The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Bozack on August 12, 2004, 06:12:21 am

Title: August 12th- KLANK! SOB!
Post by: Bozack on August 12, 2004, 06:12:21 am
Man, there was no really great phrase from today that I could use. I mean, yeah, Emeril and Mickey quotes, but they lacked a certain gee nee say kwah, a certain peed a teer, a certain marmelade....
I really like how Onstad is running on Bozack time now. And the second to last panel Phillippe face is shock and AWE.
Title: August 12th- KLANK! SOB!
Post by: jough on August 12, 2004, 06:35:46 am
That face wasn't shock and awe - it was SHOCK SHOCK HORROR HORROR SHOCK SHOCK HORROR!
Title: August 12th- KLANK! SOB!
Post by: linnea on August 12, 2004, 07:56:20 am
Oh, man. I think that my constitution is either too delicate, like a hot-house flower, or else my sad little brain identifies too closely with Philippe. That's going to be giving me nightmares. :(
Title: August 12th- KLANK! SOB!
Post by: Mantonio on August 12, 2004, 08:29:38 am
Quote from: "linnea"
Oh, man. I think that my constitution is either too delicate, like a hot-house flower, or else my sad little brain identifies too closely with Philippe. That's going to be giving me nightmares. :(


Yea, same here with the nightmares.  It doesn't help matters that I read this strip after driving back a spookyish canyon north of town to watch the meteor shower.  I have an overactive imagination, so I kind of made myself nervous thinking about evil indian ghosts and UFO's - this particular area has a bit of UFO folklore attatched to it.  I don't really believe in any of that stuff.  Still, I start thinking about the unknown in such a situation and pretty soon I'm more nervous than Roast Beef on stage at Carnegie Hall.  

So yea, this strip gave me more willies than it should have in normal circumstances.  

Oh, and I'd like to see a strip where Lyle takes Philippe camping and tells him all sorts of ghost stories.
Title: Re: August 12th- KLANK! SOB!
Post by: sailor on August 12, 2004, 09:12:59 am
Quote from: "Bozack"
And the second to last panel Phillippe face is shock and AWE.


more like SHOCK AND AWESOME
Title: August 12th- KLANK! SOB!
Post by: Steve Hogan on August 12, 2004, 12:21:33 pm
Man, that strip was like a metaphor for MY ENTIRE LIFE.  

SOB
Title: August 12th- KLANK! SOB!
Post by: CortJstr on August 12, 2004, 01:11:13 pm
Quote from: "jough"
That face wasn't shock and awe - it was SHOCK SHOCK HORROR HORROR SHOCK SHOCK HORROR!

Jough, you are a bastard.
Title: August 12th- KLANK! SOB!
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on August 12, 2004, 02:32:16 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "jough"
That face wasn't shock and awe - it was SHOCK SHOCK HORROR HORROR SHOCK SHOCK HORROR!

Jough, you are a bastard.


Seriously. Earworm city.
Title: August 12th- KLANK! SOB!
Post by: V-Adore on August 12, 2004, 03:14:21 pm
That's the most terrified Philippe expression ever. And, to be fair, it's being lavished on the most terrifying pancake the world has ever seen. Jesus!

I like how the last panel is a blatant swipe from the first Philippe's Mom strip. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01292002)
Title: August 12th- KLANK! SOB!
Post by: revdj on August 12, 2004, 03:27:42 pm
This was so SAD!

Poor little guy :(
Title: August 12th- KLANK! SOB!
Post by: CortJstr on August 12, 2004, 04:22:39 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I like how the last panel is a blatant swipe from the first Philippe's Mom strip. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01292002)

I thought you meant he reused the exact same panel. But yeah, pretty close.
Title: August 12th- KLANK! SOB!
Post by: side_show on August 12, 2004, 04:52:15 pm
On re-reading it again, I love how Phillippe apears even more excited over the "French" Mickey pancake.

Also - is that Popeye mixed with Micky penis, or is it just me?
Title: August 12th- KLANK! SOB!
Post by: Bozack on August 12, 2004, 04:56:54 pm
Dude, that's EMERIL!
Title: August 12th- KLANK! SOB!
Post by: side_show on August 12, 2004, 05:25:38 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
Dude, that's EMERIL!


