The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: TALKYdude on August 12, 2004, 10:42:44 pm

Title: New Intarvyoo: Thursday 8.12.04
Post by: TALKYdude on August 12, 2004, 10:42:44 pm
Quote
Chris Onstad - I don’t plot at all. It’s a stream of consciousness exercise. It seems to flow together well, so I’m pleased with it over time, but obviously it’s impossible for me to know how it looks to the mind that didn’t write it. There’s probably some logic behind the fact that I am not wealthy, though.
Heh. I was wondering about that...
Later he explains how it's not all that hard to keep up the blogs, it's the cartooning that's hard. I was wondering about that, too...
Quote
We’ve already been published in several of these types of papers, and have been received with the requisite “I love this comec [sic] strip!” as well as “cancel this offensive comic, immediately! It is hurtful against several concepts!” We’re used to that kind of whatnot from various outraged protectors of the private personal universe we all seem to share when someone’s mad.
Just funny. Go read the interview (http://4colorreview.com/index.php?p=243&more=1&c=1) if you didn't, you big silly homos.
Title: New Intarvyoo: Thursday 8.12.04
Post by: jough on August 13, 2004, 01:04:42 am
I'm glad to see him doing more interviews.  Hopefully he'll get some decent press once the book is out.
Title: New Intarvyoo: Thursday 8.12.04
Post by: district on August 13, 2004, 04:32:24 am
I'm glad to see the interviewer called all you morons "truly scary fans".
Title: New Intarvyoo: Thursday 8.12.04
Post by: V-Adore on August 13, 2004, 05:26:04 am
Quote from: "district"
I'm glad to see the interviewer called all you morons "truly scary fans".

Careful, now; you're infringing on FeroJ's sovereign territory to come around and bash us. Also, I am fairly sure that Jough or another of us (gabba gabba, one of us!!) left that comment, anyway.

It's a nice interview, but it didn't give me any great insight into his creative process -- that it's stream-of-consciousness, and that booze is involved, I sort of already guessed. I do just like reading his prose style, though. Whatever we say about him, the man can write.
Title: New Intarvyoo: Thursday 8.12.04
Post by: jough on August 13, 2004, 06:59:22 am
Quote from: "district"
I'm glad to see the interviewer called all you morons "truly scary fans".


Um, idiot, that wasn't the interviewer, that was a posted comment.

KNOB CITY is exit 13, on your next right.
Title: New Intarvyoo: Thursday 8.12.04
Post by: ferocious j on August 13, 2004, 10:10:53 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Careful, now; you're infringing on FeroJ's sovereign territory to come around and bash us.

Heh

I only tend to do that when you guys (read: Jough) are being egregiously venal/retarded.  Fan-wise, I'm just as scary as the rest of you.  Except for you.  And you.  And you over there, in the back.  Get out of the dumb-waiter!
Title: New Intarvyoo: Thursday 8.12.04
Post by: V-Adore on August 14, 2004, 12:47:20 am
Quote from: "ferocious j"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Careful, now; you're infringing on FeroJ's sovereign territory to come around and bash us.

Heh

I only tend to do that when you guys (read: Jough) are being egregiously venal/retarded.  Fan-wise, I'm just as scary as the rest of you.  Except for you.  And you.  And you over there, in the back.  Get out of the dumb-waiter!

Fair enough, but we need somebody to frighten the newbies into compliance.

"BE QUIET, BOY, OR THE FEROJ WILL GET YOU, AND THEN JOUGH WILL LAUGH ABOUT IT"
Title: New Intarvyoo: Thursday 8.12.04
Post by: jough on August 14, 2004, 06:11:08 am
Let's not all lunge in for the group hug at once, now.
Title: New Intarvyoo: Thursday 8.12.04
Post by: sailor on August 14, 2004, 09:58:57 am
Let's just avoid HHUUUUUUGGGGSSSS for now, Chucklebots
Title: New Intarvyoo: Thursday 8.12.04
Post by: side_show on August 16, 2004, 02:23:00 pm
Quote
Writing is much faster than cartooning. Cartooning is hard. Blocking out momentum and dialogue frame-by-frame is hard. It’s highly constricting to always work in that tiny format. Just jumping into a voice and working through a few hundred loose words is pie and jam, pastrami and swiss. I enjoy the new “blogs” very much; they allow me to develop characters much more thoroughly and rapidly than six panels a day ever could. I don’t know why I started writing the blogs, I think it had something to do with this new kind of mysterious cloudy rum, but since I did I’ve never regretted it. It’s a wonderful way to get into character.


