The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Bozack on August 13, 2004, 11:32:43 pm

Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: Bozack on August 13, 2004, 11:32:43 pm
Okay, is anyone ready for another session of CD trades? I'm currently making two CD's, a cover CD and then a random "awesome song" CD. Who's ready for CD TRADE TWO: ELECTRIC JOUGH-A-LOO?
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: CortJstr on August 13, 2004, 11:41:10 pm
I'm in if nobody minds my severe degree of lame.
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: V-Adore on August 14, 2004, 12:48:40 am
I will be in provided that I can acquire a machine with CD-burning capacity in a relatively quick manner. Here's hoping.
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: Limmo on August 14, 2004, 12:52:32 am
You bet your sweet Texas ass I am.
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on August 14, 2004, 01:08:18 am
Is this a swap group kind of a deal or what? 'Cause I remember people talking about some kind of chain thing last time and that was just nutty.
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: Limmo on August 14, 2004, 03:15:32 am
No, we couldn't agree on a method last time and just wound up sending CDs to whoever asked for them.  Got cool stuff from everyone I sent CDs to - well, almost everyone.
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: jough on August 14, 2004, 06:08:28 am
I was already working on "Songs to Make Love To - Volume Three - From 'Funky Town' to 'Everybody Dance Now'" to give to people who coughed up some dough for the tip jar in the past month or so - all three of you.

But I'd be up for another swap.  It is always nice to get pirated music in through the mail.
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: sailor on August 14, 2004, 10:19:49 am
i'm down as a clown; don't frown, prom gown.

but considering i'm just some indie punk, my cd will prolly noy be so much humorous as it is my-friends-bands-are-rad-so-listen-up

SEXUAL HOMEBOYS
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: andalucia on August 14, 2004, 03:19:00 pm
I'm in.  

Pretentious indie ahoy.
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: sjlimmer on August 14, 2004, 07:21:11 pm
Quote from: "Limmo"
No, we couldn't agree on a method last time and just wound up sending CDs to whoever asked for them.  Got cool stuff from everyone I sent CDs to - well, almost everyone.


As part of almost everyone (I sent stuff, it just wasn’t cool), I'm up for this.

Are there any constraints (themes, bands to include/omit, etc.), or is this yet another aural free-for-all?
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on August 14, 2004, 07:36:26 pm
I'm in.
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: andalucia on August 14, 2004, 07:56:32 pm
Quote from: "sjlimmer"
Are there any constraints (themes, bands to include/omit, etc.), or is this yet another aural free-for-all?


Themes are fun but depending on the theme it can be difficult to actually make a decent-sounding mix.  I'd be up for a theme or a free-for-all.  I just like pirating music.
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: slink on August 14, 2004, 08:38:05 pm
I'm definitely in, if people are cool with UK for mail, as I want to discover yet more new bands I don't know of, and this is a damned good way.
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: Bozack on August 14, 2004, 10:51:19 pm
Yeah, re: themes. I'm trying to do one of just covers, and that's starting to be a bitch, as I'm wondering whether High Fidelity rules apply, i.e. try not to put two of a single artist on a side, etc. This is why I have the secondary CD. Oh, and I probably won't be able to send or recieve until the 27th or so (damn you, college!). But let's get mixy.
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: V-Adore on August 14, 2004, 11:56:51 pm
Oh, and for the record:

I don't have a running list of who all sent me CDs during my Blue No-CD-Burner Period (I know Jough, Carlos, sjlimmer, and Starlight did, and there are probably a couple of others I'm forgetting), but I will probably be attempting to make up a Belated Mixdisc for those who sent me music uncompensated last time. So.. yeah.
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: jough on August 15, 2004, 02:56:44 am
I sent out a whole shitload of CDs last time, but I didn't keep track of who I sent them to, so if you sent me your address but didn't get my 2-disc set last time, just PM me and I'll make sure you get all three this time.

I got a new magic marker to make the cover art and everything.

Oh, and I have a veritably shitload of slim jewel cases thanks to Staples "Buy 100 Slim Jewel Cases for $5" sale when I bought ten packs of 100.
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: AugustWest on August 15, 2004, 04:55:06 am
If anybody is interested in an all jazz one, I'll cobble one up.
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: Flenker on August 16, 2004, 03:30:47 am
I would totally be in for a mix cd trade, themed or not.
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: Bozack on August 16, 2004, 05:44:46 am
Oh, jesus, I just realized that my entire non covers disc is alt-country. I need to get out of Kentucky, soon.
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: andalucia on August 16, 2004, 02:48:15 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
Oh, jesus, I just realized that my entire non covers disc is alt-country. I need to get out of Kentucky, soon.