What?  Emeril isn't French!  (But then again, neither is Mickey penis or Popeye)
Title: August 12th- KLANK! SOB!
Post by: arkabee on August 12, 2004, 05:33:39 pm
Quote from: "side_show"
Quote from: "Bozack"
Dude, that's EMERIL!


What?  Emeril isn't French!  (But then again, neither is Mickey penis or Popeye)


nor is he a pancake.

I like Teodor ok, i guess, but:

What in the name of Spatula was he THINKING?

HOW CAN YOU FUCK UP A PANCAKE THAT BAD?  I mean, he's a supposed good cook, is he not?

It looks like a novelty pancake that was left out in the gutter overnight.

How can he cook it, make it, and look at it, AND THEN LOOK AT PHILLIP, and then GIVE THE THING TO PHILLIP?

i mean, how can he do it in a not-related to a comic strip way.
Title: August 12th- KLANK! SOB!
Post by: Mantonio on August 12, 2004, 06:03:14 pm
Quote from: "arkabee"
Quote from: "side_show"
Quote from: "Bozack"
Dude, that's EMERIL!


What?  Emeril isn't French!  (But then again, neither is Mickey penis or Popeye)


nor is he a pancake.

I like Teodor ok, i guess, but:

What in the name of Spatula was he THINKING?

HOW CAN YOU FUCK UP A PANCAKE THAT BAD?  I mean, he's a supposed good cook, is he not?

It looks like a novelty pancake that was left out in the gutter overnight.

How can he cook it, make it, and look at it, AND THEN LOOK AT PHILLIP, and then GIVE THE THING TO PHILLIP?

i mean, how can he do it in a not-related to a comic strip way.


Well, it's not like Philippe's guardian's don't have a history (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=12272001) of causing him hella trauma.  Maybe if those child services people weren't so busy getting mad rutty with Ray all the time, Philippe would have a better life.
Title: August 12th- KLANK! SOB!
Post by: agnes on August 12, 2004, 06:03:28 pm
Is it possible he did it on purpose? If you have cooking skills at Teodor's level of madness, then it seems like you'd have to try to make something that hideous. Was he tormenting Phillipe for his own grim amusement?
Title: August 12th- KLANK! SOB!
Post by: V-Adore on August 12, 2004, 06:22:00 pm
To be fair to Teodor, it is possible to be a good cook without having any skill at novelty pancakes. Maybe Teodor's dark secret is that he can't make a novelty pancake that doesn't look like someone stomped on it and called it mean names, perhaps as some sort of karmic retribution for being able to make risotto so good that it could make Baby Jesus weep tears of joy.

Otherwise, he was probably just preoccupied. Teodor really appears to have stepped into the "big brother" role, and I don't think he was intentionally yanking Philippe's chain as he might have in days long past. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=12272001)

As for the panel swipe -- you're right that it's not the exact same panel, but unless I'm missing my guess, the base linework of Philippe in the bed is an exact or near-exact replica. Maybe I'm all split on green, though.
Title: August 12th- KLANK! SOB!
Post by: AugustWest on August 12, 2004, 06:36:37 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Maybe Teodor's dark secret is that he can't make a novelty pancake that doesn't look like someone stomped on it and called it mean names,


Wow!  That is one hella obscure dark secret.
Title: August 12th- KLANK! SOB!
Post by: Steve Hogan on August 12, 2004, 07:03:49 pm
In Teodor's defense, most Mickey penis pancakes are nightmare inducing.

(http://www.summerlea.ca/images/panck12.jpg)
Title: August 12th- KLANK! SOB!
Post by: side_show on August 12, 2004, 07:35:46 pm
This makes me suspicious:

http://www.scott.k12.ky.us/southern/cookbook/mickeypenispancakes.htm

Quote from: "from the recipe"
Submitted by: Chris


I suppose you need "a cookie for the noise" because of all the screaming Phillipe does.  A cookie always make me feel better if there's too much noise.

