The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: CortJstr on August 12, 2004, 03:00:48 pm

Title: It is not rad to like Creed! (split from 9 August Blogs))
Post by: CortJstr on August 12, 2004, 03:00:48 pm
Quote from: "arkabee"
Quote from: "CortJstr"

Like that concert where the fans sued Creed.

this is really true?  there is a god? santa does exist?

honestly, as much as i hate Creed, i'd have to say that being able to sue a band because they SUCK SO MUCH would, indeed, be a horrible precedent that my band (if ever formed in a near apologetic future) would never, ever be able to overcome.  sigh.  no cover of tiger meat for me.

My mistake, it wasn't Creed it was Limp Bizkit (http://www.411mania.com/music/news/article.php?news_id=4267). But in my eyes they suck equally so I wasn't that far off.
Title: It is not rad to like Creed! (split from 9 August Blogs))
Post by: side_show on August 12, 2004, 03:09:40 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "arkabee"
Quote from: "CortJstr"

Like that concert where the fans sued Creed.

this is really true?  there is a god? santa does exist?

honestly, as much as i hate Creed, i'd have to say that being able to sue a band because they SUCK SO MUCH would, indeed, be a horrible precedent that my band (if ever formed in a near apologetic future) would never, ever be able to overcome.  sigh.  no cover of tiger meat for me.

My mistake, it wasn't Creed it was Limp Bizkit (http://www.411mania.com/music/news/article.php?news_id=4267). But in my eyes they suck equally so I wasn't that far off.


Actually, you were right the first time, Creed has been sued by their fans for being shitty.

http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0%2C1%2C11668%2C00.html?tnews
Title: It is not rad to like Creed! (split from 9 August Blogs))
Post by: side_show on August 12, 2004, 04:47:33 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "the Creed article"
The suit contends that "during the Creed concert, Stapp left the stage on several occasions during several songs for long periods of time, rolled around on the floor of the stage in apparent pain or distress and appeared to pass out onstage during the performance."

You know, I can't blame him? Maybe he had a sudden attack of self-realization and deep, deep shame. I mean... I would, too.


You are so funny V-Adore!  That is awesome.
Title: It is not rad to like Creed! (split from 9 August Blogs))
Post by: Bozack on August 12, 2004, 05:01:03 pm
Quote from: "that damn article"
Can you take Scott Stapp "Higher"? No, say some disgruntled Creed fans, so they're taking him to court.


....WHAT? That sentence makes NO SENSE! Perhaps if Scott Stapp told his fans to lift him off the ground for free money, and they tried, but he was too HEAVY, and they realized he was CHEATING somehow, MAYBE that line would make sense. As they could not literally "take him higher," they would be taking him to court.

What do they TEACH in journalism school?
Title: It is not rad to like Creed! (split from 9 August Blogs))
Post by: V-Adore on August 12, 2004, 06:24:05 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "that damn article"
Can you take Scott Stapp "Higher"? No, say some disgruntled Creed fans, so they're taking him to court.


....WHAT? That sentence makes NO SENSE! Perhaps if Scott Stapp told his fans to lift him off the ground for free money, and they tried, but he was too HEAVY, and they realized he was CHEATING somehow, MAYBE that line would make sense. As they could not literally "take him higher," they would be taking him to court.

What do they TEACH in journalism school?

I think it's a reference to the fact that the lawsuit deals with him being so loaded (i.e. "high") that he was unable to sing. It's still sort of lame, though.

(And I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, side_show. If not, thanks. If so, I apologize and realize that making fun of Creed is sort of like kicking a three-legged puppy... yet, somehow, you can't not.)
Title: It is not rad to like Creed! (split from 9 August Blogs))
Post by: andalucia on August 12, 2004, 06:25:46 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "that damn article"
Can you take Scott Stapp "Higher"? No, say some disgruntled Creed fans, so they're taking him to court.


....WHAT? That sentence makes NO SENSE! Perhaps if Scott Stapp told his fans to lift him off the ground for free money, and they tried, but he was too HEAVY, and they realized he was CHEATING somehow, MAYBE that line would make sense. As they could not literally "take him higher," they would be taking him to court.

What do they TEACH in journalism school?


I'd imagine that they meant to suggest that Mr. Stapp failed to take his fans figuratively higher in the sense of musical ecstasy and whatnot.
Title: It is not rad to like Creed! (split from 9 August Blogs))
Post by: Limmo on August 12, 2004, 06:32:22 pm
Or perhaps a reference to their biggest hit, whose chorus revolves around the line "Can you take me higher?"  Am I the only person on the board who's actually heard the song?  Actually, don't answer that.
Title: It is not rad to like Creed! (split from 9 August Blogs))
Post by: AugustWest on August 12, 2004, 06:34:29 pm
Maybe it was a request.  Like, you know, can you take him higher, say to the top of the Brooklyn Bridge or Annapurna.  Then drop him off.
Title: It is not rad to like Creed! (split from 9 August Blogs))
Post by: side_show on August 12, 2004, 07:31:00 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, side_show. If not, thanks. If so, I apologize and realize that making fun of Creed is sort of like kicking a three-legged puppy... yet, somehow, you can't not.)