Well, gee, I was about to call bullshit on this, but really, look at the horrible mass of writing I manage to do here in a week, while avoiding doing the writing I get paid to do.  I guess it is possible, but I still think I'd have to be on meth, or those candy straws full of sugar, to pump out this much creative volume.
Title: New Intarvyoo: Thursday 8.12.04
Post by: Golfhaus on August 16, 2004, 02:39:58 pm
He makes it a little easier on himself than I think a lot of us realize. We see him as the author of 11 blogs simultaneously, but he gives himself outs. Teodor's week-long vacation with his family, Pat's internet-free rehab stay, Nice Pete's sporadic posting, Little Nephew's weekend away. I don't think there's been a day where he's updated all 11. Probably easier than it looks.
Title: New Intarvyoo: Thursday 8.12.04
Post by: andalucia on August 16, 2004, 02:46:00 pm
Quote from: "Golfhaus"
He makes it a little easier on himself than I think a lot of us realize. We see him as the author of 11 blogs simultaneously, but he gives himself outs. Teodor's week-long vacation with his family, Pat's internet-free rehab stay, Nice Pete's sporadic posting, Little Nephew's weekend away. I don't think there's been a day where he's updated all 11. Probably easier than it looks.


Uhh, yeah, but nevertheless...

Myself, I'm always appalled about how much drawing I get done compared to writing, when ostensibly drawing's a hobby and writing's more in line with what I want to be eventually doing as a career.  Then I remember that I'm a teenager and within a certain margin not that much I do is likely to affect my life to any great degree.
Life is neat.
Title: New Intarvyoo: Thursday 8.12.04
Post by: jough on August 16, 2004, 04:16:29 pm
Yeah, he only updates one or two of them a day.  But even so, I'm impressed that he's kept up with it for this long.  

In any case, to those impressed that time stamps and such are right, I mean, that just takes care of itself.  He'll write as one character, then write as another reacting to something he just wrote the other character doing, etc.  

And then there's the interactions between the blogs and the strips.  

I like how the characters have their lives which they talk about in the blogs, and then have the strips, in which they are merely actors.

The strips are like the character's work.

Even today's strip has a line about not giving them much of a budget.
Title: New Intarvyoo: Thursday 8.12.04
Post by: CortJstr on August 16, 2004, 04:22:49 pm
See now I'm waiting for a blog entry being all snippy about something Chris put in the strip. Like tomorrow's strip is about Teodor's failed romance then tomorrow T has a blog entry where he's pissed at Chris for making a strip out of that.
Title: New Intarvyoo: Thursday 8.12.04
Post by: Golfhaus on August 16, 2004, 04:38:40 pm
Don't get me wrong; I'm impressed by his ability to keep that many storylines going on without them bumping into each other - i.e., we haven't seen Beef hanging with Ray at the same time he's supposed to be with Teodor, or something. It's just not as Herculean as some folks have suggested.

Does the strip itself factor into the blogs? Do we know for sure? We know that the characters often refer to the strip as actors might do while filming a movie - the introduction to the Ray-and-Beef-in-Hell arc starting with Ray and Teodor discussing the storyline - but although things in blogs have made it to strips, we haven't seen "The Strip" making it into the blog, to my knowledge.

If it comes down to something like what CortJstr suggests, my head might explode.
Title: New Intarvyoo: Thursday 8.12.04
Post by: palm trees on August 16, 2004, 05:06:12 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Yeah, he only updates one or two of them a day.  But even so, I'm impressed that he's kept up with it for this long.  

In any case, to those impressed that time stamps and such are right, I mean, that just takes care of itself.  He'll write as one character, then write as another reacting to something he just wrote the other character doing, etc.  

And then there's the interactions between the blogs and the strips.  

I like how the characters have their lives which they talk about in the blogs, and then have the strips, in which they are merely actors.

The strips are like the character's work.

