free to contribute you own and laugh warmly and fondly.
So now why is Beef so terrified of dancing? He seemed to be doing a good job back in the day. And we know that he wasn't all split on green.
-
Pat is one of those guys who figures he has to like anything that gets enough critical praise. He is desperately trying to explain to himself how Braveheart is important and meaningful and he's just glad Ray is paying for the drinks.
I dunno. I kind of thought that Pat would go all Indie Rock Pete on us and hate stuff just because it's mainstream. He reminds of the kind of guy who loved Iron Monkay 5 years ago but now must hate it because of the Quentin Tarantino re-release.
Well, I do think he's one of those who hates things that are too popular, very much in an Indie Rock Pete mode, but I also get the feeling that he's the sort of guy who feels honor-bound to consume and really try to like anything that gets enough critical praise or Oscars, if only so he can dissect it at cocktail parties. You know, one of those guys who only saw Gladiator once it won Best Picture?
-
Achewood is not necessarily overwhelmed with visual details but often there are little things that totally sell it. E.g.,
Ray lowering his head and tapping his toe, pre-dance (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03282002)
Feel free to contribute you own and laugh warmly and fondly.
So now why is Beef so terrified of dancing? He seemed to be doing a good job back in the day. And we know that he wasn't all split on green.
hmm. can only assume he's pretty lit up and might as well try his hand [the hand with a frosty one in].
but with pat saying "dig"? and this (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01102002), i reckon it's more likely it took stad a while to realise he had a prize central character, and a prize dickhead, on the cards with the cat trio.
-
oh, and the ugly plant (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09112003).
-
but with pat saying "dig"? and this (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01102002), i reckon it's more likely it took stad a while to realise he had a prize central character, and a prize dickhead, on the cards with the cat trio.
Well, remember -- Pat did go through a pseudo-hipster phase, all up with his porkpie hat. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=06042002) He discarded it quickly, though, although that was probably as much Ray's fault as anything.
With Beef, I think it's actually a vital part of his character progression. His primary development path has been away; he started as sort of overly-attached to Ray, almost servile, and totally emotionally helpless, (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=05072002) but as he's gone on he's become more independent, more capable of expressing anger and frustration with Ray and his plans, and generally more capable of living his own life.
(Favorite minutiae I discovered while totally CortJstr'ing my strip references: the wide variety of crotch-coverers used by Ray in lieu of a thong in the Todd's Thong Theft (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03042002) storyline. Also rediscovering the "intermittently in color" Achewood days.)
-
(Favorite minutiae I discovered while totally CortJstr'ing my strip references: the wide variety of crotch-coverers used by Ray in lieu of a thong in the Todd's Thong Theft (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03042002) storyline.
It always creeped me out that Ray covered himself with a non-alive stuffed elephant (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03062002). Was it killed, then restuffed? Suffocated? Why is it not alive?
-
(Favorite minutiae I discovered while totally CortJstr'ing my strip references: the wide variety of crotch-coverers used by Ray in lieu of a thong in the Todd's Thong Theft (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03042002) storyline.
It always creeped me out that Ray covered himself with a non-alive stuffed elephant (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03062002). Was it killed, then restuffed? Suffocated? Why is it not alive?
Oh, you only assume it wasn't alive.
Maybe that's why Tina finally left Ray for good? Too many sordid flings with elephants where they were doin' it all inanimate style?
-
The rain. (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=11072003)
-
The rain. (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=11072003)
Yes - I love the last panel. It's just like it is outside here right now.
Also, welcome Va!
-
Yes, welcome! Enjoy the forum, and thanks for reminding me of that strip. For all it may have lacked in narrative continuity or closure, that storyline did have absolutely lovely art.
-
Thanks for the welcome.
Ever had an "Achewood moment" in your life? One fine evening, my husband asked me where the Crystal Chronicals manual was, and I looked, and one of my cats was standing on it (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10012001).
-
Thanks for the welcome.
Ever had an "Achewood moment" in your life? One fine evening, my husband asked me where the Crystal Chronicals manual was, and I looked, and one of my cats was standing on it (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10012001).
Yeah, what is up with that? My SO also has the Crystal Chronicals manual, and, for whatever reason, our smallest cat, Baby, is all about standing on it, sitting on it, and napping on it, etc. This actually goes for any magazine, flier or news paper on the floor. How is this more special, or more comfortable than the floor itself, or the many chairs and couches available?
-
Yeah, what is up with that? My SO also has the Crystal Chronicals manual, and, for whatever reason, our smallest cat, Baby, is all about standing on it, sitting on it, and napping on it, etc. This actually goes for any magazine, flier or news paper on the floor. How is this more special, or more comfortable than the floor itself, or the many chairs and couches available?
Seems like a good question for Ray's Place.
-
Today I had an Italian BMT on parmesan oregano bread with Baked Lay's, if that counts.
-
he knows how far it is (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=06262002)