There is no shame in that whatsoever; it just means that I'll be planning my disc extra-carefully so it will be for the most part free of alt-country, that dangerous subgenre that has been madly colonizing my music tastes.  Not that getting out of Kentucky isn't probably a good idea in itself.
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on August 16, 2004, 03:42:56 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "Bozack"
Oh, jesus, I just realized that my entire non covers disc is alt-country. I need to get out of Kentucky, soon.


There is no shame in that whatsoever; it just means that I'll be planning my disc extra-carefully so it will be for the most part free of alt-country, that dangerous subgenre that has been madly colonizing my music tastes.  Not that getting out of Kentucky isn't probably a good idea in itself.


My entire record collection has been carefully planned to include no alt-country, so somewhere, there is balance.

Now, how do we feel about songs with rather filthy lyrics?
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: CortJstr on August 16, 2004, 04:16:32 pm
Quote from: "PinkStainlessTail"
Now, how do we feel about songs with rather filthy lyrics?

Hey, it's not a mix CD without the greatest love song ever written (http://www.maryprankster.com/lyrics_mercyfuck.html).
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: V-Adore on August 16, 2004, 06:37:44 pm
My mixdisc will probably involve copious amounts of Mono Puff, because Mono Puff is one of the most fun, engaging sideprojects nobody has ever heard of. Also they wrote a surf-rock version of "The Devil Went Down to Georgia," which I figure will have to be integrated into my mix somehow.

Anyway, I have no objections to alt-country, although I am not entirely clear on what precisely alt-country is. (Shame!)
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: Bozack on August 16, 2004, 07:39:33 pm
Quote from: "PinkStainlessTail"
Now, how do we feel about songs with rather filthy lyrics?


We love them very much! We love them a thousand times! Completely! It is a love story!
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: CortJstr on August 16, 2004, 08:31:38 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
My mixdisc will probably involve copious amounts of Mono Puff, because Mono Puff is one of the most fun, engaging sideprojects nobody has ever heard of. Also they wrote a surf-rock version of "The Devil Went Down to Georgia," which I figure will have to be integrated into my mix somehow.

Um, I had never even heard of Devil Went Down to Georgia until the Mono Puff version came out.

Anyway, Mono Puff. Good stuff.
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: slink on August 16, 2004, 09:17:05 pm
I hadn't heard of Mono Puff 'til my mate got everything by both John's, as well as all the TMBG missing from out collections.
I've not listened to it all properly yet, as I only now have enough time to, but I did jump straight for the Devil Went Down... cover, as I've always loved the song (The Levellers and the Primus versions particularly).
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 17, 2004, 12:35:20 am
Quote from: "PinkStainlessTail"
Now, how do we feel about songs with rather filthy lyrics?


I wonder if any of the Meatmen's albums are available on CD.

"And now, for those of you who are going to go home and tell your friends, 'They were OK but I couldn't understand the words,' here's the first verse to 'I Sin For a Living.'"
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: sjlimmer on September 04, 2004, 08:22:29 pm
So, are we still on for this?  I've got one mix all lined up and ready to burn.
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: andalucia on September 04, 2004, 10:33:01 pm
Yeah, who's in and how are we organizing this?  My tracklist's almost ready.
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: sailor on September 04, 2004, 11:16:56 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Yeah, who's in and how are we organizing this?  My tracklist's almost ready.


Shit, i completely forgot about this until it got bumped. gotta go get some cdrs.
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: sjlimmer on September 05, 2004, 01:51:56 am
If anyone wants to see a tracklist, or feels like swapping without seeing what I'll send, just PM me.  Additionally, if anyone didn't participate the first time around, I still have copies of the first disc (tracklist here (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?p=10875#10875)), along with a second bonus I sent out to some people (tracklist available).  I'd be glad to pass either of these along as well.
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: V-Adore on September 05, 2004, 04:10:09 am
I should be able to assemble my disc relatively soon. Once I do, I'll note it and possibly post a track list.
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: jough on September 05, 2004, 04:40:16 am
Well, I'm in.  I have my third disc assembled and ready to burn.

But please, those with small children, pacemakers, or delicate conditions exercise extreme caution - you could be injured by my disc's awesomeness.
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: andalucia on September 05, 2004, 02:11:27 pm
Posting playlists are we?
Bah.
Playlist=spoiler=defeating the purpose, I'm inclined to think.
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: Flenker on September 07, 2004, 04:31:20 pm
well ifi this is still going on, let me know the details, and I can get a cd put together soon.  PM me or e-mail me at flenker (@) gmail dot com
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: V-Adore on September 07, 2004, 06:00:52 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Posting playlists are we?
Bah.
Playlist=spoiler=defeating the purpose, I'm inclined to think.