Even today's strip has a line about not giving them much of a budget.


yeah, the whole fourth wall thing seems to be all over the place.
which, may i add, is very awesome. just thinking about it and trying to make sense of it has me thinking DAMMIT IT'S JUST A COMIC AND A GRAND ONE AT THAT
Title: New Intarvyoo: Thursday 8.12.04
Post by: CortJstr on August 16, 2004, 08:34:20 pm
Quote from: "Golfhaus"
Does the strip itself factor into the blogs? Do we know for sure? We know that the characters often refer to the strip as actors might do while filming a movie - the introduction to the Ray-and-Beef-in-Hell arc starting with Ray and Teodor discussing the storyline - but although things in blogs have made it to strips, we haven't seen "The Strip" making it into the blog, to my knowledge.

If it comes down to something like what CortJstr suggests, my head might explode.

The closest we have are the two "behind the scenes" strips and in at least one Ray's Place the strip vs. "reality" vs. realty situation was addressed.

Here we go:

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=08012003
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=12012003
http://www.achewood.com/raysplace.php?date=07162003&allnav=1
http://www.achewood.com/raysplace.php?date=04302004&allnav=
http://www.achewood.com/raysplace.php?date=06182003&allnav=1
http://www.achewood.com/raysplace.php?date=06152004&allnav=
http://www.achewood.com/raysplace.php?date=02162004&allnav=
http://www.achewood.com/raysplace.php?date=05112004&allnav=

Whew.
Title: New Intarvyoo: Thursday 8.12.04
Post by: andalucia on August 16, 2004, 08:35:31 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I'll CJ these items later if nobody beats me to it]


Initials?  It's come to that?  Egad.
Title: New Intarvyoo: Thursday 8.12.04
Post by: CortJstr on August 16, 2004, 08:43:19 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I'll CJ these items later if nobody beats me to it]

Initials?  It's come to that?  Egad.

Plus I feel pretty lame for using my own name as a slang term essentially labeling myself as a loser intergeek with too much free time*


*even compared to other intergeeks
Title: New Intarvyoo: Thursday 8.12.04
Post by: Bozack on August 16, 2004, 11:54:50 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Plus I feel pretty lame for using my own name as a slang term essentially labeling myself as a loser intergeek with too much free time*
*even compared to other intergeeks


Every time I feel that way, I remember that somewhere, somehow, there is a man in a home-made Tron costume, showin' off his junk. Comparitively, this board is like a Don Johnson convention. Of.....Don Johnson.
Title: New Intarvyoo: Thursday 8.12.04
Post by: Formica on August 17, 2004, 11:49:55 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I'll CJ these items later if nobody beats me to it]

Initials?  It's come to that?  Egad.

Plus I feel pretty lame for using my own name as a slang term essentially labeling myself as a loser intergeek with too much free time*


CortJstr, you. are. rad.

However:

Quote from: "CortJstr"
See now I'm waiting for a blog entry being all snippy about something Chris put in the strip. Like tomorrow's strip is about Teodor's failed romance then tomorrow T has a blog entry where he's pissed at Chris for making a strip out of that.


Hasn't it been established that the forth wall keeps the characters from reading each other's blogs? While items from the blogs may end up in the strips and vice versa (the two most obvious being the SaniSluts series of pr0n (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=07262004) and the Ray and Cornelius pool battle) (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=07272004), one would think Chris would've read Philippe's blog and determined it was he who spilled the soda, Ray would have read Cornelius' blog and realized he was getting played (even Ray isn't that stupid, right?) and Beef would have been clenching extra-tight and not been nearly so cavalier about his man-dinner.

I'm just sayin'.
Title: New Intarvyoo: Thursday 8.12.04
Post by: CortJstr on August 18, 2004, 12:38:36 am
Quote from: "Formica"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
See now I'm waiting for a blog entry being all snippy about something Chris put in the strip. Like tomorrow's strip is about Teodor's failed romance then tomorrow T has a blog entry where he's pissed at Chris for making a strip out of that.

Hasn't it been established that the forth wall keeps the characters from reading each other's blogs? While items from the blogs may end up in the strips and vice versa (the two most obvious being the SaniSluts series of pr0n (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=07262004) and the Ray and Cornelius pool battle) (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=07272004), one would think Chris would've read Philippe's blog and determined it was he who spilled the soda, Ray would have read Cornelius' blog and realized he was getting played (even Ray isn't that stupid, right?) and Beef would have been clenching extra-tight and not been nearly so cavalier about his man-dinner.

I'm just sayin'.

My theory is that it's not 4th wall issues, just friends agreeing not to read each other's blogs so nobody feels the need to self-censor. So while Chris wouldn't find out about Teodor's lady from his blog the topic might come up during their general interactions about the house.