The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: AugustWest on August 13, 2004, 03:16:21 pm

Title: RIP Julia Child
Post by: AugustWest on August 13, 2004, 03:16:21 pm
Dead at 91 (http://msnbc.msn.com/id/3694953/).  She was a great cook, a great writer and a great TV personality.  There wouldn't be nearly so many foodies in the USA today if it weren't for her.
Title: RIP Julia Child
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 13, 2004, 03:34:33 pm
Next time you're in the DC area, go see Julia's kitchen at the Smithsonian (http://americanhistory.si.edu/kitchen/index.htm) if you haven't already.

I expect a big pile of flowers to be left there in the coming weeks.
Title: RIP Julia Child
Post by: jough on August 13, 2004, 08:28:47 pm
Don't forget about Jeff Smith (the Frugal Gourmet), composer Jerry Goldsmith, Francis Crick (the DNA guy), comedian Alan King, Alistair Cook, Peter Ustinov, Paul Winfield, etc.

But you're right, no more than in recent years.

I guess I'm more aware of these things because of my participation in online message boards in the past year.
Title: RIP Julia Child
Post by: andalucia on August 13, 2004, 08:47:52 pm
and the guitarist from the New York Dolls...

that and Francis Crick were the ones I found saddest.
Title: RIP Julia Child
Post by: V-Adore on August 14, 2004, 12:51:02 am
I wanted to be sad about Crick, but, well, all the shadows of plagiarism... that he was a genius is indisputable, but that he was any kind of scientific role model seems highly disputable indeed.

Anyway -- God bless, Mrs. Child. May we always be grateful for your elevation of the American food consciousness.
Title: RIP Julia Child
Post by: side_show on August 16, 2004, 02:17:45 pm
I was so sad to hear this.  I loved watching her show, especially the last episodes- her voice got so insane - all pitch-changing-every second word, and she was so bent over the counter.  It was like cooking against the passage of time - there were lots of guest chefs who didn't know what to do with the whole "Julia" situation.  "I mean, lady, you're like totally bent over the counter - your chin is, like half an inch from the egg whites, and yet, you are the queen, so I'll just stand back a bit."

Also, I recently won a game of Cranium inpersonating her.