Fair 'nuff. I'm just saying, is all.
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: andalucia on September 07, 2004, 11:31:39 pm
But, I mean, that said, anyone who wants to see my playlist or wants a copy of the disk should PM me... I've been working on it for a while and I think it is a pretty rad mix.
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: Limmo on September 07, 2004, 11:39:04 pm
I am ready to go.  PM me with your addresses.
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: V-Adore on September 08, 2004, 02:24:03 am
Andalucia, Limmo: do you both expect return disks? I say this not because I plan to welsh on it -- no, this time I have a functioning burner, and oh baby will it burn -- but because I'm not sure whether to PM just yet or until I actually have a full playlist and such.
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: andalucia on September 08, 2004, 02:54:12 am
Well, yeah, it would be nice.  Don't worry about alacrity, though, I'm still fine-tuning my CD and haven't made a cover or anything like that yet.
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: Va on September 08, 2004, 03:15:44 pm
Is it too late to get in on this?  I love forcing my musical tastes on others!

What's the rules again, one disc all covers, one disc free-form?
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: jough on September 08, 2004, 04:23:58 pm
The rules are that your disc must be AWESOME.

I don't think there are any other rules.
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: CortJstr on September 08, 2004, 04:30:06 pm
Quote from: "jough"
The rules are that your disc must be AWESOME.

I don't think there are any other rules.

Everybody who hasn't tipped must send Jough extra goodness DUE TO PUNISHMENT.
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: andalucia on September 08, 2004, 05:13:36 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "jough"
The rules are that your disc must be AWESOME.

I don't think there are any other rules.

Everybody who hasn't tipped must send Jough extra goodness DUE TO PUNISHMENT.


Clever idea; I'd be down with it.  Do you concur, Jough?
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: jough on September 08, 2004, 05:42:11 pm
You could consider the extra goodness to be CAMPAIGN CONTRIBUTIONS.








DUE TO PUNISHMENT
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: CortJstr on September 08, 2004, 06:21:02 pm
Now we need a 527 called Achewoodians for Fair Leadership or something
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: Va on September 08, 2004, 07:06:35 pm
Perhaps I will lay my Birth Mix on you suckas.
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: andalucia on September 08, 2004, 09:41:17 pm
Quote from: "Va"
Perhaps I will lay my Birth Mix on you suckas.


Ai yi yi.  I can't even begin to imagine.
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: Va on September 09, 2004, 02:06:01 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "Va"
Perhaps I will lay my Birth Mix on you suckas.


Ai yi yi.  I can't even begin to imagine.


Jah willing, you won't have to.
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: CortJstr on September 09, 2004, 03:55:36 pm
Quote from: "Va"
Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "Va"
Perhaps I will lay my Birth Mix on you suckas.

Ai yi yi.  I can't even begin to imagine.

Jah willing, you won't have to.

(insert reggae music [Jah Works, maybe] and irie reference)
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: sjlimmer on September 19, 2004, 04:34:15 pm
People, people...is anyone still interested in doing this.  I've got discs all lined up and ready to go.  Just PM/email me your address, and we're happening.  Your mix isn't ready yet?  That's ok, too.  I'm still waiting on CDs from the first time around (V-Adore, I kid because I love), but I'm doing it again because I'm just that friendly/crazy/stupid/drunk (take your pick).

Additionally, seeing as Andalucia had all the music on her computer go poof (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?p=24846#24846), I hereby submit that we all send her mixes so she at least has something to listen to.
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: jough on September 19, 2004, 05:26:58 pm
I'm in.
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: CortJstr on September 19, 2004, 05:34:59 pm
I'm compiling a mix as we speak. But it's themeless because I suck at that kind of thing
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: andalucia on September 19, 2004, 05:39:23 pm
Quote from: "sjlimmer"
Additionally, seeing as Andalucia had all the music on her computer go poof (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?p=24846#24846), I hereby submit that we all send her mixes so she at least has something to listen to.


Wow, that's very magnanimous, but actually the first thing I did was dig out the hard copy of my tracklisting for this mix and download those songs so I could still participate.  So I would definitely like copies of all your mixes, but rest assured that I will be reciprocating in kind.
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: V-Adore on September 19, 2004, 08:49:44 pm
Quote from: "sjlimmer"
PThat's ok, too.  I'm still waiting on CDs from the first time around (V-Adore, I kid because I love), but I'm doing it again because I'm just that friendly/crazy/stupid/drunk (take your pick).

You have not been forgotten; now that I'm in possession of a functional CD burner (the one on my old comp died spontaneously before the last one, although I wasn't aware of it until too late), those of you who sent me mixes last time will get a bonus "V is Very Sorry For This Belated Mix" CD.
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: CortJstr on September 19, 2004, 08:55:24 pm
My lame mix, entitled Something Clever, is now complete.