While I was typing the not sarcastic compliment, I was thinking, how can I make this genuine, without incorporating the annoyingly overused "LOL," but rest assured, I did indeed LOL.  Indeed I did.  But now, what I've just typed comes off pretty sarcastic too.  Sigh.

Quote from: "Bozack"
What do they TEACH in journalism school?


I am currently working as a journalist, and know for a fact that the publisher/owner of the fine paper I work for doesn't even have a highschool education.  Nor do I or any of my fellow journalists have journalism degrees.

Quote from: "Limmo"
Or perhaps a reference to their biggest hit, whose chorus revolves around the line "Can you take me higher?" Am I the only person on the board who's actually heard the song? Actually, don't answer that.


I'll answer this indirectly then: I hope that there is a beautiful alternate universe where an alternate me hasn't heard that gawd aweful song.  I hate Creed so very much.  So very much.
Title: It is not rad to like Creed! (split from 9 August Blogs))
Post by: AugustWest on August 12, 2004, 07:52:34 pm
My undergrad degree is in journalism.  See where that got me.  Sob.
Title: It is not rad to like Creed! (split from 9 August Blogs))
Post by: Limmo on August 12, 2004, 08:13:48 pm
Quote from: "side_show"
I'll answer this indirectly then: I hope that there is a beautiful alternate universe where an alternate me hasn't heard that gawd aweful song.  I hate Creed so very much.  So very much.


Line forms at the right.  

Creed.  The grunge version of Stryper.
Title: It is not rad to like Creed! (split from 9 August Blogs))
Post by: CortJstr on August 12, 2004, 08:16:38 pm
Quote from: "side_show"
I'll answer this indirectly then: I hope that there is a beautiful alternate universe where an alternate me hasn't heard that gawd aweful song.  I hate Creed so very much.  So very much.

This just in: Even without Stapp, Creed still sucks (http://www.insidepulse.com/article.php?contentid=20066).
Title: It is not rad to like Creed! (split from 9 August Blogs))
Post by: andalucia on August 12, 2004, 08:36:00 pm
Quote from: "Limmo"
Creed.  The grunge version of Stryper.


Nah, only in the "Christian and Lame" aspect... I suspect  it will be a long time before it's feasable to enjoy Creed ironically.
Title: It is not rad to like Creed! (split from 9 August Blogs))
Post by: V-Adore on August 12, 2004, 10:18:06 pm
Ah, that clears up the sarcasm point nicely. Thank you, then.

I almost didn't hate Creed right until "With Arms Wide Open," which was basically about how his wife was pregnant and he was going to do his best to raise his son to be a good person and not like him and KEEP SCHMALTZING IT UP BACK THERE, GUYS. This song was played approximately three times per session of radio listening for me, even if that session was ten minutes long, and so I quickly went from "I guess Creed is kind of okay" to "JESUS I'M GOING TO BEAT HIS HEAD IN WITH A TIRE IRON."
Title: It is not rad to like Creed! (split from 9 August Blogs))
Post by: Limmo on August 12, 2004, 10:18:31 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Nah, only in the "Christian and Lame" aspect... I suspect  it will be a long time before it's feasable to enjoy Creed ironically.


At no point did I ever imply that I enjoyed either band, ironically or otherwise.  Stryper are funny to think about, for maybe a second or two at random intervals, as long as you don't have to listen to them.

Creed resembled a horrible Moreau-style lab experiment, wherein Pearl Jam had U2's pomposity and Jim Morrison's fashion sense twisted into their DNA.  I don't think it will ever be possible to enjoy Creed.  

I think the only Christian rock of any kind I will ever be able to enjoy is this (http://ruthlessreviews.com/music/s/sleepjerusalem.html), and most Christians would recoil in sheer horror from it.
Title: It is not rad to like Creed! (split from 9 August Blogs))
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 12, 2004, 10:43:06 pm
Quote from: "Ruthless"
Do these guys make the Queens of the Stone Age look like total pussies?: Yes


I don't know if this is true, but for whatever reason, it cracks me up.
Title: It is not rad to like Creed! (split from 9 August Blogs))
Post by: slink on August 13, 2004, 01:18:31 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Quote from: "Ruthless"
Do these guys make the Queens of the Stone Age look like total pussies?: Yes


I don't know if this is true, but for whatever reason, it cracks me up.


:shock:
Title: It is not rad to like Creed! (split from 9 August Blogs))
Post by: side_show on August 16, 2004, 02:04:17 pm
Wow, I was so worried that I'd read the rest of this thread and find someone here defending Creed.

A memory:

I few years ago, I go over to my boyfriend's place for the first time, when we'd just started dating.  He had made and obvious effort to clean the place up, and his room was really tidy, but to my horror there is an unwrapped Creed album sitting casually on his stereo speaker.  I am horrified.  Me:"Um, so, do you like Creed?" Him:  "What?  Oh, no, that was a Chirstmas gift from one of my church-y cousins who doesn't know me."  Me "Oh, so you don't like Creed?"  Him "No.  Definitly not."  Me "Oh, good, cause I had a brief moment of rethinking the whole dating thing. Let's make out."