Also, when I used to work at Wal-Mart, we always got these in for X-mas:

http://www.ekitchengadgets.com/micmouswafma.html
Title: August 12th- KLANK! SOB!
Post by: andalucia on August 12, 2004, 08:34:31 pm
That is a great recipe, especially the direction to use half a pineapple for the mouth.
Title: August 12th- KLANK! SOB!
Post by: Bozack on August 12, 2004, 09:06:20 pm
Quote from: "agnes"
Was he tormenting Phillipe for his own grim amusement?


"His Own Grim Amusement" is my new band. Our first album will be called Oed' und leer das Meer (http://plagiarist.com/poetry/1200/).
Title: August 12th- KLANK! SOB!
Post by: Lane on August 12, 2004, 09:39:49 pm
Is the alt text supposed to be a Beastie Boys reference?
Title: August 12th- KLANK! SOB!
Post by: Bozack on August 12, 2004, 09:41:44 pm
I assume so. I mean....four and three and two and one, and when I'm on the mike, this sucker's done!
Title: EEEEEEEK! It's not a penis!
Post by: Howdy Moody on August 12, 2004, 09:49:49 pm
I'm a cynical jerk, and very little makes me laugh..but oh, poor Philippe!  I think anytime I need a break from the world, all I have to do is look at today's strip one more time!
Philippe is the greatest character of all time.  I like him better than Jesus.
H.M.
Title: August 12th- KLANK! SOB!
Post by: arkabee on August 12, 2004, 10:13:12 pm
maybe it is that Teodor is a cooking idiot savant: able to make the bestest dishes with little or no effort, but utterly unable to short order cook to save his mother's soul from the grim reach of our evil lord satan?

i mean, when i was in high school and quite literally unable to walk 5 feet without stumbling from my sheer inability to even understand the concept of coordination, i worked in a restaurant.

First i was a dishwasher, and was promoted in turn to busboy, prep cook, and then short order cook.

In addition to making "the world's largest pancake, we bet you can't eat the whole thing and if you do we'll induct you into the pancake hall of fame! [1]" i had to make my share of Mickey penis Head Pancakes.

now, making them (while being wrong on many levels, including the amount of sugar surpassing a couple of Bowls of Captain Crunch, but then these sons of bitches give their babies Mt. Dew in baby bottles, so, *shrug*, they are FUN to cook/make) is not difficult.

The key to them when cooking on a grill surface, is flipping them.  i used the two spatula technique.  this time period is of utmost importance, as this is the prime formative period for the Mickey penis Head Pancake.  This is the time when it will get all fucked up in the head, since it's still gooey.

Once finished grilling, you simply set the plate ontop of it, and spatula/flip and oila!

add garnish to taste^hfinish the visage of the penis.

so, Teodor probably did not make it on a full grill, most likely in a flat skillet thing.  but, that would be MUCH easier to flip on.

so. maybe i should stop thinking about it.

--
[1] i'm sure it was not literally the world's largest pancake, i'm sure there were bigger, but this was in the town that hosts (or hosted, haven't been there in a long while) the snow-mobile derby hall of fame.
Title: August 12th- KLANK! SOB!
Post by: V-Adore on August 12, 2004, 10:21:22 pm
Quote from: "arkabee"
maybe it is that Teodor is a cooking idiot savant: able to make the bestest dishes with little or no effort, but utterly unable to short order cook to save his mother's soul from the grim reach of our evil lord satan?

My guess would be no. After all, in the cookbook he shows us how to make the Flavor Burger, which is basically just short-order food but better. Shit, I can cook a Flavor Burger.

See, I think what's screwing these Micky penis pancakes up is the necessity for full facial features. The pineapple half for a mouth is particularly intimidating and unnerving, in my opinion. It's like a miniature version of the Uncanny Valley effect.
Title: August 12th- KLANK! SOB!
Post by: jough on August 12, 2004, 10:31:11 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I like how the last panel is a blatant swipe from the first Philippe's Mom strip. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01292002)

I thought you meant he reused the exact same panel. But yeah, pretty close.