PM your address if you want a copy.
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: Flenker on September 21, 2004, 06:57:21 am
I will have a mix finished tomorrow, so if anyone wants it, PM me.  It's shaping up to be pretty good, in my opinion, nothing too outlandish on it, just some good "indie", whatever that means.  

I'll also PM my address out tomorrow to people
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: Flenker on September 22, 2004, 04:44:11 am
ok, my cd, which I have entitled "Awesome! A cd" is now finished and will be shipped out tomorrow to those people that I have the address for.  If anyone else wants a copy, PM me your address!!
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: CortJstr on September 22, 2004, 10:01:24 pm
I've sent CDs to all who provided addresses. Including one to exotic Cananda, land of hockey and pro-wrestling obsessions.

I apologize in advanced to everybody who gets one.
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: andalucia on September 25, 2004, 03:54:03 pm
Eep...
Expect a little more delay yet on my CDs... my computer has died on me yet again and is "in the shop", and while I can deal with taking the metro to campus twice a day to read my email in the library, CD-burning is, alas, not an option for the moment.
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: Bozack on September 26, 2004, 12:27:08 am
Okay, my 2-disc mix, which is essentially "Happy" and "Sad," is going out on Monday or so. I'm sending to Flenker, sjlimmer, CortJstr, andalucia, V-Adore and Jough (if the last two send me their addresses). Who else?
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: V-Adore on September 26, 2004, 02:22:08 am
UPDATE:

My mix is quite thoroughly in progress; it's not ready for prime time yet, but it should be soon. ("It" may be "they," if only because I intended to send two discs to those I didn't reciproicate to last time, and so I might as well send two discs to everybody.) The tentative theme is "Things You Can't Say on the MB." Will post when I am ready to take addresses.
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: Limmo on September 27, 2004, 04:02:43 pm
I have been various kinds of sick for the past ten days.  And I'm trying to pack to move.  SJ Limmer will get discs soon, I promise.  

August's song "My Love Ain't Free" is in limbo for the next few weeks.  

Sorry.
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: starlight on September 28, 2004, 08:06:18 am
Wow, after checking out the response on the mixes so far, I'm wishing I participated.

I did make a mix last week for a friend, but I'm not sure how people would feel about it since well, I played a song myself.. yes, it's amusing for friends, but y'all may think I'm insane talking about sheep while playing a toy keyboard.  it's entirely up to you though.  the song is only 57sec, so it's not like the whole thing is me being weird... just an interlude.

PM me if interested.
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: CortJstr on September 30, 2004, 04:23:20 pm
Dammit people, I sent out like 6 discs and only have 2 comments in my thread? I need some validation up in here! Come on people. Criticize it, ask for recommendations on which albums to buy, something!

I'm needy, god dammit!
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: Flenker on September 30, 2004, 05:24:00 pm
yeah, what he ^ said.  I did post some feedback on yours now that I've had a chance to listen to it a little.  As far as I can tell, only 2 people have received my mix...  COME ON PEOPLE  (not CJ and Jough.  you guys are good people)
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: CortJstr on September 30, 2004, 05:30:38 pm
Quote from: "Flenker"
I did post some feedback on yours now that I've had a chance to listen to it a little.

Oh yeah, that's the stuff.
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: Flenker on October 15, 2004, 06:03:20 pm
Ok, sense many of you have sent me 2 mixes, I will be putting together a new mix for everyone!!!  Also, you have inspired me to actually make an effort with my liner notes and what not, so this may take a few days to get out, but I'll try to make it well worth the wait.  The working title for it is "Untitled Flenker Project, October 2004".  

And to Starlight, I apologize, since I came to this conclusion, I've decided that I'd send this one out with my first one to you, so that is why you haven't received the first one yet.  But you will soon, I promise!!  

I got Bozack's and Starlight's cds yesterday, and will be giving them a listen in the next few days.  From the first glance over them, they look pretty durn good
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: starlight on October 16, 2004, 06:39:35 am
Quote from: "Flenker"
And to Starlight, I apologize, since I came to this conclusion, I've decided that I'd send this one out with my first one to you, so that is why you haven't received the first one yet.  But you will soon, I promise!!  


It's all good.. more music is never a bad thing and I have patience ;)
Title: Can I Get a Witness?
Post by: andalucia on October 18, 2004, 11:55:40 pm
Hey, just resurrecting this thread briefly to say that my CDs are finally in the mail.  And Bozack, yours semimysteriously cost 18 cents more to mail.  Here's hoping that you dig it that little bit more?
Couldn't afford CD mailers, but if anyone's arrives broken I'll spring for one to mail him a replacement.  
Godspeed, CDs.