(http://achewood.plagiarist.com/images/sobs.gif)
Title: August 12th- KLANK! SOB!
Post by: V-Adore on August 12, 2004, 10:34:38 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I like how the last panel is a blatant swipe from the first Philippe's Mom strip. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01292002)

I thought you meant he reused the exact same panel. But yeah, pretty close.


(http://achewood.plagiarist.com/images/sobs.gif)

Oh, excuse me, I didn't notice the other arm. Or the pillow line.

Great is my shame and sadness.
Title: August 12th- KLANK! SOB!
Post by: arkabee on August 12, 2004, 10:46:06 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "arkabee"
maybe it is that Teodor is a cooking idiot savant: able to make the bestest dishes with little or no effort, but utterly unable to short order cook to save his mother's soul from the grim reach of our evil lord satan?

My guess would be no. After all, in the cookbook he shows us how to make the Flavor Burger, which is basically just short-order food but better. Shit, I can cook a Flavor Burger.

See, I think what's screwing these Micky penis pancakes up is the necessity for full facial features. The pineapple half for a mouth is particularly intimidating and unnerving, in my opinion. It's like a miniature version of the Uncanny Valley effect.


1- i'm pretty sure our evil lord satan is involved in there somewhere with the tormenture of poor, innocent, pure, little phillip.

2- i don't know what "the Uncanny Valley effect is"

3- i do not grok the intimidation of creating full facial features on food.  is it a neurose?  i guess that would explain it, then.

4- "basically just short order food but better" means it's the exact opposite of short order food.  

short order food would be "food, but not as good".
Title: August 12th- KLANK! SOB!
Post by: TALKYdude on August 12, 2004, 10:55:33 pm
arkabee-put uncanny valley into google and hit the first link. V-Adore, didn't even hear of it until now but that's quite fascinating. I guess it's why *****s are never *too* human-looking.
Title: August 12th- KLANK! SOB!
Post by: TALKYdude on August 12, 2004, 10:56:17 pm
What! I can't say roe boughts?!
Title: August 12th- KLANK! SOB!
Post by: CortJstr on August 12, 2004, 11:13:08 pm
Quote from: "TALKYdude"
What! I can't say roe boughts?!

http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?p=19450#19450
Title: August 12th- KLANK! SOB!
Post by: TALKYdude on August 12, 2004, 11:23:36 pm
My first Cort Jstr'ing. ::bows::
Title: August 12th- KLANK! SOB!
Post by: V-Adore on August 13, 2004, 05:16:15 am
You can't talk about *#*#*s because of a problem.

And to some up briefly what I mean about the Uncanny Valley and pancakes -- okay, take your sort of rudimentary Mickey penis pancake, the one that's basically a circle (or blob) with two smaller circles (or blobs) stuck to it. Sort of cute, right? It gets cuter the more accurate it gets -- the more circular and less blobular the pancake modules are, if you add little chocolate-chip eyes -- but only up to a point. After a point, the whole thing starts to look a little too close to comfort; it's not Mickey penis, but it's gone from "impressionistic penislike abstract food" to "thing that is almost Mickey penis but NOT QUITE and is thus unnerving." After a certain level of realism, things get creepy. To me, that point is a full facial-expression suite, complete with leering pineapple-half-circle mouth.

Your mileage and degree of discomfort with anthropomorphic food may vary.
Title: August 12th- KLANK! SOB!
Post by: jough on August 13, 2004, 07:03:06 am
:cunnilingus:
Title: August 12th- KLANK! SOB!
Post by: Bozack on August 13, 2004, 07:25:50 am
Quote from: "jough"
:cunnilingus:


Jough....WHERE DID YOU GET THAT?
Title: August 12th- KLANK! SOB!
Post by: jough on August 13, 2004, 08:42:39 am
Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "jough"
:cunnilingus:


Jough....WHERE DID YOU GET THAT?


http://achewood.plagiarist.com/posting.php?mode=smilies
Title: August 12th- KLANK! SOB!
Post by: V-Adore on August 13, 2004, 06:14:02 pm
Well, that sure shows me.
Title: August 12th- KLANK! SOB!
Post by: andalucia on August 13, 2004, 06:18:14 pm
Well, I should hope so.